• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I don't see how it's possible to actually remain independent with the guy, but I played him and I was able to grab much of Anatolia and get enough counties and duchies to be able to proclaim a Kingdom of Nicaea eventually (the use of holy orders helped greatly with the ducal wars). This is where I am now. The biggest problem was avoiding having my lands revoked, but I figured out the simple solution to that after a few reloads.

If staying independent is the challenge, then starting as the Count of Dal, between Sweden and Norway, is technically the biggest challenge. :)

I can't stress how much fun this guy is. A hard starting point, but three or four generations in and I'm well on my way to carving a mercenary kingdom for myself with Normans, Catalans and Franks fighting bitterly to drive ERE crown authority down so I can gobble up the weaker dukes!

I can't stress how much fun this guy is. A hard starting point, but three or four generations in and I'm well on my way to carving a mercenary kingdom for myself with Normans, Catalans and Franks fighting bitterly to drive ERE crown authority down so I can gobble up the weaker dukes!
About to try this one out for myself!

Yeah being independent is almost impossible during the first years, I personally had to become vassal twice (but only to catholics, not my first, historic enemies, the ERE), which was humiliating for proud Norman, but when Seljucks took half of Anatolia and Fatimids took whole Greece in invasion, I had no choice surrounded by hordes of infidels :) . First liege was Hungarian king, but since Hungary was too often occupied with civil wars and problems in Europe he didnt provide much of a help and I almost lost a game becouse of that. Luckly, Anatolia and LEsser Armenia, with good fortressess are quite good for defence and starving out enemy armies. After that I "thanked" Hungarian Kingdom for its help and switched to HRE (I hate to do that because HRE is too overpowered - unfortunately there was no other option - Fatimids swallowed whole balkans, Seljucks took caucasus, ERE survived only in Italy, and Crimea :O, even with HRE it was really hard to fight them sometimes) After some years as HRE vassal (and some really serious muslim invasions) I finally managed to become independent and create first catholic Kingdom of Anatolia - the eastern defender of christianity which looks really nice - sry but im so proud that Ill post it next time :). But then, now I cant count only on myself, allied with Kingdom of Ruthenia, soon jihads will start, mongols also wont wait too long for invasion, also ERE is trying to regain its power, so its only the begining of fun! :)

I also recommend to start as a serbian King of Bulgaria (also in year 1072), a one year King - Peter III Duklijan, who is historically the famous ERE enemy Constantine Bodin, a relative of serbian and bulgarian dynasties that used to reign balkans before Basil II. You just have two provinces at start (which only one is in your demesne), rest of your Kingdom is under ERE's control which also looks greedy on your lands. Also ull be having hard time with pechengs, hungarians, bassicaly anyone, and you cannot swear fealty - ure a KING (weakest in game but still :)) In real life Peters Kingdom survived only 1 year, disestablished by ERE. Good luck with uniting Balkans and bringing Bulgaria and Serbia to become superior powers! :)

No love for armenians? Let me fix that.

Duke Levon II of Armenia Minor, Third Crusade Scenario.

You start with good stats, but that's it. You have 4 demesne duchy with two vassals, which are luckily both Armenian and Myaphisite, and are De Jure part of the Byzantine Empire which WILL attempt to vassalize you into submission. Also, your other neighbour is an unusually strong Sultanate of Rum which, guess what, desires your land and holds the majority of the Kingdom of Armenia De Jure territory, which at this point has been almost completely resettled with turks. To add insult to injury, the remaining half of the De Jure kingdom of Armenia is divided between the Saladin and Tamari the Great of Georgia, country that is living its apogee.
And even if you manage to grow, the Mongols will be at your door soon.
On the positive, your character is not married and you should do this as soon as possible, seeing how your heir is your inept sister and you're already 37, and the weak county of Antioch could prove a good starting point for expansion (should the Turks not decide to assimilate you on day one) and you can destroy the Hashashins before the Mongols come.

The objective? Unite all the Armenians, including the ones living in Jerusalem before 1453.

King Levon I of Armenia, Hundred Years war scenario

Continuing what seems to be a proud armenian tradition, your heir is your mediocre sister. But this time you're a 41 years old married inept, who has obtained the crown by killing his very same kin. But, you directly control all the land in the "kingdom" (a 3 demesne big glorified duchy) and have De Jure claims on half Anatolia. Which is mostly occupied by weak turkish beyliks, but also by the strong Ottoman and Eretnid dynasties.. Can you form a huge Anatolian Kingdom and replace the Byzantine Empire as the main christian force in Asia Minor? Or will the Egyptians conquer your lands as irl (they will also call a holy war on you on day one and your only ally is the catholic Trinacria)?

I would add Eudes II, Duke of Burgundy, vasal of french King Louis VII, the Young, in the fatal year 1153 A.D, when former spouse of Louis VII (whose he in all his recklessness divorced to), Aliennor of Aquitaine helped the english king to inherit whole Aquitaine, the practically 1/4 of France. In the end half of dejure kingdom is now in hands of Plantagenets, and they also look at Tolouse with greedy eyes. As a loyal vassal of good, but not so skilled Lous VII, help him with defending the remaining french realm and reconquer the lands that rightfully belong to Capets! Of course, after French crown and lands are secured, you can stop being (or pretening to be) a loyal servant and take the crown for yourself.

I recommend it with CK2+, which is way better that vanilla imo. On the start France is generally on defence, the powerfull Duke of Aquitaine is only tille weaker than Louis VII, not to mention mighty HRE. However different part of your dynasty controls Kingdom of Portugal (or Leon, I dont remember), u also have a lot of brothers and sisters, who will be very useful in establishing alliances inside and outside realm.

Robert "Curthose", Count of Maine

Begin at Stamford Bridge as a 12 yr old Count, eldest son and heir to William de Normandie. Already with a slew of negative traits, expect miserable diplomatic ability as an adult, and - whatever becomes of the Norman Conquest - you will be constantly battling your two younger brothers, vying to remain the valid heir. Through careful marriage you could form alliances with other families - but of course the risk is choosing someone small enough to not be a threat, but big enough to be a help in any disputes with your brothers.

In real life, his long running discord with his brothers and father (three kings, no less!) was possibly the most significant factor in the end to the de Normandie dynasty. He went to war against all three of his closest male relatives, every time his miserable people skills costing him the throne (and general unreliability as he was quite a lazy, entitled sod). Impulsive, begrudging, and proud, but with all the social graces of a chamber pot at high tide. He was eventually imprisoned by one of his brothers and died only a year before his youngest brother (King Henry I) died, ending the line of de Normandie forever. Robert was a front line warrior, better suited to the battles of arms rather than politics, and his fate showed this.

Sweden, Kingdom of
1 Jan 1276 - Magnus III, Birger Jarl's son, nicknamed Ladulas (Barnlock)

Duchy of Ostergotland

1 Jan 1166 - Magnus Minneskold, Birger Jarl's father

16 May 1214 - Birger Jarl, who is said to have build Stockholm and who led the Second Swedish Crusade into Finland

Last edited:
I haven't gotten some of the newer add-ons, which may have changed things, but standard CK games have:

Gruffydd Aberffraw, 11-year-old prince-in-exile in County Dublin. Start as the count, build your base until you can restore the boy's claim in Wales, then play on as the Aberffraw clan.

Harald's two boys in Leinster (although they often migrate to their mom in Denmark)

The last Greek holdout in Naples

Komnenos (1066) & Palaiologos (1300s), for all their drama

Duklja, Duchy of
---Mihaljo I, Duke of Duklja, 15 Sept. 1066: Starts independent - needs one province to create Serbia. Easy right? Well not when both of those provinces are in the ERE. One is owned by your 9th son (that's right 9th) The other by the heir to the ERE not a man you want to get on the wrong side of. Can you form Serbia and go on to unite the Slavic kingdoms?

I did this before this thread was posted and it was AWESOME. I was actually hoping to form Greece after I culture shifted to Greek, but then figured what the heck Greek Serbia is also cool.

Why isn't this thread stickied yet?

Novgorod, Duchy of
---Sviatopolk, Count of Zaozerye, 15 Sept. 1066: It's tough to be a bastard. Your dad and uncles rule the lands of Kievan Rus, and you are stuck lording over a bunch of pagans in a county that has never existed. To add insult to injury, your liege is your own brother. Can you climb from the shores of Onega to the throne of Kiev, sucker? Real Sviatopolk could.

Yeah I'm always playing as this guy, a real challenge :blink: