• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
If the point is sharp, and the arrow is swift, it can pierce through the dust no matter how thick.
Bob Dylan

ok, so I "borrowed most of the text, but I still think it's nice :)

Ignorance is bliss, they say, but they are wrong. I have had my share of bliss. I have had my share of ignorance, and they certainly did not coincide. True happiness I experienced being with the one I love, doing the things we both loved, but it ended suddenly in agony and pain. As I did so often, I was walking from island to island that morning. And then, suddenly, pain, agony! One short burst of incredible pain, then blackness, unending blackness.

Then, after what seemed like eons, I began to experience something again, a feeling of wholeness, but at the same time, emptiness. Then, I sensed more and more, but not as it had been. I saw, but it was not really seeing, I heard, but it was not really hearing. I felt, although it was not really feeling, that I held a bow, as ethereal as I were myself.

Then, I realised what I saw, animals of all sorts! A bull, a hare and many other animals.

...But alas, hunting ethereal animals, with an ethereal bow and arrows, was not as rewarding as hunting had been. Aeons passed, and I spent my time thinking, wondering, and hunting ofcourse. Nothing ever changed, nothing ever happened.

But all that suddenly changed, a bright flash, then complete darkness again. Then I was back on earth, or was I? I washed ashore, and next to me was one of Her arrows. Odd, but not so odd compared to what I experienced then. It was a familiar shore, I recognised it at once, but none of the villages, none of the buildings that should be there were visible. Then I saw that I was not alone, many others were there on the beach, between the trees, and they seemed as confused as I were.

Then, a familiar voice

"Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains

Time hurries on
And the leaves that are green turn to brown
And they wither in the wind
And they crumble in your hand

Now the sun has come to Earth
Shrouded in a mushroom cloud of death
Death comes in a blinding flash
Of hellish heat and leaves a smear of ash
And the sun has come to Earth

And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared"

If anything, this confused me even more. There was a short pause, but not near enough to grasp what it meant

"And so you see I have come to doubt
All that I once held as true
I stand alone without beliefs
The only truth I know is you

I've built walls
A fortress deep and mighty
That none may penetrate

Well you can tell the world about this
You can tell the nation about that
Tell 'em what the master has done"

Images of a small speck in the sea, images of an arrow speeding through the air.Then, images of a burning world, people fleeing, people dying, Gods fleeing, Gods dying. Then images of a lush green world, images of a fortified city, centered around a great Temple. Images of a proud and strong people, slowly fading away until I saw again my surroundings.

"Hang onto your hopes, my friend
That's an easy thing to say
But if your hopes should pass away
Simply pretend
That you can build them again
Look around
The grass is high
The fields are ripe"

Then it dawned. This was not Gaia. Here was a new world, this was Her world, these were Her people. And I, I were Hers too, and I would remain Hers for eternity. But these people needed a leader now, a leader strong of will, a leader that would be Her right hand.

I would be that leader.

If the point is sharp, and the arrow is swift, it can pierce through the dust no matter how thick.
Bob Dylan

Wholeness, emptyness.... Again..

Where had it gone wrong? Phoenicia had prospered, Phoenicia had grown, the borders had expanded everywhere, great cities had been built, mighty walls protected them. Phoenician merchants had been welcome everywhere and brought back great wealth from their destinations.

But alas, all this could not protect Phoenicia. When the scheming Odysseus and the strong-arming Hercules threatened to overrun Media and Troy, I saw no option but to aid my neigbours against these agressors. Brave Hector had perished in the defense of Media, and the armies of Troy were nowhere near the great city when Hercules launched his campaign across the Aegean. Swiftly, I led the Phoenician cavalry through the passes of Troy, and arrived just in time to meet the Mycenean armies outside the gates of the great city. The strong-arm Hercules was amongst the first to fall to my arrows, the Aeons amongst the stars had not reduced my skill, and many more followed. The army of Mycenae was routed, and killed to the men on the beaches where they made their final stand.

After this heroic victory, our armies marched quickly east to aid the Medians against the scheming Odysseus. But when we reached the border to Media, a messenger caught up with us, the greedy Midas had claimed the lands of Phoenicia, and even now were his armies marching into our fair country. With all haste, we marched south again, and opposed the Phrygians wherever we could, but the long marches had taken their toll, and our best efforts were not enough to repel their treacherous attack. We were regrouping in the northern mountains when the terrible news arrived, the scheming Odysseus had overtrown the Median government, and had added the lands to his.

However, not all hope was lost, as this also meant that the Trojans would now perhaps be able to aid us in repelling the greedy Midas, nearly 50,000 of the bravest Trojans and Phoenicians marched south to defeat greedy Midas once and for all. After a failed Phrygian assault, our troops assembled to rout them back to whence they came, but then Dyonisus stepped out of line - who else would want to throw our army into disarray by turning the very sands of the desert against us! Greedy Midas no doubt knew of this, as his men immediately turned and started to pursue our armies. I stood there, with a few noble comrades, Phoenician and Trojan, to let the remainder regroup in safety. Many Phrygians perished there, but one by one, my comrades fell.

And then I were suddenly back here, I dread thinking of what has become of Phoenicia, and can only hope that I may lead her back to her rightful glory.

Bob Dylan

So I returned once again to Phoenicia, and what I saw was not as bad as my worst fears, but it was still pretty bad. The economy was in shambles, many loans had been taken. The army was nonexistant, only the Temple Guard remained, and the southern territories were taken by greedy Midas. And so I faced a challenge to get Phoenicia back on her feet.

With great hardship, most loans were payed off in their first term, and the last was payed after one extension. At the same time, the Phoenician army had to be built up for the inevitable expedition to punish scheming Odysseus for his hubris. It took several years of campaigning before scheming Odysseus could be brought to justice. Phoenicia received a generous share of the spoils, for which I am grateful, and the country with me. After the war, I personally led the army to help restore order in New Ithaca, lest some tyrant take power for himself. As order was restored, I quicklymy army back south, as greedy Midas tried to press Phoenicia into acceptance of his conquests of Phoenician land. Naturally, this could not stand, and a wary peace followed.

However, many did not believe it would remain peaceful, and they settled in areas they hoped would be spared the devastations of war. Cyprus, being an island, and Armenia, deep in the Caucasian mountains, were the most popular destinations.

All the while, greedy Midas continued to try and secure his unlawful occupation of Samaria and Jordan, offering a treaty that would fix the borders as they were at that time- effectively meaning that Phoenicia would give up trying to liberate the oppresed people of Samaria and Jordan.

He even went as far as offering a "duel between men of honour", naturally, Orion could not accept such a ridiculous duel while his subjects were suffering at the hand of the Phrygian government.

Greedy Midas then made the mistake of wanting to add even more lands to Phrygia, to subdue more free people. He turned towards Carthage. I knew I would have to act now if ever the people of Samaria and Jordan were to be liberated, and I did. Token Phrygian resistance was swiftly broken, and on the plains of Alexandria, I headed forty thousand of the finest Phoenician horsemen, and we managed to intercept Midas and his army. They were slain to the man, none surrendering.

And now some men think they can decide what is hubris, and allthough I am sure they cannot, they still command too many men to ignore them safely, and I prefer to spare my people another war. And so, a generous treaty has been offered to greedy Midas, a treaty which he grudgingly accepted. I know, though, that I will have to remain vigilant and offer whatever protection I can to the people of Jordan.

But the future looks far more bright to Phoenicia now than it did three decades ago. I have set some of Phoenicia's best cartographers and scholars to solve the riddles of the Gods. And hopefully we can finally build the great temples designed by our architects. It is high time that more temples are built to better honour the Gods.

Bob Dylan

Phoenicia 1506 to 1535

Blessed by the Huntress, and with peace on all borders, Phoenicia seemed destined to prosper. And it was so, mild taxations and bountiful trade brought in great riches to the great cities of our land. And our great leader, Orion, used these funds well.

The gods had shown us a way through the mountains of Azerbaijan, and the most adventurous of our people settled there, and Orion, in his wisdom, rewarded those brave adventurers, for their bravery is an example to all.

A second project was funded from the Phoenician riches, aswell, as the great Phoenician marine was expanded to ensure that trade would flow uninterupted.

But the greatest projects, for sure, were dedicated to the Gods. On the request of the Gods, Orion and the most noble of the Phoenician soldiers embarked on a great journey to punish Heracles, and their punishment was swift and just. By far the largest amount, though, was spent on building great Temples to the Gods. Besides the Great Temple of Artemis in Lebanon, and Zeus' Temple on the highest mountain of Phoenicia, three new Great Temples were built, a Temple to Hera in Derbent, a Temple to Apollo in New Syria, and a second Great Temple to Artemis in Damascus.

All these great deeds, however, are overshadowed by recent events. Greedy Midas once more sent forth his hosts of fell barbarians, and they ravaged the countryside. And oncemore, as Orion faced Midas to repel him, did someone intervene to grant greedy Midas an impossible victory. Orion, and with him the youth of the Phoenician nation, lay dead on the field. And once more did Midas claim souvereignship over Phoenician territory.

But that was not all, for Heracles, justly punished years before, held a grudge against Phoenicia, and the Mycenean navy blocked the ports of Phoenicia, and harassed our merchants and fishermen, until his demands were met. What these demands were, only the regent knows, but rumours have it that an artifact of great power was lost to our great nation.

Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

"So, the gods like surprises, don't they," Orion whispered to one of his advisors as the strangers arrived for their audience.

Their bows, in perfect unison, were fitting to Orion's position, yet they radiated something else. If anything, they were too perfect.
"Welcome, strangers, to fair Phoenicia. So long as you respect our customs, you are welcome to stay as long as you want," Orion said while waiting for any information that could be obtained about these strangers, who had so suddenly appeared outside Lebanon requesting an audience with the ruler of the city. "What brings you to this city, and why have you requested this audience?"

"Noble lord, we are but humble merchants, seeking to trade the goods of our homecountries for exotic goods from this country."
Orion had no trouble understanding the man, but somewhere in the back of his mind, he felt that something was strange about the man's voice and language, though he could not say what. "We seek merely your consent in our trading activities, as this often greatly eases the trouble of making a deal with the local merchants."

"So long as you abide by our laws, and pay customs duty as does everyone else, I see no reason why not. You have my permission to trade. If there is nothing else? I have to inspect the new recruits.I trust that for further arangements can be made with the treasurer."

"Thank you, my lord, we are most grateful, please accept this gift as a token of our apreciation"

treasure.jpg

... In but a few months, caravans laden with goods from abroad arrived almost dayly in Lebanon, and an equal number would depart with Phoenician goods of the highest quality. Trade was booming, but not everyone was happy, as the strangers were so skilled, and their goods so highly valued, that many Phoenician merchants were reduced to factors of the foreign merchants.

"I hear you have a matter of importance for me?"

"Indeed I have, mylord, the foreigners have come with a most unusual proposal," Answered the treasurer,"They request a small plot of land near the harbour, from where they could organise their caravans, and could, perhaps, even arange seaborne trade." [OOC: Trade Agreement- I was spammed with the requests]

"I see, most unusual indeed. Have you been able to find more about them? Where they come from, how their caravans come here?"

"Very little, mylord, I have seen excellent maps of their cities, but none of the way there, and I am, as yet, at a loss at how they get here."

"Then hold off their proposals for now, but try to find out what they are willing to offer for a better trading position. It is, after all, a matter of give and take, and if I understand correctly, for now most wealth flows to them."

"Indeed mylord, very little of the profits finds it way to Phoenician coffers. But I shall try to find an arrangement that will benefit us more, aswell."

Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes II

"Mylord, I have some further information about those merchants, although, I fear, of little direct use."

"Any information is better than no information, you know that."

"As you say, mylord. It appears that these merchants have sent emissaries to the others aswell, carrying to them, in some cases, even greater treasures than we received. I do not know why, though. However, there is also some positive news. Under the blessing of Apollo, some of our bravest trackers have managed to trace some merchant caravans that were headed for the south-west. These lands are not overly fertile, but a profit could certainly be made from them. I also suspect that a settlement in that direction might show the merchants our good will in helping protect their caravans, perhaps their gratitude can be rewarding?"

"Very well then, I trust you will arrange for sufficient funds and volunteers to establish a secure settlement?"

"Ofcourse, mylord, I will arrange for this at once."

"Good, dismissed."

Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes III

The Phoenician economy was stagnating, and Orion knew what the main cause was.
Certainly, the arrival of the mysterious traders had brought knowledge, some say they were responsible for introducing firearms to the world, and a short-term boost to the economy. However, ever since these merchants had arrived, domestic trade that would gain the Phoenician coffers anything was virtually non-existant. By now, the mystery traders could almost be called a common sight in Phoenicia, and the Phoenician economy would likely crumble if Orion would decide to oust all the traders.

And so, while the domestic economy was all but entirely taken over by the mysterious traders, other nations could expand their economies, based on strong domestic trade, and gain riches far beyond the wealth of Phoenicia. Even an extensive spying and copying campaign, designed to combat the traders with their own weapons, was not as succesful as Orion had hoped.

The Gods

And so it was that Orion saw no other solution than to appeal to the Gods, hoping that their favour could some day return domestic trade to Phoenician merchants. Under the protection of Apollo, the Sun God, Poseidon, Lord of the Seas and Hermes, the Trader and Messenger, expeditions were sent eastward to discover the route the mysterious traders used to bring their caravans to Phoenicia. It seems the expeditions are coming close to discovering the route, but they are not quite there yet. However, it seems that the parts that have been discovered yet may provide Phoenician traders with the knowledge and power to atleast attempt to compete with the mysterious traders, and finally regain a foothold in Phoenician trade.

Midas

All this would ofcourse not have been possible, had it not been for what seems a lasting peace with Phrygia. It seems that Midas' curse, although he refuses to call it so, might be Phoenicia's salvation. With gold flowing all through Phrygia, the minor amounts of Gold and Silver Phoenicia does have fail to really catch Midas' attention, and this can only be good for both countries. The bloodshed of earlier wars remains in the memory of both our peoples, and a sentiment of "never again" remains strong. Perhaps, someday, distrust will have waned so much that an alliance between our two nations would be possible, but much would have to happen yet for that to happen.

Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes IV

"My Lord, as you requested, I have searched in the libraries for the economic reports of the years 1619 to 1624." The treasurer tried to dissapear in plain sight- Orion had sometimes been irrational ever since the Trojans had invaded.
"I hope that they DO contain atleast some reference to the trade?"
"Not directly, my Lord, however, there is an unexplained cost, and a loan taken out shortly after your meeting. Alas, at the request of the merchant, even we have kept it as vague as possible. But here is what we do have."

Code:
Liquid assets 1618		==67
Census Tax 1618		=208
Incomes Tax			=225
Trading Incomes			=175
Production Incomes		==93
Temple maintenance fees	==60
Tolls and Tariffs			=142
Bank Loans			=400
Exceptional Incomes		===0

Maintenance, army			=102
Maintenance, navy			==37
Training and armament, army		===0
Training and armament, navy		===0
Colonisation				==24
Trade					==45
Innovation				=175
Public Entertainment			=169
Infrastructure				===0
Bank Loans				==14
Exceptional Expenses			=500 *Lavaeolus Recovery Fund*

Quickly bored, and in a hurry to get back to the troops, Orion orders the treasurer to hurry up.
"Yes, yes, not particularly interesting this, please hurry and get to the point."

"Ofcourse, what is most important is that in 1620 the mystery traders came with a great gift, estimated at 1500 gold ducats, which was largely spent on the great shipyard in Lebanon. right after this gift, expenses start to increase for the accomodation of one or more guests. These are, ofcourse, for the merchant that requested to stay until his "gift" would arrive. This expense continues untill January of 1621. With the Census taxes just in, the treasury should be full, ofcourse. However, late in January a new loan is taken at the bankers guild. All in all, the budget shows an unexplained deficit of 500 gold ducats, they are booked under Exceptional Expenses, but no further information is there.. This is ofcourse the price payed for the dagger, but unfortunately, the dagger is not mentioned."
"Very well, let's hope this, coupled with the investigation the Trojans will shortly be carrying out on the dagger, will finally convince them of our innocence. And now I have to return to the troops. Even if the Trojans, and hopefully the Gauls aswell, leave our country, their invasion has still caused an increase in Brigandry that I must take care of."

Friends and Enemies

The last few years had been rather surprising to Orion, while Midas, a mortal enemy in the early years, had become, if not a real friend yet, certainly a good neighbour. And a good neighbour is better than a far friend, as some say, and it proved especially true in this case. Hector, overcome by anger when he saw the dagger Orion had bought a few decades before, was not the only one to attack. No, Theseus, whom Orion considered a friend, had wasted the friendship on a foolish demand to have the temple of Hera in Daghestan abandoned, or worse. Ofcourse, Orion couldn't accept this demand, his people were free to worship who they wished.
Theseus, blinded by the losses Gaul suffered, that he blamed on Hera, was quick to launch an invasion. The war had been fairly succesful up until now, but Orion knew that settling the conflict, even after a few battles, would be better than letting the war rage for years, claiming hundreds of thousands of lives, Phoenician, Gaulish and Trojan.
Hector, it seemed, could still be convinced of Orion's innocence, although it might take some time. Theseus, however, seemed to be more stubborn, all he had in proof was the word of Hades. The word of an Olympian, certainly, but their words were seldom interpreted entirely correct. Even if he did, Hera was unlikely to have commited this act entirely without reason.

Orion was in a difficult position, but he had made his decision, for now. Almost all worshippers of Hera lived in Daghestan, where her Great Temple was, likely because of their Medean heritage. Orion would travel there, in secret, to meet with the High Priest of Hera, who also seemed the leader of the Medean community. Secrecy was certainly necessary, the Medeans were still a tight-knit community, and they insisted on secrecy, still fearing that Odysseus, and now Theseus, would come after them if they found out they had retained so much of their culture and religion. On the outside, only the Great Temple gave a small hint, and they wished it to remain that way. And so, Orion had made clear in his talks with advisors, merchants, diplomats, anyone he had met these last few days, that he would return to his army. It was true, he would return to his army, but he would travel farther afterwards...

Complete Darkness, Complete Silence, but Orion was still awake, it was almost time to depart for Daghestan. Someone silently entered the tent, Orion shielded his eyes to prevent loss of vision from looking into the watchfires. The tent closed again, but Orion knew the man was in his tent. It took some time to find him, but then he recognised it, that fiery glance, only Enkidu, whom Orion felt a kinship to that was almost like they were brothers*, had that glance.
"Enkidu, my friend, I trust you have not been seen?"
"Ofcourse not! I am no ordinary man, you should know that!" With that, he waved his hand, and he started to shimmer, and with a little hush he suddenly was totally invisible. Orion knew, ofcourse, how could he not? It had been his prayer, afterall, that convinced Zeus to bring Enkidu to this world, and only through his continued prayers to Zeus Enkidu still lived, far beyond the life of ordinary men. Yet he was impressed, he had not known Enkidu possesed powers like this.
"I see, well, except you, that is. Anyway, it is time to put our plan into action. I will leave shortly, I trust you know what to do?"
"Ofcourse," Orion almost jumped up as Enkidu's voice came from a different place than he had expected, "I tell the troops that you are slightly ill, and should not be disturbed for a few days. Meanwhile, I keep the camp where it is, and you travel to Daghestan."
"Indeed, hopefully I am back before you have to reveal that I have left camp, but if not, I trust that you will lead the army well enough."
A few small balls of fire flickered into existance, after which Enkidu appeared again, " I have a few tricks, if necessary, to keep our enemies wary, and away from our camp."
Orion silently snuck out of the tent, and when he was past the guards, he set in a steady run, taking giant steps towards Daghestan.

" Welcome to Media Minor, mylord." the High Priests' smile said the name was not meant offensively, yet not entirely a joke, either. And verily, when Orion entered into the underground caverns, apparently accessable from almost every house in the city, yet the entrance always hidden well, he entered into a bustling town that was so familiar, yet at the same time so foreign, that he couldn't help but agree with the name.
Orion smiled back at the High Priest, but then came straight to business- there was a war going on still, afterall - " You know why I am here? Theseus and his Gauls are rampaging the western coasts, even now sieging our fair capital. And for what? because Hera apparently caused a pestilence. As far as I can understand, they want to avenge their dead by killing as many Hera worshippers as they can."
"So you have come only to warn us, then?"
"I wish it were that simple, but no, although it is ofcourse part of why I am here. No, I have come here for two reasons. Firstly, I wish to present to you a choice, and secondly, I seek to pray to Hera in her Great Temple, as I am sure that will ease my decision on the matter of Theseus' mad quest."

"You are ofcourse welcome to pray to Hera in her Great Temple, no need to ask us, everyone may enter. Now as to this choice, what is it?"

"In essence, it comes down to this, thousands of Phoenician troops are dying, and likely at least as many civilians, and many more are suffering. Yet, they cannot see beyond this, they have not seen this splendid underground city they are in fact protecting, and their spirits are dropping. There have even been men dropping down their weapons refusing to die for such a minor thing as the statues in a Temple. Small minds, I know, yet if it spreads, it would spell disaster. I have thought of three options, yet if you have another solution, it is very welcome, ofcourse. The first would be that you, Medeans, openly show yourselves, and stop hiding. I respect your culture and habits, and I'm sure most Phoenicians would, too, if they knew you. If you, as Medeans, would fight by the side of all Phoenicians, I am sure that would lift their spirits, and their tollerance to your culture. Imagine, you could really be proud of your culture again, never again repressed, never again hiding, part of Phoenicia, one with Phoenicia, but different, two cultures, one country. The second would be openly denouncing your worship of Hera, hardly a choice, I know, yet it is what Theseus and the Gauls seem to want. The third would be to remain in hiding, and hope the other Phoenicians don't lose heart and abandon the defence."

"I will speak with the council, and give you our decision in two days. You are welcome to stay here, ofcourse, and to pray to Hera in the meantime."

"I thank you for your hospitality, and I look forward to meeting you again when you have reached a decision. And now, I shall head to the Great Temple to pray to Hera."

Orion placed a great Golden Peacock** and agreat Golden Cow*** in the Great Temple of Hera, then burned some incense, and started to pray.

"Great Hera, Queen of Olympia, I humbly ask you to accept this gift and hear my prayer.
Surely one so wise as you will know what happened in Gaul, and what happened to Theseus. Now, he is here in Phoenicia, killing innocent people in search of revenge against you. He claims you have wronged him, undoubtedly just an excuse to kill and loot, yet, it seems he will not stop until all your worshippers are dead, and all your temples burned. Abandoning your temples would undoubtedly save the lives of many of your worshippers, yet it is not a decision lightly taken. The Phoenicians are brave and strong, and they would likely be able to protect most of your temples, aswell, but at a great cost. There are several options I see before me, yet all have their repercussions, and therefore I have come here to ask for your guidance."

* Orion (Greek) and Enkidu(Sumerian) have a remarkably similar history [quoted] Orion and Enkidu each began as a shamanic Master of the Animals, surviving from the Neolithic hunt as the Ice Age waned. Like Orion, Enkidu was created by the Mother Goddess.
** Symbol of pride, one of Hera's sacred animals
*** Hera was also known as Bopis (cow-eyed), the cow is one of her sacred animals.

Horum omnium fortissimi non sunt Gallii

The coward had fled from Phoenicia even before the Medean volunteers had begun marching. True, he had angered Hera by attacking, but to turn tail like this and run like a coward, no true Hero would act like that, if you challenge the gods, you should be willing to face them. How could the Gauls live with such a man as their leader?

Orion knew he wasn’t the bravest of heroes, but to challenge the gods, and then run from men? He hadn’t even rejoined the army when Theseus fled across the border into Phrygia… There was little left to do but accept Theseus’ escape from justice. Justice for his unprovoked attack against Phoenicia, first and foremost, at least for Orion, but also justice for his acts against Hera, and the Pantheon in general.

Perhaps some other day, but it seemed unlikely.

The dagger

But Theseus’ cowardice ran deeper, it appeared.

Faced with the relentless Trojan attack, Orion quickly attempted to get in contact with Hector, whom he had considered a friend up until the attack. Even now he had trouble seeing him as an enemy. Hector was reluctant to believe that Orion was not behind the ancient murder mystery, but he agreed to call of the attack in exchange for Orion giving him the dagger for closer study. When news came from Troy that it had been Theseus, host of Hector at that time, was behind the attempt, much that had happened in recent years made a lot more sense. The sale of the dagger had not been a coincidence, and Trojan agents hearing of it so soon was easily explained if Theseus had set up the sale, and realised what Hectors response would be.

Clearly, Theseus had hoped to wrap up the last loose ends of the attempted murder by framing Orion, and he would gain a useful ally to hide behind when acting against the Medeans in Phoenicia.

Clever, but not clever enough. The plot was eventually unravelled by Trojan agents, but aside from a half-hearted apology from Theseus, the issue remains unsettled. Theseus, whom Orion had considered a friend for quite some time, had quickly shown himself to be a treacherous coward, not worthy of Phoenician friendship. But Gaul is far away from Phoenicia, so a punitive expedition is not likely either, but Orion would keep out a wary eye for Gaulish attempts to damage Phoenicia.

Troy

The dagger incident had certainly managed to damage Trojan-Phoenician relations, but as the true perpetrator was soon identified, the process of restoring the relations could soon commence. Of course, Orion would not trust Troy so much as he did before, and there would now be a more careful border guard to keep watch, but friendship was certainly still possible.

This friendship was certainly cemented when a cooperative campaign in Ithaca, the lands of Odysseus, met with so much success. Odysseus horrible betrayal against Hector was avenged, and some lands could be restored to Media.

Media

As a consequence of Theseus’ dastardly deeds, Media was now an autonomous region in Phoenicia. However, their lands were still greatly diminished from the original country that Odysseus had so ruthlessly destroyed. But now, with a strong alliance backing them up, the Medeans began to voice their wishes to unify once more their homeland.

The first steps were taking in the joint attack on Ithaca, Phoenician garrisons now guard two provinces that will soon be turned over to the Medians, and Hectors cooperation in this holds promise for a solution for the Medean lands that he has conquered from Odysseus over the years.

Phrygia

The vendetta of old seems really to have cooled down, for decades now has there been peace between Phrygia and Phoenicia, and only the escape of Theseus through Phrygian lands puts a small strain on relations. Barring divine intervention, a true friendship may well be in the making.

Lavaeolus was a fool.... A famous fool, but a fool nonetheless.

His voyages are famous, to be sure, but where is he to reap the benefits from this fame? Dead you say? Indeed, he died as a broken man, bereft of his memories. Some donated money for a cure, but they were few, some named a ship or some shipyard after him, but that is about all.

He was always the most ambitious of us all, and that is why he had so much trouble finding new crews, when I return from a voyage, the docks are filled with people wanting to know when I will depart again. Not because they want to be rid of me, no! , because they want to be a part of history. They want to be there when we finally dock at a harbour in the lands of these mysterious traders that continue to travel to and from Phoenicia.

... Sometimes he just couldn't resist. The Basrah docks were always filled with boys yelling that their father had been part of one of the crews of Lavaeolus - most probably just in their fantasy, most of the men here had never been farther than a few miles out of the shore.. Well, except those that had traveled with him, but it was hardly likely they would tell their sons they had travelled with Lavaeolus. The man he was talking to now seemed genuinly interested, but then again, so had the man so many years ago who had secretly swapped some of his maps with well known maps of coasts near Egypt.

That was, of course, why he did not, yet, give his true name to the sailor he was talking to now. There were a few captains here who ventured farther than most, but he went farthest of all, but the man needn't know, yet.
Oh, if the man proved trustworthy, his real name, Sileg Nav, would probably still send chills down his spine. Indeed, it was he who had led the first two great Phoenician expeditions on the Great Eastern Sea. He was too old, now, to travel once more, but he had hand-picked from his former crews those that showed greatest promise to lead the latest, and hopefully the last, expedition to find the lands of the Traders. Now, he needed just to find a few more sailors, and the expedition would be ready to sail.

He was an old man now, but should this expedition be succesful, as he was convinced it would be, he would be famous. Already had he found a great writer, who was even now writing his life story. For now, he knew little more of the work than the title, but it held great promise.
Isthmus, Patros, Taenarius, Into Eternity

he liked the name, and he was sure he would like the tale. He was an old man now, but he was sure he would be famous before he'd die, a great hero to the Phoenician people. Ofcourse not as great as Orion or Enkidu, but his name would be forever connected to this eastern passage, he would be the greatest mortal hero of Phoenicia.
Nearly thirty years after Lavaeolus' death, he would finally catch up with him, and overtake him!

[OOC: let's see who finds the reference(s) :) ]

Shipyards all along the coast of the Sea of Sileg were bustling with activity. Finally the news had arrived, if only at the cost of many brave Phoenician seamen. Only Taenarius had returned from the east; Finally there was a seaway to the lands of these mystery traders.
Sadly, in recent years, not only merchants from the east visited Phoenicia, but pirates aswell. Orion had instituted a coast guard in the Sea of Sileg, but he realised more had to be done to prevent these pirates from reaching Phoenicia and harassing fishermen and coastal villages. And so, with the war in the north over, most Phoenician activity was aimed for the east. A great fleet was being built, and troops were assembled in Basrah under the inspiring leadership of Enkidu.

Taenarius.GIF

In the year 1700, the fleet and army were finally ready. War had again broken out among the mystery traders, undoubtedly leading once more to an increase in piracy. But now, Phoenicia was prepared, and the fleet set sail. A few days before the new year, an impressive army under the leadership of Enkidu landed a days march from a large natural harbour in the lands of these mystery traders.

Orion, and Enkidu alike, hoped that the mystery traders would allow a Phoenician port to be established there. But alas, the messengers tasked with open the negotiations were greeted with spears and arrows. Enkidu then settled in for a long siege, for the fortifications of these traders mere massive.

Almost two years later, after a long siege, several failed attempts to force the gates, all foiled by the citizens, fighting like lions to keep out the Phoenicians, the fortress finally surrendered. All leadership had fled the city, and Enkidu and the Phoenicians were hailed as liberators by the same men that had fought them for neigh on two years. With no leadership present, Enkidu decided that this harbour would be the basis from which Phoenicia would hunt pirates before they could come close to the Phoenician coast.

Orion Harbour, the new name for the city, was not without worries though, the citizens had warned Enkidu of an unnamed threat in the east. With the message of success, then, Enkidu also sent a request for reinforcements.
With neigh on fifty thousand Phoenicians, and an additional garrison of twenty five thousand in the city itself. A fleet of over 50 ships patrolling the waters, Enkidu expected little trouble from this threat, yet he was worried still. Only time would tell what this threat, if any, was, and only time would tell if Orion harbour was prepared to meet it.