What do you think of an AoD "Go Fund Me" page?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mr_B0narpte

Field Marshal
12 Badges
Mar 15, 2009
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Darkest Hour
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Pride of Nations
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
What are peoples thinking on raising some money as an "AoD development investment fund" - where we could potentially give a small amount to "hire" more developers to help push along 1.13 and potentially future updates?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, first I don't want to pay for something that someone else, Paradox, is going to profit from. The biggest restriction is the full-time developer and their working within any Paradox restrictions/policies.

Even just for 1.13? Could potentially trial someone for a few months, although even that sounds costly.

A student studying C++ and wanting some work experience would be the ideal candidate :D

Reactions:
IMO if I paid, I wouldn't want someone learning C++ because that would still leave the burden of checking and helping their work. There's so many places where one can go a contract an experience developer.
Indeed, but the main concern there would be the cost of hiring someone so experienced. Admittedly I was thinking more of students wanting to volunteer for some programming experience.

What happened to Lennart Berg and BL-Logic?

Just put some paid advertising of military equipment into the game and we will have enough funds :cool:

Maybe we should announce a vacancy for an additional programmer and try to find a person, who is keen to work for like 50% of regular market salaries, but will be credited with extensive promotion?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, first I don't want to pay for something that someone else, Paradox, is going to profit from. The biggest restriction is the full-time developer and their working within any Paradox restrictions/policies.
Is Paradox really going to profit from a 20 year old game because some mod got updated? Who are the new people who will buy HOI2 in 2023 based on that?

@st360
Why wouldn't they? If HoI 2 isn't an abandonware already, then AoD won't be too. This means, that every opportunity will be exploited.

I have no doubt, that there will be people willing to buy AoD in the future and that the state of development is going to have an impact on sales.

I only know one thing about AoD 1.13 development; that it includes a major task to completely re-do the existing tech tree (and I'm only about 75% sure of that, so my assumption could be wrong). I don't think that the existing tech tree is anywhere near that bad that a complete rework is required. The tech tree appears to be one thing that Paradox spent a lot of time on when developing the original HOI2 game, although I don't know how much the of the HOI2 tech tree the original AoD developers changed.

I'm more interested in improving the ai for the SP AoD game. I understand that if one plays only MP games with all the main countries (USA, ENG, SOV, GER, ITA, JAP, CHI) human controlled, then the poor performance of the existing ai becomes somewhat irrelevant apart from better small country ai performance and being able to bring new, competent SP people into the MP experience. Participating in an MP game is a big commitment, eg one 4 to 5 hour session per week for four? to six? months. Some people aren't able to make that commitment. The SP game can be used to test out new strategies for possible implementation in a future MP game. And what if a MP game only has 3 or 4 human players? Or if a human player misses a MP session, and while the ai is in control it completely trashes the human player's gameplay? So, there will always be a place for the SP game and a good ai. I do think that the existing ai is so bad that a complete rework is required.

It appears that the timeframe for recent AoD version releases (from 1.08 through to 1.12) is of the order of two to three years, and if 1.12 was released 18 Jan 2021? then AoD's 1.13 version development timeframe is not unusual.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't know how much the of the HOI2 tech tree the original AoD developers changed.
A lot :)
If you head over to the AoD Discord channel and post a comment wanting a 1.13 alpha release demonstration and others thumbs up your post, I'll schedule and do a demonstration this coming Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.
It appears that the timeframe for recent AoD version releases (from 1.08 through to 1.12) is of the order of two to three years, and if 1.12 was released 18 Jan 2021? then AoD's 1.13 version development timeframe is not unusual.
Thank you letting people know. The 1.13 release team has 4 really active members and some Alpha release testers. We've also brought on some members that will be playing major roles in the 1.14 release. The slowest part of the releases are the availability of experience C++ developers since they usually have full-time coding jobs that take 9-11 hours per day of their time. That leaves the release team with only one C++ developer and she's old, retired, and forgetful :D

Thanks CJ, I haven't been actively looking at the AoD forum for a considerable period of time and missed the 1.13 alpha demo (or all demos if there have been multiple) so I'll try to do that on Discord.

For more detail I have
version 1.08 release date: 24 Aug 2012
version 1.09 release date: unknown
version 1.10 release date: 7 March 2016
version 1.11 release date: 13 Nov 2018
version 1.12 release date: 18 Jan 2021

These dates are all my best guesses so could be wrong.

Wish I had programming ability but unfortunately no.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Thanks CJ, I haven't been actively looking at the AoD forum for a considerable period of time and missed the 1.13 alpha demo (or all demos if there have been multiple) so I'll try to do that on Discord.

For more detail I have

version 1.09 release date: unknown

These dates are all my best guesses so could be wrong.

Wish I had programming ability but unfortunately no.

I think 1.09 is from 2015 IIRC.

Maybe, but it's Paradox decision and you can't really force them to do so. Also remember, that AoD uses "Europa" engine from HoI 2. Obviously slightly modified, but the base is from HoI 2. And then you have 2 other games like AoD - DH and IC, both having the same roots.

Of course. I just think that as a gamer, Paradox should not be given any more money. Maybe if they one day could figure out how to make a single-player AI or stop releasing half-baked games and then a string of cosmetic DLC?

Last edited: