• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
“In fact, we have reports of a battle in Telemark where Karloman Blå, the Butcher of Bergslagen, cut down some four thousand Breton troops while losing some four hundred of his own. And Breton troops outnumbered those damned Ynglings before that battle.”

I think you exaggerate. Our casualties were at least six hundred. :D

War of Barbarian Aggression

Preparations for battle

December
North Cumberland

Robert de Lusignan, Duke of Argyll was looking how his armies prepared to attack the barbarian forces in Smithsonian Forrest in North Cumberland. He knew that his forces were less in number against Norwegian armies but their knowledge of the hills and forrest of Britannia was better. Robert had called his oldest son Robert II de Lusignan from Breton proper to lead the armies of Scotland and Ireland. Knowing that the Breton armies in south had retreated from York and Lincoln along with other provinces his preasure to successeed were more greater than ever.
RdeLusi.jpg

High-General Robert II de Lusignan walked amongst his men encouragin them to give their best. "Sir" One man said. "General" said the other and other also greeted Robert II when he walked trough the lines.
"Still nothing?" Robert II asked from his second in command.
"Not a sign" Alphonso said.
"How long has he been gone?" Robert asked.
"Nearly two hours" Alphonso answered. "Will they fight sir?" he asked.
"We will know soon enough" General Robert said.
"Soldier!" Alphonso yelled to a man near the catapults "Move those catapults forward they are out of range" He continued.
"Range is good" Robert said.
"The danger that the cavalry.."Alphonso didn't get to finish as he was interupted by Robert.
"Is acceptable" Robert said to Alphonso.
Some odd shouting echoed from the forrest.
RdeLusi2.jpg

Brown horse galloped from the forrest with a rider without a head.
"They say no" Robert said calmly. The horse gallooped trough the field towards the Scottish lines where it was stopped by few soldiers.
A bearded barbarian walked out of the woods on to a little mound, he was holding an axe in the other hand and head of the messenger in the other.
"Regnboginn er marglitr!!!!" He yelled while he threw the head in the air. Thousands of barbarians ran from the forrest and formed behind him.
"People should know when they are defeated" Alphonso said.
The barbarians yelled and shouted.
norvik.jpg

Chapter 19[URLx=http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8312724&postcount=382]War of Barbarian Aggression, Part 1[/URL] - Emperor Ike

Last edited:
War of Barbarian Aggression

The Battle

December
North Cumberland

Robert II knew that the time had come and he mounted his horse.
"At my signal, unleash hell" Robert II said to Alphonso.
"Load the catapults" Alphonso ordered. "Infantry ready to advance" he continued. Infantry started to move in the front row.
"Archers ready!" Alphonso said. Men in each archer lines ran in front of the lines igneiting the oil in front of them.
Robert II de Lusignan rode trough the forest to regroup with his cavalry unit.

"Are you ready?" Robert II asked from his men. "Aye" they yelled.
"Three weeks from now i will be harvesting my crops in Catalonia" He said. "Imagine where you will be and it will be so" Robert continued. "Hold the line, stay with me" He said. "If you find your self alone, dancing in green fields with women" Robert said and looked trough his men. "Don't be troubled for you are in Heaven and you are all ready dead!" He shouted. The men bursted in laughter. "What we do in life echoes in eternity" Robert II said.
Rde2cav.jpg

"So brace yourself" Robert II said. He then noded to an archer who shot an fire arrow to the sky as an mark to Alphonso.
"That is the signal!" Alphonso yelled.
"Archers ignite!" Archer leader yelled.
All the archers ignited their arrows in the burning oil.
"Archers draw!" Leader yelled.
mark.jpg

Alphonso gave the order for catapults to fire. As the catapults fired upon the Barbarians so did the archers. Hundreds of flaming arrows flew accross the sky along with rocks and burning barrels full of oil. As the barrels hit the trees they unleashed huge flames burning barbarians and causing chaos. After the archers had fired their flame arrows the scottish infantry started marching towards the still standing enemy. Robert II was riding trough the forrest with his cavalry towards the rear of the enemy. "Hold the line!" He yelled. As they got closer they were almost hit by an flaming jar. The Barbarian archers fired upon the closing scots men killing some of them. After that the infantry ran to fight them in close combat. "Breton Victor!" Robert II yelled while his cavalry attacked the barbarians from behind.

The Barbarians were in panic they were attacked from bothed sides and they had lost men in the catapult attacks. Robert rode trough the enemies killing as many as he could but one barbarian threw an spear on to his horse. The horse fell to the ground and so did Robert. As he laid in the groung he was attacked by the same barbarian who had killed his horse. He managed to stab this barbarian but was immidietly attacked again. He stabed the attacker, threwing him on the ground and standing up to help his men to defeat this enemy. The barbarian leader was killed by the scottish troops that had surrounded him, one by one they stabed the leader. Seeing their leader got killed the barbarians paniced even more. Some of them fled from the battle to regroup later but some of them staid and fought, they were eventually.
"Breton Victor!" Robert II de Lusignan yelled after they had defeated the barbarians.
Rdec2vic.jpg

Chapter 19[URLx=http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8313541&postcount=383]War of Barbarian Aggression, part 2[/URL] -Emperor Ike

Last edited:
The Prophetei Enter Rome.

Andronikos Diogenes sat in his chambers, gazing at the stars, as he usually does after a particularly turbulent day. He had ruled the last surviving piece of the Roman Empire for almost 2 decades now, and all those long years he had been ignorant of his heritage. Andronikos, and many of the Diogenes’ Family, were Prophetei.

Angel-Speakers, Men who were given the ability to converse with an Angel of Georgian Lore, Prophetei. It began with Isaakios Diogenes. Though he was never named Emperor, he was celebrated as a Hero of Rome, a patriarch of Constantinople, for his Heroism at the Battle of Kaliopolis in the First Byzantine Civil War. Isaakios came from a large family of 11 siblings, 5 Brothers and 6 Sisters. Notable among them were Manual Diogenes, the Emperor who united Byzantium, and subsequently fought more Civil Wars than any other Emperor. Konstantinos Diogenes, another Roman Hero considered a Patriarch of Constantinople and most celebrated Strategist in Roman History since Flavius Belisarius, was Isaakios younger brother. And Sophia Diogenes, the last of the large family of siblings to die, leaving this large generation of Diogenes extinct.

Isaakios was a Pious man, once serving as the Empire’s Diocese Bishop. He married Hourig Gardman-Aghbania, whose own mother was Latavri Bagratuni, a Prophetei. Andronikos’ Father was former Roman Emperor Thomas Diogenes, whose father was Isaakios, and mother was Hourig. Thus, Andronikos and all begotten of Isaakios and Hourig were Prophetei by blood, and they had begotten many Diogenes.

Andronikos had not realized the connection between his family and the Prophets of Georgia until the death of the Georgian King, Afsin Seljuk. Afsin was given the throne when his Liege, Adarnese Bagratuni was killed. Soon after that, Afsin himself met his demise, and the strongest vassal Georgia had to offer became the new King of the Middle East, and that man was Alexios Diogenes.

Alexios Diogenes was formerly the Marshall of Rome; having taken the position after Konstantinos Diogenes met the only enemy he couldn’t best, Old Age. After the War of Rus, Alexios left renounced his Rank and was given Land in the Large Kingdom of Georgia.

Alexios was the Son of Petros Diogenes, and Petros Diogenes was the son of Isaakios, and brother of Thomas Diogenes. Thus, Alexios and Andronikos are cousins.

Andronikos was distressed at first at how his Cousin became one of the most powerful Rulers in the Known World. What was even more distressing was the fact that Andronikos and his family had sacred Georgian blood in them. How was The Emperor of the Romans going to handle this fact?
At first, it wasn’t so well. However, in time, Andronikos came to remember an old Proverb his Uncle Konstantinos used to tell him, back in the time when Konstantinos taught Andronikos the Arts of Combat. “Every Man has a weakness, and every man as a shortcoming. The thing that makes a man Invincible in Combat is the creative ability to turn your disadvantages into advantages, your weaknesses into strengths.”

Andronikos then knew what to do. His position as a Prophetei gave him more influence, more respect among Georgian Rulers. Especially now since his own Cousin was the King of Georgia.

When Alexios became King of the Georgians, a handful of Roman provinces left with him. The Principality of Achaea was one of them. Though not as strong as it used to be (and thus not as dangerous) Achaea was still a valuable part of the Empire. Andronikos planned to use his newfound “Influence” to do two things: Reunite his Byzantine Provinces, and restore his devastated Court with skilled Politicians, as since the war, Roman Politicians have found new land to claim for themselves thanks to the Deaths of many Leaders and Soldiers in Rus.

And so Andronikos slept soundly, knowing that there could be advantages to speaking with Angels.

OOC:

Didn't have much to write as I was absent most of this session. Quite a pathetic little chapter, but meh.

For my Reward I'd like the following Advisors:

Doroteja Vojislavljevic. Steward in the County of Abydos.

Niketas Palaeologus. Marshall in the Principality of Nicea.

Maria Diogenes. Chancellor in the County of Athenei.

Anastasios Keroularious. Courtier in the County of Amisos.

Sulvan Vojislavljevic. Marshall in the Bishopric of Chalkidike.

A request for clarification: Just what is the current membership of the Roman Commonwealth? In the original treaty there is mention of 'Rome', but it is not clear whether this refers to the actual possessor of Rome, namely the Kingdom of Italy, or the successor state to Rome, better known as the Byzantine Empire.

A further question: How are the provisions of the Commonwealth, such as the non-aggression pact, enforced? It does seem that the Commonwealth has no divisions outside of those possessed by the member states.

King of Men said:
A request for clarification: Just what is the current membership of the Roman Commonwealth? In the original treaty there is mention of 'Rome', but it is not clear whether this refers to the actual possessor of Rome, namely the Kingdom of Italy, or the successor state to Rome, better known as the Byzantine Empire.

A further question: How are the provisions of the Commonwealth, such as the non-aggression pact, enforced? It does seem that the Commonwealth has no divisions outside of those possessed by the member states.

The current Roster of the Roman Commonwealth, as far as I was last informed are:

Fasquardon, Caeser of Georgia/Seljuks.
Sid Meier, Caeser of Rus.
Ulmont, Caeser of Valencia.
Cuthuthulu, Caeser of Serbia (He said he has decided to stay in the Commonwealth until Lurken takes control of Serbia, then I presume he is leaving)
And Myself, Caeser of Nova Roma (or Byzantium, if you prefer.)

Varyar is not part of the commonwealth, I refer to the Byzantine Empire as the Roman Empire, as the Diogenes see themselves as rulers of the last piece of Rome (much like the Historical Byzantines)

Most Commonly, the Good will of each respective Caeser is what we count on to enforce our Provisions, Though Ulmont has suggested a Life-Binding Contract to the ruler who joins the commonwealth. For instance, Frédéric de Cornouaille joined Brittany into the Roman Commonwealth, and thusforth is bound to stay until Frédéric dies. If the rules are not followed, I'd suspect the Georgian/Seljuk (I don't know which fasq prefers to use) War Machine is our best enforcing measure we have.

Eird said:
Ulmont has suggested a Life-Binding Contract to the ruler who joins the commonwealth.
More accurately, I stated that Brittany was committing at least for the lifetime of Frédéric. That's Frédéric's personal commitment, not anything enforceable in a way other than Frédéric's word. Frédéric's word is, of course, golden.

I agree that fear of displeased Seljuks is the current enforcement mechanism.

ulmont said:
More accurately, I stated that Brittany was committing at least for the lifetime of Frédéric. That's Frédéric's personal commitment, not anything enforceable in a way other than Frédéric's word. Frédéric's word is, of course, golden.

When we voted on letting you in, we also voted on making that rule a general one. It passed unanimously.

Of course, Serbia wasn't represented, but that was Serbia's fault for making us already think she'd left.

And unless I explicitly say "city of Rome" when talking in-character, it's a fair bet that I'm speaking of the Roman Empire when I talk about Rome or Romans. The Italians, being a bunch of German barbarians, don't count.

fasquardon

fasquardon said:
When we voted on letting you in, we also voted on making that rule a general one. It passed unanimously.
Good on the RC, or perhaps its previous Caesars and especially the Caesar Augustus, for promoting communication between its members, then.
fasquardon said:
The Italians, being a bunch of German barbarians, don't count.
Well, naturally.

ulmont said:
Good on the RC, or perhaps its previous Caesars and especially the Caesar Augustus, for promoting communication between its members, then.Well, naturally.

Sorry I didn't make the Life-Binding Issue clear Ulmont, I was getting around to PMing everyone and maybe posting a second RC thread to state/explain some changes, but I've been swamped lately :(

I seriously laughed at that :D

fasquardon said:
Surely you mean Germanic. And I like to think us Italians are the best from the melting pot of Germanics and Latins :D

A Long journey to home (Part II): Moscow nigths

Excerpts from letter send by Captain of the King of Georgian household guard to a collegue in Moscow late in the year of 1200 :

“Greetings in the name of god and by the blessing of one true-believer to another. Amidst of the more sadder events that has been occurred in here while your great-cousin reigned, we have come to aware of rather odd incidentals.
According to best evidence we have come across, a certain resident of our city jail, brought here surprisingly from Constantinople – from the very last steps of the gallows’ pole, a chudian (or other pagan tribe-member from north) is in fact part of your court. Or more properly from your vassals, the newly reformed prince of Novgorod’s court.
Therefore we would like to request that you would give asylum for him in the spirit of good relations of both great capitols of our splendid realms…”

*****​

When the old man was layed front of Ivan Ivanovits, The captain of Moscow’s city guard public healt-inspection unit, pity filled his mind. Was he not almost 100 years old, wary and deflated – a wreck of a man?
“Easy my friend, there is no rush. You can rest here in our city’s mayors guest before the last leg of your trip to north.”
The old man looked mercifully to Ivan’s eyes and the fundamental error that he had just made – he saw it not.
“Is there anything else we could do for you?”
The old man looked with odd shine in his looks.
“Is Moscow still famous of its lucid vodka and strong men enough to keep pace with the Chudian of Novgorod?”
Innocently Ivan smiled as what he heard was a spark of life litting in old soul, not the doom of his motherland...

******​

Send the pagan to slay pagan, they say…or at least Gollevainen said to himself when he rode to the North to inspect the fronts in far reaches of Nenetsnenia. The Principality of the Samoyedians and the two counties had broke away from the Realm, but instead of going into their usual way of their own, this time the Variags had managed to get their nasty species in the place of the prince.
There was no joy in Gollevainen’s heart. The priests of the cross-people raged in their mirthy exitment when the wooden god sculptures were burned and captivities baptized. Did he had commitments to his believes? Defend the faith of the forrest? He saw no trees, but tundra and plains. Spirits of the reindeer’s weren’t happy with someone who held bear head atop his shoulders.

“Your highness, there’s a peace deal to be singed with the Prince of Karelia.” Someone said and laid a letter front of Gollevainen. He looked the address: Essex… and boy did that bring memories into his mind…Should he sing it not and seek stepping stone in that windy island again?

…A toad! A toad!...

Perhaps not.

*****​

April 1205

"...Behold my friend Gollevainen. Thou shall go to war if needed and gain land from the Variags, in help of our Prussian neighbors…"

The words might be mirk in Gollevainen’s mind, but the meaning of his latest revelation was clear: There will be war…
But was it, go to war against our Prussian neighbors for Variag cause to claim land from the variags? …hmm sounded peculiar, but nevertheless, not impossible…nothing is impossible for Gollevainen, the behind-throne-advisor of the Tsar of All Rus…It should be fullfillble…

Reward: Increase the wealth level in Novgorod.

The Treaty of Mesembria.

My Liege, Emperor Andronikos Diogenes, Administers this Treaty to his fellow Caesars, Nikitas Rurikovich and Alexios Diogenes, as a request of generosity to the Roman People. Because of complications over years of War and hardship, the Remnant of the Roman Empire has lost a number of its former provinces to your respective Rule. Should you most gracious Rulers have the spirit of our most holy Lord within you, My liege asks that you sign this treaty for his sake, and the sake of Rome.

The Treaty of Mesembria, drafted by the Emperor, written by the scribes of Rome and directed by the Hand of God, states as thus:

From our Blood related ally, Alexios Diogenes, Caesar of the Seljuk Empire; we ask that the Provinces of Chaldea, Tanya, Kaisereia, Methone, Achaia and Monemvasia be returned to the Lordship of Andronikos Diogenes.

From our Ally in the North, Nikitas Rurikovich, Caesar of Rus, who Roman Legions spent their sweat and blood to defend in War, we ask only the lone province of Constantia to be returned to the Lordship of Andronikos Diogenes.

The Lord of Constantinople shall take all Financial Matters regarding the Transaction of Lands as his own responsibility.

My Liege sends his Regards, and wishes health and prosperity to your people. May God’s Hand be on you whilst you lead your Nations.

(Seal of Emperor Andronikos Diogenes, Caesar of Nova Roma, as represented by Anna Petraliphas, Chancellor of Rome.)

OOC Translation:

From Seljuks: Chaldea, Tanya, Kaisereia, Methone, Achaia and Monemvasia to be returned to Byzantium.
From Rus: Constantia to be returned to Byzantium.
FoCoG paid by Byzantium.

Treaty of Cairo​

Know Ye All Men By What Follows

That the counties of: _________(all counties belonging to the Duke titles specified below)__________,

the Dukes of __Cyrenaica, Tripolitania, Tunis, and Constantine__,

and the titles King of __________Africa__________

are hereby confirmed as _____Italian_____ possessions, now and forever, for the Kings of _____Italy_____ to rule and defend with the strength and wisdom granted them by Our Lord Jesus Christ.

That the counties of: __Nubia, Sudan, Gizeh, Quenya, Asyut, Aswan, Sarqihya, and Cairo__,

the titles Duke of __________Aswan and Cairo__________,

and the titles King of __________Egypt (the green one without province ties)__________

are hereby confirmed as _____Arabian_____ possessions, now and forever, for the Kings of _____Arabia_____ to rule and defend with the strength and wisdom granted them by Our Lord Jesus Christ.

Furthermore, Arabia shall immediately receive 10 000 florins from the Italian treasury, and hold claims to another 40 000 florins to be requested when needed.

All costs for this to be payed by Italy.

Let it be so.

[Seal of Agostino II, King of Italy]

The outline of this document was provided by the splendid Chancellor's Office of the Kingdom of Brittany

Eird said:
OOC Translation:

From Seljuks: Chaldea, Tanya, Kaisereia, Methone, Achaia and Monemvasia to be returned to Byzantium.
FoCoG paid by Byzantium.

I Nikita Rurikovich the first accept this treaty.

Eird said:
OOC Translation:

FoCoG paid by Byzantium.

The Seljuk Empire approves of this treaty.

fasquardon

Varyar said:
Treaty of Cairo​

Know Ye All Men By What Follows

That the counties of: _________(all counties belonging to the Duke titles specified below)__________,

the Dukes of __Cyrenaica, Tripolitania, Tunis, and Constantine__,

and the titles King of __________Africa__________

are hereby confirmed as _____Italian_____ possessions, now and forever, for the Kings of _____Italy_____ to rule and defend with the strength and wisdom granted them by Our Lord Jesus Christ.

That the counties of: __Nubia, Sudan, Gizeh, Quenya, Asyut, Aswan, Sarqihya, and Cairo__,

the titles Duke of __________Aswan and Cairo__________,

and the titles King of __________Egypt (the green one without province ties)__________

are hereby confirmed as _____Arabian_____ possessions, now and forever, for the Kings of _____Arabia_____ to rule and defend with the strength and wisdom granted them by Our Lord Jesus Christ.

Furthermore, Arabia shall immediately receive 10 000 florins from the Italian treasury, and hold claims to another 40 000 florins to be requested when needed.

All costs for this to be payed by Italy.

Let it be so.

[Seal of Agostino II, King of Italy]

The outline of this document was provided by the splendid Chancellor's Office of the Kingdom of Brittany

I Mauger II King of Arabia,Jerusalem and Protector of the Holy Sepulcher place my seal upon this treaty [Seal of Arabia]

Although the Norwegian Realm does not recognise the illegal Prussian occupation of Denmark, we find it necessary to temporarily acknowledge certain administrative conveniences. Therefore, the Count of Fyn, with his provinces of Fyn, Slesvig, and Bornholm, is to transfer his allegiance to the King of Prussia; in exchange, the provinces of Medelpad, Åland, and Östergotland are to be returned to Norwegian sovereignty. In addition, the provinces of Onega and Karelen are to be turned over to the Czar of Russia, who acknowledges his duty to return Karelen if and when he should be able to assert his claim over Vodi.

OOC: Karelen and Onega are 393 and 411; the rest are already done. Carillon has paid for the whole thing.

Eird said:
OOC Translation:

FoCoG paid by Byzantium.
It offends the Caesar of Valencia to note that the Ceasar Augustus of (Nova) Rome, the "Ceasar" of Rus, and the Ceasar of the Seljuks did such a treaty and left Paphlagonia a disconnected island of Seljuk land inside of Byzantium.