• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Lavaeolus’ Legacy

Bellerophon jumped to his feet he first time he was shown Lavaeolus’ maps. Such was his excitement that he agreed to donate five hundred drachmas to the great navigator’s recovery cause when asked. He had more to concern him than the fact that he was short two of the five asked – a loan was arranged. These money matters were of little importance to Bellerophon. He was too concerned with the opportunity presented by expedition.

Quickly, Bellerophon arranged for Atlantean settlers to embark and visit this new world. It was quickly decided a foothold would be established in the north first. Atlanteans would establish the first Greek colony on the mainland of this new world, building a small harbor called New Toledo on a peninsula to the north. Bellerophon christened the land “Pegasus’ Coast”. Before long, a large swath of the northern land charted by Lavaeolus would be under the Atlantean banner. Several more cities sprung up along the coast.

Bellerophon was not the only hero to see opportunity in Lavaeolus’ expeditions. Autolycos, Midas, Orion, Hercules and Perseus would focus on the navigator’s southern discoveries. Pelops, the old bag himself, would establish a few in the north. Hector and Theseus would hold scattered colonies in both areas mapped by Lavaeolus’ northern and southern journeys. Odysseus, using a few men and a simple trading hut, claimed a portion of Pegasus’ Coast, but before long the fierce natives would massacre the Ithacan traders. Not long afterwards Atlantean settlers moved in and claimed the area.

Bellerophon had the largest contiguous colony of all the heroes by controlling the entire area of Pegasus’ Coast. However, Hector held far more colonial land than any other hero, despite their scattered nature, after buying Odysseus’ colonies. Several of Hector’s colonies were in the northeast, in close proximity to Pegasus’ Coast. One of the Trojan settlements was merely across a river from an Atlantean one. How strange it was, seeing these cultures that for so long had been a world away from each other (being on opposite sides of the Mediterranean) brought so close together by Lavaeolus.

Before long, all of Lavaeolus’ discoveries were tainted with at least some Greek presence, be it a ten-man trading post or full-fledged city. Bellerophon still believed in the opportunity of the new world, though the settler expeditions that had so dramatically shaped the borders in the new land were no longer useful. Settlers could not violate national sovereignty, even if only ten Greeks and a trading post protected that sovereignty. And no one dared venture into the interior, beyond Lavaeolus’ explorations. So Bellerophon planned with his honorable friend and ally, Perseus, on expanding further.

Plans for colonial war had been in the works for some times when Hector and Theseus began a foolish campaign against Orion. Hector cited semi-reasonable but unproven claims that Orion backed an assassination attempt – Theseus cited ridiculous claims that Phoenecians must die because of the Temple of Hera that stood on Phoenecian land. Either way, it was time for Bellerophon and Perseus’ plan to go to action. War was declared, and quickly and easily the Atlantean Marines crossed from Pegasus’ Coast into Trojan territory, seizing the colonies there. Perseus (and Orion) did the same for Troy’s colonies in the southern half of Lavaeolus’ Land. Theseus, because of his joint war with Hector against Orion, joined against Bellerophon and Perseus as well, but quickly a gentleman’s agreement was reached that Gauls and Atlanteans would not fight each other on each other’s home land, but only in the contested Trojan territory.

With Theseus and Hector tied in Phoenecia, however, there was little struggle on the new continent. Not to mention the large Carthaginian and Atlantean combined fleets blocking any hope of reinforcement of colonies from the homeland via Gibraltar.

Finally, Hector agreed to sell his northern colonies to his assailants. Bellerophon and Perseus accepted this, hammering out the details later…

northcolonies.jpg

Notice which flag flies over Trojan colonies

southcolonies.jpg

Meanwhile, the treacherous Empire of Xo mentioned by Lavaeolus has yet to be encountered...

Last edited:
Blessings for 1650

Power was beginning to show as the heroes brought forth the blessings of the Gods, two heroes especially had done much to advance themselves these last 30 years, Autolycos of Rome building 5 new temples and Theseus of Gaul and Hector of Troy were not far behind with 4, though Hector had it was true come from a lower base. Autolycos with 14, Theseus with 12 then Hector and Odysseus both with 11 temples were the leading builders of this age. Others such as Perseus were not far behind but the leaders made much use of their superior channels to the Gods.

Hector forwent the minor blessings he might previously have used much like Autolycos and Theseus did and instead focuses them into tapping greaters powers that enabled him to scout more new lands in the east. Autolycos and Theseus did much the same in Europe whilst Theseus even began the long process of exploring the new continent across the great ocean.

Two new trading centers opened, one in Astrakhan and the other in Wurtemburg favouring Roman and Trojan trade whilst gold was also discovered in the foothills of Orenburg and quite surprisingly in Rome itself and Schwyz. Dionysus was sure to have had a hand in this so went common opinion.

Gaul despite the reported spiritual insight of their leader was still gearing itself for war calling on Ares to train their army and recruiting 2 new heros, one in fact a famous heroine by the name of Xena who might prove a match for Theseus if he was not careful!

Orion prayed to Hera and decorating the Median temple with golden statues that made a dent in the Phoenician treasury. A proposal was made to the people of the province that Orion has yet to hear the reply to.

Phoenicia continued its policy of exploring east both by land and sea, her mission clearly to reach the lands of the Mysterious Traders. What would he do when he reached them? Now that is the question for even if they predominantly traded in Lebanon their influence garnered the forging of new ideas all across the med. Would their annexation have a likewise reverse influence?

In Atlantis trade picked up exploration teams were sent across the sea. It was even said that a monster from Poseidon's depths swam now with their fleet.

Rome. What did Rome or more properly Autolycos do? Apart from exploring great chunks of the European interior he also got others to explore some of it for him! And not just that but perform other blessings upon his people and his merchants. Rumours suggest these extra blessings came from Pelops, but what did Pelops get for all this I wonder and how does Theseus feel about the matter? Clearly Autolycos wasn't sure for he prayed to Zeus for a superior leader nicknamed the Cub, but don't let the name fool you for this cub has is said to have a vicious bite.

Heracles did little beyond attending wild parties in the forests and getting drunk, though he did take a little time off to practice his skills with the bow.

Pelops, well we've already said what Pelops did, he sold out, err I mean stuck a good deal with Rome. But Perseus, now Perseus continued to explore down the western coast of Africa and maintained his deal with Poseidon. All opposing navies feared the Kraken that still swam with his fleet. Perseus also for the first time donned the legendary armour of Achilles, armour that some said would make him invulnerable. Whether that later was true only time would tell, but one thing it certainly did was increase Perseus' battle prowess (+1shock,fire,siege,move).

Little news came from Ithaca at this time beyond a rumour that the country was busy helping Athena weave a great tapestry. Exactly to what purpose is currently unknown.

From Phrygia and Sparta there was even less news for both realms had gone mysteriously silent.....

The Come yea latelys

Finally news arrived from Phrygia and Sparta. Phrygia had prospered under Midas' new policy of trading. Friend or foe I'll have that monopoly thank you kindly was his policy and it was a policy that had made him even richer than he was used to and enabled him to errect 4 new temples which he dedicates to Ares, Artemis, Apollo and Athena. He didn't forget his other sources of Gold though and was much pleased when he finally found a gold mine in Arabia.

Leonidas of Sparta meanwhile continued his slow forages into the depths of Europe and maintained what was now becoming the hereditary positions of General Hofestaes of the Army and Admiral Denethos of the navy. They weren't especially skilled generals or admirals but they kept the rabble in line.

Media's Torment

Dare he? Such thoughts and worse tormented him. Here was an opportunity his ancestors nay even his father would have laid down their life for, done it even just for a half truthful chance to think such a thing as lay before him now might be possible, and here he was worrying, but then he had much to worry about.

Orion wanted an answer. In two days! Yeah Gods how could he give him an answer so soon, there were people he had to talk to first, fellow priests and more importantly village elders not to mention the ineffectual fools who called themselves the council in this underground city. No the decision was his and if he made the wrong one and they didn't back him his days as the High Priest to Hera would be numbered, aye and even his days on this earth too. Oh this thing was too much for him.

Bah stop whimpering like an old man; but I am an old man! Why did this decision come down on my shoulders. I was happy wasn't I? Two grown children and more grandchildren than I can bounce on my knee, why should I risk them? Would it have been too much to ask to simply live out my days tending Hera's temple in peace? Now, now I have to put my life and that of my people before the eye of the world and even the Gods can't say where it will lead. Curse you Orion! What did you think you were doing coming here with a proposal like this, one that could only have one answer from any true Median. You might as well have asked Atlas if he wouldn't mind having a rest from carry the world on his shoulders as to ask a Median if they would abandon their temple to Hera. Orion was a fool to even think of proposing such a thing. Ah but the other option, ah now that was tempting. Tempting like the viper. Did Orion know what he was offering? Oh the pity that he hadn't been the only one present to hear Orions words. He'd tried to stop it spreading and hoped he'd kept it within the circle of his closest acolytes, but he knew if he tried to suppress the words now and pretend they'd never been said, well what was his life now against that of his people and his people wouldn't accept Orion's proposal without that extra step.

But would Orion accept it? No, he'd never allow it and he was a fool to even think it possible, but without it the sons of Media wouldn't fight for Orion. So perhaps he would risk it then in these dark times? Trembling he fell to his knees imploring Hera for guidance. Please protector of my people, guide me to make the right choice, I must protect my people from the bloodshed that is sure to follow, we cannot risk it, I know we cannot risk it. Please Hera, keep us hidden and our city safe from harm.

Relaxing at last he felt a soft hand placed on his shoulder. "You have made your mind up then?" Criptis asked, and even as the High Priest nodded he watched as the dagger in Criptis' hand entered his side.

"Freedom for Media" he whispered as he slid to the floor.

Criptis approached Orion at the end of the 48 hour period. My Lord, our high priest has sadly taken ill, but I as his heir and in consultation with our council have decided to accept the generous offer you made to our leader. Media will live as a semi autonomous region free to express our culture and religion and in return we will support you in your wars. I am also given authority by our council to present you with this staff we have held in sacred trust from Hera as a token of our appreciation that you would do this for us, and he offers forward a long staff who's head is intricately shaped into that of a serpent with two emerald eyes that seem to sparkle as though alive. When you are in need of aid my Lord, simply plant this staff in the ground and Media will answer.

The land of the setting Sun
Pelops heard the news of Lavaeolus great journeys with happiness. Land could be found beyond the sunset, or at least the sunset was much further away than it seemed from the great mountains of Galicia.

Thus, Pelops began the construction of a great shipyard to honour Lavaeolus' journey and sent colonists to claim the lands for the Peloponnesus. Unfortunately, after his fourth journey that had cost the lives of many Peloponnesian adventurers, Lavaeolus had been struck by an illness that would cost a great deal of money to cure, and Pelops had just spent it all.

Therefore, he took him to the construction in Catalonia and promised to name the shipyard after him, but he could, unfortunately, not aid in the curing of this great man. He could only hope other nations could gather the funds for the explorer.

Yet, once the shipyard was finished the people flourished, and near the lands of the Xo great cities were built, protected by some of the greatest forts in the land of the setting sun. Especially Placentia was created as a last resort, where the people could flee if the Xo invaded and hold out untill reinforcements from the homeland could arrive.

At the same time, other heroes expanded, and Bellerophon built many cities near the lands of the Xo aswell. Yet, were it foolishness or greed, he built few fortresses, leaving the people wide open to attack. Seeing this, Pelops saw what a price the constant wars could extract on the poor people of Atlantis if the Xo struck. Thus, he offered, via Perseus, to sign a peace with Bellerophon on the condition that he would not set up outposts on the island where Pelops had built his great cities in the new world. And Bellerophon, perhaps now a better man than a century ago, or perhaps forced by the circumstances, accepted.

Thus, for the first time in nearly 150 years, the Peloponnesus had no clear enemies among the people of Greater Greece.
And so, on the death of Atreus, a great hero in body and mind, allthough never tested in war, died in peace.
As he died, the Atreides were preparing to leave the Peloponnesus, for good it might seem.

New Elysium
In the vast expanses uncovered by Lavaeolus on his western journey, the climate was mild, warm even, while the lands near the Xo were cold, snowy wastelands. Offcourse, the northern lands provided steady revenue and space to live, but the true prize was New Elysium and the sunny islands strung out off its coast. Thus, Pelops was most pleased when messengers from Autolycus, an unfrequent sight in Catalonia, offered to sell their many lands there in exchange for certain blessings. Pelops was only to happy to agree, knowing that while enclosed in Magna Graeca, he could expand into the unknown in the new continents of the Xo and of New Elysium.
However, Dark Omens were filtering in now, and Pelops feared the worst for the lands near the Xo. Thus, he set about to expand and secure his position in New Elysium, and contacted many heroes. Still, he also cared about his northern lands and set about to enhance his position there so that he could defend it longer if the Xo arrived, by fortifying the entire island of Placentia's great fortress.

Many deals were struck, and Pelops was not too pleased about the certain outflow of gold it would cause, yet he knew his priorities. Men cannot eat gold, men cannot live on islands of Gold. Humans need food, land, space to make a living, and if it took gold to secure that goal, so be it. He would not let his people be turned to gold if he could help it, and he would not fear to part from his gold to aid his people.

His conscience felt guilty for not aiding Lavaeolus when he was ill,yet his people were allready profiting from the Lavaeolean shipyard. And if ever the Xo struck, it would be invaluable to be able to quickly send supplies and men to aid the beleaugered people.

Yet still, he was worried. Theseus and Hector had attacked Orion for some reasons based on tales of drunk soldiers and Theseus' hatred against Hera. And while Pelops did not like Hera's actions, Theseus did not much better.
Thus, he did not march with his ally, and Theseus did not protest. In fact, he was soon to realize his error, and Hector called off his attack quickly when presented with the honest denial of Orion. Even if Theseus was still deep in Phoenicia, he would undoubtedly come home and end this mad quest to defeat a Goddess. Pelops needs only to think of his father to know the Gods are too powerfull for men to fight, or trick.

Thus, he had faced no serious war for 50 years. And while he doubted it could last, with the bad omens for the lands of the setting sun, where the sun only shines barely enough to keep ice out in summer, he would surely attempt to maintain the era of prosperity it had brought to his people.

The trial of Leonidas

Closing address by the prosecuting ephor

Gentlemen of the jury, it is my solemn duty to bring before you the accused, King Leonidas, who has been indicted by unanimous vote of the ephors, on capital charges of impiety, tyranny and cowardice.

It being nine years since the last vigil, as required by law, the ephors all lay awake 3 nights ago watching the sky for the shooting star that would indicate criminality on the part of one or both Kings.

During the night 15 such events were witnessed by all the ephors and numerous more by some of them. It was evident to us that criminality of an extreme and widespread extent was present in the Kings and we immediately summoned them to an inquiry into their behaviour.

It is well known that the oldest citizens are the wisest, which is why only the Kings may serve in this jury prior to reaching the venerable age of 60. We naturally first enquired into the conduct of King X, who is considerably younger than Leonidas. We were surprised that we could find no action of his that was in the least discreditable. In fact we could find no evidence of any action of his at all. When we questioned him, he kept referring us to Leonidas, who is so much older and wiser. When we questioned Leonidas, this picture was confirmed. The constitution requires one King from each of the two Royal houses, but only Leonidas is exercising royal authority. It is clear that he has used his age to overawe and effectively dethrone his rival thus creating a virtual tyranny. Were this his only crime, a fine and a warning as to his future conduct would suffice, but 15 stars testified that there must more.

Gentlemen of the jury, you are well versed in Spartan history and you will remember that when Sparta was menaced by Xerxes, the city sought an oracle and the oracle that was received stated that a King must die if the city is to be saved. Why are we here in New Sparta? Clearly the city was not saved. Who was the King that should have died? Leonidas. Who is the sole survivor of that city still among us? Leonidas. He may protest that he was brought here by warlike Ares and that his survival was not of his own making. This may be acceptable in other lands, but not in Sparta. Leonidas sent away two of his bodyguard on missions so they were not with the other 298 when they fell at Thermopylae. They should have died there but they didn't. The magistrates of Sparta reminded them of their duty by revoking their citizenship and they both fulfilled it shortly afterwards, one at his own hand and one by advancing in front of the phalanx in the next battle against the Persians. These members of his bodyguard knew what was required of them. They survived when they should have died, so they made sure they died shortly afterwards. Not only does Leonidas live, but the city that should have been saved by his death is destroyed. A man who lives when he should be dead is a trembler. He has no right to be a Spartiate, let alone a King.

Gentlemen of the Jury, you have, with the exception of the Kings, been selected by the citizens on account of your exemplary virtue exhibited over a long life. You are aware of the importance of observing the proper rites when dealing with the gods. When faced with a difficult choice, it is correct to consult an oracle to determine the will of the gods. The questions asked and the oracles recieved are solemnly recorded. How often has Leonidas consulted an oracle? How many questions that he has put are recorded? A King that reigns in a peaceful era may never need to consult an oracle, but Leonidas not only shows his impiety by hardly ever consulting an oracle, he also fails to carry out their instructions on the few occasions that are recorded.

He rules as one where there should be two. He is a tyrant. He lives when he should be dead. He is a trembler. He does not give oracles the respect that is due to them. He is impious.

For these crimes he should be fined, stripped of his citizenship, and executed. However, his unnatural life span indicates that a death sentence might be difficult to enforce, and it would be less disruptive to the good order of the polis if he illegally returned from exile, rather than illegally returning from the dead. Therefore the ephors recommend that eternal banishment be substituted.

The golden decades of Phrygia

A New World

Lavaeolus, master of the seas, made three journeys and explored a New World, Xo. He offered the knowledge of his explorations to the Champions of the gods, free of charge. Midas was overjoyed. He would have access to the wealth of a New World without having to pay for it!
Though Lavaeolus later asked for a huge sum of money (500 ducats!)...
Midas declined of course. Free of charge, is free of charge afterall. But he wished Lavaeolus the best of luck and a good health.

All countries, except Troy and Ithaca which rather fought each other, went on a colonizaton spree and soon the riches of the New World were divided between them.
But since Midas knew Phrygia would be unable to defend the colonies far, far away, he saw them as an investment. When someone would offer a fair price for them, they would be sold.
That is, if they wouldn’t turn into Gold. But it is unlikely that Dionysus would spread his blessing this far.

The first person interested in Midas’ colonies appeared soon. It was Heracles of the Centauri. He had his eyes set on the island of St. Thomas. A Spartan colony, but Heracles failed to notice this. And Midas received a few golden ducats by this Heraclean mistake:

Hercules (Centauri) :*Midas, care to sell me the Isle of St Thomas?
King Midas (FAL) (Phrygia) :*for the right price in GOLD
Hercules (Centauri) :*A 150d sounds fair for a small trading post
King Midas (FAL) (Phrygia) :*150 for the isle of st. Thomas, Agreed.
Hercules (Centauri) :*Will pay you start of the year

A year passed.

Hercules (Centauri) :*Money sent to you
King Midas (FAL) (Phrygia) :*you send 150 for st. thomas?

And then Heracles realised the truth...

Hercules (Centauri) :*LOL! Fool. You don't own St Thomas!

Midas thanked Heracles for his generous gift and Heracles had Midas’ blessing to take St. Thomas! from now on.
If other Champions are interested in the colonies of others, they can always contact Phrygia to buy the rights :D

Years of peace passed, a well needed peace! Phrygia spend the peace years with reaching infrastructure level four, shortly after Gaul. They build four more temples and now have a mere seven temples. Better than nothing, but in no way to be compared with the temple niveau of Rome, Gaul, Ithaca or Troy. But Phrygia is on the road to prospering. And Phrygian traders established many monopolies. Hermes would absolutely notice this. If he would not be the god of thieves, Phrygia would already have a temple dedictated to Hermes.

The Shining Golden Armour

One day a whale splattered on the coast of Carthago and Perseus received the Shining Golden Armour! No doubt because Poseidon liked him.
But Perseus knew Midas wanted the armour and he offered to trade it for a part of the triangle.
Of course Midas immediately accepted the deal. A Shining Golden Armour! Really strange Perseus wanted to trade it, but that is his loss!
From now on Midas wears the Shining Golden Armour and, not surprisingly, the armour suits him very well.

Perseus had to wear the ugly bronze armour of Achilles, but since he seems to be happy with it, it was a good deal for both parties.

The Phoenician Assassination Dagger

It was revealed that Orion possessed the assassination dagger! The dagger that was used in an attempt to murder Hector.
Hector, of course, immediately declared war on Phoenicia and invaded to avenge for the assassination attempt, despite Orion protesting he only bought it or something. Theseus joined the war, for he was insulted as a host back then. And of course because Orion worships Hera.

For Theseus started a campaign to remove the worshipping of Hera entirely. Midas understood this desire, since he knew how it is when the gods start to murder your inhabitants.
Hera wasn’t worshipped in Phrygia anymore, the same with Poseidon and Zeus. And they never would be worshipped anymore if it was up to Midas.

While Midas would never declare war on someone only because the victim had a temple dedicated to the wrong deity, he would certainly not stop his troops when those would decide to burn a temple down. Accidens in war time happen.

The future for Phrygia glittered. The country was wealthy, the Gods did not disturb the life of the inhabitants anymore and a new gold mine was discovered in Arabia. Every single Phrygian province now was covered in gold.

Rumours reached Midas that other nations, Rome and Troy, had a source to gold as well. This was very interesting news.

Perseus and Poseidon

When Midas once again made a public call to every Champion to no longer worship the gods Poseidon, Hera and Zeus, Perseus asked for a negotation about the matter.

He made clear that he found Midas to be misguided on the issue. Midas hardly was surprised, since Perseus was one of the main worshippers of Poseidon. The rumours of the mighty Kraken that swam with his fleet were also told in Phrygia. Other champions continued with their worshipping of Poseidon as well.
No, Midas certainly did not expect Perseus to agree with him, but nevertheless he had to try it.

But Perseus kept saying Midas was wrong about the matter and added to it that it was not only the three Midas talked about who punished Phrygia back then, but the whole pantheon!
According to Perseus, every single god wanted Phrygia to be punished because they all seem to believe Midas did not sign a white peace with the harpies back then.
And while Perseus agreed the punishment was too hard, he told Midas that the gods were beyond good and evil. Humans, even mighty heroes, cannot judge their morality.

Midas thought about the more than 150,000 Phrygians which were drowned, about Hera’s own priests she sacrified to the flames of her fury and only barely managed to calmly reply to Perseus that he choosed the path of no courage and that he escaped the wrath of the gods, but that others were not that lucky.

Perseus agreed that Poseidon acted very harshly, but pointed out that even if Midas would destroy every single temple dedicated towards him, he would still remain a god, a most powerful one. Midas would never be able to harm him, but he would be able to kill even more Phrygians would he decide so.
He pointed out that Theseus realised the very same shortly too in his crusade towards Hera. And Midas wanted to not only oppose Poseidon, but Hera and Zeus too! The whole pantheon would releash it’s fury upon Phrygia if Midas would not give in.

So, what do you expect Perseus, that I just say sorry to Poseidon and re-re-dedicate my temple on the Canary islands towards him (as Bellerophon seem to demand)?
That would not only mean that I have to bow for a cruel god, that I would spit on the lifes of the thousands and thousands drowned Phrygians, but that I would trade the wrath of Poseidon with that of Aphrodite.

No, while you are probably right that I cannot win this vendetta with the Gods, I cannot possible just give in. My reputation is at a stake now, the Phrygians expect me to protect them from the gods

And Perseus replied: “Yes, you need to protect them. And what would be better protection than making sure the gods will no longer rock Phrygia with their wrath?
Give in to Poseidon, give in to the Pantheon. It’s the only way to make sure no more Phrygians will be killed
.”

Midas said: “Wise words Perseus, but no. First of all, I would not be sure that no more Phrygians would be killed. Afterall, I can make the slighties mistake again and another few thousands will be drowned. And secondly, the only way to give in is by either sacrificing money to Poseidon or by building a temple. Both are too costly for Phrygia. You know, we are a ravaged country! Poseidon cannot expect Phrygia to give up gold when we are in this state!”

Perseus heard these words Midas spoke to him in the glittering golden throne room, while Midas was covered in a golden armour.
After drinking a bit of wine, from a golden grail, he answered:

Of course I realise Phrygia cannot miss money to give to the gods, nor they can afford to build a temple to Poseidon. But I have the solution to that!
I, Perseus, will fund Phrygia a new temple. A temple dedictated to Poseidon!
It will assure Poseidon will forgive you and it will assure no more Phrygians will be killed. This is what you want, my friend. And I want to secure our good relations, for Carthage will continue to worship Poseidon
.”

For a while, Midas was flabbergasted. Perseus would fund the temple? That gives interesting possibilities...afterall the main reason why Midas was still not on good terms with the Gods anymore, is because they demanded him to give gold...
He would make it appear to the Phrygians that he personally would build the temple, with his own money. And explain it to them..they would understand that their king only wishes to protect them from more anger...and if he paid for it with his own money, the Phrygians would realise Midas did everything for their safety!

It would mean he gets on terms with Poseidon again, free of charge and that his people would love him even more!

Perseus! There is no way I will forgive Poseidon, Hera or Zeus their actions, but you are right. I cannot continue this way, the gods would only make my time harder and take more Phrygian lives.
In my heart, I will never worship them, but if it is necessary, I will honour them to prevent more anger.
I am very, very glad you understood the troubles of Phrygia and that you will fund the tempel building! I, Midas, thank you for this out of the deepest of my heart and I am sure Poseidon will reward you for this as well!

So shall it be. Phrygia shall build a new temple for Poseidon and worshipping of him, Hera and Zeus is no longer forbidden.
Never shall I forget the actions of the Gods, but it’s the only way to secure my nation
!”

And after these words Perseus left.

Till today Midas is puzzled why Perseus was this generous, but he was glad that there finally was a way to get out of the mess, without him having to give up gold!

Last edited:
Wonder of the World Revealed!
- Great Tapestry of Ithaca leaves world stunned -
- Admission fees waived for invading armies -​

This year, priests of Athena revealed a great work of art created by the best weavers of Ithaca over generations and blessed by the Goddess Pallas Athena herself. Depicting the swell, or even, one might say, the tides, of history in ever changing patterns, the tapestry is nothing less than a tool of inspiration for the ruler, wily Odysseus, champion of Athena.

"I am very nearly pleased, and I will not whine all that much about the inferior effects compared to the enormous price I have paid", King Odysseus is said to have told an inquisitive passer-by.

Effects: The Great Tapestry of Ithaca grants the owner +2 DIP, +2 ADM, +2 MIL (up to a max of 9) and +4 XP/turn. It is under the protection of Athena throughout the first session after creation (March 20), but after that session, it can be demanded by any visiting horde, which manages to hold Ithaca's capital, has a 99% victory score, and takes the Tapestry instead of any other gains (alliance-wide!).

Perseus Journals

Chapter XXIV Dream, Hallusination or Reality Zeus Quest for Thalia

It was windy day one of those days change could be feeled in the air. Earlier short war with Troy had ended Troy:s northern Xo provinces ceded to Atlantis and state gift from Carthage had been send to Troy. It was quit notable sum but something Carthage could afford when later this would bring new sun island to Carthage.

photo_36.jpg

Perseus day dreaming of Thalia.

I Perseus was having relaxing afternoon nap when something occured was it just dream, hallusination or reality one never knows. But it had to do with Midas & Theseus their “problems” with gods and Zeus for hes agreemen for Thalias hand. Thalia who had stolen my heart and heart of my people. One thing was clear dream, hallusination or reality I had goal that I Perseus would aim for no matter what it would cost. I wont give up my promise to my people and myself that I would do anything to achieve marriage with Thalia.

Immediatly I Perseus started to think how could I achieve my goals with Theseus and Midas. I decided first to concentrate efforts on Theseus who was so openly after Heras temples and followers. Negotiations were long and didnt achieve break throught. Things didnt look very good but them after some time passed news reached Carthage that Theseus had met with Autolycos and found new calling. He had suddenly seen hes error and embraced pasifism. Again my hope raised and I sailed again to Gaul but after new negotiations I realised I have to wait , hope and see if Theseus new found pasifism would one day open doors to my proposal that Theseus builds temple to Hera and seek her forgiveness.

Having finished talks with Theseus I Perseus decided to look to Midas long continued “problem” with gods. Again I arrived to the fabulous golden capital of Phrygia and meeted Midas who was proudly wearing hes new shiny golden armor. While talking with Midas an idea formed in my head does Midas love gold more than hes hattred. That in mind I proposed Midas away out where he would favor gold over hattred. It seems the word free gold opened Midas eyes or atleast hes love for gold greatly surpassed hes hattred. So deal was agreed gold for Midas in exchange of Midas seeking forgiveness of gods and build temple to Poseidon that ofcource would be funded with Carthages gold.

When sailing back to Carthage I Perseus was happy it seemed I might actually reach my goal something that had looked to be so far away. Thought soon some news from Perseus and Midas agreement spread among other champions who started wonder has Perseus gone mad or is he plainly insane. I smiled myself to these words because I was madly in love so it might be said to be true.

Years started to roll slowly again while new colonial city was build to Timbuktu and both home and sun island fleets expanded. Know world seemd to sleep dream of peace some land change took part in new Elysium in exchange of different payments. Everything comes to end allways and the known worlds dream of peace sleep chattered when Rome attacked Sparta to restore Leonidas on throne of Sparta.

After few month of war Midas called to me Perseus to honor signed argeement so I Perseus left the alliance with Atlantis and answered the alliance call of Midas. About year later Midas sent the call to join war against Autolycos and Rome. Call was answered and I Perseus boarded ships and set sail toward Rome. Arrving to coast of Rome I landed to Napoli where Autolycos waited with hes army. Great was the battle at the shores of Napoli but in the end Achilles armor and new Carthages weapons won the day sending Autolycos on retreat. Using the moment I ordered my army to take Napoli despite its large fortress yet it was lucky day and Napolis brave garrison was defeated.

photo_59.jpg

Carthages troops landing to the shores of Napoli

Reinforcements arrived and war continued to go down Italian peninsula and next great battle between Perseus and Autolycos was fought in XXX. I Perseus was outnumbered but waited reinforcements to arrive unfortunedly it took too long for them and I was lucky to be able to withraw on Carthages fleet outside Firenze.

After battle in Firenze no more battles occured between Autolycos and Perseus at this point Rome ended its war against Sparta and Midas had started to negotiate peace with Rome too. So as after taking Genova I retreated back to Carthage to wait what would be results of Midas and Autolycos negotiations.

In few months and after Midas defeated Autolycos in battle peace was agreed gold mine of Rome was ceded to Phrygia. Agreement of Perseus and Midas was so completed when after war Midas build temple to Poseidon with gold send from Carthage ofcource.

At the end of war I Perseus received suprise visitor Theseus. He told that after hes journey to talk with Hector and Orion, making peace with Hera and new found pasifism Theseus asked if I Perseus would still keep my word to help Gaul build temple to Hera. I was more than happy to help Theseus to build for Hera it would finnish my goals to get one step closer to hand of Thalia. Again Carthages mint was ordered to print more money and soon silver coins flowed to Gaul.

I Perseus was most pleased to how things had played out thought treasure holder of Carthage had started to complain me how everything even remotely valauable was hauled away from Carthage. Poor fellow was so close to breakdown that hes noisy nightmare of how Carthage would bakrupt started haunt nights in royal palace.

Now that I had finally managed achieve my goals I travelled to Zeus temple where I prayed him telling him what I had done. For was it dream, hallusination or reality I saw it my duty to tell Zeus what I had accomplished for him because I Perseus concidered the quest reality. Others can make their own assumptions was it just dream, hallusination of Perseus or reality.

Last edited:
Are Wedding Bells in the Air?

"You did what Father!" Thalia stood glaring at Zeus. "How dare you try and marry me off as though I'm some prize in your machinations!"

Zeus had just told Thalia about the task he had given Perseus before he would give his approval to allow the Hero to marry. This wasn't quite the reaction he'd expected...

Aphrodite who was also present chimed in "Oh he's always doing that Thalia dear, how else do you think I end up with Hephaestus for a husband?"

"Now why don't you just stay out of this Aphrodite" Zeus quickly tried to shoo the Goddess away. Clearly he should have picked a more private moment to speak about this to Thalia.

"Why should she?" asked Athena and Zeus inwardly groaned. Women! All he needed now was for Hera to show up, and he glanced around half expectantly but thankfully she seemed to be elsewhere at the moment. Probably harrassing Theseus he thought.

"Hephaestus!" he boomed, gathering himself together. "Kindly take your wife away, this is a private chat, or at least I wish it were" he mumbled under his breath.

"Now Thalia, be reasonable" he began trying to recover the situation, "I thought you'd fallen for this hero anyway."

"Fallen for him?" Thalia stopped to consider for a moment, "Well perhaps I have and perhaps I haven't" and for a brief moment she looked uncertain, but then her resolve hardened, "well even if I do like him it doesn't mean I want to marry him! And besides that should be my decision!"

"Come Thalia, Perseus did bring Theseus and Midas back in line, the lad shows promise. What more could a woman want?"

"Yes, but he needs to prove himself to me." And this time Thalia spoke with quiet determination.

Sighing deeply Zeus asked the inevitable question, "So what does he need to do then before I can give, I mean before you will marry him?"

"Well" and Thalia's brow wrinkled in thought, "I think if he were to build a temple to my sisters and I on those little islands in the Mediterranean, well that would be a nice wedding gift don't you think?"

Zeus smiled at this, half in relief and half because he was suddenly feeling somewhat mischievious, "very well but I'll pick the islands. He did complete my last task somewhat too easily. They say the harder it is to come by something the more it will be appreciated!

"So we will agreed then, you will marry Perseus once Perseus dedicates a temple to you and your sisters on let us say the islands of Sardinia, Corsica and the Balleares..."

Looking somewhat uncertain Thalia nodded her head.

Horum omnium fortissimi non sunt Gallii

The coward had fled from Phoenicia even before the Medean volunteers had begun marching. True, he had angered Hera by attacking, but to turn tail like this and run like a coward, no true Hero would act like that, if you challenge the gods, you should be willing to face them. How could the Gauls live with such a man as their leader?

Orion knew he wasn’t the bravest of heroes, but to challenge the gods, and then run from men? He hadn’t even rejoined the army when Theseus fled across the border into Phrygia… There was little left to do but accept Theseus’ escape from justice. Justice for his unprovoked attack against Phoenicia, first and foremost, at least for Orion, but also justice for his acts against Hera, and the Pantheon in general.

Perhaps some other day, but it seemed unlikely.

The dagger

But Theseus’ cowardice ran deeper, it appeared.

Faced with the relentless Trojan attack, Orion quickly attempted to get in contact with Hector, whom he had considered a friend up until the attack. Even now he had trouble seeing him as an enemy. Hector was reluctant to believe that Orion was not behind the ancient murder mystery, but he agreed to call of the attack in exchange for Orion giving him the dagger for closer study. When news came from Troy that it had been Theseus, host of Hector at that time, was behind the attempt, much that had happened in recent years made a lot more sense. The sale of the dagger had not been a coincidence, and Trojan agents hearing of it so soon was easily explained if Theseus had set up the sale, and realised what Hectors response would be.

Clearly, Theseus had hoped to wrap up the last loose ends of the attempted murder by framing Orion, and he would gain a useful ally to hide behind when acting against the Medeans in Phoenicia.

Clever, but not clever enough. The plot was eventually unravelled by Trojan agents, but aside from a half-hearted apology from Theseus, the issue remains unsettled. Theseus, whom Orion had considered a friend for quite some time, had quickly shown himself to be a treacherous coward, not worthy of Phoenician friendship. But Gaul is far away from Phoenicia, so a punitive expedition is not likely either, but Orion would keep out a wary eye for Gaulish attempts to damage Phoenicia.

Troy

The dagger incident had certainly managed to damage Trojan-Phoenician relations, but as the true perpetrator was soon identified, the process of restoring the relations could soon commence. Of course, Orion would not trust Troy so much as he did before, and there would now be a more careful border guard to keep watch, but friendship was certainly still possible.

This friendship was certainly cemented when a cooperative campaign in Ithaca, the lands of Odysseus, met with so much success. Odysseus horrible betrayal against Hector was avenged, and some lands could be restored to Media.

Media

As a consequence of Theseus’ dastardly deeds, Media was now an autonomous region in Phoenicia. However, their lands were still greatly diminished from the original country that Odysseus had so ruthlessly destroyed. But now, with a strong alliance backing them up, the Medeans began to voice their wishes to unify once more their homeland.

The first steps were taking in the joint attack on Ithaca, Phoenician garrisons now guard two provinces that will soon be turned over to the Medians, and Hectors cooperation in this holds promise for a solution for the Medean lands that he has conquered from Odysseus over the years.

Phrygia

The vendetta of old seems really to have cooled down, for decades now has there been peace between Phrygia and Phoenicia, and only the escape of Theseus through Phrygian lands puts a small strain on relations. Barring divine intervention, a true friendship may well be in the making.

Lavaeolus was a fool.... A famous fool, but a fool nonetheless.

His voyages are famous, to be sure, but where is he to reap the benefits from this fame? Dead you say? Indeed, he died as a broken man, bereft of his memories. Some donated money for a cure, but they were few, some named a ship or some shipyard after him, but that is about all.

He was always the most ambitious of us all, and that is why he had so much trouble finding new crews, when I return from a voyage, the docks are filled with people wanting to know when I will depart again. Not because they want to be rid of me, no! , because they want to be a part of history. They want to be there when we finally dock at a harbour in the lands of these mysterious traders that continue to travel to and from Phoenicia.

... Sometimes he just couldn't resist. The Basrah docks were always filled with boys yelling that their father had been part of one of the crews of Lavaeolus - most probably just in their fantasy, most of the men here had never been farther than a few miles out of the shore.. Well, except those that had traveled with him, but it was hardly likely they would tell their sons they had travelled with Lavaeolus. The man he was talking to now seemed genuinly interested, but then again, so had the man so many years ago who had secretly swapped some of his maps with well known maps of coasts near Egypt.

That was, of course, why he did not, yet, give his true name to the sailor he was talking to now. There were a few captains here who ventured farther than most, but he went farthest of all, but the man needn't know, yet.
Oh, if the man proved trustworthy, his real name, Sileg Nav, would probably still send chills down his spine. Indeed, it was he who had led the first two great Phoenician expeditions on the Great Eastern Sea. He was too old, now, to travel once more, but he had hand-picked from his former crews those that showed greatest promise to lead the latest, and hopefully the last, expedition to find the lands of the Traders. Now, he needed just to find a few more sailors, and the expedition would be ready to sail.

He was an old man now, but should this expedition be succesful, as he was convinced it would be, he would be famous. Already had he found a great writer, who was even now writing his life story. For now, he knew little more of the work than the title, but it held great promise.
Isthmus, Patros, Taenarius, Into Eternity

he liked the name, and he was sure he would like the tale. He was an old man now, but he was sure he would be famous before he'd die, a great hero to the Phoenician people. Ofcourse not as great as Orion or Enkidu, but his name would be forever connected to this eastern passage, he would be the greatest mortal hero of Phoenicia.
Nearly thirty years after Lavaeolus' death, he would finally catch up with him, and overtake him!

[OOC: let's see who finds the reference(s) :) ]

A recent popular gaelic folk song

The Ballad Of Theseus

There was a king so just and wise
The hero amongst the men and mice
He ruled his land with wit and charm
And protected it with his strong arm

That king was Theseus

He bravely faced all the dangers
Gently hosted the travelling strangers
Sun shined on his land
Protected by his hand

For he was wise and just

Swift justice cruel vengeance
Eye for eye that made sense
He risked his life to protect us
And avenge the fallen ones

For he was brave, Theseus

Alas, there are things impossible to fight
With braveness, strength and worldly might
One can't wage war against an illness
Nor can one slay a Goddess

And helpless was Theseus

Woe for the hero once tall and strong
With sorrow and madness he sang along
In hubris he rose for avenging the dead
In the lands of east he caused much dread

For mad was Theseus

Lances and swords and axes and shields
Spears and daggers and blood on the fields
Sadness and sorrow and soldiers dying
Widows are wailing and orphans are crying

Where ever went Theseus

The warnings of friends again he ignored
Looting went on his bloodthirsty horde
No quarter he asked no quarter he gave
In his madness he was digging his grave

The beast called Theseus

We know not if a girl or friend
Or a poisonous plot of the fiend
Struck the mad king one night
But suddenly he abandoned the fight

In tears was Theseus

He ran with his troops and killed no more
In that night he became a total bore
But the wounds in his mind were still sore
He surely would suffer more

In pain was Theseus

He abandoned the ways of violence and war
Never again would he fight anymore
His madness went on but changing its course
From waging war to groveling on all fours

For a treehugger was Theseus

He cried and wept and apologised and ran
Now he was no longer no hero nor man
He wept for the dead and hated himself
He had become a pacifist elf

A pacifist Theseus

No longer the man could stand up straight
He groveled maggotly in his wimpiness great
He organised rallies against all wars
He truly was now the Queen of Bores

So wimpy was Theseus

Sooner or later all madness must end
Miracle or death will the cure send
And thus in his guilt he sailed out on the sea
Out in the ocean he could no more flee
His fate that he met on the thundering waves
The king who once was proud and brave

It was the end of Theseus

This is Earth Calling Earth Calling, do you copy Theseus?

Bon Voyage

The boat was rocking gently on small waves in the middle of the ocean. The sun was burning hot, shining from the cloudless sky. There was no wind, in fact the conditions had been like this for a month now. It was as the gods had abandoned the little boat in this endless, windless, all-devouring, all-burning sunshine.

The boat was empty, except for a lone man. The man was kneeling down praying. His tanned skin was wind-beaten and dry, his beard and hair were messy as birds would be nesting in them.

There was great sadness in his eyes, and his voice trembled when he muttered the words of the prayer. Were it not for the extreme level of dehydration he was suffering, there would be tears in his eyes, too. He had ran out of food a long time ago, and two days ago he had run out of water, too. As if he would care. Back in Gaul, the God of the Underworld had not answered his prayer, now the Sea God was silent, too. His champion did not relieve his pain, nor did his supposed-to-be father.

At least that was what the legends said. That Poseidon was his father. But then again legends are legends. And would it matter now? But before it all ended, he wanted to know. Yes, the truth still mattered. No longer could he live in this world, he could not carry the responsibility of all the suffering and death he had caused. It was all coming to an end soon. He would not be the Champion of the Dead anymore. It was time to find peace, and end this miserable existence. But before that, he had to know the truth.

He had been here now, praying, for two months. The Sea God had not answered. Was he unhappy? Surely he could not be for the Gauls had just dedicated 3 beautiful temples to him, temples more expensive and thus better decorated than any of the earlier temples.* Was there a sacrifice still to be made? The Final Sacrifice?

The others had returned to Gaul when they arrived to the spot the Oracle had indicated. They would probably come soon looking for him, but that would do no good. They would be late, he would be dead already. Or even if they arrived in time, he would not want to go back. Not to live that same life again, not to carry the same guilt again. Not without the truth. He summoned up the last of his strength, and for the final time, he cried out the Sea Gods name.

"Poseidon!"

The man collapsed. His eyesight was dimming, his consciousness was escaping. Despite the cruel sun burning from straight above it was getting dark . In the final second of his consciousness, he thought he heard an enormous roar, like the waterfalls back in the beatiful mountains of Gaul.

The huge wave landed upon the boat, shattering it in an instance. Then, the ocean was silent again. Only the boat was a collection of flotsam now, and the man was gone.

*The bad part of building temples to gods is that every god wants their temple to be bigger and better than the previous ones. building a lesser temple, or even similar, carried a high risk of offending the god in question. This lead to the unfortunate fact that the temples tended to get more and more expensive all the time. For example the recent temples for Poseidon were each, inflation-adjusted, over three times as expensive as the first temple Theseus ever built.

An uneasy silence
Pelops looked out from his new summer resort in Aragon. A splendid idea, moving here. The mountains gave some cool during summer,
when the weather in Catalonia could cook a man alive. as he looked, he saw a man on the road in the distance. Probably a fish merchant, considering his speed. Trade and commerce had really picked up in these peacefull years.

Ah yes, these peacefull years. From nothing to a large player in New Elysium, even if it was expensive. It had also allowed him to ensure his position in the lands of the setting sun, where now the entire island was his. Maybe, peace was possible, even if he could never take leadership over all in this world in Hephaestos' honour.

Hmm, interesting, he thought. The man he had seen before was coming towards him. His guards were allready out to meet him, who knows what brought the man here.

After a quick knock, he responded "come in" and the man stepped in. "King Pelops, I bring grave tidings. Apparently, a plague has erupted in our lands in the far north. We know not when or whence it came, but a ship arrived just days ago in Oporto speaking of a creeping menace."
"Hmm, and what do we know? Are the Gaelic and Atlantean lands struck aswell? Has the ship been quarantined?"
"We don't know yet, and yes. The ship is quarantined, allthough it seems the ship isn't struck. Apparently, it heard from a ship, or a God, that the plague has struck."
"So they have not actually been to the place, and we thus know near to nothing? We will speak with Theseus and even Bellerophon. You may leave."

A plague, just now things were going so well? Sure, Leonidas had been overthrown, but with his attitude that was no surprise. Autolycos had tried, and failed, to restore Leonidas, but Pelops did not expect the revolution to expand. All power was his, and no mob would take it. Offcourse, there had been dark omens, but such was life. Yet such a plague was not normal. If Theseus and Bellerophon were struck aswell, there was but one possible source: the legendary Xo.

"Yes, King Pelops. Both Theseus and Bellerophon report some kind of plague, and both have no actual reports of it. For fear of spreading the plague, both have taken similar measures to quarantine the area as we have, even if there was not much communication to begin with."
"Good, good. we will ponder this matter, we need more information before we can act. In the mean time, we will prepare temples to Apollo to ask for a cure once we know we can't cure it, or thank him if we can."

The lands of New Elysium were beautiful indeed, thought Atreus. Here, one could indeed live a life of peace and bliss, and he was only too glad Pelops had sent him here.
"My lord, a man is here with a proposal."
"Excellent Orestes. Send him in."

"Lord Atreus, I ask for your approval. I, Tenas Vutys, am preparing an expedition into the inland. Please, could you ask King Pelops to send the blessings of the Gods with us?"
"Hmm, Tenas, perhaps I will. If you pledge that you will bring all your maps to me and Pelops I will send your request with our next message ship."
"I do so pledge, lord Atreus. Thank you for your kindness."

"He asks WHAT?"
"Uhm, my king, he asks that you give the blessings of the Gods to some expedition inland."
"Sure, he only wants to expand his little kingdom at my expense. Well, he will not get that. I will give him this blessing, once. After that, either he's out of New Elysium, or he loses his privileges."
"But, my King, he is the only one even remotely capable of leading such a vast region."
"Except for me, Thyestes, except for me. But you are right, offcourse. With your next orders, demand that he builds some temples to Apollo there. Apollo sees all, and he will know it are my resources building it."
"So you wish to keep an eye on him, then, my liege?"
"An eye? Yes, preferrably that of a God, from time to time. Atreus may be a good man, he is only a man. If he can seize power like that Spartan mob, he will. There's a reason he's out in New Elysium."
"Okay my King, I will see to it that the orders are sent."

Our words are backed with BIOLOGICAL WEAPONS
Pelops looked out again from his window. These were the only times he could truly rest, but it was coming to an end. Winter was coming, and he would soon be back to busy Catalonia. Another man was approaching, in worn clothes. He went through the same procedure as all, and after being let in, proceeded to Pelops.

"Ahh, High Priest Pericles. What brings the high priest of Catalonia to this backwater?"
"Grave matters, king Pelops. Grave matters. We have heard of the new temple in Oporto, and of the statues to Zeus ordered."
"Yes, and?"
"We have also heard new temples to Apollo are to be built in New Elysium. And that, while both Zeus and Apollo have as many temples as Hephaestos allready."
"Your point being, priest?"
"My point being, that you are letting the worship of Hephaestos slip. For how long has no new temple to Hephaestos been built? The last attempt is more than a century ago."
"I am the king, I am Hephaestos' champion. I will not take such insults!"
"Very well, but you can explain to Hephaestos if you have no new temples built to him before the next Olympics."
"Get out, now!"

Pelops really had to learn to control his anger. Atreus was likely just working for the good of the kingdom, and the High priest was right.
Still, he had a hard time controlling his temper. When he had a clear foe, like Bellerophon, it was easy. But now, danger was sneaking in on him, with these Xo sending plagues, mobs removing kings. It was just hard to stay calm. Perhaps the Olympics, which were due in only a few decades, could help his temper, or perhaps a grand victory. But this quiet, sneaking silence, was killing him. Who was he, really? A champion of a god, a king. But that were only functions. He himself was just a nervous man, not worthy of being a champion. He needed to improve, and he would find a way.
Especially as he had the perfect insurance that no Hero would invade: that plague, which would be his last resort, but a powerfull one indeed.

Highlights from Prayer effects for 1677

As the years passed and the heroes vied for ever more power the presence of the Gods of Olympus became ever more evident as they meddled more and more in the world of men. The Kraken, terrifying beasts of the sea were multiplying and such creatures were now employed by Perseus, Bellerophon, Hector and [edit]Autolycos, the four great maritime nations, to inspire fear in opposing navies.

New heroes were apearing by the will of Zeus, heroes who nearly rivaled the kings of the Mediteranean, Aeneas was summoned to Troy to fight once more by Hectors side. Xena continued to fight for Gaul, Enkidu for Phoenicia and the Tub for Rome. Who exactly Tubby is nobody is quite sure...

Little need be said about the continuing explorers. All the heroes were exploring to greater or lesser degrees. Gaul was probably the greatest but Rome and Troy were close behind with others hot on their tails.

In Sparta two kings came to sit upon the throne harkening back to another time, another place - and quite a squeeze it was too. Agis and Cleomenes were their names and they were said to lead Sparta now in battle. The question remains as to whether they would be capable to enforcing their rule for not all the heroes recognised the new power structure in Sparta and the exile of Leonidas.

Probably the greatest event though to occur was Theseus's decision to move his capital from Provence to Auvergne, and so some would say a safer distance away from the Roman border.

Last edited:
Marching to the vote (tune St. Gertrude)

It was midsummer which is election day in Sparta. Dorussas had been on parade since dawn and it would be past midday before he and his messmates entered the temple to cast their ballot for the gerontes and draw their lot for public office.

No electoral roll was needed, for the right of each citizen to participate in the election was signified by the panoply he wore. While the scene had been known to cause great perplexity amongst the watching ambassadors, it all made perfect sense to Dorussas. How else should the election be conducted but by the army on parade? All citizens of sufficient means were required to participate. Those means were demonstrated by the possession of the heavy infantryman's gear that showed that Dorussas and tens of thousands who paraded with him were willing to fight and die for their city.

The shout of "No conscription without representation" rolled down the line once more, the festive sounds of the city died away, the ranks formed perfectly, and, led by a sole flautist, each unit advanced one verse closer to the temple and their civic duty.

Onward Spartan Soldiers
March against the foe
Its the place of honour
There's nowhere else to go

At the end of the verse the flutes stopped, the marchers halted, and the parade became once more an easy camaraderie. THe festival sprang to life again as Dorussas looked around to see what sights the last verse had brought his unit to. The route was lined with entertainments put on by and for various types of lowlife. The citizens, of course, were all in the parade, but they were surrounded by women, children and foreigners. No true Spartan would demean himself by engaging in trade or manufacture. The more mundane of these functions were carried out by slaves, and the more skilled by foreigners. Some of the entertainments were extremely lavish as the richer of the foreigners sought to impress one another with their wealth or the quality of their goods. Occasionally there would be an exiled poet or musician of real quality on show, but all of the citizens with artistic flair were on parade, so there was little to distract Dorussas from talking politics with his comrades. Last year there had been a scandal when the Centauri ambassador staged a strongman display and offered a year's free cavalry training as a prize to any who could best the Centauri champion. Dorussas smiled at the memory of the burly Centaur offering to take on any comers in a tug-of-war. Two boys had demanded to be allowed to pull together, since the Centaur had four legs and they had two each and he had spilled them in the dirt with a flick of his wrist. Then he started offering to take on any four together, and then eight, and then sixteen. It actually took the sixteen strongest boys from the graduating class to hold him to a draw. The real insult came when the Centauri offered them each one month's cavalry training. Fortunately for the honour of Sparta none of them accepted. The disgrace would have been terrible if the top sixteen graduates had been seduced into the cavalry.

Onward Spartan Soldiers
Marching to the vote
Not against the Romans
Since they've got all the boats

The main discussion was who deserved the honour of election to the gerousia. This council comprised the two kings and 28 gerontes, men of proven worth and character and aged at least sixty. Membership is for life, but it is a rare year that there are no vacancies. This year the priests had identified seven candidates for four vacancies. Each voter received several balls from an ephor, at least one white and one black, the actual number determined by the priests after consulting the auguries. The voter then cast their white balls for candidates, and their black balls against candidates by placing them in the jar marked for that candidate. The candidate with the most black balls would be excluded, as would all candidates that received more black than white. The vacancies would then be filled by those with the most white balls. Formally this was actually a nomination, and the election itself would be at the end of the day, when the nominated candidates were presented to the voters for acclamation. Of the 7, Glaucus was a certainty, as one of the few surviving heroes from the war against the Roman tyrants. Leobatas and Polydoros would get Durrusas and his messmates' votes, because they belonged to the same regiment. The interesting one was Dystases. He had been one of the board of ephors in the year that Leonidas was deposed. The discussion was intense, and likely the same as was happening up and down the column. Should he be voted for or blackballed? Should they tactically blackball someone else to reduce Dystases chance of being blackballed? These questions had to be debated and thrashed out now, because when the time came to cast their votes, everyone would see whose jars their messmates dropped their balls in.

Onward Spartan Soldiers
Marching to the flute
Our upper lip is shaven
Only the chin's hirsute

Why Spartans first shaved their upper lip is not known. Some say it was to clearly show its stiffness and prevent tremblers hiding behind a moustache. But now it is a symbol of obedience to the law and as such the law requiring Spartan citizens is re-enacted every year along with that other pillar of society, the declaration of war on the helots. Though, in Durrasas' opinion, they could do with a few more helots. The state allotment of slaves was barely enough to run his farm. If the shortage was not diminished some Spartans would have to start ploughing their own land rather than enjoying the fruits of the slaves. If he was an ephor, he would certainly be looking to add to the pool of communal slaves. If he picked the right ball, it could be him tomorrow. Once they had cast their ballot for the gerontes, they would draw lots for public service. It was like the voting, only in reverse. You put your hand into a jar of white and a few black balls, and if you drew a black ball then you were a public official for the next year. You might be an ephor, or you might be a tax collector in some faraway province that you had never seen before. That depended on a second lottery which those who had drawn the black balls took part in after all the citizens had drawn their lot. Since the lottery took place in the temple of Ares, and the lottery balls were the property of the temple, the drawing of lots is colloquially known as "feeling Ares' balls". Since Ares is the war god, he has a lot of balls.

Onwards Spartan Soldiers
Feeling Ares' balls
We will serve our city
However duty calls

“Peace is good, is it not?” Bellerophon said one day, looking down from his palace onto the city of Atlantis.

“Certainly sir,” said Atheus, Bellerophon’s highest advisor. “Though in my time I have not seen foreign armies invade, Atlantis and its dominion has been increasing steadily in wealth. Surely this peace is good, comparing it to the misfortunate and horrible history we teach at the academies.”

“Yes, it has been good, but…”

“My lord?”

“Perhaps my people now take it for granted? It may not always be so.”

Atlantis had fought wars in the recent years, and its armies had won victories, but these victories are hundreds of miles away from home. The Iberian homeland has been unaffected ever since the truce with Pelops years ago. Extended peace with both Pelops and Perseus had set Atlantis. There had been war with Troy, but it had been relatively bloodless and entirely fought in Lavaeolus’ land. Bellerophon had led men into Roman territory to quell rebellions and indirectly oppose Midas’ and Perseus’ invasion, but that was half a sea away. Real war had ceased at last. But could it last?

War with Pelops was unthinkable, of course. A stable northern border was a very good thing. Too much to lose and too little to gain in war between Iberians – unfortunately both Bellerophon and Pelops had only seen this recently. Hopefully it would last.

Tensions with Midas remained strong. Bellerophon resented Phrygia’s presence in the Canaries. Despite Midas’ supposed atonement (thanks to Perseus’ money), Atlantean citizens and officials continued to demand that the Temple to Aphrodite in the Canaries be restored to its rightful place, dedicated to Poseidon. Bellerophon still considered Midas’ gold very horrible, despite the somewhat amusing fact that it failed to make him wealthier than certain other countries. In case war occurred, Perseus’ position seemed unknown – would he side with Atlantis or Phrygia or stay neutral? It was unlikely either Bellerophon or Midas could defeat the other without appealing to Perseus for aid.

Strange omens continued, and a strange plague appeared in Atlantis’ colonies in Xo. The Empire of Xo itself was still considered a myth. Atlantean settlements pushed inland from Pegasus’ Coast along the Pegasus (St. Lawrence) River and would continue to do so in the future. No signs of the ‘Xo’ had been found. Only petty natives, ones easily slaughtered or converted to Greek custom. However, the cause and cure for the plague remained unknown, and Bellerophon commissioned a temple to Apollo in Pegasus’ Coast itself, hoping the presence of a bastion to the healing god would help in some way.

Bellerophon looked again at Atheus. Would Altantis rise up and grow in its power? Would Atheus generation end up suffering as their ancestors did? Would his children?

Bellerophon was uncertain.

Theseus: Lord of the Waves

There’s a hole in my boat,
my boat, my boat,
There’s a hole in my boat,
Dear Poseidon, a hole!

Then mend it, dear Theseus,
silly Theseus, wretched Theseus,
Then mend it, wet Theseus,
soggy Theseus, mend it!

The hole is too big,
too big, yeah too big,
The hole is much too big,
Dear Poseidon, too big!
…and, incidentally, are you my father?

POSEIDON: THEN DROWN AND CEASE YOUR ETERNAL YAMMERING! (AND IF YOU WERE MY SON, I WOULD BE DEEPLY DISAPPOINTED IN YOU)

…And it came to pass, that Theseus, Champion of Hades, faring far in a derelict vessel, sank with his ship, drowned, and paid cold master Hades yet another personal visit. Aye, indeed, so many times did Theseus die and rise again in those days, that Hades is said to have installed a revolving door at the gates to speed up the process of getting mad Theseus back to his throne. But this time, mad Theseus demanded an audience with Hades himself before leaving, and Hades spoke unto him, saying:

HADES: You have coveted my wife, taken advantage of my hospitality, made a mockery of the finality of death, and yet, you seek to bother me with MORTAL CONCERNS? Theseus, you are my Champion, though little need I have of a Champion, for in the end, all come to me, but the least you could do would be to leave me alone. NOW, LIVE, AND CEASE YOUR ETERNAL YAMMERING!

…And mad Theseus did rise again, and his madness found a focus. Long had he desired to know whether he was the son of Poseidon, indeed, he had very often asked the priests to ask the gods for details on this specific issue, and since Theseus did pay for the maintenance of several large temples, the priests tended to do what he asked, at least when he was nearby, yet he had never received a definite answer. The closest was “when the olives swim on the wine dark sea, an answer shall be revealed unto the third son of a goat” – which was not all too useful, since, despite several contests arranged by Theseus, none of his farmers had managed to breed swimming olives.

But this time… This time, Theseus found a focus. If neither priests nor gods would help him, he would help himself. After all, Poseidon had not denied his parentage. It was almost a confirmation. Very nearly. Practically a certainty. So Theseus would take up the challenge and become the Lord of the Waves, the son of the sea, the master mariner, and let none challenge his mastery over the seas. Then, when in final glory he commanded the oceans of the world, THEN, let anybody dare challenge his divine parentage!

Now, Theseus, through madness, had passed through madness and to the other side and was, in two words, dangerously sane. His old friends in the aristocracy of Gaul were obviously too land-bound and held too much power, were he to transform the nation to this goal, so they would have to go. Likewise, most of the local councils were stuffed with farmers. Something would have to be done.

And thus it came to pass that Theseus, returning to power once more, conspired with the merchants, scoundrels, priesthoods, and pirates against his old friends in the landed aristocracy, and he led a somewhat bloody coup against his own government overthrowing it, and, reinstalling himself as supreme leader, made of Gaul something new in the world – a pirate’s paradise and the home of the self-proclaimed Lord of the Waves.

The revolution in Gaul has the following publicly known in-game effects

Code:
[u]1) Change of DP-settings[/u]
Aristocracy        5 to 2 (-3)
Centralisation     9 to 3 (-6)
Innovativeness     0 unchanged
Mercantilism       4 to 6 (+2)
Offensive         10 unchanged
Land               7 to 0 (-7)
Quality            5 to 3 (-2)
Serfdom            5 to 4 (-1)
…and stability is –3, of course.

2) Privateers
Theseus must, every year when not at war, spend at least 50d on privateers in coastal zones bordering land owned by other champions. (No fleet unloading spamming, please)

3) Largest Navy
Theseus must maintain the largest and most modern navy in the world. For every year that he fails to do this, he will be somehow penalised, the penalty to be devised at the discretion of the GMs.

4) Ruling the Waves I (Battle)
Theseus may receive unspecified bonuses at the discretion of the GMs for major naval victories. (Over and above helping him to achieve #3). Failure to attempt to bring about these circumstances will be penalised.

5) Ruling the Waves II (Mediterranean)
Theseus may receive unspecified bonuses for domination of the Mediterranean. The more sea zones in the Mediterranean are “home waters” (i.e. adjacent to one of Gauls provinces), the better. Theseus is strongly encouraged to attempt to gain naval bases throughout the region. Failure to attempt to bring about these circumstances will be penalised.

6) Ruling the Waves III (The New World)
Theseus may receive unspecified bonuses for domination of the seas and coastal zones of areas outside the starting area of Europe and North Africa. The more sea zones outside Europe are “home waters” (i.e. adjacent to one of Gauls provinces), the better. The more seas dominated, the better. (E.g. two sea zones next to each other in the New World do not count nearly as much as two sea zones far from each other in the New World – as large a geographic area as possible must be dominated). Theseus is strongly encouraged to attempt to gain naval bases throughout the world. Failure to attempt to bring about these circumstances will be penalised.