What are the most improbable things that happened in history?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
France never won a war against England?

With all due respect to John Churchill and Arthur Wellesley; William of Normandy won the crown of what at Hastings?

And, i'm guessing Normandy and the Aquitaine are still English? Henry V and the boys managed to get a good bit of plunder across the channel, but I think at the end of the day France won the Hundred Years War.

If you want to push it to post Acts of Union? De Grasse and Lafayette might have something to say about France never winning a war. But since they've been allied more times than opponents, you're shortening the playing field considerably.

Winning battles and winning are 2 completely different things. The English won most battles in the Hundred year war, yet became Aquitaine French. The battles Hannibal won were as useless as the American ones in the Vietnam war. Quite all battles between Belgium and Germany were absolute victories for Germany but they took German land.

France seems to be an expert in still wining in the end regardless of what happens on the battlefield, this is real statesmanship :)

Winning battles and winning are 2 completely different things. The English won most battles in the Hundred year war, yet became Aquitaine French. The battles Hannibal won were as useless as the American ones in the Vietnam war. Quite all battles between Belgium and Germany were absolute victories for Germany but they took German land.

France seems to be an expert in still wining in the end regardless of what happens on the battlefield, this is real statesmanship :)
IMO, I would say it is the opposite. They may be good at war but they are bad at politics. Machiavelli criticised the French for this, referencing their two attempts to control Italy.

They do have their shining moments though, like Philip Augustus and such.

If someone said to you "Imagine a sitting Us president vomited onto the lap of a Japanese Prime Minister and the entire thing was videoed" you'd say "nah bro, too far-fetched"
Not an improbable event by any means, but wasn't there a silly incident with some other president involving a hunting trip? Carter I think but not sure. Something comical about a hunting trip...

I have a few ideias, to name a few.

-The entire history of nations born in Iberia and their people, particulary Portugal.

-Democracy.

-The Romans.

-The Mongols, enough said...

-The 70(?) huge Pyramids in deserts of Egypt.

-The rise of any religion ever, of all time.

I have a few ideias, to name a few.

-The entire history of nations born in Iberia and their people, particulary Portugal.

-Democracy.

-The Romans.

-The 70(?) huge Pyramids in deserts of Egypt.

-The rise of any religion ever, of all time.

Care to elaborate?

Care to elaborate?

There you go, that what I meant, shall you care to read.

-Well, Iberia was invaded by muslim around the 730AC that conquered all the region but Asturias in a decade, them Chisitian took the region back turing the table to fully dominate in by 1500AC. Spain was formed because of marriage that united the two larges realms in the region to create superpower. Cristobal Colon went to the portuguese king before when to Spain to find funding to reach india and found America. Portugal survived centuries of hungry expansion mostly alone against Spain and only got under Spain ifluence because the king of Portugal died in combat in Africa and the PU of Spain created the largest empire in the world ruled by one king, be it Filipe II of Spain, or Filipe I of Portugal. Cortez managed to beat more than a miliion aztec with around 300 Spanish conquistadores. There are more, but the point is trough by now...

-The democracy of ancient Greece could not have reborn in the more modern world, or not in Grece at all in the first place. The light of democracy could never catch on later on and be a failed ilucion that never hit big, kinda like comunism is nowdays. Therefore, democracy was unlikecly to ever existe at all in the grand scale of history since was a exeption that became a rule.

-If Julius Ceasar had not crossed to into Italy, and if the Punic Wars turned out difrently, the history would be difrent no doubt. . And are many moments like that where against odds roman prevailed, it was not unlikecly on itself, but events add up to make history, and the brick or history is luck and Romans left many bricks behind.

-The pyramids of Egypt could be a tower, and could be tiny w and still served as tombs. However they where massive building that even today could hardly be replicated. Manage to endure in the deserts to tell us much about the ancient Egyptian culture. Probably not my brightest exemple amoung these, but I do like piramids.

-The profects of new religion could have been mocked or executed like Jesus did in his time, and the religion died with them to never even be heard and spread. The largest influence in the past was religion and if a single other religion "appeared" in place of other we had very difrent world. Imagine if whole Europe heard the teachings of a Aztec like relegion from the roman instead of catholics church. If the whole of Europe did ritual sarifices, the history would be changed to very difrent way.

-The pyramids of Egypt could be a tower, and could be tiny w and still served as tombs. However they where massive building that even today could hardly be replicated. Manage to endure in the deserts to tell us much about the ancient Egyptian culture. Probably not my brightest exemple amoung these, but I do like piramids.
pyramids are easier to make than towers. Towers are more difficult. You have to learn all that engineering stuff for it not to topple on any direction. Pyramids, on the other hand, is where you put a single block on top of 4 blocks serving as the support, rinse and repeat. I find it hard to imagine how can a pyramid could topple.

pyramids are easier to make than towers. Towers are more difficult. You have to learn all that engineering stuff for it not to topple on any direction. Pyramids, on the other hand, is where you put a single block on top of 4 blocks serving as the support, rinse and repeat. I find it hard to imagine how can a pyramid could topple.

Making it too steep, ie too tower-like. Early Egyptian pyramids were often failures for this reason.

Kiwi is absolutely correct, those pyramids aren't just slapped together. The engineering, their placement, their design, is almost otherworldly. To suggest you don't have "to learn all that engineering stuff" to build them . . . .

Wiggum? In addition to the kamikaze "divine wind" that disrupted the mongols, you refer to the hurricane that scattered the Spanish Armada?