• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Does that mean that the Doge must hold all the Duchy titles in the Republic? No vassal Doges? Or do you mean that there can be vassal Doges but they are always in control of one family?

I think he mean, it would be normal republics without the new functions.

Will my save games be compatible or do I need to worry about losing them?

I once landed a member of the Scottish Royal Family in order conquer a Duchy he had claim to, and I landed him with a city, which turned him into a Doge.

Were this to happen now, would he become a new family, or would the Dunkelds also have a Patrician branch?

Are those Patrician families would have historical or random COA?

I think it means the vassals will either be feudal or behave like the old Republics.

Yes. If you have a castle capital and declare independence, you will become a feudal lord.
What happens to your family in this case? Are they all removed from the republic and replaced by a different family, or does one of your relatives take over as patrician?

Also, suppose you're a feudal lord with 2 coastal counties and a duchy, one with a castle capital and one with a city capital. If you lose the castle county so you only own the city and duchy, do you become a republic?

Too bad, but okay.

Another question: Can one family be in the Patriciate of two Republics? For Exemple:
Republic A has Families 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.
Republic B has the families 11, 12, 13, 14 and 5. So family 5 is in two Republics. Would this possible to mod without problems?

And one more:
Is there a event command to change a family in the republic? So depose Family 1 as patricians and make family 6 to a new patrician family?

No and no.

Cool, so let me get this straight.. I can play as a republic for 100 years, having my family in power at some points and then I can decide that "enough is enough, I've had it with these pompous merchants in this pompous merchant republic!" and go full feudal? Awesome!

Cool, so let me get this straight.. I can play as a republic for 100 years, having my family in power at some points and then I can decide that "enough is enough, I've had it with these pompous merchants in this pompous merchant republic!" and go full feudal? Awesome!

If you like, yes. :)

No and no.

Any chance this will change sometime? Especialy the second one would be nice for the modders.

Next question:

Is there a start date with the Hanseatic League? And if yes... Which are the five families in the Hansa?

But what do you mean by THAT? If I am a vassal Doge (with a ducal title under Serene Doge) and I die, the game gives it to a random courtier or generates a new one? That would be the "normal" republican way...

That's exactly what would happen, hence I do not believe it is also possible to be a Doge you describe (i.e. it would not be playable). Unless of course you are also a Patrician of the Serene Republic in question.

Will my save games be compatible or do I need to worry about losing them?

I once landed a member of the Scottish Royal Family in order conquer a Duchy he had claim to, and I landed him with a city, which turned him into a Doge.

Were this to happen now, would he become a new family, or would the Dunkelds also have a Patrician branch?

Save games will be semi-compatible as usual. I.e. you can load them, but the balance could get upset. All republics that should be merchant republics will become so after you load an old save.

Could you provide more background about the 1.09 changes to bastardy/pregnancy? The patch log mentions that married women will now "cheat" on their husbands and claim that the child is not a bastard. How will it work? Will there be an event to find out later on that the child is a bastard?

That's exactly what would happen, hence I do not believe it is also possible to be a Doge you describe (i.e. it would not be playable). Unless of course you are also a Patrician of the Serene Republic in question.

Of course I meant if I was a Patrician. Who would have gotten or created a Doge title under a Serene Doge. The other possibility would be that this vassal Doge title will be given to my heir. That would be cool. So even if we lose the general election, we could possibly retain some of our titles.

Could you provide more background about the 1.09 changes to bastardy/pregnancy? The patch log mentions that married women will now "cheat" on their husbands and claim that the child is not a bastard. How will it work? Will there be an event to find out later on that the child is a bastard?

Better yet, if there are some pretty defining genetic difference, let's say, if the kid is black in Ireland, can you claim a kid is a bastard?

Any chance this will change sometime? Especialy the second one would be nice for the modders.

Next question:

Is there a start date with the Hanseatic League? And if yes... Which are the five families in the Hansa?

The Hanseatic League first shows up in 1227 in the historical database. The new Mongol bookmark (1241) can be a good starting point for playing them.

Their Patrician families are the von Bardewik, Vorrade, Warendorp, Lüneburg and Wittenborg dynasties.

The Hansa can also show up through events if you start playing before 1227, though then they will spawn with random Patrician families.