• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
comagoosie said:
Certainly not me :D

Anyways, Lope is my kind of man. He is almost like a hypocrite, forcing his adopted son to go to church but never going himself.

I hope Trey feels better, I would hate if his chronic headaches tell of an ominous future.

chronic headaches are terrible ! But you're right , it's ominous !

ColossusCrusher: Haha !

Stand by for an announcement !

FELLOWLOGO.gif

YEARBOOK ANNOUNCEMENT

Ladies and Gentlemen , it's once again time to usher in a new honouree today and have some mid-week festivities ! You know , some people have asked me before what kind of requirements we emphasize when choosing a new member for Tempus . I usually say to them that it is firstly a way to recognise individuals who have contributed significantly to alternate-history AARs or to AARland in general . But aside from that , I always tell them that I like to keep my eye out on the newer guys ; the younger guys of the forum . Those individuals who have contributed something without the benefit of notoriety or fame . These are the pioneers of AARland who tough it out and test the waters and bring their talents to the floor .

I suppose I connect with them because I felt the same way when I started out and although there were a lot of individuals who definitely helped me and welcomed me such as grayghost and stnylan among others . I wanted to spread this welcome out and make those who have achieved something be further recognised and have a support network to exchange ideas etc whom they can call fellows . To that end , today's inductee is yet another young rising star on the forum . Tonight I'd like to welcome TheHyphenated1 author of Weltkriegschaft .

TH1's AAR is a mixture of the best that HOI2 has to offer . A historical backbone that makes it a dream for any WW2 buff with the trimmings and depth of a maturing and expert narrative style . His AAR is consistently intriguing , interesting , and presents enough moral and psychological questions to keep one both entertained and contemplative . This amazing balance is brought on by TH1's calm and diligent approach . His attention to detail and his pictures augment his work and it is definitely a testament to his worthiness to be recognised as a Fellow !

As someone who's known TH1 for a while , aside from the fact that he's so hard to get a hold of sometimes , he's also a young man invested in AARland . He is a young man who exudes energy and virtue which makes him not only a great person to work with such as with the AARlander but also presents a beacon and example for his colleagues in HOI2 . Thank you for your great work and welcome to Tempus !

Thank you to canonized, English Patriot and all the other members of the Tempus Society! It’s certainly an honor to be a Fellow in such an organization as this. Alternate history is a great love of mine, and so it’s only natural for me to gravitate toward this fine group of AARlanders who celebrate, advance and promote the genre.

The breadth and quality of work generated by the Fellows is simply breathtaking, and those works that I have read have furthered my own appreciation for alternate history and shaped my vision for writing it. Atlantic Friend’s Crossfires and DerKaiser’s The Golden Nation are the first to come to mind, but there are many, many others.

My AAR, Weltkriegschaft, is (according to the introduction I typed on my very first day on the forums) an “in-depth speculative history”. Specifically, New Year’s Eve 1935 sees a dramatic event which creates ripples of consequences that alter the course of history as we know it.

“How will history be different?” This is the question that every sentence in Weltkriegschaft plays a part in answering.

I strive in my writing to achieve the greatest possible degree of plausibility. This can extend from researching when certain weapons were invented to studying the popular culture that the characters would have been exposed to. Even the little things -- like the changing of the seasons and the latest news from Wall Street -- all contribute to the feeling that the world of Weltkriegschaft is real, and not just a convenient literary backdrop for the story I happen to be telling.

Weltkriegschaft is presented in a narrative style. Readers experience the story through the eyes of characters -- with their own wants and fears, and a living, breathing world around them. Yet I do not see my writing as primarily literary in nature. This is because I do not have a luxury that most writers of fiction have -- crafting the events of the plot to form the most dramatic or satisfying story. Instead, I look at my role as more of a historian. Because Weltkriegschaft is based on a historical simulation (my game of HoI2), I am bound to the results it gives me.

From these results I created records -- by the taking of extensive game notes and obsessive-compulsive generation of new savegames (several gigabytes for Weltkriegschat’s game alone). I then wrote the specifics of the history -- in a format similar to a history book AAR. In writing the actual installments, I draw upon this history in much as one would draw upon real history writing a dramatized account of D-Day.

I always find excitement in this extra level of challenge. Several times, the game engine threw real curveballs at me -- and I found myself scrambling to justify in narrative terms the events played out in the game.

In closing, then, I’ll share an anecdote that serves to sum up my approach to alternate history AAR-writing.

Several months into my game, I noticed that a British carrier based in the Far East had sustained some inexplicable damage. I scoured my save files for some sign whatever fate befell the unfortunate vessel. The UK was not at war with anyone, no battles were recorded, and I managed to determine when the damage occurred to within two hours. Could I have just ignored this result? Yes. But that felt to me like somehow getting off easy. Something had happened and I needed to justify it. As my next update revealed, German agents had orchestrated an attack of sorts. Since such an action is out of the known scope of the game engine, I reasoned, such an event was within the acceptable leeway I had in telling the story. Some of my readers had a hard time grasping why I was trying to “cover up” for the game engine. “I do my best,” I explained to one, “to make an obviously limited representation look good, competent and comprehensive.”

Broadly, this is the calling of writers of alternate history in AARland. We make the game engine look good, competent and comprehensive, and in so doing create plausible and compelling histories to rival our own.

Thank you all again.

Congratulation TH1, I already thought you were a member! No matter, congratulations, this is deserved :)

Ahh, and I desperatly want to continue where I left off, chapter 13, I believe, your AAR is top notch!
canonized said:
My teacher says this isn't a word, therefore my essay will get marked down :rofl:

comagoosie said:
Congratulation TH1, I already thought you were a member! No matter, congratulations, this is deserved :)

Ahh, and I desperatly want to continue where I left off, chapter 13, I believe, your AAR is top notch!

My teacher says this isn't a word, therefore my essay will get marked down :rofl:

ROFL your teacher ... gosh ... and people ask me why the american school system is failing =P

Matthijs is falling in love; little innocent Matthijs being swept off his feet by a Russian princess? Where can we sign up? :p

How often do Russians take a shower? /obligatory joke

I think the poem is from Raul, what with him having this troubled past and having to be pulled out by his friends.

also congrats to t-h-1 :)

In Soviet Russia, showers take you! :eek:

This little princess does look like a hygiene maniac though :D

An interesting update as always. Dutch revolt moving along, a good psychological look into the mind of a conflicted soldier, headaches, and-

*spontaneously starts singing "Katyusha"*

...Sorry, that happens anytime I hear about a Russian named some variation on Yekaterina. :p As I was about to say, a beautiful Russian woman for one of our (in-story, unfortunately for our Dutch readers) Dutch friends.

robou said:
Matthijs is falling in love; little innocent Matthijs being swept off his feet by a Russian princess? Where can we sign up? :p

Haha well let's not get ahead of ourselves XD They just met !

Avernite: Perhaps ! Did you pick up on the secret revelation ? XD

Grubnessul: Haha , the lady in white . I wonder what it could mean XD

Judas Maccabeus: ROFL all I thought of when you said that were rocket launchers XD

Hmm knowing you a bit, the lady in white would be some kind of Maria avatar or something like that. Or just a pretty girl in a white dress... just a random detail to make us look in the wrong direction.

AlexanderPrimus said:
My my, the new season has only just begun, and there is already such strong chemistry between your characters. :D

Keep it up, C. Great work!

Thank you , sir XD

Grubnessul: Haha , perhaps . I like the girls in Timelines to be fiesty and not stuffy or heavy handed though so that's something that's going for you XD

Working on an update tonight before the Starcraft/Warcraft LAN party tonight XD

Chapter 15 Summary: The Guardian

Davout's Salient facts said:
Chapter 15 The Guardian (aka The Observer on Sundays)

Then time: Jakob de Witt treats the young boy. Sweet reports the attackers were from Yakuza based just across the border in Japanese teritory. Antonio decides to conduct an extraterritorial rendition. The Chinese eminence, Ming, and the Japanese eminence are at the bandit baron's lair. They are allied against the Spanish and Ming indicates that he has a cunning plan for Antonio whom Ming knows will come. Meanwhile beneath Mecca, Renault de Fronsac faces Mithra the flamethrower (who is really an old prop from Dr No). Renault circles the guardian and finds that Mithra is a machine, not a god (Machina non Deus) and eliminates it with extreme prejudice. renault runs into the real Guardians and is in mortal danger, again.

Now time: The Duke shows Fr Francis an anachronism in the chamber below Mecca before the ground shakes. Tom is watching an old movie in North Carolina when he also feels earth tremours. A news report states that tremours have been felt all over the planet and speculates it may be the work of a terrorist group, the Ming Clique.

Game concepts: The first sense that the Empire is fundamentally evil. We cheer for Antonio and crew because they are the protagonists and seem heroic. They appear to right wrongs and wear the white hats, but you begin to see that their sense of moral righteousness has placed them above the law. I find this an interesting contrast when we consider the motivations of the more amoral, less hasty Brazilian beauty who will appear soon. The things the Spanish do are morally right merely because they do them and whilst the others (say the Persians) are wrong because they are not Spanish. When reading this chapter again, I really get the feeling of Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers.

Post modern in game jokes: Scooby Doo (meddlesome kids), Seinfeld ( independant George and Master of the Domain) and a possible Firefly reference (SERENITY NOW).
Shower scenes: pfff. You wish.

Chapter XV said:
“Have Grubby prepare some horses. We’ll ride in an hour when the sun goes down,” Antonio instructed the younger man.

“Sir,” Sweet began, his half sleepy eyes met his masters’, “they’re on the other side of the border—”

“I know. But they committed a crime in Spanish territory. They will face Spanish justice.”

October 27 1582

Scene 1: Jakob is treating the young boy that was beat up by the men along the road. He is helped by Dr. Ginzo and Dr. Garcia who represent the expertise of eastern and western medicine respectively. Antonio learns from Sweet that the men who attacked the boy were from a local Yakuza group (Japanese feudal mafia that persists to this day) just inside the Japanese border. They decide to enact retribution. Jakob informs them that the boy will make it.

Scene 2: The Oedo family is the Yakuza gang who owns a compound ten miles from Osaka. There are screams from the compound as the doctors there treat the henchmen who were beaten back by Antonio and his friends. One has to have a bullet with the initials of Jakob extracted from him. The survivors beg mercy from their master and blame their failure on meddling kids. The Boss punishes the henchmen while a voice begins to tell him to prepare as “the young Duke” and his friends will come. It is revealed that there are two individuals instructing the Oedo family: Master Ming and Ginji-kun both are diplomatic labels for the handlers of the Chinese and Japanese Silent Rooms respectively (or so its insinuated). It is revealed that the Ginji-kun of the Japanese Silent Room is none other than Mori Ranmaru scarred from the fire at Honnoji.

Scene 3: Renault is faced with a gigantic flaming avatar who identifies himself as Mithra, guardian of the maze and God of Fire. He shoots volleys of fire at Renault. Renault begins to run around the gigantic monstrosity in an effort to glean at what’s behind it. After running faster than it can turn, he notices how there are operators operating some kind of fuel through elaborate pipes to simulate the “Guardian.” Renault places his sword in a brazier on his circuit around and then re-acquires it after making a lap. He throws his sword at the bag of fuel and the super-heated sword ignites the contraption and the people behind it. He runs from the chamber as the machine explodes only to find himself face-to-sword with the real guardians of the place.

Interlude

Scene 1: Father Xavier and Duke Jimenes are inspecting the ruins of the underground complex underneath Mecca. Father Xavier says how his historical studies were on Great War factions and not on ancient ruins. The priest finds something on the floor that immediately catches his attention. Duke Jimenes says that it’s as old as the ruins around him and Father Xavier says that that is impossible. They suddenly feel an earthquake.

Scene 2: Tom is in the safehouse switching through channels. He chafed at how it’s been several days since the guardians took them into custody. Rodrigo was apparently enjoying the beachfront and regularly getting tans in between sessions of Hispania Universalis II with the WATK conversion mod. He comes upon a classic black and white movie about the 17th century libertine Jorge Menendez who was hanged for selling information to the Persians about the troops heading to Astrakhan. The actor on the screen says how “You’re killing Independent Jorge, You know that, don’t you?!” while the magister in charge of executing him justifies his actions and calls for “SERENITY NOW!” The scene is interrupted by a news alert saying how there’s been massive shockwaves just a few moments ago which originated from the Izu district in Japan.

Rodrigo shuffles inside the room with his glistening bronze ocean soaked body still dripping on the carpet and asks what happened. Tom doesn’t respond as the news report continues saying how this may have something to do with the raid on the Nuclear Power plant and Astrophysics lab in Osaka. They say that it’s connected to the Ming Clique, a terrorist faction.

Chapter 16 Summary: Legacy of Ming (coming soon)

Last edited:
nice to remember... those chapters are really long ago...

Grubnessul said:
nice to remember... those chapters are really long ago...

It was a jolly ole time indeed XD

Indeed :D

So where's our update? We want more blonde Russian Princesses!

Grubnessul said:
Indeed :D

So where's our update? We want more blonde Russian Princesses!

ROFL I got held back by the LAN party XD So working on it more tomorrow . As for tonight , time to brainstorm !