• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mr_B0narpte

Field Marshal
12 Badges
Mar 15, 2009
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Darkest Hour
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Pride of Nations
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
Hey all! Copied this from the main AoD thread and plan to write the rest of this AAR here, enjoy!

Wanted to share the ongoing online campaign I'm involved in, playing as Japan using the Improved 1936 mod and playing with:-

Viper - USA
Jarski - UK
Desev & Doshite, alongside Jarski and Liberty as a subs - USSR
Liberty - China
El Duck - Germany
Evil Overlord - Italy
Me & Stevep - Japan

We play it very historically, ensuring no war in Europe until 30 August 1939 (except for the Italian invasion of Albania), and the only major war beforehand being the Second Sino-Japanese war.

Major decisions so far being the USSR went ahead with the purge, and Germany has peacefully taken Austria, Czech lands - Slovakia given to now Axis Hungary, & Memel.

A quick coverage is that I've been banging my head against a brick wall against Liberty's very solid China! Several times I was painstakingly close to taking Chongqing, but the endless Chinese divisions eventually won out every time. As I could not agree a non-aggression pact with the USSR player(s), I only really had until mid-1939 to achieve a decisive victory, which did not come about. My bombing of Chongqing weakened China, and it gained 20+ dissent as it ordered many units to fight to the death in order to send reinforcements to critical areas throughout 1937-39, always in the nick of time!

My intel suggested China had around 270 infantry & militia divisions in mid 1937, this rose to over 400-500 by mid-1938!!! Mine & Steve's poor Japanese army never stood a chance... but there's still plenty of fight left in them, and we anticipated a Soviet attack on my flanks on 30 August 1939. The story of which to follow...

Pictures below show the progression of the Sino-Japanese war, both in terms of the frontline and losses on all sides (alongside all other conflicts).

AAR1-front.png

AAR11-1st-Chong.png

aar12-2nd-chongqing.png

AAR13-bloody-battle.png

aar14-3rd-Chongqing.png

AAR2-Inf-Losses-1937.png

AAR3-LOSSES-1937.png

AAR4-INF-LOSSES-END-OF-1937.png

AAR5-LOSSES-END-OF-1937.png

AAR6-INF-LOSSES-1938.png

AAR7-LOSSES-1938.png

AAR8-INF-LOSSES-1939.png

AAR9-LOSSES-1939.png

aar15-battles.png

Questions, comments, criticisms, & reactions all welcome :D

Chapter 1 - Time for turtling!

It was the summer of 1939 in which the Japanese Imperial War Council convened. Having lost 364,326 men in China for little gain, Japan simply had to lick their wounds and make the most of the terrible situation they had put themselves in. Having not been able to negotiate a non-aggression pact with the USSR, they found themselves in a very precarious position.

Chief of the Army, Sugiyama Hajime, presented a plan with the aim of holding onto what was left of Japan's holdings in mainland Asia, forming a defensive-line that made best use of the terrain in Northern China and Manchukuo. Entitled Plan Z, it stretched from the mountains in Korea to the marshes in Yucheng.

Plan-Z.png

The War Council approved it unanimously, but also despairingly. Just a few years ago, it was the prominent and ever rising power in Asia, now it was clinging onto the remnants of its empire after being embarrassed time and again by Chinese forces.

Soon after the plan was approved, with war with the Soviets looking ever likely come September, Kanin Kotohito took over the Chief of the Army position, with his skills in the doctrine of Static Defence being most needed at this critical juncture. Shimomura Sadamu also became Chief of Staff, with his expert recruiting skills preparing the Empire of the Rising Sun for this prolonged war of attrition.

As tensions in Europe kept on rising, the Chinese hordes – now freed up from the southern front - approached the Yellow River. Japanese and Northern Chinese forces were still preparing the defensive-line. Kai-Shek did not wait for them, and his forces attacked Yucheng on 10 July 1939 with a total of 81 divisions. Japanese forces rushed to the defense of the marshland, getting 31 divisions to defend the territory at its peak. This fierce battle raged until 2 August, gratefully in Japanese victory.

Those 81 divisions then turned their focus to Anyang, and with just 16 Japanese units in defence, the Chinese won the battle over the course of 2 weeks, by 2 September 1939. To complicate matters, the Communist Chinese launched a near simultaneous attack on Datong with 56 divisions, against just 12 Japanese and Northern Chinese divisions.

Before there was even time for the ink to dry on Plan Z, it was in tatters. The Yellow River line was abandoned for an improvised defensive-line of Tianjin, Beiping and Kalgan in the south, in order to try and keep Northern China and Mengkukuo alive.

During this time, much was afoot in Europe too.

The Germans and Soviets entered into a secretive non-aggression pact, the contents of which can now be revealed.

The pact will expire on 1 JAN 41.

1. Rights and obligations of the USSR.

a. The sphere of influence of the USSR includes all of Finland, the Baltic states, Eastern Poland, Bessarabia, Iran and Afghanistan. The SOU is free to take whatever actions needed to safeguard and grow these countries to include a DOW if needed.

b. The USSR is prohibited from any other DOWs in Europe.

c.. The USSR will make available and guarantee the availability of 150 oil, 200 if they DOW Iran, and 100 rares per day in full cost plus 10% trades for the Western Axis. This may require the purchase of these materials on the open market. This obligation will extend for the life of the pact.

d. If 150(200 if Iran is DOWd) oil and/or 100 rares are not available on the open market for the USSR to purchase in order to satisfy this obligation, the USSR is not required to reduce their stockpile below the authorized level.

2. Rights and obligations of the European Axis powers.

a. The European Axis countries are free to employ all measures to include DOWs in order to protect and develop any country in Europe, Africa, the Middle East and the Americas except for those in the sphere of influence of the USSR and the special country of Turkey.

b. Turkey enjoys a special protected status and neither the USSR nor the Axis may DOW it prior to 1 JAN 41.

c. The Axis powers are not obligated to purchase the full allotment of 150(200) oil and 100 rares. however, the full amount must be made available within a week if requested.

This effectively gave the USSR a free hand to attack Japan, safely in the knowledge they had until 1941 to achieve victory in Asia.

The Red Army mounted hundreds of divisions on the Manchurian and true Mongolian borders in the summer of 1939. Japanese and Manchukuoan forces prepared their defenses in the mountains, forests and hills of the country.

On 1 September 1939 the Soviets attacked the Empire of Japan and its allies, quickly getting the Republic of China to join the Comintern.

Much of Manchuria fell, deliberately abandoned in favour of shorter supply lines and places to defend. However, once again Plan Z was shown to be too ambitious, with Mudanjiang – now threatened by three angles of attack – fell to 47 Soviet divisions, with just 7 Japanese divisions having been able to reach to province in time before retreating.

However, everywhere else looked promising in the initial stages. The Japanese achieved victories over Soviet forces in Chifeng, and Changde, Rehe in September. The Chinese even tried to help, launching an epic assault on Tianjin with 84 divisions on 22 September. 45 Japanese and allied divisions held the city after 8 days of fighting.

The Imperial Japanese Navy even scored great success soon after the Soviets joined the war, sinking the pride of the Soviet navy on 8 September 1939, alongside a transport ship. A further naval battle ensured on 27-28 September, with 4 Soviet submarines being sunk in Hangzhou Bay after they had some success in convoy raiding.

1-Frontline-Sep-Oct-1939.png

However, the Red Army had not demonstrated its full power in September, and Japan braced itself for the gruelling war ahead.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Great story! Out of curiosity, why two of you playing Japan? It seems unusual to have multiple players for that country but only 1 for Germany or USA.

There were two of us as Stevep was relatively new to multiplayer AoD and wanted to see what it was like before having his own nation. I think he joined me as Japan purely because I was the one who persuaded him to join us. In our online games we share out military control between all the aligned nations, so he was able to see what was going on in Germany and Italy too.

There were two of us as Stevep was relatively new to multiplayer AoD and wanted to see what it was like before having his own nation. I think he joined me as Japan purely because I was the one who persuaded him to join us. In our online games we share out military control between all the aligned nations, so he was able to see what was going on in Germany and Italy too.

That was the case. I have played AoD but not since 2017 and with it being Jarski's mod rather than the standard version and multi-player as well Boney suggested I double up with him. Largely backseat driving with an occasional hint on 'what about' or warning 'have you noticed the build up at X' Actually did the 1st session with some preparation as he was unavailable. Did later on move to another power but won't say more because that would include at least one spoiler. [No. nothing to to with the Taiwanese empire rising to superpower status.:p].

We're currently on the next campaign but one - as the intervening one ended pretty quickly. On the reverse of the situation as to get the ball rolling I agreed to fill in as China rather than one of my choices. Still very early days and the war with Japan hasn't started yet but working out the details for my victory march through Tokyo. [I.e. trying to avoid complete destruction].

• 1Like
Reactions: