Tomes of Magic - Info Compilation

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ERICdb

Ancient Threat
69 Badges
May 23, 2015
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Magicka 2
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Surviving Mars
  • Prison Architect
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
General Info

Number and Tiers of Tomes
There are 54 tomes total⁽¹⁾, which go from Tier 1 up to Tier 5⁽²⁾, with higher tier tomes unlocking more powerful units, spells and buildings. Tiers I-IV have 2 tomes per affinity and Tier V has one tome per affinity.

Sources: 1.Gameplay Reveal, 2.Dev Diary #2

Tome Affinities
Tomes can have multiple affinities, which are Order, Chaos, Nature, Shadow, Materium or Astral, but there are only single affinity Tomes in the game for now. Mixed tomes will come soon:tm: according to QA Jordi, which could be interpreted as coming in the first or maybe second DLC.
1682772124236.png

Tome Picks and Progression
Before starting a game you pick your very first Tier I Tome⁽¹⁾, and during the course of the game you will unlock progressively stronger tomes⁽²⁾. To unlock a higher Tome tier, you first need 2 tomes from the previous tier and you can only ever pick one tier 5 Tome. Tomes of a specific affinity are sometimes grouped into thematic lines. Once you research half the items of a tome, you get to pick a new one. Tier IV tomes have a requirement of 6 empire affinity of their affinity to be picked, while Tier V tomes require at least 8 of such affinity. Aside from the Tomes, Culture and Society Traits, you can reach these requirements with the affinity of your heroes and Seeds/Roots/Hearts. Only one Tier V tome can ever be picked.

There is no set order to unlock the tomes aside from their restrictions, although the game suggests tomes of the highest possible tier. Moreover, there's no limit to the total Tomes you can have, but the minimum number of tomes to reach Magical Victory is 9 (2 T1, 2 T2, 2 T3, 2 T4 and 1 T5).

If you don't like the research items you are given during a new research, you can shuffle all those that haven't been locked by spending mana, albeit the cost increases as you progress through tome tiers. The unlock positions will show research items that haven't been shown yet, and if all have been shown, it will loop back through the list. When selecting a new research item, you're shown 3 new skills that you have never been shown before. Once you've seen all possible skills, it loops back through them

Tome Contents
Tomes contain Units, Buildings, and Spells (Enchantments, Summons, Damage Spells, World Spells...) in the form of research pieces called Skills⁽¹⁾⁽²⁾, which are added to your research pool and can then be picked as new research. They also give an initial bonus of their associated Affinity, one or two Buildings/Units, and make a Trait/Ability available for your Heroes, marked by the winged helmet icon⁽³⁾. The initial bonus also provides an increase in points for both Strategic Spells and for Combat Spells. So far we've seen an increase is +5 magic for Tier I, +10 for Tier III and IV,⁽²⁾ and +15 for Tier V tomes.

Tomes of tier 3, 4 and 5 are necessary for the magic victory (see below).

Sources: 1.Gameplay Reveal, 2.Tome captures (See Tomes List).

Magic Victory
Tomes of Tier III grant the user the ability to build the province improvement called Seeds of that affinity, which grant powerful bonuses to the spells of that affinity. The same is true for Tier IV and Tier V tomes, which instead provide Roots and Heart province improvements, both with increasingly powerful effects. Once all the three buildings of the same affinity have been constructed (they need to be placed in different cities) then a 15 turn countdown will start in which the player will have to defend these improvements against enemy stacks.

Types of Research Icons
Four different types of icons for research items have been seen so far⁽¹⁾⁽²⁾, and they have been detailed in the image provided below.
TomeResearchLegend.png
Research that concerns Recruitable Units, City Structures and Enchantments have the icon style A. Summoning Spells have the icon style B (It's unclear if they are strategic or combat or both). Combat Spells such as the debuff Final Ultimatum have the icon style C. Finally, spells cast on the Strategic map, such as Army Heal, share the D style.

Sources: 1.Gameplay Reveal, 2.Dev Diary #2

Tomes List

Tier I Tomes
Order: Tome of Zeal and Tome of Faith.
Tome of Zeal.png

Tome of Zeal - Overview.png
Tome of Faith.png

Tome of Faith - Overview.png

Chaos: Tome of Pyromancy and Tome of the Horde
Tome of Piromancy.png

Tome of Pyromancy - Overview.png
Tome of the Horde.png

Tome of the Horde - Overview.png
Nature: Tome of Beasts and Tome of Roots
Tome of Beasts.png

Tome of Beasts - Overview.png
Tome of Roots.png

Tome of Roots - Overview.png

Shadow: Tome of Souls and Tome of Cryomancy
Tome of Souls.png
Tome of Souls - Overview.png
Tome of Cryomancy.png

Tome of Cryomancy - Overview.png

Materium: Tome of Enchantment and Tome of Rock
Tome of Enchantment.png

Tome of Enchantment - Overview.png
Tome of Rock.png

Tome of Rock - Overview.png

Astral: Tome of Evocation and Tome of Warding
Tome of Evocation.png
Tome of Evocation - Overview.png
Tome of Warding.png
Tome of Warding - Overview.png

Source: Gameplay Reveal, PartyElite's deep dive

Tier II Tomes
Order: Tome of the Beacon and Tome of the Inquisition
Tome of the Inquisition.png
Tome of the Beacon.png
Chaos: Tome of Mayhem and Tome of Revelry
1680860954367.png
Tome of Revelry.png
Nature: Tome of Glades and Tome of Fertility
Tome of Glades.png
Tome of Fertility.png
Shadow: Tome of Necromancy and Tome of the Doomherald
Tome of Necromancy.png
Tome of the Doomherald.png
Materium: Tome of Artificing and Tome of Winds
Tome of Artificing 2.png
Tome of artificing.png
Astral: Tome of Scrying and Tome of Amplification
Tome of Scrying.png
Tome of Amplification.png
Sources: Dev Diary #1, techraptor, Community Choice stream

Tier III Tomes
Order: Tome of Subjugation and Tome of Sanctuary
Tome of Subjugation.png
Tome of Sanctuary.png
Chaos: Tome of Pandemonium and Tome of Devastation
Tome of Pandemonium.png
Tome of Devastation.png
Nature: Tome of Cycles and Tome of Vigor
Tome of Cycles.png
Tome of Vigor.png
Shadow: Tome of the Cold Dark and Tome of the Great Transformation
Tome of the Cold Dark.png
Tome of the Great Transformation.png
Materium: Tome of Terramancy and Tome of Transmutation
Tome of Terramancy.png

Tome of Transmutation.png
Astral: Tome of Teleportation and Tome of Summoning
Tome of Teleportation.png

Tome of Summoning partial.png

Tier IV Tomes
Order: Tome of Exaltation and Tome of Supremacy
Tome of Exaltation.png
Tome of Supremacy.png
Chaos: Tome of the Demon Gate and Tome of Chaos Channeling
Tome of the Demon Gate.png
Tome of Chaos Channeling.png
Nature: Tome of Paradise and Tome of Nature's Wrath
Tome of Paradise.png
Tome of Nature's Wrath.png
Materium: Tome of the Crucible and Tome of the Golden Realm
Tome of the Crucible.png
Tome of the Golden Realm.png
Shadow: Tome of the Oblivion and Tome of the Reaper
Tome of Oblivion.png
Tome of the Reaper.png
Astral: Tome of the Astral Mirror and Tome of Astral Convergence
Tome of the astral mirror.png
Tome of Astral Convergence.png
Sources: Dev Diary #5, Community Choice stream

Tier V Tomes
Order: Tome of the God Emperor
Tome of the God Emperor.png
Chaos: Tome of the Chaos Lord
Tome of the Chaos Lord.png
Nature: Tome of the Goddess of Nature
Tome of the Goddes of Nature.png
Shadow: Tome of the Eternal Lord
Tome of the Eternal Lord.png
Materium: Tome of the Creator
Tome of the Creator.png
Astral: Tome of the Arch Mage
Tome of the Arch Mage.png

Sources: Dev Diary #2, Achievement leak, Community Choice stream

Attachments

• Discord 26-1-23 - Tome limitations.png
    Discord 26-1-23 - Tome limitations.png
    13,1 KB · Views: 0
  • Discord 28-01-23 - Tome affinities.png
    Discord 28-01-23 - Tome affinities.png
    48 KB · Views: 0
  • Tome of Faith.png
    Tome of Faith.png
    338,6 KB · Views: 0
  • Tome of Zeal.png
    Tome of Zeal.png
    337,6 KB · Views: 0
  • Tome of Zeal.png
    Tome of Zeal.png
    337,6 KB · Views: 0
  • 1676568942144.png
    1676568942144.png
    173,8 KB · Views: 0
  • Tome of Glades.png
    Tome of Glades.png
    422,2 KB · Views: 0
  • T4 Shadow tomes.png
    T4 Shadow tomes.png
    71,2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1679744580877.png
    1679744580877.png
    11 MB · Views: 0
  • Tome of Fertility.png
    Tome of Fertility.png
    1,1 MB · Views: 0
  • 1682195679936.png
    1682195679936.png
    34,8 KB · Views: 0
  • Tome of Supremacy.png
    Tome of Supremacy.png
    863,6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 51Like
  • 9Love
Reactions:
Hey, thanks a lot for this nicely done overview and your overall positive vibes around here!

A few semi-random observations regarding initial bonuses:
  1. Tier I Tomes always seem to add 5 strategic and combat casting points, Tier III ones seem to give 10 points each. So maybe 5 each for Tier I and II, 10 for III and IV, and 15 for Tier V?
  2. Most Tomes known so far seem to add a province building as an initial bonus (e.g. Abbey for the Tome of Faith) - at least this is my guess for now.
  3. A notable exception would be the Tome of Souls, which seems to add two other things instead.
  4. I am wondering if/how many other Tomes add another gameplay element like the Tome of Soul's "Soul economy" - I hope that there are more in any case as it sounds very interesting and engaging to add new mechanics during an ongoing map!
  5. The skill listed after the helmet symbol appears to be an ability that gets added to your leader (maybe that is too obvious but I haven't read it anywhere so far)
Either way, looking forward to watch this topic with updates and of course speculation :)

• 5Like
Reactions:
I might be wrong here, but I believe we can tell what things are based on the shapes around the icons in the tomes using the Tome of Cryomancy as a base as we have seen how most of it's things work.

Using this poorly edited screenshot as an example.

1: Strategic spells / Unit enhancements, Buildings and recruitable units.

2: Strategic summoning spells.

3: Tactical combat spells

Screenshot 2023-01-29 145821 cryomancy ex.png

We have seen Frost Blades, Summon Lesser Snow Spirit and Ice Coffin in action, and it seems to fit with the screenshots we have of other tomes.

Or maybe I am just dense and the last one to figure out and post what has been obvious to everyone else :D

• 5Like
Reactions:

If you look closer, Ice Coffin and Blizzard have different shapes to their icons, with the first having two "arms" while the second has three. I believe the first is combat spell while the second is strategic map spell. With that in mind I believe that 1 is simply empire upgrade, unlocking a building, unit or an enchantment for units (which seem to be separated from strategic spells) while 2 is distinctly some sort of unit summon. Interestingly Summon Animated Armor in Book of Enchantment has "empire upgrade" shape around its icon, while Vine Prison from Book of Roots has a summoning shape, but I'm not sure what it means.

Reactions:
Very informative, thanks for sharing!

I used to think that we'd get 3 tiers per tome (i. e. Pyromancy Tier 1, 2, 3) but the fact that it appears to be all unique tomes is very interesting.

• 1Like
Reactions:
If you look closer, Ice Coffin and Blizzard have different shapes to their icons, with the first having two "arms" while the second has three. I believe the first is combat spell while the second is strategic map spell. With that in mind I believe that 1 is simply empire upgrade, unlocking a building, unit or an enchantment for units (which seem to be separated from strategic spells) while 2 is distinctly some sort of unit summon. Interestingly Summon Animated Armor in Book of Enchantment has "empire upgrade" shape around its icon, while Vine Prison from Book of Roots has a summoning shape, but I'm not sure what it means.

You are right, there is a subtle difference I did not notice and I agree that it might indicate targeted strategic spells and the shaped are not entirely consistent. Good catch.
It could be the case that many of those screenshots are from different builds and the iconography is still evolving.

• 1Like
Reactions:
nice overview but in my opinion a bit wrong. the screenshot you showed for "tome tier V" showed a skill "tier VI" (so VI and not V) but the tome it belongs to is Tier 3.

i Think there will be or at max 4 tiers of times, every tier of tome having two tiers of units / skills / spells and so forth, you can see that every tome has much higher tiered skills / spells on many screenshots and the gameplay reveal.

nice overview but in my opinion a bit wrong. the screenshot you showed for "tome tier V" showed a skill "tier VI" (so VI and not V) but the tome it belongs to is Tier 3.

i Think there will be or at max 4 tiers of times, every tier of tome having two tiers of units / skills / spells and so forth, you can see that every tome has much higher tiered skills / spells on many screenshots and the gameplay reveal.
No. Tier V is showed next to the book, it's hard to see but it's there. The skills are for Book of Subjugation and tier VI almost definitely refers to research tier not the book tier.

Attachments

• tierv.png
    tierv.png
    829,2 KB · Views: 0
  • 3Like
Reactions:

No. Tier V is showed next to the book, it's hard to see but it's there. The skills are for Book of Subjugation and tier VI almost definitely refers to research tier not the book tier.
Brightness/contrast adjusted ver. for good measure.

Attachments

• godemperortome.png
    godemperortome.png
    249,1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Thanks everyone for their encouragement and specially for your acute observations!

A few semi-random observations regarding initial bonuses:
  1. Tier I Tomes always seem to add 5 strategic and combat casting points, Tier III ones seem to give 10 points each. So maybe 5 each for Tier I and II, 10 for III and IV, and 15 for Tier V?
  2. Most Tomes known so far seem to add a province building as an initial bonus (e.g. Abbey for the Tome of Faith) - at least this is my guess for now.
  3. A notable exception would be the Tome of Souls, which seems to add two other things instead.
  4. I am wondering if/how many other Tomes add another gameplay element like the Tome of Soul's "Soul economy" - I hope that there are more in any case as it sounds very interesting and engaging to add new mechanics during an ongoing map!
  5. The skill listed after the helmet symbol appears to be an ability that gets added to your leader (maybe that is too obvious but I haven't read it anywhere so far)
Either way, looking forward to watch this topic with updates and of course speculation :)
Thank you for your observations.

1. I'll try to reflect the increase in strategic and combat casting points in my next big edit.
2. It seems something like it, but a bit more complicated, because now that I'm looking at it, I see many different icons. I'll try to make sense of it!
3. Yes, that one seems very unique.
4. So far the Tome of Souls seems the only one that seems to imply the use of a unique currency, and I too would like to see more of them.
5. You re most probably correct! I didn't make any connections, but now it makes perfect sense. This i'll try to reflect too in the compilation.

I might be wrong here, but I believe we can tell what things are based on the shapes around the icons in the tomes using the Tome of Cryomancy as a base as we have seen how most of it's things work.

Using this poorly edited screenshot as an example.

View attachment 942857

We have seen Frost Blades, Summon Lesser Snow Spirit and Ice Coffin in action, and it seems to fit with the screenshots we have of other tomes.
Thank you both for your contributions. You are obviously on the right path here. This gives me an idea about making another section that tries to cover this topic. Maybe a "How to read Tome bonuses" section. I'll see if I can come up with something that makes sense.

There's actually one more T3 Tome that was revealed. It's Tome of Devastation, that can be seen here.
You are completely right! May the Wizard Kings bless you. I'll edit such info right away. You have won the "Force The First Edit" achievement! Congrats.

Brightness/contrast adjusted ver. for good measure.
I think your image will help avoid any confusions, so it has been stolen with all possible humility, obviously for the greater good, and incorporated into the compilation.

Last edited:
  • 10Like
Reactions:
2. It seems something like it, but a bit more complicated, because now that I'm looking at it, I see many different icons. I'll try to make sense of it!

It seems complicated, but I think I have an idea what they could mean: During the gameplay video, for example at the 17:15 timestamp (can't seem to link to it directly as the forum prevents me from posting otherwise?) in the city view, you can see that provinces have different category symbols attached to them which might hint at which kind of province improvements can be built within. For example, the one to the bottom left seems to be eligible only for "farm" type improvements, while the one to the right allows for four different types to be constructed. There aren't many symbol matches that I can see at first glance, but I believe that the two unlocked by the materium tomes (Runecarver Camp and Central Quarry) could match the "quarry" symbol.

Not sure if I am completely wrong, but mildly informed guessing is still fun!

Edit: Here is a screenshot of what I am talking about:
Capture.PNG

..aaand another edit with another informative snippet from the video:
Capture3.PNG

The "wood/log" symbol matches the Ritual Pyre, the Mob Camp and the Wildlife Sanctuary from the Tomes of Chaos / Tome of Beasts. It's also super cool to learn that there seem to be "bonus resources" on some tiles that likely get unlocked when you add the province to one of your cities and build something in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: