• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Very nice. Surprised your threat isn't high enough for the allies to declare war on you.

In a past HPP Italy game I played, I was more than high enough and Britain still refused to declare. I think they didn't want to fight another front.

Very nice. Surprised your threat isn't high enough for the allies to declare war on you.

In a past HPP Italy game I played, I was more than high enough and Britain still refused to declare. I think they didn't want to fight another front.
Yeah, I believe the Allies could declare war on me if they wanted to, but they are more than occupied with Germany right now and probably do not wish to have to fight on another front.

Chapter 10
The Invasion of Bulgaria
October 7th - November 14th, 1939

On October 7th, the uneasy peace that had settled in the Balkans since the end of the Italo-Greek War ended with Italian troops crossing over the Bulgarian border. Mussolini had issued an ultimatum to the country on the 6th, which was turned down, as expected, and used this as a justification for yet another war of conquest.

At approximately midnight, Italian troops of Armata Est (consisting of 2a Armata, 6a Armata, and 8a Armata) overran border checkpoints, though Bulgarian resistance was tough and the terrain was unforgivable in many places. Though Italy certainly had the upper hand in the conflict from the start, every inch of land would have to be fought for.

J1fIu.jpg

The invasion of Bulgaria began on October 7th.

Within two days, 2a Divisione Eritrea had broken through the Bulgarian lines at Trun and were not far away from the Bulgarian capital at Sofiya. Unfortunately, their progress would be stymied by increasing Bulgarian resistance.

The hard-fought Battle of Kyustendil concluded on October 14th after both sides suffered approximately 1,100 casualties apiece. By the 15th, 1a Division CCNN began an assault on Sofiya from the north. The single mountain division could not take Sofiya all by itself, but reinforcements were arriving and it was expected that the city would fall by the end of October, despite stiff Bulgarian resistance.

On October 16th, production and training was commenced on the building of five new infantry divisions for the Regio Esercito. Later that day, the world was shocked when the United States mobilized her armed forces. The United States was not yet involved in the conflict, but she had very good relations with Britain and France and it was suspected that if she did pick sides in the war, it would be against the Axis. This was worrisome as the United States, in a fully mobilized state, would be almost impossible to defeat with her geographic isolation and powerful industrial might.

W2Rov.jpg

The USA's mobilization on October 16th was big news heard around the world.

Bulgaria was putting all it could into holding Sofiya as many divisions of reinforcement began to pour into the city. This came at the expense of defending other portions of the country. As a result, Bulgaria's entire northern region was virtually undefended. 2a Divisione CCNN and 5a Divisione CCNN were attempting to take advantage of this situation by marching eastward, hoping to be able to take the Bulgarian port at Varna by the end of the month. Unfortunately, these divisions were not motorized, so they could not take advantage of the situation as swiftly as the General Staff may have liked.

C6jII.jpg

The path to Varna was largely clear of any meaningful resistance.

The Bulgarian position in the western half of the country continued to crumble, as well. The Battle of Sofiya was bloody, yet it was become clear that Italy was gaining the upper hand as reinforcements were pouring in from all directions, opening up new fronts to take the city. On the 21st, Kresna, a region to the south of Sofiya, fell after both sides suffered some 4,500 combined casualties. In addition, the important city of Plovdiv fell.

On October 25th, 5a Divisione CCNN brushed aside a headquarters unit at Vulchidol, clearing the way to Varna. An assault on Varna would begin on the 28th, with only a single Bulgarian garrison division protecting the vital port city.

Finally, on October 27th, the Bulgarian defense of Sofiya crumbled. After 2,300 casualties on the Italian side and 3,500 casualties on the Bulgarian side, the Bulgarian position became so fragile that it was necessary to abandon the city. With the defeat of Bulgarian forces at Pernik, in a similarly bloody affair, on the following day, some 65,000 Bulgarian soldiers were captured and taken as prisoners of war.

jZpNh.jpg

The situation in Bulgaria after the fall of Sofiya.

On the international front, the Soviet Union declared war on Finland on November 3rd, 1939, in what became known as the "Winter War".

On November 5th, production began for three new heavy cruisers for the Regia Marina. Italy's cruiser designs were some of the best in the world and would give any nation a hard time. These would be vital as Italy built up the Regia Marina in hopes of being able to challenge Britain's Royal Navy in the Mediterranean.

All the while, the assault on Varna continued. A breakthrough at Yambol and Aytos in the South allowed a second front to be opened against Varna. Finally, after two weeks of fighting, the 8,000-strong garrison at Varna surrendered to Italian forces on November 11th. Within days, Italy had fully occupied the city and taken control of the port there. Bulgaria was now in a dire position and all of its forces were completely encircled and cut off from the sea.

mUViw.jpg

The garrison at Varna surrendered on November 11th.

Finally, on the morning of November 14th, Bulgaria surrendered to Italy. Bulgaria, like Albania, Yugoslavia, and Greece, was annexed into the Kingdom of Italy. The only thing that sat between complete Italian dominance of the Balkans was Romania and potentially Turkey.

feQxi.jpg

The Kingdom of Italy after the annexation of Bulgaria.

That's the Empire I want to see forming!

How's Japan doing? If they're going strong your rares situation may be improveable once they hit the East Indies later on.

Chapter 11
Regime Change in Romania
November 15th, 1939 - January 18th, 1940

With the war in Europe over, many new freshly-trained garrison and infantry divisions were deployed across the Empire. 18 garrison divisions in all would be deployed over the next month. Most would be stationed in port cities in Italy and the Balkans, but some would also be stationed in Italy's Mediterranean island holdings. More garrison divisions would be deployed in the future, as well, as Italy's holdings continued to expand.

With Armata Est now in the process of redeploying to the Romanian border, Spain mobilized her armed forces on November 21st. Some believed that she may wish to be involved in the war against France in the near future, perhaps as early as the winter of 1940.

On December 8th, the uneasy peace in Italy was broken when Italy declared war on Romania. Romania was caught immobilized and with most of its troops stationed along the Hungarian and especially the Soviet border, which Romania, apparently incorrectly, perceived as a greater threat to her security. With most of Romania's important cities and resources near the southern border, including the capital at Bucharest and the Ploesti Oil Fields, it was expected that the war would not last too long, despite Romania having a very solid military.

6aLps.jpg

The Kingdom of Italy declared war against Romania on December 8th, 1939.

Immediately, across the southern front, the Romanian front lines were shattered. Romanian resistance along the southwestern front was stiffer and the terrain was more unforgiving, but this front was largely irrelevant as Bucharest and Ploesti were located in the southern region of the country.

On December 11th, 49a Divisione and 51a Divisione captured the Romanian port city of Constanta. Not long thereafter, Romanian defenses were shattered at Corabia and Saceni, putting Bucharest in grave danger.

On December 12th, the stakes became that much higher when the United States finally decided it had had enough and issued a declaration of war against the Kingdom of Italy. Immediately, Germany rose to defend Italy and also declared war on the United States. Hungary, Slovakia, and other Axis minors would follow suit.

The United States did not join the Allies yet (though their puppet state Liberia did), however, but they were now at war with the Axis. The great industrial sleeping giant had been awakened and was beginning to stir.

Riots broke out across much of the United States as citizens were outraged that, like Woodrow Wilson had done before during the Great War, Roosevelt had gotten America into another European war that many saw as being none of the USA's business. In fact, some citizens had even gone as far as supporting Germany and Italy. Rapid City, South Dakota and Eugene, Oregon were among the cities were rioters took to the street and actually took up arms. By the end of the month, most of these localized rebellions had been crushed, though.

rxYoh.jpg

The sleeping giant is awakened from her slumber.

On December 17th, after a victory at the Battle of Giurgiu, the Battle of Bucharest began with 13a Divisione and 14a Divisione attacking the southern suburbs. Within days, Italian troops from Saceni began pummeling the western portions of the city and by the 20th, the city was being assaulted from two fronts.

ddmMs.jpg

The Battle of Bucharest lasted from December 17th until December 21st.

On December 21st, resistance at Bucharest broke down in the face of superior numbers and firepower fielded by the Regio Esercito. 641 Italians were slain in the battle while nearly 1,100 Romanians lost their lives in the losing effort.

On Christmas Day, 1939, the Axis received a sort of a Christmas Present when Argentina officially joined the Axis Powers.

9Y5my.jpg

Argentina officially allied herself with the Axis Powers on December 25th, 1939.

By December 30th, with Bucharest taken, the Battle of Ploesti began. Unlike Bucharest, this battle would be long and arduous as Romanian reinforcements began arriving from Northern Romania.

w5n41.jpg

The Battle of Ploesti was far from a cakewalk and would last nearly three weeks.

Titu was taken in early January, opening up a second front against Ploesti. Finally, after approximately 1,500 Italian casualties and nearly 2,900 Romanian casualties, Ploesti fell in mid-January.

On January 18th, 1940, Romania officially capitulated. However, unlike in past conquests, Romania was not annexed and instead, she became a client state, or puppet, of the Kingdom of Italy. This had the added benefit of keeping Romania's sizable military in action and would also allow Italy to create a buffer state between herself and the USSR, which was become stronger by the day.

o3VAo.jpg

Romania surrendered on January 18th, 1940 and became a puppet state of the Kingdom of Italy.

The Fascist Party was installed in Romania, but while the government enjoyed some sense of autonomy, the Romanian government was ultimately subservient to Rome and any action she took could be vetoed if needed. Romania would also provide Italy with needed resources, particularly oil from the oil fields at Ploesti.

With the war over, there was only one logical option to pursue. Italy must declare war on Britain and Egypt and begin a campaign to reclaim the long-lost lands of the great Roman Empire in Egypt and the Middle East. However, Italy was not quite ready for a war against the Allies yet, so it would be a couple months before this option could be pursued.

And lest we forget that Italy is still at war with the United States along with its puppet states, Liberia and the Philippines?

That's the Empire I want to see forming!

How's Japan doing? If they're going strong your rares situation may be improveable once they hit the East Indies later on.
They've been bogged down in central China for quite awhile now. They've formed the Jingwei Regime, but just aren't making much progress now. Nevertheless, it is hard to foresee the Chinese mounting any successful offensive at this point. I'd imagine that Japan will eventually defeat the Chinese, but it may take until 1941 or 1942 for them to do so (which is actually much more realistic, anyways).

My hometown involved in an anti-war protest?

Sounds like Eugene alright.

Good work with Romania, no big surprise that the US decided to get in on the fun at your Threat level. I wonder how this will affect the Allied Faction.

My hometown involved in an anti-war protest?

Sounds like Eugene alright.
I didn't expect to see Rapid City have an anti-war protest, though! :D

Good work with Romania, no big surprise that the US decided to get in on the fun at your Threat level. I wonder how this will affect the Allied Faction.
In my next update, I think we will find out. I will probably post that tomorrow (well, make that later today now that it's after 1 AM EDT).

Not in HPP, if your a warmonger then the US at some point dows you, usually its Japan who gets the pleasure.

That will explain why my really enjoyable grand restoration of the Ottoman Empire failed...the way the Gurantees work it was really bad, because that put the US and Soviets at war, but I think because the Soviets are guranteed by the UK or france or somebody, that brought the allies at war against the US.

Basically it broke the game. Because the US declared war on the rest of the world, and then something screwy with the allies happened making me and the allies unable to attack one another, but still at war, while being allied together and could see each others divisions...

Might I make a suggestion that it should be the relative spheres of influence of the world 'superpowers' that does that..possibly with a 'warning event' that shows up as your threat is going up.

I've now realised that a Yugoslavian game, and an Irainian game have also been ruined by that fact... :p

-------------------------------

Anyhow.

I'm liking this, it's a good comparison to the couple of Italian games I've played. My first one was a lot like this, but I went for Turkey rather than Romania first because I didn't want to fight the Soviets straight into Barbarossa and was going to open a second front with the Soviets to help keep the Soviet forces spread thin and then I could chuck a load of mountain troops down to really bog them down.

Plus I wanted to come at Suez from both sides, since Iraq/Iran all to often falls early, and if I could prop them up, they could deal with/slow down India for me.

All in all it went rather well apart from the Soviets eventually starting to beat the Germans, while my front was slowly expanding to Stalingrad. Pissed me off a bit that, in HPP the Germans 9 times out of 10 appear to loose the war with the Soviets...yes a bit more historical, but its still annoying that the 'faction leader' is the one that balls up unless your them...but then I guess its just the AI.

Japan never got off the blocks either, but then sometimes its like that...

Either way I suggest you prep up with numbers of divisions for helping with the Soviet front!

I'm surprised at the US declaring war on Italy. That decision was originally meant for when Japan went overboard, but Italy in this game is doing far better and is far more aggressive than usual :)

Last edited:
That will explain why my really enjoyable grand restoration of the Ottoman Empire failed...the way the Gurantees work it was really bad, because that put the US and Soviets at war, but I think because the Soviets are guranteed by the UK or france or somebody, that brought the allies at war against the US.

Basically it broke the game. Because the US declared war on the rest of the world, and then something screwy with the allies happened making me and the allies unable to attack one another, but still at war, while being allied together and could see each others divisions...

Might I make a suggestion that it should be the relative spheres of influence of the world 'superpowers' that does that..possibly with a 'warning event' that shows up as your threat is going up.

I've now realised that a Yugoslavian game, and an Irainian game have also been ruined by that fact... :p

-------------------------------

Anyhow.

I'm liking this, it's a good comparison to the couple of Italian games I've played. My first one was a lot like this, but I went for Turkey rather than Romania first because I didn't want to fight the Soviets straight into Barbarossa and was going to open a second front with the Soviets to help keep the Soviet forces spread thin and then I could chuck a load of mountain troops down to really bog them down.

Plus I wanted to come at Suez from both sides, since Iraq/Iran all to often falls early, and if I could prop them up, they could deal with/slow down India for me.

All in all it went rather well apart from the Soviets eventually starting to beat the Germans, while my front was slowly expanding to Stalingrad. Pissed me off a bit that, in HPP the Germans 9 times out of 10 appear to loose the war with the Soviets...yes a bit more historical, but its still annoying that the 'faction leader' is the one that balls up unless your them...but then I guess its just the AI.

Japan never got off the blocks either, but then sometimes its like that...

Either way I suggest you prep up with numbers of divisions for helping with the Soviet front!
Turkey is guaranteed by the USSR or I would have went after them. I will attack Turkey when/if the Germans launch Operation Barbarossa, but until then, I'd like to avoid having to go to war with the Soviets (especially since the Germans are busy with France right now).

I'm surprised at the US declaring war on Italy. That decision was originally meant for when Japan went overboard, but Italy in this game is doing far better and is far more aggressive than usual :)
I was, too. I wasn't going to be surprised if the UK declared war, but then I saw the USA pop up with a DOW and I was like "UH OH!!!" At least they are on the other side of the world and can't really do much for now except interdict my shipping.

Chapter 12
The Invasion of Egypt
January 19th - March 31st, 1940

With the war against Romania over with, Italy turned its attention to the deployment of new divisions. Five infantry divisions were organized into a single corps and stationed at Venice. Two garrison divisions were sent to Sardinia and Benghazi. In addition, two divisions of cavalry were deployed to former Yugoslavia, where they would be stationed in order to respond to any nationalist uprising by the peoples of Yugoslavia, Albania, Greece, or Bulgaria.

Five new infantry divisions were ordered as well as two squadrons of IMAM Ro.41 light fighters.

The month of February was largely quiet with the movement of several divisions to Libya being the only notable news. Most notably, the 2nd Armored Division was deployed from mainland Italy to Tobruk, Libya. This could only mean one thing: war with the United Kingdom (and thus British Egypt) was imminent.

War was finally declared on March 4th, 1940 as Italy officially answered the call to arms by Germany. The Kingdom of Italy was now officially at war with the Allies along with the United States of America.

Italy was now at war with the United Kingdom, the United States, France, Poland, Transjordan, Oman, Palestine, Yemen, Bhutan, India, Nepal, the Philippines, Egypt, Liberia, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Nepal, and Malaya.

Gpl82.jpg

Italy was at war with practically every nation in the world, it seemed like.

At the onset of the war, the Regia Esercito now had 312 brigades at its disposal, including 83 infantry, 77 artillery, 39 mountain, 15 marine, 14 light armored, and 13 anti-aircraft, and a single brigade of armored cars and infantry-support tanks.

The main theater of war, at least initially, would be North Africa. Mussolini, who had declared himself to be Commander-in-Chief of the whole of the Italian Armed Forces, decided that the initial target early in the war would be the valuable Suez Canal.

The Suez Canal could be captured in two ways. The riskier, but quicker, solution was to land marines at Port Said and take the canal via an amphibious operation. Obviously, this was a risky proposal and the entirety of Italy's marine forces could be wiped out of the operation failed. In addition, such an operation would put the transport vessels and their escorts in grave danger.

The other way the Suez Canal could be captured was via an overland invasion through Egypt from Libya. This would take longer, but it was much more likely to succeed and, even if it did not, Italian troops could simply retreat back into Italian Libya.

In the end, the second, less-risky option was decided upon and, as such, an invasion of Egypt would be the first objective of the war.

It should be noted that no offensive operations were planned against mainland France, French Tunisia, or French Algeria. Italy had substantial forces present in the western portion of Libya, which were more than sufficient to stymie any French offensive into Libya, but any offensive operations in the near future were ruled out. There was little strategic value to pressing westward into Tunisia and Algeria, so there was really no point in mounting an offensive there, at least at this point. Mainland France presented an interesting opportunity, but with so many Italian forces already committed to offensive operations against Egypt in North Africa, it was thought that any successful offensive operations against southern France would be improbable and, more likely, would end up in disaster, with Italian lines being shattered. This could allow France to make a push into Northern Italy. The French Alpine line along the Franco-Italian border was strong and the Alps were not exactly the kind of terrain one looks for when he wants to conduct offensive operations. As such, a defensive posture was planned along these fronts.

Immediately, Italian armor mounted a frontal assault on Ad Diffah on the first day of the war. Al Diffah would hold out for over a week, but by the 13th of March, Al Diffah had fallen and Italian armor were racing eastward, in hopes of cutting off a large contingent of British and Egyptian troops at Khalij as Sallum.

On March 15th, Italian armor reached the Mediterranean coastline at Ra's Abu Lahw, cutting off several divisions of British and Egyptian forces. The trap had been sprung.

ZRXOj.jpg

The pocket at Khalij as Sallum is created.

Within a week, the pocket had been neutralized, with some 45,000 British and Egyptian troops surrendering at Sidi Barrani on March 23rd. This was a huge blow to the British strategy to defend Egypt and the all-important Suez Canal and it would have dire consequences.

hXbT0.jpg

The collapse of the pocket cost Britain and Egypt approximately 50,000 in wounded, killed, and captured.

As the pocket was being cleared, Italian armor was racing eastward through El Alamein and eastward. In fact, by the 29th of March, Alexandria had fallen to Italian armor. The tanks which advanced into the city only met sporadic, poorly organized resistance. There appeared to be no true defense for the city. The encirclement of some 45,000 British and Egyptian troops at Sidi Barrani had apparently completely ruined any British plans for the defense of Egypt as the British colony was quickly being overrun.

Cairo was only days away by the end of March, though Italian intelligence did indicate the potential for several Egyptian divisions to be present in and around the capital city of Egypt.

nJyv2.jpg

By the end of the month, 132a Divisione "Ariete" had reached Alexandria and had occupied the Egyptian city.

The first month of war had gone perfectly for the Kingdom of Italy. The British and Egyptian border defenses had been shattered, nearly 50,000 troops had been encircled and captured, and Italian armor had reached as far as Alexandria by the end of March. Cairo was in sight, and with it, the collapse of Egypt. If Egypt collapsed, the Suez Canal would be in grave danger and it would be almost impossible for the United Kingdom to prevent Italy from taking one of the most strategic canals in all of the world.

We almost must mention the United States' entrance into the Allied Faction on March 19th. This was hardly significant as the Americans were already at war with Italy, Germany, and the rest of the Axis Faction, but the entrance into the Allies would provide the United States with a base of operations in Europe.

Finally, with Italy's entrance into the war, some French forces along the Franco-Italian border had launched some probing attacks during March. The most significant of these probing attacks was at Savigliano. The Battle of Savigliano raged from March 10th until March 27th. It would cost both sides thousands of casualties and for a brief period around March 20th, it appeared that the French attack might turn out to be a success. However, during the final week of the battle, new Italian reinforcements were called in to plug up the hole and disaster was averted. The advancing French forces were turned back and retreated back into their fortresses on the French side of the border. The Franco-Italian border was secured.

You should be able to capture Suez. It's surprisingly easy - I always get disappointed by the NA Theatre in HOI games. Usually the fighting is over by 1941, no matter which side you play.

Massive amphibious invasion in Egypt is even easier, unfortunately.

You should be able to capture Suez. It's surprisingly easy - I always get disappointed by the NA Theatre in HOI games. Usually the fighting is over by 1941, no matter which side you play.

Massive amphibious invasion in Egypt is even easier, unfortunately.
i managed to eliminate all vp's and real port/air facility's in 2 days, with nothing but 6 marine BRIGADES and 9 paratroop BRIGADES, the defenses were that weak.