• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I admire what you've done, and how you've turned a losing battle in both Asia and the Pacific into victories for the IJA and IJN. However, I cannot see you defeating the Soviets. While it is true they have captured little in the way of land, you really cannot afford to give anymore up, or else you'll have to defend more provinces as they advance through China. I also have doubts over the ability of Japan to conduct a sustained war with the USSR given the energy shortages.

Have you thought of making a big landing in Siberia, while moving most of your Manchuria troops southwards to the former Mongolian border. You could then attempt to perform a Stalingrad on a continental scale, to encircle the whole of the Soviet Manchuria forces by linking to Siberia/Mongolia. With your navy you could quickly defeat any convoys of the USSR and then starve the Soviets to submission.

With the manpower and TC situation, that is the only way I think victory can be attained. Nethertheless, this is an entertaining AAR, whichever way it goes. ;)

Your decision to annex Persia is a good one. With the onset of the new operation, improbable, opening a new front in the Caucasus at the very same time will be a disaster, however not a disaster for you, but for the Soviets. I'm looking forward to it. :)
Also thanks for the overview you gave before that, of your entire AAR thus far.

HoIWarrior14 said:
I admire what you've done, and how you've turned a losing battle in both Asia and the Pacific into victories for the IJA and IJN.

I heartily agree with this. Congrats on victories so far.

HoIWarrior14 said:
However, I cannot see you defeating the Soviets. While it is true they have captured little in the way of land, you really cannot afford to give anymore up, or else you'll have to defend more provinces as they advance through China.

The thing is the Soviets are greatly weakened. In my opinion its a matter of months before the Soviets break (considering how bad the AI truly is at reinforcing its units) and Japan can truly gain an upper hand. I've seen this guy through the Germany vs the Soviet battles and know he can win here, replacing Germany's armor with aircraft instead.

HoIWarrior14 said:
I also have doubts over the ability of Japan to conduct a sustained war with the USSR given the energy shortages.

At the current moment, Japan actually has a surplus of energy (Remble stated a while back that he reloads the game for each update so that's why energy seems to be negative), so the biggest worry is manpower and TC, not energy.

HoIWarrior14 said:
Have you thought of making a big landing in Siberia, while moving most of your Manchuria troops southwards to the former Mongolian border. You could then attempt to perform a Stalingrad on a continental scale, to encircle the whole of the Soviet Manchuria forces by linking to Siberia/Mongolia. With your navy you could quickly defeat any convoys of the USSR and then starve the Soviets to submission.

I think a massive pocket like that is considered gamey (like going from Leningrad to Baku cutting off entire European USSR), and besides due to the fact the Soviets are spread over the whole front like Remble is now, he might capture say 100 divisions top (while very damaging yes). But he pretty much gives all of China to the Soviets and would need to recapture it which would take a lot of time.

HoIWarrior14 said:
With the manpower and TC situation, that is the only way I think victory can be attained. Nethertheless, this is an entertaining AAR, whichever way it goes. ;)

This is entertaining, that's for sure. :)

Operation Improbable? A Japanese landing at Washington DC, my Gosh!

Deus Eversor said:
soviets will send fresh forces to middle east and before russians crumble in china
india will be taken

that would be pretty much a dream scenario, since the eastern persian desert is CAS territory. unless the AI send in troop in 30+ stacks rembles CASs can rip the soviets to shreds there with minimal effort. unless they are extremely needed elsewhere at that moment...

alan_le_cowboy - May is going to be a little busy. I have no clue how busy yet as I have not played passed May 1st.

Krogzar - Thank you. I had to go look up the name myself as it has been a while :) Time will tell what the operation will hit and it is good to keep you all guessing on occasion :p

Carlito Gambino - Funny how its always the Soviets that control a games destiny. My forces have grown slowly over time as my puppets produce troops but I am still only around 150 divisions at most in Asia.

Manziel - Baku would be nice but this is more of a confuse the enemy type of approach.

Maj. von Mauser - They do seem to have a hole in the center but there are a ton of troops moving into it. The six divisions from Operation Tedious are resting in Japan but will not be staying there long.

trekaddict, Connavar - South Africa would be possible but my Transport fleets are out of position to begin that in 24 hours. Panama Canal is out of range :)

robou - It will not be a general offensive no. It has a set target. The Emperor likes to be blunt sometimes, especially when people want to know whats on his mind ;)

Beladriel, trekaddict, DvD-IT - The total destruction of the Red Army is the goal. It makes it a lot easier to move to Moscow if there are no enemy troops around to slow things down. The AI would be better if allocated more to reinforcements. It may well be that this is a deliberate move by Paradox as it would be easier to bleed Countries dry of manpower if the AI could allocate more. It is already possible to cripple an enemy by not destroying its divisions and merely damaging them and this process could become worse if the AI actually runs out of manpower.

GeneralHannibal, Chief Savage Ma, al_faris, Nathan Madien - Afghanistan is going to remain neutral unless it becomes my enemy. I want it there as it is very useful, just like Tibet is. Persia is a diversionary type of thing.

germanpeon - Thank you. Straight to the heart of the matter. At current air attrition rates the Red Army will not last a year.

harezmi - I will probably allow the Red Army to advance into Persia almost unhindered. The whole area is bombed to hell and back so its useless to me right no.

Thurak - Sometimes I do the obvious thing but I always like to keep you all guessing up until the last moment :)

zdlugasz - Manpower and TC are very much linked as my TC will indeed be crippled by partisans. I would not be at all surprised if it takes a year to calm that problem before I can move elsewhere. The no manpower event rules are still in place as is the no land connection.

HoIWarrior14 - Large encirclements, while possible, go against my play style. I tend to use small ones that the AI can see coming easily and try to react to. Victory could be many things. I could quite easily call it quits right now and claim Victory as I am still alive :) Not going to happen of course as survival is not my kind of Victory.

FlorisDeVijfde - Thanks. Persia seemed the right choice to make as it loses me next to nothing and could gain me a lot more.

Panzer6 - Thank you. Good assessment as always :) My Energy actually fuctuates a lot and is only positive when no oil conversion takes place. Its probably close to net neutral.

Kurt_Steiner - That would certainly be improbable :D

al_faris - Maybe I will bring him back to lead the assault :)

Deus Eversor - All things are possible and I could lose India. Giving the Soviets India will require something in exchange. I usually get the better of such deals.

E. Jünger - The CAS will be staying in the center and north for the forseeable future. TAC's can kill in that terrain easily enough.

Inner Circle - Production is fine but there will be no new CAS as they are too good at killing things. TAC's I will build though with some reluctance.

Kayapo - Thank you very much. Welcome to waiting for updates :)

As I said in a reply I have not played passed My 1st yet and will not be able to until tonight. Game updates will begin tomorrow but I made up a little conversation to tide you over ...

Planning

0100 May 1st 1946.
Chief of Staff Offices. Tokyo, Japan.

Many plans had been discussed and discarded over the quieter months of Winter but a few had progressed further than the planning stage. Tanigawa and Sotoru spoke with both of their Army Field Commanders in Asia after the monthly meeting to cement plans that the Emperor had agreed on. Higashikuni and Terauchi had returned to Tokyo for a briefing on the current plans.

"Good morning Gentlemen and thank you for returning home even if only briefly." Tanigawa greeted Higashikuni and Terauchi as he entered his office after returning from the meeting with the Cabinet.

"It is always nice to see home once in a while even if it is only for a few hours Sir." replied Higashikuni.

"That it is." added Terauchi. "I take it you are going to inform us of the Emperors' plans?" he asked.

"That is why I asked you both here yes." replied Tanigawa. "His Majesty made two decisions earlier this morning that will impact on you both. Firstly He wishes Persia to be annexed."

"So we are going to invite the Red Army into the Middle East then. Not ideal but it will hopefully take some pressure of the Front lines elsewhere." Higashikuni stated.

"I think that is the general idea as we do not think that the Soviets have enough troops on that particular border right now. This will make them relocate forces from other areas with a little luck." added Tanigawa.

"Will I get any additional air support to cover Persia?" Tanigawa asked.

"Not immediately no." replied Satoru. "The situation in the center still requires our Dive bombers so you will have to make do with the one Tactical bomber group currently assigned to India."

"That will have to do I suppose." responded Higashikuni grudgingly. "The Red Army is already in India so those planes can just wait for more enemy troops to show up over time. The enemy has a long way to go before it reaches any critical areas but the Energy supplies in eastern India are important and will be threatened."

"True but we can hold them without much effort I would think and any losses would be temporary with only us having air support." responded Tanigawa.

"Ok I am happy enough with that for now. What is the second thing the Emperor wishes of us?" asked Higashikuni.

Satoru unrolled a map containing force dispositions and arrows depicting points of advance. He allowed both Field Commanders to look over the map for a few minutes before asking for opinions.

"Interesting and a little dangerous." was all Higashikuni said when first asked to comment.

"Some risks are worth taking." replied Satoru.

"How many replacements are available? This is likely to be a little costly even if it goes well." asked Terauchi.

"Not enough but we are to do the best we can with what we have." came the reply from Satoru.

"Great. So we attack the Red Army without adequate reinforcements then. Sounds like a solid plan." responded Terauchi pessimistically.

"We can halt the advance almost at will if the enemy counters too swiftly and with too much force. The forces involved will naturally be granted extra provisions to give the maximum chance of success. We have discussed this option several times and it was always going to be viable at some point." stated Tanigawa.

"Oh I agree it would happen at some point, the timing might be a little early though." replied Terauchi.

"So far we have tried to keep our enemy guessing by making several attacks in Siberia and it worked up to a point, we have to increase the pressure to confuse the Soviets even more and force them to respond as we wish." said Tanigawa.

"You realise that it will take a month to annex Persia which is going to leave this operation a little vunerable until we can open up a Persian front with the Red Army?" asked Higashikuni.

"I do yes." replied Tanigawa. "We can either sit back and let Zhukov push you back into the Chinese interior or we can try and have a large part of his Army taken from him to cover our actions. If this doesn't work then we won't lose much but if we sit back and allow him to dictate the pace then it will take us months to retake the territory we will lose. I have no doubt that we can win eventually but I would like to do it sooner rather than later. The Allies can only be kept under control for so long and if they begin to attack in force then I may have no option but to move some aircraft to the Pacific, at which point we become totally defensive in Asia. Right now we have air superiority and can keep it so we have to use that advantage while we can."

"If Operation Improbable succeeds then Zhukov won't be going much further. We are trying to prevent another situation like the one around Datong where we allowed an advance through our lines." Satoru also added.

"Well if it does work the Soviets will need to replace one of their Army groups from somewhere and they are running a little low on divisions." Higashikuni said optimistically. "It is not like we have much choice as it is the Emperors' will."

"When do you want this to begin?" asked Terauchi.

"As soon as you Gentlemen are ready. I told His Majesty twenty four hours." replied Tanigawa.

"I am glad there is no hurry then." said Terauchi. "I am ready if you are?" Terauchi asked Higashikuni.

"The men will probably be glad to be moving forwards for a change. I am also ready to begin." Higashikuni replied.

"Did you want to start at dawn today or tomorrow?" asked Satoru.

"Today. We may as well get this started." replied Higashikuni as Terauchi nodded in agreement.

"2200 hours May 1st it shall be. Good luck Gentlemen." Tanigawa said.

"Thank you Sir." both Commanders replied as they headed out of the office towards their waiting aircraft.

"This is going to be bloody." Terauchi said to Higashikuni before they went their separate ways.

"Such is the nature of War my friend." replied Higashikuni philosophically.​

The last exchange has remind me of that sentence by Sherman

"War is hell".

Let's bring hell closer to Moscow, then :D

thatguy said:
Do I detect an impending monster encirclement?

Remble said that he doesn't like to use large encirclements. However, I think that he is going to go on a broad offensive with the goal of several minor encirclements. I have been eagerly awaiting the Japanese armies to go on the offensive against the Soviets, good luck Remble!

Certainly sounds interesting.

The Soviets losing a whole army (12 Division) is certainly a good thing to set as a goal, hopefully even more will be destroyed by this "Improbable" operation. :D

Brad1 said:
Remble said that he doesn't like to use large encirclements. However, I think that he is going to go on a broad offensive with the goal of several minor encirclements. I have been eagerly awaiting the Japanese armies to go on the offensive against the Soviets, good luck Remble!
He did use one at the beginning of the AAR to destroy about half the Chinese Army, so it's not entirely impossible.