Would there be any interest in this?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

What would you do?

• Yes, I'd like to join, and code my own game.

Votes: 188 27,7%
  • Sounds good, I look forward to this.

Votes: 456 67,2%
  • No opinion

Votes: 22 3,2%
  • I don't like it.

Votes: 13 1,9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jayavarman said:
EU II = 2001

HoI 1 = 2002

HoI II = 2005
Victoria = 2003

Victoria: Revolutions = 2006

Johan said:
We're thinking about an releasing the sourcecode of a few older games to people with programming knowledge, and an interest in the games. You would get the opportunity to make your own expansion/boosterpack of our games, which you could then sell through gamersgate and earn money on your work. We would provide a forum for those involved, where you can communicate and get support.

We see this as an excellent opportunity to increase the life of the products and for our fans who improve the games to earn some extra money. Of course you would have to sign NDA's and a contract for it.

Would this extend to allowing inheritance laws in CK to be modable? For instance, to allow female succession? Possibly adding additional succession laws?

Drachenfire said:
Would this extend to allowing inheritance laws in CK to be modable? For instance, to allow female succession? Possibly adding additional succession laws?
We´re likely getting the entitr code. In which case. Yes it will be possible. ANything will be possible :) Question is more if you have the time, skill and opportunity to make the changes and if Paradox decides to release CK.

White Daimon said:
We´re likely getting the entitr code. In which case. Yes it will be possible. ANything will be possible :) Question is more if you have the time, skill and opportunity to make the changes and if Paradox decides to release CK.

OMGOMG! I would LOVE this!!! I wonder if anyone else would like to create this as well! Ive wanted cognatic primogeniture for years now, it would be so nice to play this!

leggbros said:
First, this is a very innovative approach, letting modders officially have access to the source code is something I've personally never heard of (but it probably has happened).

It's not very innovative nor is it particulary uncommon. Plenty of (especially FPS) games have parts of their source-code released (for free with a restricting license agreement) to allow deeper modding than is otherwise possible. Any good mods created boost popularity of these games; some mods have gone on to be commericialized (an example would be Counter-Strike, which used to be one of the world's most popular games).

Remember, at the very least, small source-code fix mods for EU2 would still require the original game. People would get an incentive to buy it. Still I would't get overly excited about selling EU2 or derivatives to non-core Paradox fans, for the same reason Paradox switched to 3D for EU3.

So at the end of the day, there are two reasons: 1) Boost popularity of and completely leave patching to modders for older titles, 2) If a mod turns out to be *very* good Paradox may decide to sell it (because their license agreement says they can).

It's a great idea, one I have been dreaming about for a very long time! Thumbs up for it, Paradox!

Will the NDA allow the following:
1) to examine the source code to publish (for example) better AI documentation than available, on the game wiki (without the need to sell it)?
2) to exchange source code between the members of the program (when someone would program something little like new event command or trigger yet this would be not enough to put on the gamersgate)?
3) no obligation to publish anything in a given ammount of time? If someone would just to examine the code, make maybe some little tweaks for personal use but never publish it (eventually 2) )?

Last edited:
jdrou said:
Victoria = 2003

Victoria: Revolutions = 2006

Victoria: Revolutions uses the same engine as the requirement game Victoria: An Empire under the Sun.

Therefore, the release date of Victoria: Revolutions is irrelivant, as the only date of importance is when Victoria: An Empire under the Sun was released.

So what's the update on this, then?

I believe the only games we will get access to are those which don't have a sequel (are not the latest of their kind). That would be EU, EU2 and HOI (not HOI2).

Of course I hope I'm not right and that we will get access to CK, HOI2 and Vicky too :)

The pros for the second option are that those games are still in the shop with normal price (unlike EU1 for 1 euro) so more add-ons would mean more money for Paradox. Who would want to buy add-ons for EU1?

Dominik said:
I believe the only games we will get access to are those which don't have a sequel (are not the latest of their kind). That would be EU, EU2 and HOI (not HOI2).
More likely way to differentiat is that it is unlikely we will get acces to the latest game engine, which is the one the next few games will be built on. This rules out EU3. Not surprising really. But all games before were IIRC built on the same engine, and therefore we could possibly get them. Vicky was never a huge commercial succes, but the micromanaging master of this community love it. So I would not be surprised if we got it. HoI2 is intresting, it is quite old. But the forum regularly has a newbie popping by saying hello because they just bought the game and love it. It is not a credible source for how well the game is selling, but it might indicate that the sales are so high still that paradox won´t consider it an "old" game. :(

White Daimon said:
HoI2 is intresting, it is quite old. But the forum regularly has a newbie popping by saying hello because they just bought the game and love it. It is not a credible source for how well the game is selling, but it might indicate that the sales are so high still that paradox won´t consider it an "old" game. :(
But the fact remains that Johan posted in the HOI2 forums (here, in case someone wants to verify this).

MichaelM said:
But the fact remains that Johan posted in the HOI2 forums (here, in case someone wants to verify this).
Yes. That is true. And I´m really hoping that what I wrote above is completely false, and that we will indeed get the source code for HoI2.
I would just LOVE to get my fingers into that. :)

YodaMaster said:
And this is a fact nothing was posted in EU2 forum.
Nor was anything posted in the EU1 forum, HoI1 fourm, Two Thrones forum or in the Crown of the North forum. But severel of these will very likely be included in this. Think Johan posted in Vicky/HoI2 forum because these are the most popular games that have a chance of becoming part of this great thingy.

MichaelM said:

Johan posting in certain forums is absolutely no indication of whether these games will be part of this [potential] initiative. It remains evident, however, that he posted in these forums solely in the interest of generating awareness of the existence of this idea and subsequent poll, as the Hearts of Iron 2 forum is especially active.

White Daimon said:
YodaMaster said:
And this is a fact nothing was posted in EU2 forum.
Nor was anything posted in the EU1 forum, HoI1 fourm, Two Thrones forum or in the Crown of the North forum. But severel of these will very likely be included in this. Think Johan posted in Vicky/HoI2 forum because these are the most popular games that have a chance of becoming part of this great thingy.
Quite true; I'm inclined to believe this explanation.

Hardstuff said:
Johan posting in certain forums is absolutely no indication of whether these games will be part of this [potential] initiative. It remains evident, however, that he posted in these forums solely in the interest of generating awareness of the existence of this idea and subsequent poll, as the Hearts of Iron 2 forum is especially active.
Also true. I was merely pointing out a fact, not (intentionally) reading anything into it. :)

Hardstuff said:

why not post in the EU3 forum then?

Dietmar1982 said:
why not post in the EU3 forum then?
Because releasing the EU3 source is around 5 years down the line because its the flagship of a new engine HOI2 will come sooner than that even if its not initially released.

Status
Not open for further replies.