• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Press gang, Patron of arts, shrewd commerce practice, military drill, battle field commissions and Church attendancy duty are great NI. As initial one, I mostly pick drill, shrewd or patron of arts.

Shrewd commerce is good if you are trade lackey, NTP is better for those that want to gain realy big trade income. But as trade lackey, i think it is better to take military decision, or cultural(for advisors).

I cant stress enough how strong CAD is, even if you only take it as the first idea and swap it out immediately. Guilded Iconography is one of the best decisions in the game, it gives you enough CT to keep you at ~70 at all times. It also enables you to later on get Iconoclasm after you got some Fine Arts accedemies up (preferrably through patron of the arts) and get a very nice boost to both your treasury and your tax income.

I cant stress enough how strong CAD is, even if you only take it as the first idea and swap it out immediately. Guilded Iconography is one of the best decisions in the game, it gives you enough CT to keep you at ~70 at all times. It also enables you to later on get Iconoclasm after you got some Fine Arts accedemies up (preferrably through patron of the arts) and get a very nice boost to both your treasury and your tax income.

I agree. Iconoclasm is very good idea.

National Bank is probably one of the best if you play a mod (like D&T) that doesn't let you exploit cultural tradition to get super advisors all the time.
Compete chance NI is very good for early game trading especially if you are far from big trade hubs.
Cabinet for its -1 infamy reduction is essential for anyone that does late-game conquering.
Then there are the obvious ones like QFTNW.

If you find this is an issue in D&T then take church attendance duty which opens up gilded iconography.

The best thing about national ideas is that you can choose which one suits you :)

The more people disagree about what is 'the best' the better the design was.

Spot on. There is usually a 'best' first national idea, but after that it really is just what suits your nation.

On the contrary, I think it's very appropriate that you can't spam paintings to get better advisors.

I know, that wasn't my point, my point was the only real way to get cultural tradition is through CaD>GI or PotA.

So in D&T you can't spend magistrates on anything atb? Splendind.

Well you can, it just costs a bit of prestige and money. Also, how about buildings?

I used to use National Bank all the time but I've started using it less. It slows your tech, has a terrible event attached to it, and I feel like it acts like a crutch.

My favorite early national idea is easily Press Gangs. -50% ship cost to build. You can build double the amount of ships as someone for the same price! After all, you need to defend with your navy against everyone who is not your neighbor.

I like Patron of the Arts (strong advisers are amazing), military drill, and if you have a lot of colonies, viceroys. Press gangs, viceroys, and land of opportunity all go hand in hand together.

Year: 1577
Religion: Protestant

----------
I adoptet Church Attendance Day :) But I can't find anywhere this Guided Iconography...

My first Idea is National Bank.

It gives you the ability to mint at 0% increase of inflation, and no need to pay adviser sallary. One may think minting slows down your tech, bui it is the opposite since you can get much more buildings early on, when money are the limiting factor for most nations, not magistrates.

It can become needless after ~100-200years, but it gives a huge boost to early game for middle sized countries.

CAD, everyone explained why. Stab cost is always an issue for large nations, glider iconography and iconoclasm are also good.

Burocracy, NTP, are good for countries the size of France, when you do not feel any real need to make you strong military even stronger.

Patron of arts is good.

military and colonisation NIs are only usefull for either really small nations, or in Multiplayer.

People panic too much about a little inflation and bank is vastly overrated. having your armies not killed (military drill) or getting merchants in all CoT is much more important. Bureaucracy seems quite useless to me as most of your income will be production or trade anyway.