• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This looks grim. I'm guessing Italy doesn't have enough boots on the ground to turn the tide, although perhaps a thrust into the Alpine Line might distract, if at all possible?
I don't really have enough troops in the theater to do that now. The Alpine Wall fortifications are basically impenetrable, though (I believe they are level 10 forts in mountainous terrain), so the only way I could mount a successful invasion would be via the sea with my marines, landing at perhaps Nice and cutting off the Alpine Line from the rest of France. This would be risky, though, and I'm not sure I'm willing to try it.

BTW it's the island of Corsica instead of Sardinia I believe, Sardinia is already Italian :p.
Yes! I said Corsica in one place of the update and then said Sardinia in the other, LOL. Whatever the case, it is fixed now. :)

I don't really have enough troops in the theater to do that now. The Alpine Wall fortifications are basically impenetrable, though (I believe they are level 10 forts in mountainous terrain), so the only way I could mount a successful invasion would be via the sea with my marines, landing at perhaps Nice and cutting off the Alpine Line from the rest of France. This would be risky, though, and I'm not sure I'm willing to try it.

France has a protected boarder with Italy and a protected boarder with Germany.

What it does not have, is a protected boarder with Switzerland. If you bring enough troops to your swiss frontier you can capture all the Swiss fortifications on your border with switzerland, so if the allies pour into switzerland you at least gained more alpine forts. That is the worst case scenario, the best case is you will have an easy way to march your land army into the heart of France and more importantly, flank the Magnoit line. I remember you built a lot of mountain troops, where are they at the moment?

Dear Adolf,

You seem to have yourself in quite a bind there with the whole Soviet, and Allies thing. I know you said you had this all under control, and that it was all Franco's fault however, when I tried to call Madrid, some guy picked up speaking english. All you have to do is give me the word, and I'll have my generals call your generals and we can get this mess all sorted.

Yours truly,
The Duce

PS- DON'T SCREW THIS UP FOR US!!!!

France has a protected boarder with Italy and a protected boarder with Germany.

What it does not have, is a protected boarder with Switzerland. If you bring enough troops to your swiss frontier you can capture all the Swiss fortifications on your border with switzerland, so if the allies pour into switzerland you at least gained more alpine forts. That is the worst case scenario, the best case is you will have an easy way to march your land army into the heart of France and more importantly, flank the Magnoit line. I remember you built a lot of mountain troops, where are they at the moment?
I hadn't thought of that, but you are right.

Anyways, I just played ahead six months and took a bunch of screenshots only to find out that they all took my desktop and not HOI3! WTF! :(

You must use the build in screen dump to get the right pictures or an 3rd part program, the windows print screen doesn't work as expected.

F10 or F11 in program afair which then goes into the screenshot folder.

I'm afraid you must replay the 6 months :(

Dear Adolf,

You seem to have yourself in quite a bind there with the whole Soviet, and Allies thing. I know you said you had this all under control, and that it was all Franco's fault however, when I tried to call Madrid, some guy picked up speaking english. All you have to do is give me the word, and I'll have my generals call your generals and we can get this mess all sorted.

Yours truly,
The Duce

PS- DON'T SCREW THIS UP FOR US!!!!
LOL, and so true!!! :D

You must use the build in screen dump to get the right pictures or an 3rd part program, the windows print screen doesn't work as expected.

F10 or F11 in program afair which then goes into the screenshot folder.

I'm afraid you must replay the 6 months :(
I was using Screenhunter and it was working fine, but then I finally installed FtM and moved Semper Fi to another folder, which seemed to be the problem. The issue does not seem to occur with Fraps, at least, but yes, the six months must be replayed.

The alpine forts are only like Lv. 4 or 5 IIRC and are fair easy to breach. Blackdown is right about Switzerland, and really you should take out the Swiss because it will screw over the Maginot Line and give you a bonus to attacking France.

However I think you lost the game overall with not supporting Franco, because for some reason if Spain does get into the war, and if South Africa is in the allies south africa dumps like all its armies there as British Expendionary, and thus sneakly bolster the allies by an entire nations worth right under you nose. Got me as Spain and France twice nearly loosing one of the game, and I've seen it happen a couple other times too! Futhermore, you let the allies get together and then you have issues like is as being witnessed, although stacking and poor AI can save you if Germany starts to push back the other way.

At the moment I'd consider planning for a German defeat, or gambling to fight back against the Allies big time.

Note: If you were to take Gibraltar with a small force, then insert you main armies into the ports in Aragon and near Barcellona then you should be able to hold the med, and by a quick capture of the Pyrenees prevent having to fight over all of Spain, which itself has like 50IC or so which just needs to be 'liberated' with some fast mobile units.

Even if you just dig in along the Pyrenees your going to remove a sizable chunk of the Allies fighting force.

The alpine forts are only like Lv. 4 or 5 IIRC and are fair easy to breach. Blackdown is right about Switzerland, and really you should take out the Swiss because it will screw over the Maginot Line and give you a bonus to attacking France.
During the six months in which I played and had my screenshots not take, I did declare war on Switzerland, but it was bloody and brutal. The forts and mountainous terrain make the invasion tough enough (even for my specialized mountain divisions), but my DOW on the Swiss made them join the Allies and, with that, many divisions of Belgian, British, and French troops flooded into Switzerland (and many of these units were actually US expeditionary forces), making it a meat-grinder. I eventually managed to defeat the Swiss after about five months of fighting, but even with that, I couldn't occupy the whole country since the Swiss government fled into exile and Allied divisions continued to make their way into Switzerland to plug up the hole.

However I think you lost the game overall with not supporting Franco, because for some reason if Spain does get into the war, and if South Africa is in the allies south africa dumps like all its armies there as British Expendionary, and thus sneakly bolster the allies by an entire nations worth right under you nose. Got me as Spain and France twice nearly loosing one of the game, and I've seen it happen a couple other times too! Futhermore, you let the allies get together and then you have issues like is as being witnessed, although stacking and poor AI can save you if Germany starts to push back the other way.

At the moment I'd consider planning for a German defeat, or gambling to fight back against the Allies big time.

Note: If you were to take Gibraltar with a small force, then insert you main armies into the ports in Aragon and near Barcellona then you should be able to hold the med, and by a quick capture of the Pyrenees prevent having to fight over all of Spain, which itself has like 50IC or so which just needs to be 'liberated' with some fast mobile units.

Even if you just dig in along the Pyrenees your going to remove a sizable chunk of the Allies fighting force.
I like your idea about an invasion of Spain. After all, that is rightful Roman land and it's quite possible that the Allies largely abandoned the peninsula after Franco was defeated.

Sorry about no updates lately. I bought FtM last week and have been fooling around with that for awhile (I may start an AAR with that eventually). However, I am still intent on finishing this and may play ahead tonight or tomorrow.

Looking forward to the next update.

I would agree with you, the Spanish invasion and then a push into France might be a good idea, if you can knock France out of the War, Germany might just be able to turn the tide of the war.

Looking forward to the next update.

I would agree with you, the Spanish invasion and then a push into France might be a good idea, if you can knock France out of the War, Germany might just be able to turn the tide of the war.
Yes, I agree. We shall see.

Sorry for no updates lately, but life has gotten hectic with final exams approaching as the end of the academic year at college approaches (my finals are in early May). I should be free on Wednesday, so perhaps I will fit in an update then.

So, apparently, in my frantic attempt to fix my checksum issue on my FtM copy of the game, I managed to delete HPP on my Semper Fi copy. No big deal, because I can re-download HPP, except that I also lost this save on the process. Blimey. :(

I have no idea how that happened as I never even knowingly touched the Semper Fi game, but apparently I did something.

Bummer. I clicked on this hoping to read a long anticipated update. I hope you start another one.

Ouch, that sucks. I enjoyed this AAR, sad to see it succumb.