• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
12100 PAP dead to your 3600 VEN dead due to the leader Taddeo.

You should be pleased, plus with a + for sige bonus he has,........hmmm...very tempting

Just like the Pope - always starts the wars and sits back in Roma waiting for the others to do his dirty work. ;)

Nicely done. At least you can to and from Romagna with little issue. Of course, it means Mantua is directly in your sights now. They had better tremble, BB or no. :D

I rather suspect, just as in history, your ambitions regarding your neighbours the rest of Europe is going to view you as most unneighbourly :)

Duke of Wellington: I’m very impressed with how the leader affects battles. I was worried because my sliders are mixed at best in helping my land forces but they aren’t doing to bad at all.

Billy bob: A slight pause is in order at least until my peace agreement is in force with Mantua.;)

Cow Pie: I haven’t been pushing the diplomatic aspect of the game other than sending gifts to improve my relations but I should start pursuing other diplomatic adventures. Royal marriages if nothing else.:)

Blsteen: :cool::D

Epoe Nimistedt: In EU II I remember stumbling a few times with Venice. Austria seemed to have a vendetta with Venice and would eventually attack. I’m waiting to see if that’s going to happen in FTG.

Toio: Indeed his siege bonus was valuable. Unfortunately he died and I’m back to drudge for leaders.:(

Coz1: Never turn your back on the Pope. He may be a holy man but he still wields a mean scepter. :D

Stnylan: All in a good cause.;)

Aldriq: It is my fervent hope to enlighten the Mantuans (what do you call someone from Mantua?) on the errors on their ways as soon as possible.

Joe

Just checking around to see how my revolt risk is and found as a example that in July 1443 Crete’s revolt risk was 4%.
revoltresult-1.jpg

By June 1444 it was 0%.

It also appears that if I want to change Crete’s religion it’s going to cost me 279 ducats and that will buy me a 64% success chance. I think I’ll wait on that, thank you very much.

So what’s going on right now. First we have Tyrol who was vassalized by Austria so they dropped out of my alliance and are in an alliance with Austria and Bohemia.

My military alliance with Styria, Witemberg and Bavaria is still intact even though they are still fighting Milan and Provence. I wish them luck but this minor war is going to prove to be a big problem for me in the future. Why you ask? I’m glad you asked. Here’s why.
Aliedstupidity2-1.jpg

I’m looking at Tyrol as a future target (after Mantua of course) because they annexed Tuscany and I ask myself how can I let them have an Italian Province? However since they are allied with Austria and Bohemia that could be a problem. Both countries are small but large enough to pump in tens of thousands of men if it came to a war. I was hoping to use my allies as a counter weight, at least long enough for me to take that delicious province off Tyrol’s hands. But this is the situation with my allies after the war.
Afterwar-1.jpg

Yes they went from over a hundred thousand or more men to around 25,000 if you count the old men and young boys. Not good, not good at all.

In June we receive a message telling us that the Ottomans have defeated and annexed the Byzantine empire. Oh my.

I’m still looking around and see that Mantua who is first on my list of soon to be history countries is a vassal of Tyrol. I’m going to have to read the manual to remind me on what the ramification are in this situation if I declare war on them. They aren’t in an alliance with Tyrol but can I annex them?

I receive an event.
Byzantinerefugees2-1.jpg

It took me a couple of tries to put down the revolt.

In November 1445 COT appears in Thrace.

The Ottomans are at war with Hungary and Austria and I’m keeping an eye on the Ottomans.
MuradII1445-1.jpg

They look like they are having the better of the fighting. I think I’ll stay on the side lines at this time.

A few months later this pops up.
Ottomanwar2-1.jpg

Since Hungary and Austria were already at war with the Ottomans I don’t’ know which ally caused this increase in the size of the war and I don’t care. I’m hoping this might mean an opportunity has come knocking at my door.

By January 1446 I finally reach Naval tech 3 but there is no bonus effect. Now what to do, what to do?

Unleash the Dogs... wait Venice... Sharks of War

The dogsharks. Do it.

Figure out how many men the Austro-Hungarians have under the disposal and the Ottomans. Whoever has less, fight.

I could be wrong but I think you can annex a vassal, just not make them your own vassal if they belong to someone else. I am almost certain that you should have little issue presenting them with a DoW and as long as they are not in a military alliance with the overlord, you can war until your hearts content, though I believe it gives the overlord a CB on you (and if it does not, it probably should.)

Austria is tempting while they are at war with the Turk, but they really don't have any useful territory for you right now...maybe some cash, but is losing $ to fight the war worth winning a little of it back? Even making them a vassal would probably go horribly wrong when the Bohemian and Hungarian evnts start firing...though if they are still your vassal, that could be profitable.

Personally, I say keep the focus on Italy, or perhaps the Balkans. Of course, the latter brings you one step closer to the Ottomans, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. ;)

I think the question is pick a fight with the Turks now, or later when they are likely going to be stronger.

Ottomans will probably keep growing, thanks to the historical facts this EU game seems to follow (not always completely, but still) and thanks to their natural strength. Thus, if you really want to fight one of them, I'd pick the Ottoman Empire. You'll have to face them sooner or later, they will eventually come for Crete and other Greek territories, so...

Cow Pie, billy bob, TheExecuter: You will all have your wishes come true. Just not in the way you think.:D

Coz1: Yes you can annex a vassal of another country.(as I found out) My original plan was to make war against Tyrol allied with Austria, Hungary and I think Bohemia. While they were distracted with the Ottomans but that plan was complicated by a yet to be reveled situation.:(

Duke of Wellington. Southern Italy (Naples) is a vassal of Aragon and I may be tempted to take Aragon on in a war. Might be interesting to see if their navy can match mine. But for now I have more pressing matters with Mantua.

Stnylan: The bigger they are the harder they fall.:p

Aldriq: Hungary is proving to be very resistant to any thing that approaches friendship. :mad:

Qorten: I’m trying to set the stage for an Ottoman attack but my neighbors won’t leave me alone long enough for me to take on the Ottomans.

My truce is up with Mantua and I don’t see any reason not to wait so I DOW Mantua and all my allies join me in the war. Provence joins Mantua. I have yet to see a single soldier from Provence in any war.

attack21446-1.jpg

This is going to be so easy. It will be worth the 3 stability hits I took. I’m down to 0 stability. I easily win the battle and start the siege.

A mixed blessing event.
maritimeevent14462-1.jpg

My allies aren’t doing very much (as in not a thing) so far except for Styria who looks like they are sending men to help in the siege. However as you can see they end up marching to Romagna. I’ve not a clue why.
Styriamarch-1-1.jpg

Maybe they don’t trust the Pope to sit this one out?

So a strange thing happened on my way to victory. I captured Mantua and didn’t give a thought to saving the game. I mean what are the chances of the game imploding for a second time at a most inopportune time? Yea you guessed it. I captured mantua at the end of May and had a CTD in June. I loaded up the auto save and once again I captured mantua in May and this time I saved on June 1 1447. Good thing I did because the game once again gave me a big fat CTD a few days later. It wasn’t looking to good for being able to continue the game since it happened again when I tried to play it from the June 1 1447 save but I soldiered on and tried again but this time I vaguely remembered reading something about merging armies and a CTD problem so this time I didn’t merge the armies in Mantua and I didn’t have a CTD.

Great, I’ve started the game again and this pops up.
Trial14472-1.jpg

I went with Declare the son of the Doge innocent. I didn’t need the money or the -2 administrations hit.

I’m still at war with Provence when Lorraine decides to join the war against us. Still haven’t seen any army from Provence show up for a fight. I try to offer Provence a status quo peace but they refuse. The first of many refusals.

I decide to check my Bad Boy and find it to be 22.6/37, Ouch!!! Time to keep my head down.

Another event happens.
Lombardwar31447-1.jpg

I went with accept the Duke. I really don’t want any hassles with Milan right now. Maybe in the future but right now lets all be friends, right?

Everything is fine and I’m minding my own business when in September 1447 Wallachia decides that they have a problem with me and declare war. They don’t even have an ally and they declare war? Styria, Wirtemberg and Bavaria join me in the war. Wallachia owns Bosnia but I really don’t want to add another province at this time but maybe Styria will want it? I decide to sit back at least for the moment and see what happens.
Wallachiaprovence-1.jpg

I’m not too surprised when Wallachia marches over and besieges Ragusa. I head over with the intention of pushing them back to Bosnia.

It’s January 1448 and I’m still marching toward Ragusa when I notice this.
Tlemcen1448-1.jpg

It looks like Tyrol has a real fight on it’s hands. Can the AI land enough men to have a chance at winning?

I attack in Ragusa and I only out number Wallachia by a few thousand and sure enough I lose the battle. I lost all of my infantry so I’m going to have to recruit their replacements before renewing the attack. Meanwhile I watch Styria slip in behind Wallachia and besiege Bosnia.
StyriasiegeBosnia-1.jpg

Way to go guys!

By May 1448 I’m able to launch another attack into Ragusa.
Ragusacounterattack-1.jpg

No contest.

Things are looking pretty good when Crete revolts. This was really unfortunate because it took me three attacks to destroy the rebels and that was a lot of time and manpower that I couldn’t afford to lose as you will see.

Seems the Pope has come calling again while my army is screwing around with Crete.
November1448war-1-1.jpg

Okay so this isn’t too bad but six days later this happens.
Sixdayslater-1.jpg

Hmm a two front war once again. Well at least Milan is alone so how hard can this be as my only army is busy in Crete getting their butts kicked by rebels.

I try for a Status Quo peace with Wallachia but they decline and a month later Hungary decides to join in the fun.
December1448-1.jpg

This is not good at all. At least my allies have stuck with me and I admit to be a bit surprised by that. I think this might be a very difficult war.

Well, as a reader "a difficult war" sounds like the next couple of posts could be very interesting :)

Bet you wished you had taken the alternate choice in the Milan event now, don't you? ;) At least you'd have a claim on Lombardia.

Still, looks like the BB caught up to you. Bit early for a full out BB war, but stnylan is right...it will at least prove entertaining with you at the helm. :D