• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
GG wolves and thank you Johho for GMing.

What I feared the most actually happened - I became a chew toy for the wolves. I told the village to run me up EARLY in the day, but no, they decided to let the wolves lynch me with a late swing. And they initiated one without even dirtying their hands too much.

My favorite part of the game was sending in the hunt order at the end. There is nothing better than the feeling of imminent victory, and the knowledge that you have just played a key role in it.

Personally, I think the village had given up by then. They followed my clumsy lies like sheep, except Boris who at least protested.

Even if the game was a bit tilted in the baddies favor, not a shock as few games are not tilted at least a little, players still make it happen either way (with random also). By the time I was hunted I started to suspect some vocals were a bit...off but lack of time and focus made that too slow. I am guessing none of the other protectors coordinated with anyone by games look, did we have a witness that did anything? I don't remember either way. Random luck also always matters, a game can have 2-3 cursed and all get hit or as sometimes happens 6 cursed and never hit oddly. All in all it was at least fun for most aye? And if so it was a success, winning IS fun but some forget it can be more fun to make a big impact and lose as opposed sit on your butt and get a cheap win. Play long enough and the cheap wins come.
Yes, I tilted the game in favor of the baddies. In my earlier games I have had 8 goodie wins and 1 baddie win (when I had to autolynch the AWOL seer on Day 3). So I thought I'd have to give the baddies more than I usually give them, more traits and more starting players. Maybe I overdid it, maybe not. Here though I think more active/"good" players ended up as baddies than as goodies and that could (and should) of course influence the outcome.

Luck also played a part. There were lots of unused Blessed people left when the game ended for example. Had the seer scanned even one wolf that would probably have sparked a better coordinated JL (or maybe it would just have made finding the important goodies easier for a baddie infiltrator, we will never know).

Having the sorcerer connect the two packs night 0 was also "luck" but not every sorcerer would manage to keep both packs happy (away from intrapack fighting) until a baddie victory was assured.

But the goodies also made several bad decisions that all chipped in and helped the baddies. For instance very few goodies picked roles/traits that helped them find information (seer, priest, one-time scanners, witness, SW and SA) and instead focused on killing (brutal, hunter, plotter, leader) or protection (GA, doc, cloak, lover, leader).

Absolutely agree with j-L on the fun games vs. easy wins!

Sounds right. Only need a way to make the steal apprentices work with that. Limit stealing to between seer/priest maybe or from goodie to baddie?

Something like that, I guess. Though it does sounds a bit clunky.

I think so too. (I was very disappointed when I had a similar trait "can see dead people" in Kaetje's Lost game and timed it perfectly and then got almost nothing for that.)

I like that trait. It's a "crap, we lost the seer, maybe we can salvage his last scan" trait. Mitigates losing scanners a little bit without actually pushing the game off-balance.

The village vote was irrelevant, yes. Given how you phrased your orders there were actually a way for the village to use its remaining traits to get the game to last at least one more day.

tamius using the cloak, you mean?
Why did you think I asked the wolves to send in a backup list for if that hunt didn't go through for some reason?
Might have let a stitch drop there, mind ..

But this means that the game should only end when there's truly no way left for the village to win. Imagine, if you will, 4 wolves left, 2 regular villagers and 2 goodie Hunters. Is this village doomed? Close, but not quite. Should the wolves try to force their victory by putting 4 votes on a villager, they expose themselves. The 4 remaining villagers vote a wolf, giving a tie. 3 vs. 3. If both Hunters remain alive, they kill 2 wolves and the wolf hunts one villager. 2 villagers, one wolf left. Village wins probably. Of course, if the wolves had voted and thus lynched one of the hunters, they'd have guaranteed their victory.

That kind of thing doesn't happen a lot though, and it makes the exact victory conditions a tad unclear. I mean, the village could win as a lone villager against 10 trait laden wolves, if all 10 of those forget to send in votes or orders..

@johho - gief more AAR! :p

I like that trait. It's a "crap, we lost the seer, maybe we can salvage his last scan" trait. Mitigates losing scanners a little bit without actually pushing the game off-balance.
Exactly but all I got for guessing in advance which exact night the seer would die was to see who he scanned but not the scan result (or was it the scan result but not who it referred to?). I think if you time it right you should get the full scan result. Why didn't I put that in in this game?

tamius using the cloak, you mean?
Why did you think I asked the wolves to send in a backup list for if that hunt didn't go through for some reason?
Might have let a stitch drop there, mind ..
A really unlikely scenario could be constructed which could have ended with a Swedenborg victory. I'll explain when I get there in the AAR.

@johho - gief more AAR! :p
Patience is a virtue.

The GM AAR part 4 - The Role Playing Traits

Proud - anytime when someone votes you, you must do one of the following things:
- challenge him to a duel
- counter-vote him
- insult someone in his family
- insult his country of origin

Lisp - you mustn't use the letter "s" or substitute it if "th".

Foreigner - you must do one of the following things:
- run your posts (excluding the "vote player X" part) through 3 automatic translations, where one of the languages must be Hungarian, ending in English.
- use broken English.
- must put in three foreign words in each post, a couple of "mon dieu" and "alors" will do nicely if you pick French.

Womanizer - you must flatter anyone role playing as a woman, praise their insights into the game, their shapely legs etc. and maybe even follow their votes now and then.

Drunk - either you should be obsessed with rum or you should post as if drunk in real life "Yu idoit! Why you vote me wneh I only votde for godiis!?"

Religious - you must use the phrase "may good have mercy on his soul" when referring to a dead player and state "Praise the Lord" in case a baddie is lynched. More mentioning of Lord, God, Christ etc. is of course also welcome.

Nationalist - anytime someone mentions a nation or a language you need to tell him how much better things work in your (RPing) home country, preferably not England (in which case use the region like Yorkshire or Cornwall).

Poet - you need to rhyme or at least break up your post as if it was a poem (every now and then, not every post).
A
"Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
I cast my vote on You"
or
"Blood, gore and Meed
The culprit must be Steed"
or
"One yellow wolf
Two yellow cultist
Are all dead
Now seek we must
Red Ones"
would do just fine

Plain - you can do whatever you want RPing wise.

Or you can invent a RPing trait yourself and I'll put it in the Rules. For example what would "cook", "supersticious", "coward", "lord" or "gambler" mean? Make the rules yourself and then live with the consequences. :D

EDIT: Some comments:

If we use RPing traits and hide the exact definition like I did I think it shouldn't be allowed to say I did this because my RPing trait but leave that to the players to figure out. I should make for fun situations.

None of the "Proud" players dared challenge someone to a duel. I wonder if they thought I was going to use the "duel" in-game?

Last edited:
Exactly but all I got for guessing in advance which exact night the seer would die was to see who he scanned but not the scan result (or was it the scan result but not who it referred to?). I think if you time it right you should get the full scan result. Why didn't I put that in in this game?

Err .. the original one was usable at any point after the scanner in question died, not just the same night that the hunt happened. And it would give you the full result ..
What you describe sounds rather crap :p

A really unlikely scenario could be constructed which could have ended with a Swedenborg victory. I'll explain when I get there in the AAR.

A village win was pretty bloody unlikely at that point though .. :p

Patience is a virtue.

I'm sorry. I haven't won any big games in quite some time and this one was .. nice. Good to see that I've learned something from my abysmal failures in the past :p

None of the "Proud" players dared challenge someone to a duel. I wonder if they thought I was going to use the "duel" in-game?

I thought that that was exactly what I did with Najs at some point .. I kinda forgot about that trait later in the game though.

The GM AAR part 5 - The Early Days

Day 0 and Night 0
Village elected AOK. 11 the villager and pevergreen the distiller cultist as eldermen.
AOK got Cloak of invisibility and Priestly powers, pevergreen got blessed and 8th in command.
Seer scanned enkhuush the apprentice (with a hidden Touch of Good) :)
GA Paen protected walrus the villager
GA jacob protected snoopdogg the cursed villager
Doc protected reis91 the villager
Lover Kiwi slept with his wolf master, the_hdk
Lover Suirantes slept with OrangeYoshi the SA villager
Distiller pevergreen kept his rum to himself
Distiller Bagricula shared rum with tamius23
Sorcerer scanned Vainglory the SA cultist :) (Vainglory saw that "a sorcerer" scanned him)
Rousseau tried to eat humancalculator the blessed werewolf

I was hoping for a goodie as elderman since I felt I needed to balance out some traits. As it happened it was a tie and I gave the villager priestly powers (because the village would need it) and a cloak (since the elderman is likely to get lynched). The baddie got a blessed (since the other pack had one) and a 8th in command (since I had to give him something and I didn't want to tell him he got blessed).
This is the second game I hosted where the cultist lover decided to sleep with his master. Why are they doing that!? They block their own master and they risk a double loss if the master is hunted by the other pack. I just don't get it. Are they seeing something in the rules I don't?
Good for the goodies that the seer found an apprentice since all the other JLers went for protector roles.

Yakman said:
The Rousseau Pack will hunt: RANDAKAR
Say what!?

Lord_D said:
That's the message I received from my cultist,Taiisatai64. I told him he could already tell randy we hunt on night 0 (and even nights). What could we let randy know? Apparently he started off in contact with Taiisatai64 (he just told me that) so perhaps he started off in contact with both packs? I do believe there can only be one sorcerer so..

On a related note, what can we let the cultists know? Personally I believe in actively engaging them in our activities (well the talking bit at least, not the murdering) as else a cultist's role can be really boring + they can give good insight. Won't make that decision without your approval though.
And the Rousseau wolves have already forgotten that they could pick sorcerer and that their pick PM included rules for handling multiple sorcerers...

Lord_D said:
GM, change the hunt order to humancalculator.
You guys can change it if you want, but obviously not back to randakar :p
That's more like it.

randakar said:
Taiisatai64 said:
All I know is we hunt on even nights, starting tonight. Also, you were the hunt target :p
That would have been unfortunate :p

randakar said:
Don't forget the package I had dropped off by way of sorcerer mail. Should come in handy.
Ok, it is just me, or is he looking for a sorcerer to mail him and/or a sorcerer looking to be mailed?
jacob is puzzling the sorcerer.

The packs are trying to figure out how the setup was done:

randakar said:
Taiisatai64 said:
Did I tell you my traits? I am a Spiritually Attuned Hunter Cultist.
Nice :) Good thing that I didn't go that route then ..

I wonder how many wolves we have. Possibly not a lot - being a trait laden cultist or sorcerer seems such a no brainer when compared to being a wolf ..
Actually that seemed to be more a player type decision. Active/talkative players went that way, more silent players opted for wolf.

EUROO7 said:
Vainglory said:
EUROO7 said:
Vainglory said:
Well, I hope I'm not on your ignore list, because Johho made you my wolf-master. Hunter and Spiritually Attuned.
Brutal Werewolf. How many points did he give you?
Eight, which would be the same as you unless he had different prices on the traits: for me a wolf was 4, and brutal was 4. I nearly went brutal wolf, because I thought the pack might be low on wolves and heavy on cultists. But I too a gamble that we had enough wolves, and went for cultist (1pp), with hunter trait (5pp), and SA (2pp). I was considering distiller (4) plotter (1) SA (2) cultist (1), but since plotter votes are revealed after deadline the fun I could have with it while surviving is limited (if the plotter's vote was concealed, which I suppose is UB, I'd make ties whenever possible for havoc... but I'd rather not waste my life that way). And also if I was distilling I wouldn't be SA the night I was distilling. I figured distiller would be popular, and so too scanners, so I went SA.

Which worked on the first night: Randakar is a sorcerer and has scanned me (my SA pinged a scan, and a sorc, but not who; Randy contacted me after so it's kosher). Taiisatai64 is a cultist from Rousseau pack. Are you Rousseau pack too? If not, you could hunt Tai, but he'll count for parity in either pack. If you're not Rousseau we might be able to use Randy to hurt the other pack.
Yes, I sacrificed myself by taking Brutal werewolf because I feared a pack of cultists. Far as I am aware, we are six in the Swedenborg pack. Three wolves, three cultists. Taii is not among these, nor is Randy.*

randakar was part of the Rousseau and started in contact with one of their cultists. Now he scanned a cultist in the other pack. Oh-oh, baddie coordination from day 1. This will not end well for the village.

EUROO7 said:
Johho, change standing hunt order to the following: (will probably change)
Hunt taiisatai, Backup Reis, Backup Randy
Yakman said:
i would recommend killing vain ASAP. admittedly, right now, he's not a major threat.
Or maybe it will? Are the wolves so afraid of the unaligned baddies they'd rather eat them then the goodies?

Trinitrotoluen said:
I'd rather hunt for the Seer first if it is all right with you. Vainglory can always be lynched for credibility.
That's what I would have done.

Yakman said:
of course not. but ANY line of communication to Randakar is dangerous.
QFT. :D

Trinitrotoluen said:
Yakman said:
also, does anyone know what to make of the humancalculator save? just plain dumb luck? was he blessed? thoughts?
With the pick-your-trait system I think blessed is the most likely option.
What!? I never considered giving out hidden traits with the pick point system! But of course the players didn't know that...

Day 1 and Night 1
Village lynched tamius23 the SA villager.
Seer scanned Paendrag the GA
GA Paen protected Rendap the seer (good to see the JLers are looking after eachother. :p)
GA jacob protected AOK. 11 the villager
Doc protected AOK. 11 the villager
Lover Kiwi slept with his wolf master, the_hdk (again)
Lover Suirantes slept with OrangeYoshi the SA villager (again)
Distiller pevergreen shared rum with noone (again)
Distiller Bagricula shared rum with Yakman the werewolf
Sorcerer scanned jacob the GA (hehe, jacob's puzzle paid off as a wasted sorcerer scan)
Swedenborg wanted to eat tamius23 the lynched but had to fall back to their backup, reis91 the SW villager

I wonder why the goodie distiller shares his rum while the baddie one doesn't. It would make more sense to me if it were the other way around.

Lord_D said:
Trinitrotoluen said:
Lord_D said:
Now I reiterate my question, did anyone in here have the choice for "Touch of Evil"?
Just checked. Yes, I did have the option (for 5 points) so you'd have to be a Sorc or cultist to take it.
What do you mean 5 points? I only got 6 points and wolf cost 4 (sorc 3 and cult 1). I think we all might've gotten different pm's (that explains the time johho put into sending those pms...). Apparently I can't quote GM-pm's according to the rules, so I won't. Anyhow, seeing as we probably all had different pm's I'll conclude that randakar probably chose sorcerer because he could choose traits that were handy for a sorc. Like a "touch of evil". He probably has it.
Muahahaha, it is good to be the GM.

It would've been more hilarious if I slept with a werewolf, and got hunted. Hilarity would ensue.

Atleast you weren't killed as brutally as me, hell EVEN I MYSELF WANTED ME DEAD!

What? Not only was I lynched on the first day after a month off Werewolf, you tried to hunt me too? :(

Only shows that the wolfs was tired of the mindless pursuit of Reis' death...... ;)

The GM AAR part 6 - Getting settled

randakar said:
Scan Najs
Why is he going after me like that?
Because your proud trait. Ooops, didn't think about how that would look for someone who didn't know about the RPing trait.

Day 2 and Night 2
Village lynched Yakman the werewolf :)
Seer scanned Bagricula the SA villager (Hm, no note whether Bagricula saw him. Did the GM make an oopsie here?)
GA Paen protected EURO the werewolf
GA jacob protected pevergreen the cultist
Doc protected Falc the apprentice
Lover Kiwi slept with his wolf master, the_hdk (yet again)
Lover Suirantes slept with OrangeYoshi the SA villager (yet again)
Distiller pevergreen kept his rum to himself (yet again)
Distiller Bagricula shared rum with walrus the villager
Sorcerer scanned Najs the SA villager (Najs saw that "a sorcerer" scanned him)
Rousseau ate Boris ze Doc with Cloak of Invisibility :)

Interesting lynch vote with a wolf from each side and a villager in the race. Should be useful for the villagers to analyze.

Day 3 and Night 3
Village lynched Slinky the cursed 2nd in command villager
Seer scanned sbr the villager
GA Paen protected enkhuush the seer's apprentice
GA jacob protected enkhuush the seer's apprentice
Lover Kiwi slept with his wolf master, the_hdk (is anyone surprised?)
Lover Suirantes slept with OrangeYoshi the SA villager (is anyone surprised?)
Distiller pevergreen kept his rum to himself (is anyone surprised?)
Distiller Bagricula kept his rum to himself
Sorcerer scanned snoopdogg the SA villager (snoopdogg saw that "a sorcerer" scanned him)
Swedenborg tried to eat enkhuush the seer's apprentice

The village managed to expose the seer's apprentice because of a strange motivation to why he lynched a werewolf. You'd expect them to go for someone that wanted to save the werewolf but noooo. Not sure I think this village deserves to win.
The GAs did their job. enkhuush is dead meat tomorrow when noone can protect him though.

Regarding parity and the end of the game:

My understanding has always been that once the baddies can control the voting they win. The good guys' only power is the vote and once they lose that the game is over; it isn't about guessing what a hunter or protector might do. I guess that would practically mean parity +1, but you all know what I mean.

Also I would only check for parity at the end of the day (after the lynch) and at the start of the day (after the wolf hunt). I wouldn't check after each individual event during the night.

Other players/Gms milage may vary.

I don't get the fascination to sleep with one's wolfmaster either. Perhaps just because it makes for more beastly action? ;-)

It protects them from witnesses and hunters.
It protects that particular wolf from being witnessed (but one of his packmates will be witnessed so doesn't really help the pack as a whole). Same with wolf attacking a hunter.

If a hunter shoots the wolf he will get both wolf and cultist lover (pretty much what happened when sbr got two dead on one bullet). If he tries to shoot the lover he will miss but he would miss regardless of where the lover was if he was out.

And you miss out on the role-block part of the lover.

It protects that particular wolf from being witnessed (but one of his packmates will be witnessed so doesn't really help the pack as a whole). Same with wolf attacking a hunter.

If a hunter shoots the wolf he will get both wolf and cultist lover (pretty much what happened when sbr got two dead on one bullet). If he tries to shoot the lover he will miss but he would miss regardless of where the lover was if he was out.

And you miss out on the role-block part of the lover.

Well it protects against the hunter's protection, that's what I meant. But yes, it's questionable if it's worth it.

As for another wolf taking the hit instead; I've personally always felt more loyal to the assigned wolf master. And if you are being kept out of touch with the rest you really want to keep your contact alive...

This is the second game I hosted where the cultist lover decided to sleep with his master. Why are they doing that!? They block their own master and they risk a double loss if the master is hunted by the other pack. I just don't get it. Are they seeing something in the rules I don't?

Because the_hdk and my schedules completely clash, and because I was asleep 8 hours before deadline. I knew my pack hunted on odd nights, and I requested that I get told who the hunt target was so I could try and block someone else. But because hdk and I were never on at the same time, I only ever got to read the PM of who was to be hunted after it had already happened. It would be embarrasing to be hunted by my own pack, and hdk seemed a low likelihood hunt target for the other pack.

Of course, the one time I did take a gamble sbr shot me...