• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dev Diary #2 — Affinities

Hello Everyone and welcome to a new Dev Diary issue about Affinities!

My name is Tom Bird, and I’m a senior developer at Triumph Studios. Today I’d like to talk about affinities, one of the systems that sits at the heart of Age of Wonders 4. Each affinity represents an archetypal, cosmic force that defines the type of magic you can use, the elemental forces you control and the type of society your faction has.

There are 6 affinities in the game, but today we’re mostly going to be talking about Order affinity. Order is the power that brings structure to the Cosmos and to the lives of mortals. It is associated with light, faith, justice and the government of empires. In gameplay terms, Order has a focus on diplomacy, healing and city stability.

Culture

You first start defining your faction’s affinity by choosing your culture and society traits. Your faction’s culture represents who they are before you take control of them, and mostly affects your starting units. There are 6 cultures in the game and the one most strongly associated with Order is High Culture.

high elves.jpg

Here we see some High Culture elves, standing in the Magehaven, preparing to tread onto a new world!

Order is associated with Spirit Damage, a type of holy energy that is particularly effective against the undead. High Culture’s defining feature is that their units can become “Awakened”, allowing them to channel Spirit Damage through their physical attacks!

Society Traits

After choosing your culture, it’s time to choose Society Traits. These traits represent the general philosophy your people follow, as well as how they live and govern themselves. Each of these traits is associated with an affinity, and I’ve listed a couple of the order traits below.

chosen uniters.jpg

The Chosen Uniters trait is the epitome of Order as a force for diplomacy. It grants you 10 points of good alignment, which improves your diplomatic relations with the other (non-evil) factions that you meet, and grants you a bonus to income from Vassals, which are cities that join your empire via diplomacy instead of conquest.

imperialists.jpg

Of course, Order isn’t always about being nice to people! The Imperialists trait represents Order as a force of political and economic domination. It grants a bonus to Imperium income, which is vital for building an empire with many cities, as well as buying skills from the Empire Tree.

Tomes

The final, and most important, aspect of your faction’s affinity are the Tomes of Magic which you choose to research. Each Tome contains a number of spells, units and upgrades all centered around a particular theme, and each Tome is associated with one affinity.

There are 9 Tomes of Order in Age of Wonders 4, leading your empire down a path of righteous and lawful domination.

tome of faith.jpg

The Tome of Faith is an early game tome that is focused on healing and support units. It’s perfect for a religious faction that wishes to shield its armies with holy power!

chaplain.jpg

The Chaplain is a powerful healing unit who can Bless units to boost their combat prowess.

staves of mending.jpg

If you’re more interested in using your Culture’s own support units, then the Staves of Mending enchantment will grant them extra healing powers, as well as making them cheaper to support.

convent.jpg

The Convent is a unique structure you can build in your city that provides benefits that grow more powerful the more content and happy you keep your citizens.

tome of subjugation.jpg

Focussed on the more repressive aspects of Order, the Tome of Subjugation is a mid game tome focused on the domination and control of other races.

tyrant knight.jpg

The Tyrant Knight is a powerful shock unit, who specializes in delivering a devastating charge that shatters enemy morale.

final ultimatum.jpg

Once an enemy has been routed, the Final Ultimatum spell gives you a chance to convince a fleeing unit that their lives would be better if they switched sides.

baron_s palace.jpg

The Baron’s Palace gives a huge amount of income for a city structure, however it can only be built in the cities that you have conquered from your foes.

The Empire Tree

Until now, every choice we’ve made has granted affinity points to out faction, if we’d made a starting faction on High Elf Imperialists, we’d end up with:

• High Culture: +2 Order
  • Imperialists: +1 Order
  • Chosen Uniters: +1 Order
  • Tome of Faith: +2 Order

That gives us a start with 6 Order. So what does that mean to us? Well, one system that is greatly affected by your faction’s affinity is the Empire Tree:

empire tree.jpg

The Empire Tree contains the economic and social bonuses of the game (as opposed to Tomes which are more focused on military bonuses), and is divided into 7 branches: One branch for each of the six affinities, and one general shared branch.

Since our faction has 6 Order affinity, we will start rapidly unlocking skills from the Order branch of the tree (as well as the general branch) but we won’t be able to get anything from any other branches unless we get some other affinities!

The Order branch of the tree is focused heavily on diplomacy and vassals, giving you such skills as:
diplomatic channels.jpg

A Whispering Stone is a magical stone you give to a free city to help sway it to your side, since most empires only have one, this allows us to try and vassalize twice as many cities at once!

exemplar.jpg

The Rally of Lieges is a mechanic that allows you to recruit units directly from your vassals and ancient wonders. This skill means any unit you recruit via the rally starts as an experienced veteran with extra health and other bonuses.

Also, as you can see this skill will take us 10 turns to unlock. If we had fewer points in Order affinity, this would take longer!

rite of allegiance.jpg

As well as permanent upgrades, the tree also contains Rites, which are one off rewards you can trigger to help you out of a tough spot or to optimize a particular plan. This rite grants you a friendship boost with every free city on the map, helping you vassalize them faster.

Of course we don’t expect the player to stick to just one affinity, by mixing and matching affinities you can find synergies to help supercharge your empire! For example, Shadow affinity has many skills themed around deception and the darker sides of diplomacy.

This means that, once we’ve done enough research into our starting tome, we could pick a Shadow Tome, such as the Tome of Souls to add a religious death cult feel to our faction. This would give us 2 points of shadow affinity that would allow us to get skill such as this:

all seeing.jpg

This skill would allow us to use our extra whispering stones to speed up our magical research and keep an eye on distant lands!

Conclusion

This concludes our brief introduction to the affinity system! There’s a lot more to talk about here, your affinity also affects your diplomatic relations with others and your access to the Magical Victory Condition, but that will all have to wait until a future dev diary!

Next Diary will feature more details about Lore and Story Realms — stay tuned!

• 87Like
  • 40Love
Reactions:
Sounds interesting. One question though: if a vassal gets conquered by an enemy and I win the city back, will it become my vassal again or integral part of my empire? And what about the units that you could get via Rally of Lieges before the vassal got conquered?

• 3Like
Reactions:
We love you, Triumph! The game is shaping up to be the best of the series! And that is saying a lot!
Tombles, it is always good to hear from you, man! You're like the bringer of fun and laughter! Are you a devotee of Good? (or perhaps not :) )

• 7Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
if a vassal gets conquered by an enemy and I win the city back, will it become my vassal again or integral part of my empire?
As always when you conquer a city, you have options to vassalise, absorb or migrate. If the city hasn't been fully transferred to the other player it will return to its previous state.
And what about the units that you could get via Rally of Lieges before the vassal got conquered?
What about them?

• 12Like
Reactions:
So can you basically mix Society Traits. Like having Devotees of Good and Ritual Cannibals?

I like the depth of the affinities. But the Empire tree and possible synergies will be the most interesting for me.

It looks like the tomes are a much bigger deal than I thought -- on par with Secret Techs, albeit with more "branches" instead of just an initial choice. This helps some of my concerns. It seems like (for example) a Barbarian culture that goes big on Nature and plays the "wardens of the natural world" trope to the hilt will feel and play sufficiently different from a Barbarian that drinks straight from the Shadow and Chaos wells whilst screaming about skull thrones and other charming past times, even if they take the same racial bonuses. Different units, buildings, spells, bonuses, and "enchantments". Which reminds me, are Enchantments like unit mods from Planetfall?

• 8Like
Reactions:
As always when you conquer a city, you have options to vassalise, absorb or migrate. If the city hasn't been fully transferred to the other player it will return to its previous state.

What about them?
If the city is no vassal any longer, because you absorb the city, will you still have access to those units, or do you need to make it vassal again?

• 2Like
Reactions:
How do you get new Tomes? Do they unlock over time?

• 4Like
Reactions:
Can society traits be acquired or exchanged throughout the gameplay?

• 3Like
Reactions:
Excellent read - with very nice visuals and examples!
And experimenting with mixing affinities sounds really good - also for replayability.

For unlocking skills in the Empire Tree I assume you can unlock 1 skill at the time (and it cost 'Imperium resource' to start unlocking).

• 2Like
Reactions:
Hoping there's an option or research to upgrade vassals to allow them to produce armies of their own, maybe uplift them in some way? The Whispering stones seem like a pretty cool vessel for a feature like this :)

• 2Like
Reactions:
This gives me a lot of fun ideas, like what if we play as a shadow or chaos tome focused wizard king who has come to rule a High society. I am looking forward to mixing and matching. I also think it would be interesting to see if we could play as a good aligned necromancer. “The dead fight to protect the living” would be an interesting empire to play, especially if you could combine “final ultimatum” with a skill that raises dead enemies to serve you, that way they join you one way or another.

My biggest curiosity is how you progress through the tomes, will you need to pick an order tier 1 before taking an order tier 2 or will you be able to jump from an order tier 1 to a chaos tier 2?

I have a lot of ideas for the pantheon of Custom characters I want to make already.

• 5Like
Reactions:
So can you basically mix Society Traits. Like having Devotees of Good and Ritual Cannibals?

I like the depth of the affinities. But the Empire tree and possible synergies will be the most interesting for me.
Likely Good conflicts with Cannibal (see 2nd screenshot, lower right).

The idea of mixing Order and Chaos affinities reminded me of Knights of the Old Republic which had the problem of needing to pick Light or Dark and then sticking to it or risk ending up with a build that's too weak to finish the game. I hope AoW4 avoids this problem.

Furthermore, it would be very cool if there was a narrative element to picking tome and developing affinities. So you could play an order based Empire that falls to evil and/or chaos. I think that might be something for DLC though.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Interesting, the fact the research shows the tyrant knight riding a boar does help with my worries stuff might be too samey if racial variants exist beyond just what face up is under the helmet

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: