• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Only 2 more days till the contest ends!

You still need 2 more chapters, i really hope to see your updates soon. :)

Chapter 4: Paraguay

We begin this update on 1st July 1846, as Argentina completes research on Medicine. The inventions connected to Medicine will improve my Pop growth rates and improve the ability of my armies to fight in low supply areas. Between the Andes, the Atacama desert and the Amazon rainforest, I have a lot of potential attrition so Medicine will improve my fighting ability significantly.

A decade has passed since my 'liberation' of Uruguay, and my BB has dropped to 8.33, meaning it is time to consider further expansion. My prime target is the remaining Platinean pops outside of my control, living in the nation of Paraguay. Paraguay is a two state nation, which would cost 30 BB to annex, consisting of Bajo Paraguay and the one province state of Paraguayan Mato Grosso.

AsuncionIguatemi.jpg

Iguatemi, the sole Paraguayan province in Mato Grosso, has only 4,000 people, none of them Platineans. Since it is a Brazilian core I decide to force Paraguay to cede Mato Grosso to Brazil at a cost of 3 BB, rather than annexing a single province for 10 BB. The lower BB will mean I can Annex the remaining state earlier and get my hands on the true prize, the roughly 70,000 Platineans living in Asuncion.

1stParaguayanwar.jpg

Neither Chile nor Peru honour their alliances with Paraguay leaving 6,000 Paraguayan infantry to face 18,000 Argentines. The result of such a battle is more or less inevitable, and five months later the Paraguayan borders have been redrawn leaving Paraguay a one state nation.

interwar.jpg

Almost exactly five years later, as soon as my BB drops below 5, war is declared again, this time with a conquest Casus Belli. Paraguay has not rebuilt their armies since their anhilation five years previously so the war is a simply matter of occupying the country followed by annexation. All rather anti-climactic really.

2ndparaguayanwar.jpg

After Medicine I research Early Classical Theory which allows me to build lumber factories. In previous games I have found lumber shortages to be quite frequent, and since I have timber, I may as well make my own lumber factories to ensure supply. Early Classical Theory is followed research on the Social Thought chain of techs from Malthusian Thought through to Biologism, taking almost a decade to research. Once the Darwinism invention fires my literacy gain will by modified by +90% and I can begin to make up for my poor starting literacy.

STtech.jpg

Since I am now 20 years into the game (plus a couple of months), lets have a look at the status of the rest of the world. Following my defeat of Bolivia both Brazil and Chile have taken chunks out of Bolivia. At some point I will want to take the states of La Paz and Potosi off Brazil and Chile respectively.

SA56.jpg

As per usual the USA has failed to take control of the Pacific Northwest, with states going to the UK and Russia. The USA has fired manifest destiny and has cores on Mexican territory, but thus far has taken no action to claim them.

NA56.jpg

Not much has happened in Europe except that Austria has taken Danish Schleswig-Holstein, stopping Prussia from forming the North German Federation.

Europe56.jpg

In Asia the British have taken a couple of states off China, as if they didn't have enough manpower available already. I was never going to be take on their army anyway though, so it doesn't really matter.

Asia56.jpg

Great to see your Chapter 4!

Only one more to get set for the contest.
I hope you will be able to bring it till monday :)

I liked your anti-climatic conquest of paraquay.
You should really try to get your hands on the potosi province, it has alot of pepole living there (and iron).
And a port on the pacific could be usefull too :)

What have you done to get that many research points?
Did you use your focus on cleregy all the time?

Thanks!

A port on the Pacific would be pretty good, I could hopefully get my hands on some Pacific islands then.

My clergy percentage is pretty high, something like 1.9%. I've had my national focus on clergy most of the time, since the conquest of Paraguay I've been focused on clergy there. Being the most populous state it has a pretty big impact. Enlightenment, Idealism and my plurality raise my base by slightly over 150% which helps.

Ah thanks for the expalantion :)

Another reason to get potosi is that it gives you a border with peru. - Which could give you an incident/makes it easier to influence them.

Nice to see an update Polar!!

G
A third thing, please don't attack Paraguay or else in my game as Paraguay I'll destroy Argentina

Chapter 4: Paraguay
My prime target is the remaining Platinean pops outside of my control, living in the nation of Paraguay. Paraguay is a two state nation, which would cost 30 BB to annex, consisting of Bajo Paraguay and the one province state of Paraguayan Mato Grosso.

Pwnt.

Chapter 5: Railways, machines and the Pacific

The last chapter ended with Argentina discovering Biologism in 1856, making Argentina culturally one of the most advanced nations in the world. Of course this comes at a price, and Argentine industry is all rather basic.

56tech.jpg

To begin rectifying this, Experimental Railroads are researched. Happily all my efforts to boost my research rate are having a strong effect, and it takes only ten months to complete research. Experimental Railroads are followed by Mechanical Production for all the RGO boosting inventions linked to it. I'm not quite sure how Mechanical Production escaped my notice up until now, usually it would be my third research at the very latest. Many of my aristocrats are unable to meet their luxury needs even with taxes as low as possible, and this is keeping their conciousness and therefore also their liberalism down, so I am hoping increased output will lead to a better off more liberal upper class. My Capitalists are also struggling it seems, as I discover when I check up on their progress towards railroading Argentina. Below is their progress roughly two and a half months after the discovery of railroads.

capirw.jpg

Their progress towards the first province that is. At that rate they'll never finish even if I research no other railroad techs, so I give them a helping hand.

staterw.jpg

I start with the most populous states, extending to cover the whole of Argentina over time as funds allow. After Mechanical Production, I save research points waiting for Empiricism to become available in 1860, the head start letting me finish by late 1860. I've not so much as looked at the Army technology screen thus far, so I research muzzle loaded rifles, hoping to keep my forces at least somewhat relevant. Once the rifle research is completed, I decide upon a little field test.

chilewar.jpg

Brazil chickens out, which will make this war somewhat one-sided, though I guess I shouldn't complain. In the south I send one army to occupy the gold mines of La Serena while two others guard the border to stop Chileans from crossing into Argentina. In the north I divide my cavalry and send them to occupy the state of Potosi, my target in this war.

Potosioccupation.jpg

By the end of the year I occupy the northern third of Chile who are now willing to concede to my demands for Potosi. All this has happened without a shot being fired, the Chileans being unwilling to engage my armies.

occupation.jpg

A bloodless war would be boring however, and I wouldn't get to test out my armies. Unfortunately I accidentally overwrote the screenshots of the battle results, so you don't get to see them :(
My first battle against Chile did not go as well as I would have liked, with my armies suffering heavier loses than the Chileans before winning due to superior numbers. I'm don't know whether this was due to back luck or bad tech, but I shall increase my tech in the future anyway just in case. After the first battle my armies hunted down and destroyed the Chileans in a series of battles, and with the Chileans destroyed peace is declared.

Potosi.jpg

The state of Potosi includes my first major iron mine, my only other previous iron mine having a mere one thousand or so miners. To take advantage of this I quickly research Mechanised Mining and order a steel mill in Potosi. Aside from this development not much happens over the next few years, until 1865.

What I haven't documented in this AAR is the slow rise of liberalism in my Upper House, mainly due to the glacial pace at which it has proceeded. Each year there has been an 0.5-1% increase in the number of liberals in the Upper House and by the 1860s they have reached the high forties percentage-wise, at which point they seem to have stopped growing. In the summer of 1865 the Farmers Bank event fires for me (didn't stop to take a screen I'm afraid) in the state of Bajo Paraguay. I choose the option that nationalises the bank and confiscates all assets from the farmers raising militancy by +8 and, because Bajo Paraguay has a quarter of my population, this raises my global militancy to just over 2. This drives 20% of my conservatives in the Upper House to supporting political reform and I can force through my first reform.

politics-1.jpg

The two reforms I need to become a democracy are Landed Voting and Harassment of political parties (as opposed to outright banned). Since a number of my Aristocrats support Landed voting (I wonder why?), I force through Harassment in the hopes that Landed voting will be easier to pass in the future. Just one more reform needed and Argentina will be a Democracy!

Last edited:
Good luck, i will be following!!!

And i've never actually made a Democracy in V2, i prefer to be in control of EVERYTHING when i play :p Must be the OCC side of me :D

*Subcribed*

Thank you for your Chapter 5!

You are set with this for the contest, but i really would like to read on and see many more updates!
It was a good & interresting update, congratulations for winning your war against chile and claiming potosi.
Dont forget to build a naval base on the pacific too. :)

Interesting AAR so far PM! I will keep following to see where you can bring Argentina on the world stage.

Chapter 6: Los Rios and Liberty

With the completion of Interchangeable Parts, I spend the end of the 1860s saving research points for when Empiricism becomes available in 1870. Not much happens over the next few years until...

chileborder.jpg

None of Chile's remaining land is a former part of the Viceroyalty, so a further war with Chile wasn't part of my plan. A BB free state is too tempting though, especially since Chile stands alone with a mere 6,000 soldiers to guard her, so I move my forces into position for a second war with Chile. As the Argentine army marches to the Chilean border an incident occurs during local elections which proves fundamental to democracy in Argentina.

angryfarmer.jpg

I choose the 'bread and water for three months' option, and since farmers make up 70% of the Argentine population militancy rises by enough that I can force through a second reform. The 'disappear' option causes all pops to gain two militancy, which would also meet my needs, but it seems a little extreme to me when the first option meets my needs just fine.

politicsagain-1.jpg

My Presidential Dictatorship is now allowing political parties (even if it does harass them) and letting the people choose between them (rich people only of course) which makes it in reality a democracy, or a republic at least. After a month the game catches up to this, and Argentina is officially a Democracy!

democracy.jpg

One of the best things about becoming a democracy is that Argentina suddenly becomes far more attractive to the immigrants who I very much need to man the farms, mines and factories of Argentina. Prior to becoming a democracy my monthly immigration figures were double figures at best, but now...

democracyimmigrants-1.jpg

Admittedly the figures don't match up and I have no idea which, if either, figure is correct but regardless, under democracy I am getting far more immigrants. Once the new government is in place I turn my attention back towards Chile, declaring war for the state of Los Rios. The Chilean army is destroyed in a single battle, and within a year the Chileans have surrendered and Los Rios and its iron mines join Argentina.

2ndchileanwar.jpg

As 1870 comes around I use stored RP to instantly research Empiricism, giving a further boost to my research output. A side effect of being first to complete Empiricism is that I get ample opportunity to be first to get the connected inventions and the prestige that goes with them. I gain enough prestige that the following year Argentina makes it into the top 8! Staying there will be quite a challenge however.

GP.jpg

Impressive and very dynamic update. It does show how much a single event can affect your entire game, lucky thing it fired when it did. Congrats on bringing Argentina to the world stage, yet a GP status based on prestige mostly is a vulnerable at best.
But then again, you should have enough manpower now to invest in industry and afford a bigger military. Things are looking good!

I had to re-upload the pictures, hopefully they are all working properly now.

My priority targets at the moment are Bolivia and La Paz (the formerly Bolivian part of Brazil in between Bolivia and Peru), as part of my efforts to reunite this http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9b/Virreinato.png

My GP status is indeed a little shaky, I'm hoping immigrants will boost my population and therefore industry and military scores. And the game does tend to give Great Powers events which further boost their prestige, so perhaps I can cement my position that way too.

A great Chapter 6!

Thank you for that and congratulations for becoming a democracy! :)

The Contest has reached its end now, and is closed for further chapters!

Anything posted after this posting will not be taken in account from any judge.
You are also free to continue your AAR in any style and form that you prefer,
and arnt bound by any contest rules any more.

Thank you very much for your participation!

The final Overview Posting is here!

The judging is in progress, watch the contest thread
for the announcment of the scores as soon as i get them. :)