• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey great AAR!

I've been reading this, along with a few others, to assist me in my first Victoria 2 game. I only picked it up two days ago and having never played Victoria it seemed some what daunting.

I've chosen Argentina in my first game and thing's have gone fairly similar, aside from me not becoming a democracy nor did I conqueror Uruguay to begin with (although they have recently been added).

One problem I am facing is that France now has Brazil in it's sphere and the two are allied. I was about to have a dig at Brazil just prior to this happening, but opted to wait while I finished off Chile before doing so, my question is should I go a head and fight Brazil regardless, how likely are France to come to their aid and in what form can I expect it (doom stack's landing at Buenos Aires)?

I couldn't really say how likely AI France is to get involved, the workings of the AI remain a mystery to me. The problem you'd have fighting France is the huge numbers they have available from vastly outnumbering you population-wise. Exactly how much a problem they would be depends on their other commitments, and whether they have taken any loses elsewhere, especially naval loses.

Hey great AAR!
One problem I am facing is that France now has Brazil in it's sphere and the two are allied. I was about to have a dig at Brazil just prior to this happening, but opted to wait while I finished off Chile before doing so, my question is should I go a head and fight Brazil regardless, how likely are France to come to their aid and in what form can I expect it (doom stack's landing at Buenos Aires)?

sounds like you need to look at the risk/reward ratio. If France does answer the call, you are basically doomed. How likely are they to answer it? Hard to say, but GPs are usually happy to intervene in struggles they think can easily win, it's a nice way to get prestige and maybe even a province of yours. So my advice would be to pick a different target - it's a long game, you'll have plenty of opportunities.

Cheers for the tips guys, I went after Chile and Peru, when all of a sudden Brazil hit me (no france), I managed to beat them and take a core province and the province just north of Uruguay, for a total of 10 infamy :).

Great update with so much cool stuff - you're a democracy now, you're a great power, the map is slowly being painted a lovely blue... Now that you've clawed your way to the top tooth and nail, I know you've got the guts to stay there. Cunning use of stored RP! I need to remember that one!

I cant wait to read on, hope you will be able to update soon :)

This indeed cries for an update! ;)

Polar, please stop dropping heavy weights on your head and update this flipping AAR. *nods*

Chapter 7: To Panama!

Nothing major in this update I'm afraid, its been a quiet couple of years for Argentina.

Now that I am a great power, I am free to start throwing my weight around in the rest of South America.

SouthAmerica1871.jpg

My first priority is to kick the USA out of Colombia, I don't want them getting ideas about building the Panama canal. Colombia would also be useful in any conflict I might get into with Brazil as a distraction on Brazil's northern border. I also want to take Venezuela out of the British sphere but that is just for the sake of it really, so a lower priority. I'll also be wanting to keep Brazil out of the sphere of others.

Since the start of the game I have focused heavily on improving the literacy of my people, with my national focus almost constantly being on promoting clergy somewhere. By the 1870s my people have reached 30% literacy and they use their new-found literacy to read old German newspapers.

AgeofLiberalism.jpg

Confusingly the Liberal Revolution doesn't do anything and a couple of years later it goes away without leaving a mark on Argentina. On the education front, with the completion of the social science technology, I get to implement Argentina's only decision which gives somewhere in the region of 1,500 research points (about 2 months worth of research. Not much, but better than nothing.

Law1420.jpg

I manage to take Colombia from the USA sphere without much trouble, and turn my attention to Venezuela and Brazil. Since I already have machine tools, nitroglycerin and prophylaxis against malaria, I quickly research iron steamers, and so Argentina opens the Panama canal. Ironic that Argentina has no navy whatsoever.

Panama.jpg

The rest of the decade is all rather hands off from me. When not researching towards Iron Steamers I directed research towards industrial techs, filling in the gaps such as the second and third level railway techs.

Here is Argentina at the end of the decade in 1880.

argentina1880.jpg

The sharp eyed amongst you will have noticed the disappearance of Bolivia from the map. I returned Bolivia to Argentine ownership in 1879, again in a war that was little more than occupy and annex. Let's also take a look at Argentina's population, mostly because I like charts and figures.

argentinians1880.jpg

My population now stands at two and a half million, almost ten times the starting figure. A fair number of these people have been added by conquest, but as the large British, French and Hindu populations show, there has also been a lot of immigration. Still not many craftsmen, hopefully as my RGOs fill up this will change.

I believe it will. You've created opportunities, brought modernization to the fields, and have a large population. That population will be tempted as the fields grow fallow to move into the cities and become skilled craftsman - or cogs in an assembly line. Either way? Argentina shall grow! Even more than it's already impressive growth (a staggering amount)!

Aren't those phases of peaceful development... peaceful? Thanks for the update. What's your military like these days?

The contest is over and i am happy to present you your Rank:

8501571contest-placement-07.jpg

Polar Mongoose - ¡Viva ArgentinAAR!

Your AAR ranked number 7, congratulations!
The last one to join the contest, with his first AAR and still in the Top 10.
You must have made something right ;)

Following Argentinias way through your AAR was very inspiring,
so much that i actually played a Argentinia game!
See what you did there :)

I really liked your AAR, i somehow have something for Argentinia,
not sure why, but for me it was somehow special.
You where mostly focused on the gameplay, thats a solid ground to base a AAR on,
and I personally enjoy those normally most (with exceptions).

The fact that you didnt had a 99 points score wasnt
in the way for you to get a great place in this contest!
This shows that your AAR pleased most of the judges.
The most time you where going up and down between rank 10 and 6.

It was great to read your AAR, please dont stop writing, with practise you will only get even better! :)

I thank you for competing, congratulate you to your Top 10 Score, and i wish you all the best!

Polar Mongoose, if this isn't your first AAR then I missed at least one excellent AAR. If it is your first, it's a very good first! I think I may have a soft spot somewhere for Argentina, always outshone by the bigger giant Brazil next door. I would like to let you know that I awarded you 60 points and that you reach the 5th spot on my personal list as judge.

Just found this AAR -- sorry to see you haven't updated it in a while, but I do appreciate the tips for playing Argentina, particularly democratizing.

Yeah, I am subscribed and all, and would love to see some update!

Sorry to have left this hanging. As you can see its been silent for quite some time, the reason being the death of my previous laptop, which had the only copy of the saves for this AAR. If the data is recoverable at all then it is way beyond my competence level, so I guess I should draw this AAR to a close.

So thanks all for reading, and a very belated thank you to Qorten for the feedback, it means a lot, especially coming from yourself.