• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I know the Old King Cole bookmark is as WIP and has bugs, but is it intentional that if Ambrosious marries a Briton woman like the Princess of Dumonia in his court, their fertility gets axed to zero? Is there supposed to be something later that resolves this? I see a flag ambrous_married in the char info but wonder if I should use console to resolve this.

Yes. Around 429 your wife will become pregnant and give birth to Ambrosius Aurelianus the Younger, after which your fertility will be restored.

Reactions:
I must confess that the mod brought to me great enjoyment, no mod for CK3 or CK2 captures so accurately the "feeling" of playing in the early medieval period so well. The harsh, cruel, chaotic nature of politics, the dynamic changes in culture and religion, the emergence of new, post-roman powers (the Franks), the difference of power structures from these of the later, "feudal" middle ages etc. It is a blast to play !

So with that said I hope that you have the time and energy left for a next, I'm sure great, update, and a possible map extension into Germania, Hispania and Italia in the near future. It would greatly ehance the experience in playing in the now, kind of isolated from the rest of Europe, Gaul.

Again, great work, cheers to you !

• 2Like
Reactions:
I have an issue: clicking on a character's portrait crashes the game.

I start a new game, load in, and click any portrait and the game CTD's before the character's stats screen comes up.

I'm playing on version 1.11.2 that's compatible with 3.2.2 from here:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/western-europe-410-962-the-winter-king/downloads/version-1112

I've verified the integrity of CK2's game files, and I've got not previous installations of the mod.

I'm using windows 10, and playing CK2 through steam.

Thanks in advance for any help. I can't wait to play this mod but I've yet to get over this hurdle.

Edit I: I forgot to add that this issue happens on the second earliest start, winter kings I think it's called. Not the old king cole work in progress start.

Edit II: I had the bigger UI mod enabled; didn't see it at first because I have many mods installed.

Last edited:
I have an issue: clicking on a character's portrait crashes the game.

I start a new game, load in, and click any portrait and the game CTD's before the character's stats screen comes up.

I'm playing on version 1.11.2 that's compatible with 3.2.2 from here:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/western-europe-410-962-the-winter-king/downloads/version-1112

I've verified the integrity of CK2's game files, and I've got not previous installations of the mod.

I'm using windows 10, and playing CK2 through steam.

Thanks in advance for any help. I can't wait to play this mod but I've yet to get over this hurdle.

Edit: I forgot to add that this issue happens on the second earliest start, winter kings I think it's called. Not the old king cole work in progress start.

Could you post your checksum and confirm that you have no other mods active?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Is it intended that:

I) There seem to be a lot of characters with high stats ? E.g., I'm playing an Irish Pagan "King" (It's a ducal title, so I dunno if that's the equivalent of an Irish petty king or something), and I use the character finder to search for males eligible to join my court. I find characters of my culture and religion with stats in the mid to high twenties and even mid thirties.

II) Having these characters join my court doesn't seem to cost me any gold, prestige, or anything. I've even got the option disabled that lets you invite anyone to court, or whatever the option is.

Thanks for any help, wondering if I've installed it wrong or something - it seems too beneficial to the player.

Edit: Also, I'm getting the modifier "hapless ruler, -80 opinion". Why ? I didn't enable the "weak tribal king" game rule or whatever that was, because it both didn't state what the rule did, and it also stated that it was in beta.

Last edited:
Is it intended that:

I) There seem to be a lot of characters with high stats ? E.g., I'm playing an Irish Pagan "King" (It's a ducal title, so I dunno if that's the equivalent of an Irish petty king or something), and I use the character finder to search for males eligible to join my court. I find characters of my culture and religion with stats in the mid to high twenties and even mid thirties.

II) Having these characters join my court doesn't seem to cost me any gold, prestige, or anything. I've even got the option disabled that lets you invite anyone to court, or whatever the option is.

Thanks for any help, wondering if I've installed it wrong or something - it seems too beneficial to the player.

Not seeing this - the best courtiers I can find to invite generally have stats in the low to mid twenties, and will only agree to join my court if they particularly like me and/or dislike their current host, which is consistent with vanilla. Perhaps you still have another mod enabled?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Edit: Also, I'm getting the modifier "hapless ruler, -80 opinion". Why ? I didn't enable the "weak tribal king" game rule or whatever that was, because it both didn't state what the rule did, and it also stated that it was in beta.

Missed this earlier. This modifier has nothing to do with that game rule, basically what it says is that your prestige is too small relative to your realm size.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Not seeing this - the best courtiers I can find to invite generally have stats in the low to mid twenties, and will only agree to join my court if they particularly like me and/or dislike their current host, which is consistent with vanilla. Perhaps you still have another mod enabled?

I have no other mods enables, and I can definitely find characters who won't join my court. I'll check my save and see if I'm mistaken about enabling the game rule; I did restart a few times because of the issues I was having with the bigger UI mod.

If I enable the "all characters join court" or whatever the relevant game rule is, does that mean that it won't be possible to find someone who won't join my court, or does it just increase the likelihood that characters do ?

Missed this earlier. This modifier has nothing to do with that game rule, basically what it says is that your prestige is too small relative to your realm size.

Ah, okay, guess my son taking over 3/4 of Eire with 2000 prestige is a bit of a problem then. Every character in the known world has -100 opinion of me. This will be fun.

Any idea/tips on how to mitigate this ? I may just disable it if I can't make it work haha.

Thanks for your quick and helpful reply !

I have no other mods enables, and I can definitely find characters who won't join my court. I'll check my save and see if I'm mistaken about enabling the game rule; I did restart a few times because of the issues I was having with the bigger UI mod.

If I enable the "all characters join court" or whatever the relevant game rule is, does that mean that it won't be possible to find someone who won't join my court, or does it just increase the likelihood that characters do ?

I'm not sure (I've never toggled that game rule), but I think it just makes it easier to invite people.

Ah, okay, guess my son taking over 3/4 of Eire with 2000 prestige is a bit of a problem then. Every character in the known world has -100 opinion of me. This will be fun.

Any idea/tips on how to mitigate this ? I may just disable it if I can't make it work haha.

Thanks for your quick and helpful reply !

The intended way of mitigating it is to reform your government. Large tribal realms are meant to be intrinsically unstable and unsustainable.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm not sure (I've never toggled that game rule), but I think it just makes it easier to invite people.

The intended way of mitigating it is to reform your government. Large tribal realms are meant to be intrinsically unstable and unsustainable.

Thanks ! So, if I reform into a high tribal government the weak ruler penalty disappears or is lessened ?

Thanks ! So, if I reform into a high tribal government the weak ruler penalty disappears or is lessened ?

Yes, it'll be lower at High Tribal (but probably still not great as it sounds like you're very big) and disappears entirely upon reforming out of tribalism.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think you set a false title flag here?
1671805317763.png

Just dropping to say that I've been playing in Wales (starting as Caredigion) and I like the mod more than I expected. More than anything else I like the scale of the map. It feels about right and makes the British Isles a lot more compelling to play in. I like that the total number of provinces is smaller than the vanilla as it runs smoother and I think that it makes the focus more obvious and individual parts of the map more flashed out.
Second I enjoy the time period (WTWSMS is my fav mod after all). Third I enjoy a lot of care you put in creating individual dynasties and at least Wales is super fun in this regard.
I def looking forward to playing more.

• 1Like
Reactions: