• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Originally posted by Maj. von Mauser:
That I would not like to see, form reading your last AAR I got the impression that you always tryed to do things in a realistic manner. The is no way Japan would have ever even considered considereing withdrawing troops from China.

Agreed. They felt that if they were not heavily committed in China, it would be too much of a disgrace.

It's heart-warming that Germany is so generous! There you have a prideful example of fascist brotherhood! ;)

Regarding the USN, I have a feeling that the AI's good ol' naval retardedness will give you a hand. :p

stnylan - Lack of airpower is a small problem, but at least its crippled for months. I have a good idea of where it went though. The Chinese forces are looking doomed in south east China.

Maj. von Mauser, elbasto, Mangudai - I do attempt to be realistic as you know. I would not simply abandon China when/if the Soviets attack. They will be made to pay in blood for every foot of ground, but if I have no choice I would withdraw rather than have my army destroyed.

Haohmaru - Thank you and welcome out of lurk mode and to the forums, even if its only for a few seconds :)

Sokraates - Looking at whats going on in Europe, the Germans are doing surprisingly well in some areas. The monthly update will show whats going on in those far off lands. The Transports would have needed to rebase to Wake, which they could have done. Typically it takes at least 24 hours for enough supplies to catch up to provide them with the oil to leave supplied. I didn't want that delay nor did I want oil left on Wake. Marcus Island is easily in range and they can enter that harbour without the need to delay for resupply.

Kurt_Steiner - The AI has some silly ideas at times :) Saratoga has escaped, but I am fairly sure where it went, getting to it could be painful.

oddman - Welcome. Comments are always welcome but not required, it is a free World, mostly, after all. I think I only used emperor once in the first post and its been fixed, thank you for pointing it out :) I have absolutely no idea if I can win this as Japan, there are a lot of hurdles to overcome.

Murmurandus - A decent start, I would have liked to have sunk a few more ships, but can't always have it my way.

Mangudai - German tech is fairly critical as Japan is way behind in some areas, most notably computer and decryption. I doubt I can research fast enough on VH to make the most of all of their blueprints.

A human would split the damaged ships off from those fleets I have bombed, the AI will probably keep the entire fleet in dry dock until the ships are repaired. There is a good chance the damaged fleets won't be at sea for months as a result.

Update to close out June to follow ...

Stemming the Tide

0000 June 27th 1944.
Diplomatic Offices. Japan, Tokyo.

The Siamese Ambassador had requested another audience with Mamuro and he welcomed the diplomat into his offices.​

jun27440000gr1.jpg

Siam was prepared to offer more metal to Japan for nothing in return. Mamuro was not about to refuse such an offer.​

0500 June 27th 1944.
BB Division 1 Flagship. IJN Yamashiro, Mapmaker Seamounts.

Yamamoto was completing the embarkation of the marines from Wake Island when he received news of the arrival of one of Japan's major naval forces in Tokyo.​

jun27440500gr1.jpg

Carrier Group C, commanded by Grand Admiral Nagano, was now available for operations close to Japan. Yamamoto would allow this fleet to resupply and be regrouped with his own before utilising its potential might.​

jun27440700gr1.jpg

The marines had completed their move onto BB Division 1 Transport ships by 0700 hours, and Yamamoto laid in a course for Marcus Island to pick up the infantry division stationed there.​

1000 June 28th 1944.
North China Army Headquarters. Zhuzhou, China.

Higashikuni was keeping a close eye on advances throughout China and Indochina and received some expected reports from his forces as dusk arrived.​

jun28441000gr1.jpg

General Asaka had completed his advance into Shaoguan and had defeated a half hearted counter attack by Chinese forces. His arrival sealed the fate of over twenty Nationalist Chinese divisions now trapped in the south east of their Country. Higashikuni would not order any attacks against these forces for at least a week, as he wished to have their morale and organisation depleted before commiting his own troops.

At 0200 hours on the 29th a second advance provided another opportunity for Japanese troops to capture additional enemy troops.​

jun29440200gr1.jpg

Mj. General Hashimoto, commanding the South China Army, had captured Nanning province isolating Chinese troops in Zhanjiang.

Lt. General Chandra Bose led the attack against these forces which were forced to surrender after six hours of futile defence. General Dohihara would lead his Headquarters division into Zhanjiang to retake the province.​

1000 June 29th 1944.
BB Division 1 Flagship. IJN Yamashiro, Grosvenor Seamount.

So far Yamamoto had been lucky. With the exception of one Submarine division no other enemy ships had tried to oppose his current mission.​

jun29441000gr1.jpg

He had now arrived off Marcus Island and made for the small harbour to embark the infantry stationed there. A few more days and he would be able to land these forces on the unprotected Bonin Islands and he could concentrate on more aggressive plans.​

jun29441600gr1.jpg

Not everything was going his way as a report arrived from Mj. General Koike, commander of the Truk Garrison. Enemy troops from New Zealand had captured Satawan Island to the south of Truk. Koike was now in a desperate situation with a force that was under one third of its desired strength facing a full strength and likely more modern division. There was little Yamamoto could do to help Koike, he would have to live or die defending the island on his own.​

jun30441700gr2.jpg

The attack against Koike began at 1700 hours on June 30th. The chances of the Truk Garrison surviving were remote.​

0000 June 30th 1944.
Diplomatic Offices. Tokyo, Japan.

Mamoru had to try and obtain as much energy as possible for his Country. The options were very limited but he did all he could to acquire this commodity whenever possible.​

jun30440000gr1.jpg

Turkey had agreed to provide most of their surplus energy to Japan. Most of this trade would arrive in tact but some losses were inevitable. The cost in supplies was rediculously high, but Mamuro had no option but to agree the price.​

Last edited:
Too bad about Truk.

Nice update as always. :)

New Zealanders? I guess the Allies realised their superiority over the USMC. :p

What I would really like to see, is Bose leading his National Army into India to release it from the grip of the British! :D I do understand that this is a bit far off, though.

Last edited:
Indeed a shame about Truk.

stnylan said:
Indeed a shame about Truk.

Perhaps, but given that I have seen the enemy capture islands and then just abandon them, Truk may only be occupied by the New Zealanders for a brief while.

Nathan Madien said:
Perhaps, but given that I have seen the enemy capture islands and then just abandon them, Truk may only be occupied by the New Zealanders for a brief while.

Or the US take over and build a superstack there. :wacko:

Are you considering building a defensive perimeter in the Pacific until China is dealt with?

Maj. von Mauser, stnylan - Some temporary losses were inevitable.

Mangudai - Bose might see India but he will probably get there by ship :)

Nathan Madien - Yes there is a good chance that they will just abandon it.

trekaddict - Hopefully there superstack won't be on a VP province this time. v1.3a has helped with the superstack problem a little so it might not appear.

Murmurandus - What is this talk of defence?

Sokraates - Tempting but I try not to have Commando leaders in charge of infantry :)

The Hunter - Looking like they will increase from 2 islands to 4, a large increase :D

Monthly update to follow ...

Update (July 1st 1944)

0000 July 1st 1944.
Imperial Palace. Tokyo, Japan.

"Your Majesty, Gentlemen. This new Cabinet has now been active for ten days and has entered its first new month. Time for some details of our Nation's current situation. We will begin with Industry." Prime Minister Hideki started the meeting.

"Thank you Prime Minister. Good morning your Majesty, Gentlemen." began Ginjiro. "Our Industry is running at near full capacity and has enough raw materials to maintain current production for eight days."​

july1440000prod.jpg

"My main concern is energy, or rather the lack of this commodity. We require a minimum of an additional seven thousands tons of energy to sustain industrial capacity throughout July. How we obtain that much energy is out of my control but without it our capacity to build new equipment or supply our troops will be seriously effected. The capture of the capital of Guangxi may help but there is no guarantee that it will, or that China will not annex Guangxi before we can capture the stockpile within Guilin.

I suggest that we try and arrange some exchanges of goods between Japan and other Countries that will allow us to do so. Waiting on the fortunes of War should not be the way we ensure our supplies."

"I can make some trades if required, although I would rather wait as it would give me time to make more favourable terms on such trades." replied Foreign Minister Mamoru.

"The path chosen by Armaments Minister Ginjiro is the one we shall follow. Begin trading as soon as possible. Even if fortune smiles upon us we will need the raw materials in time." Hirohito stated.

"As your Majesty wishes." replied Mamuro.

"Thank you your Majesty. To continue. Our shortfall in metal has been alleviated somewhat by a few free trades with Siam. We still have a deficit but it is far more controllable than other resources. Rare materials are increasing and can be used as a source for trading to other Countries. Oil is also increasing slightly due to some well placed trades by the Foreign Minister with South American Countries. The fact that most of the Imperial Japanese Navy is currently in port and consuming very little oil is also helping.

The population is still slightly discontent with the recent Cabinet reshuffle and at current levels it will take almost a month to completely reduce this dissent. Once this is done the industrial capacity currently being used to appease the populace can be switched to upgrading our forces. A side product of our current production is the increase of our monetary reserves.

Our manpower growth is steady and our transport capacity is still above our maximum threshold. Once the Kwantung Army arrives at its destination this should reduce to more reasonable levels. The reduction in dissent will also help in this regard as more industrial capacity becomes available with the return of our people to the factories.

More production has been switched to producing supplies to cover the costs involved with our current trades. A small amount of our industrial capacity has been allocated to providing replacements for some divisions that are short on manpower. We have a plentiful supply of convoys for the moment and no more have been ordered so far. Nothing further." concluded Ginjiro.

"I will move on to our military situation next." Hideki began. "The last ten days have mostly gone favourably for our forces both in China and the Pacific."​

july1440000pac.jpg

"Yamamoto has successfully removed the garrisons from both Wake and Marcus Islands and will shortly arrive in the Bonin Islands. There has been one hostile invasion in the Carolines at Satawan. This invasion has resulted in an attack against our garrison on the island of Truk. We do not expect the garrison to survive the battle. Additional plans are being made to try and remove further troops that are at risk, most notably in Rabaul. We can not afford to lose troops as we do not have a bottomless supply of new recruits with which to replace them.

There have been several attacks made against enemy shipping in the Pacific which resulted in the sinking of one American Aircraft Carrier. A second has been badly damaged and a third moderately so. One American Battleship has also received moderate damage. No Japanese ships have been damaged. We are not certain where the damaged Carriers went but they were last seen heading south and east from Palau towards the Carolines. If we assume that they were heading for a deep water port for repairs, the two closest bases would be Hollandia or the Admiralty Islands. Should they just be seeking a safe harbour and not a repair facility then they could be anywhere in the Carolines.

We shall be sending out some aircraft to try and find the possible location of these ships, but if they are in Hollandia or the Admiralty Islands we only have our Naval bombers that could reach them. Sinking these ships would be of great benefit and we shall do so if possible.

The damaged Battleships headed further east, possibly towards Eniwetok which is out of range of our bombers. That concludes the Pacific so we will move on to China where the Chief of the Army will take over."

"Thank you Prime Minister. Your Majesty, Gentlemen." Satoru began. "Progress has been good in general, with speed dictated by terrain more than enemy forces. The only set back is in Burma where some of our forces are withdrawing in the face of overwhelming enemy forces."​

july1440000china.jpg

"We have managed to isolate roughly twenty five Chinese divisions in south eastern China, and these will be dealt with, once they have had a suitable period of time to contemplate their current predicament. We also captured two divisions in Zhanjiang that had briefly advanced into our territory.

The map shows our current plans for advance into China. Most of July will be needed to advance these small distances as nearly all of the terrain is mountainous. The Kwantung Army is due to arrive in Changsha on July 5th or 6th and will begin advancing after a few days reorganisation. Our southern forces will begin moving west into the mountains of Guangxi to attempt to isolate more Chinese forces in both Shaoyang and Wuzhou.

The northern line of advance will place our forces outside the Chinese capital of Chongqing. We do not know how many enemy troops are between Changsha and Wanxian and our plans may need to be altered. I would request the use of all Tactical bombers as well as the Close Support Aircraft for this phase of our ground campaign as their assistance would be most helpful in allowing us a swift advance through the mountains."

"They are needed in the Pacific to reduce the United States Navy." stated the Chief of the Navy, Nagano Osami. "We are currently planning an operation that requires their presence in order for it to succeed."

"This I am aware of, but I request their use regardless." replied Satoru.

"How long will your plan need to complete Minister Osami?" asked Hirohito.

"Two weeks your Majesty." replied Osami.

"You have the bombers for two weeks and then they go to China." stated the Emperor. "You will still have the Naval bombers."

"Thank you your Majesty." replied Osami.

"I have nothing to add to my report, so I will hand you over to the Chief of the Navy." concluded Satoru.

"Your Majesty, Gentlemen. The Imperial Japanese Navy has sustained no damage, nor inflicted any during the last ten days." Osami began. "Grand Admiral Yamamoto will be sailing directly back to Tokyo once he has finished landing troops in the Bonin Islands. Once there the fleet will be re-configured to support an invasion which will require almost the entire fleet to sail. With the exception of BB Division 1 all of the remaining ships of the Imperial Japanese Navy are already in Tokyo. They encountered no enemy presence during their journeys back to the capital.

As has already been said, we have damaged some American vessels, which we hope will give us a small window of opportunity to strike back. Our chosen target is the island of Saipan. Recent overflights by our aircraft on Naval patrol spotted the defensive garrison on the island being embarked onto transport ships, this currently leaves this island undefended. Two divisions from the Tokyo garrison will be landed on the island to secure it from future attack. This island is of great strategic value as it removes the closest base that the Allies have to mainland Japan. Capturing it will restrict the range of any future United States aggression and moves their aircraft completely out of range of Japan.

The operation carries some risk as we do not know the whereabouts of over half of the United States Navy's Aircraft Carriers and roughly one third of their Battleships. We believe that approximately one quarter to one third of the United States Navy is operating in the Atlantic which limits what could still be unaccounted for in the Pacific. Using the entire fleet to cover this invasion should provide adequate protection against most things, and we should have some advance warning of any hostile fleets approach because of the Tactical bombers.

Once we have captured Saipan most of the fleets will use it as a base of operations. The second task that needs to be completed is the rescue of the garrison on Rabaul and forces still in New Guinea. Two fleets will sail from Saipan to pick these forces up and move them to Java in Indonesia. Whilst the fleet is in that area it will also be used to re-distribute other troops to more favourable locations. Once these measures have been taken the fleet will then begin hunting for hostile shipping as well as protecting islands from invasion. Nothing more from me." concluded Osami.

"That concludes the military briefing so we will move on to Diplomacy." Hideki stated.

"Your Majesty. Gentlemen. The last few days has seen a large amount of diplomatic activity. I have managed to secure several trade agreements with various Countries, although none were what I would call equal trades, with the exception of our trade with Manchukuo. Siam has donated a large part of its metal production to our cause as well as some rare materials. Attempts to find and acquire energy have been limited. The main target for an energy trade would be the Soviet Union, but unfortunately more than 90% of any trade with them would not reach our shores. I am still seeking other possible trading partners for energy and will begin some one time trades after this meeting." began Mamoru.

"I have also managed to obtain a large quantity of blueprints for some advanced technology from our German ally in exchange for some of our technology and other resources. The Germans have been kind enough to begin to provide this type of information for free after our first trade. These trades should greatly increase the speed of our research into the relevant fields."​

july1440000gereast2.jpg

"I have also received an up to date set of maps for the War in Europe. Our German ally is making some gains in the south but is losing ground almost everywhere else on the Eastern Front. The Soviets appear to be concentrating their forces towards the center which also seems to be the Germans weak point. The Kriegsmarine appears to be hunting something in the Baltic but I have no idea what that might be."​

july1440000gerita.jpg

"The British have pierced the defences in Italy, although there do seem to be enough Axis troops here to possibly halt any further advances. Most surprisingly the Allies have failed to expand their beach head in Normandy. The force sizes do not appear to have changed much and yet the defences hold firm. We can only hope this situation can be maintained. All done." concluded Mamoru.

"Intelligence please."

"Your Majesty, Gentlemen. We lack the funds for me to increase either defensive or offensive intelligence operatives, with diplomacy taking all the spare funds we have. I have put together the latest intelligence reports on our main enemies and the Soviet Union." began Kuniaki.​

july1440000intnc.jpg

"The current estimate of Nationalist Chinese forces places them at fifty nine divisions. This would mean that they have lost twenty one divisions in ten days. This is not correct. We have captured two divisions so far which would put the number closer to the eighty they were reported as having ten days ago. The are a further twenty or more divisions isolated that will eventually be captured which will bring the number close to the current estimate."​

july1440000intuk.jpg

"Similarly the numbers for the United Kingdom are also completely different. This is largely due to the small number of agents we have within their ranks. According to these numbers the British suffered huge losses in their land forces and also lost three Aircraft Carriers. We know that neither of these is correct. This is why we need to increase our agents in these areas to enable more accurate reporting."​

july1440000produs.jpg

"The United States ground forces also show a large loss which is also not correct. The numbers for their Navy look to be fairly consistant however. These show the loss of one Aircraft Carrier, which we know is true, and the addition of seven smaller vessels."​

july1440000intsov.jpg

"Our agents in the Soviet Union are more numerous and this report is likely to be more accurate. Quite simply they have a massive army, a fairly large airforce and a useless navy. Judging from their research they do not appear to be too far ahead of us in most areas.

I will need considerable funding to be able to provide much better information than I can at present although I believe the current resource situation is of more importance, and therefore a better use of the funds we have available. I shall continue to monitor our enemies in the hope of finding some weaknesses. Nothing further." Kuniaki concluded.

"That is everyone for today your Majesty as there is nothing to report for Security as it is unchanged." Hidaki told the Emperor.

"Very well. We will have to be bold in order to survive and I am pleased with progress so far. Thank you for coming Gentlemen." Hirohito said as he left the room.​

Ah, the fun and games of the intelligence updates :)

The first few days have, on the whole, been quite encouraging true. Somehow I doubt it will all be this easy.

Ah, yes ... the joy of capturing a province to deny the enemy an airfield or a naval base close to one's homeland. Unfortunately the AI doesn't care about ranges and will attack you even from half a world away. :(

Damn that stupid AI. :mad:

So the American AI leaves Saipan right after capturing it and is stuck in Normandie? :rolleyes: Maybe you're in for an easier ride than you thought!

The plans for the Chinese front look good, but I can't help worrying a little about those Brits slowly chopping their way through the Burmese jungle. Have you given a future defensive line any thoughts?

Sokraates said:
Ah, yes ... the joy of capturing a province to deny the enemy an airfield or a naval base close to one's homeland. Unfortunately the AI doesn't care about ranges and will attack you even from half a world away. :(

Damn that stupid AI. :mad:

Well thats true for the naval part (darn unlimited range) but for the air part it's different. For the airforce, the can be based anywhere and attack any province within range of any airbase. So a plane based in Australia can hit Paris due to airfields in Britain, but that same plane can't hit Berlin if no airbase is close enough.

So capturing airbases is still a sound deal.

are you going to go for world Domination like the German AAR or are you going to puppet china?

cause we know you can remble.