Would there be any interest in this?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

What would you do?

• Yes, I'd like to join, and code my own game.

Votes: 188 27,7%
  • Sounds good, I look forward to this.

Votes: 456 67,2%
  • No opinion

Votes: 22 3,2%
  • I don't like it.

Votes: 13 1,9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
náraiC said:
Because releasing the EU3 source is around 5 years down the line because its the flagship of a new engine HOI2 will come sooner than that even if its not initially released.

Yes yes, I'm not that stupid :D
I've was just pointing out that.
If the only reason for why he posted in the Vicky and HOI2 forums, was to gather attention for this thread. why didn't he also do it in the EU3 one

This is fantastic news!! (Yeah, I know it's not "news" anymore, I managed to miss it somehow ...)

As a paradox / game fanatic, C++/C# programmer & software developer it would be a dream come true to participate in this :D

I can think of a number of cool features to add to any of the games:

* AAR support (event & timeline data, perhaps tag important leaders, units, countries etc and get logs of their doings, attach notes on objects during the game)

* Events engine expanded to contain events for more game objects (units, leaders, research, COTs, whatever). Allows smaller events to affect the course of history. More dynamic event system (perhaps more like eu3).
E.g. freak discovery during research can give boost to other research or production. Heroic battle results in boost of country happiness. New advancements might change resource type / amount in some provinces.

* units/provinces/buildings/... have histories -> easier to build dynamic events that make sense

* Story-driven scenarios (smaller scenarios, lots of events and more intense)

* New ways to play the game:
Duel mode: Nations are compared for points / glory / whatever.
Challenge play: Set own goals (explicitly ingame) and try to achieve them, while the computer / opponents try to make it harder to achieve them

* UI Enhancements: Alerts, advisors, more unique info on stuff

* Possibility of increased micromanagement combined with automation of features (e.g. more advanced research, but can be (partially) left to advisors)

* More dynamic unit / leader stats

That's just some of the wild ideas that popped into my head ...

I don't care about making any money on this, I'd be in it for the fun and challenge to create something that people will love to play!

psykho said:
This is fantastic news!! (Yeah, I know it's not "news" anymore, I managed to miss it somehow ...)
Reminds me. Its been 2 weeks since the announcement, some additional info would be nice paradox :)

Also hadn´t thought of that thing with AAR support. But it sounds great! I certainly know that when I play paradox games I´m almost always hungry for more data. The statistical/ledger thingy is simply too small! I want more stats :p

Something that would be nice in EU2 would be to more accurately record number of troops killed, attrition & disbanded. Currently it just shows the running total, which can be give you very little info if you don´t write the numbers down once in a while. Which really shouldn´t be the point. I would love for these numbers to be divided into periods. Peace and wars. That way you could measure how deadly the first french-british war was in relation to the second (and third, and fourth etc. ). The same would be wonderful to implement in HoI. Would love to go to the stats menu and simply see how many german soldiers had given their life for the fatherland during barbarossa. And to which fields of the army they belonged to. Possibly which division had suffered most. Would love to rename one of my divisions "Bloody Bucket" and purposefully send it to the worst of places :p

I don't care about making any money on this, I'd be in it for the fun and challenge to create something that people will love to play!
I feel just the same way :)

The first task would be to try to convert the VC6 projects to a Visual Studio Express 2008 C++ edition projects because that tool is free (even for commercial use) and Visual Studio 6 is not (and is so old that it would be hard to get access to it).

Dominik said:
The first task would be to try to convert the VC6 projects to a Visual Studio Express 2008 C++ edition projects because that tool is free (even for commercial use) and Visual Studio 6 is not (and is so old that it would be hard to get access to it).

That shouldn't be too hard. I have converted a large vc++ 6 project to Visual Studio 2005 (pro version) without major hassle.

White Daimon said:
Reminds me. Its been 2 weeks since the announcement, some additional info would be nice paradox :)

Well, this was just a "is it any interest?". Now we are working on actually getting a contract-template written up, and that will take time, as we need to consult lawyers.

Johan said:
Well, this was just a "is it any interest?". Now we are working on actually getting a contract-template written up, and that will take time, as we need to consult lawyers.
Assumed it was something like that. Stupid lawyers! :(

But glad to hear this is progressing nicely and will actually happen :)

And yes, I think your question has been answeared. "Is there interest?" YES!!!! :p

Johan said:
That is one thing and actually who can be involved?

Johan said:
Hopefully those devils (the lawyers, not paradox who obviously is worthy of godly worship :) ) won't ruin the idea, by creating some crazy unrealistic contract.

But it’s great that progress is being made, and if those high priced devils get their act together and come up with a contract template in a timely manner, everybody will be happy. :D

If I was a bit younger and had more time, I would have really jumped on this opportunity. It is really a fantastic idea :cool: ! Much better than just running hundreds of sims overnight to figure out how things work exactly ;) .

Johan said:

Could you tell us in the meantime which titles are in the basket titled "releasing the sourcecode under NDA"?

Thanks

Fiendix said:
even thoughts on the subject would be good... they must have thought about names?
But thoughts could be wrong and then they could be called liars by various trolls. Its the same reason paradox doesn't give release dates of games or patches till they know.

náraiC said:
But thoughts could be wrong and then they could be called liars by various trolls. Its the same reason paradox doesn't give release dates of games or patches till they know.

yes they do give vague dates/timelines - and nobody really complains when the dates pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.