• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Strangelove is an ex-Nazi scientist working for the U.S. government, and his last line is "MEIN FUHRER, I CAN WALK!" though he has several suspicious outbursts before this. It's a great movie, you should watch it, and while I don't know German, I'd bet 100 gold that "Merkwurdigliebe" means "Strangelove".

Indeed it does. And I'll be following this brilliant AAR.

Doesn't "merk wurd" literally mean "dark/murky fate"?
So that's "strange"?

In a fantasy language, perhaps. But in German - no. Merkwürdig is derived from merken - to recognize and würdig - worthy. Something worthy of being recognized is strange, or at least unusual, thus the meaning. I grant you it is very odd as a last name...

I think that Merkwurdigliebe is the original surname given to Strangelove in the film, so Kubrick is the one to blame

In a fantasy language, perhaps. But in German - no. Merkwürdig is derived from merken - to recognize and würdig - worthy. Something worthy of being recognized is strange, or at least unusual, thus the meaning. I grant you it is very odd as a last name...

Oh haha I had no intention of bringing fantasy into it!
I just thought of Germanic "murky" base/origin word, whatever that is; and typical Anglo-Saxon "wyrd" which means "fate". Forgive me.

duel.jpg

Chapter III - We Have Been Through This Before

September 15, 1066
Brandenburg

As the Nazi entourage was following the soldier leading them to his master, Hitler and Goebbels began devising new plans. The time machine was broken, but Merkwürdigliebe was convinced that it could be repaired even in these archaic 11th century conditions. It would, however, require much money, power and discretion. To achieve these things they needed to seize power in Germany. Again. First on the list however would be usurping the lands of Brandenburg, and most of the trip to duke Lothar-Udo II's palace was spent discussing means to topple him. Eventually Hitler seemed to come with a plan, which the others hoped would not involve just storming the castle as he had first suggested.

He had asked the soldier to arrange a meeting with Lothar-Udo II. Knowing that the duke wouldn't meet random peasants without a good reason, Hitler had claimed he was a long lost son of a former ruler of these lands. When they arrived in the duke's palace in late afternoon, Lothar-Udo was waiting for them, leaning forward in his throne and looking troubled.

'Why is it,' he said, 'that you have been spreading stories of your supposed heritage, at the risk of your own life? Who do you think you are?'

Hitler stepped forward. 'For you see, I am the true heir of these lands, the son of duke William!'
Everyone in the room gasped. Lothar-Udo leaned further forward. A man called William had indeed ruled these lands, but he had died in battle ten years ago after which Brandenburg had passed on to his house. These were serious claims.
Hitler continued pestering the duke for several minutes, aided by Goebbels. Hitler had, in his time in 1940s, studied the history of Brandenburg and possessed information that Lothar-Udo was not aware of. Eventually the Nazi entourage managed to convince everyone in the room that Hitler was, indeed, the son of duke William. But they did not stop, and continued stressing the poor man on the throne about Hitler's claims. Eventually Speer and Goebbels also became long lost sons of former local nobility.

Lothar-Udo then straightened his back and stepped in Hitler's trap.
'Fine, then. If you truly are the son of the brave William, who fell in battle against the Slavs ten years ago, you must prove that you are worthy of your kin. Let us duel, a duel to the death!'
Hitler pretended to be shocked and insulted. 'Very well,' he said, 'but only if I can choose my own weapon.'

The duke permitted this, and stood up from his throne. From his side he drew a sword and walked towards Hitler.
'Whichever of us wins this battle shall rule these lands. Let us end this!'

Though he was no swordsman, Hitler was not concerned. You see, he had one last ace up his sleeve.

His pistol, which still had one bullet in it.

16886d74e4e39e441db90c8e4d8bd2c8c48ae55d_m.jpg

The duke was dead before he had taken one step. Without even looking at his dead opponent Hitler marched to the throne and sat down.

'Speer, bring me a list of my subordinates!'

He was now Adolf I Hitler, Duke of Brandenburg.
c3p1.jpg

Before day turned to night Hitler created excuses to revoke the titles of counts of Anhalt and Altmark and set Goebbels and Speer rule those lands. Merkwürdigliebe was to stay in Hitler's court - his job was to work on his damn machine day and night until it was ready to take them back to the future.

The trio began making preparations on ruling their new lands. Goebbels was appointed Councillor of Brandenburg while Speer's duty was to manage the economy in the post of Steward. Competent courtiers from Lothar-Udo's court were appointed to other posts. Speer was to spent his time directing tax collection while Goebbels immediately left, at his own initiative, to spread vicious rumors and lay claims on the nearby region of Lübeck, a territory independent of the Holy Roman Empire.

c3p4.jpg

A long project lay ahead of them.

I forgot that this game starts in September 15, not October 16 :D

Consider all previous mentions of October 16 retconned to Sep. 15.

Shouldn't Speer have the genius trait or something?

Just let me say I appreciate Hitler having 1 Martial.

This is looking to be a real gem of an AAR! I've enjoyed it thus far.

You should have it so that when hitler dies he is actually jumping further into the future. Play a few decades then have hitler reappear young again.

Maybe all the way through a megacampaign?

Very nice update! I would give Goebbels extra points on intrigue in my opinion;)
A good suggestion. I'll add it for the next update.
Just let me say I appreciate Hitler having 1 Martial.

This is looking to be a real gem of an AAR! I've enjoyed it thus far.
Never bring a sword to a gunfight, right ? :D
And never question people that say they have traveled a thousand years back in time, wielding strange machines that eject fire and lead!

The courtiers in a move that is certain to prevent early deaths maintain that lord Adolf gained his throne though a fair sword fight, gallantly casting down a tyrant and an impostor that was Lothar-Udo II ;)
You should have it so that when hitler dies he is actually jumping further into the future. Play a few decades then have hitler reappear young again.

Maybe all the way through a megacampaign?
I haven't considered that to be honest. I did consider always having Hitler re-use the time machine to reset his age, but I also considered that the Nazi leaders would always just reincarnate in their children :D Maybe that's a bit too silly. I suppose I should do as you said and... well, it's actually a pretty good idea. Also solves the problem with the Trio having children.

I'm glad I could help.

Also I love this AAR already. Can't go wrong with Dr. Strangelove. If only slim Pickens was there. Love the AAR and I will be following.

I don't know how good of modding you are but you could always add the item trait 'spear of destiny'. Or just add it to the story. How he brought it with him when he went back in time. Now he is immortal through time travel.

Also if you don't mind would you give me your thoughts on my newest AAR the de Marsan?

I'm glad I could help.

Also I love this AAR already. Can't go wrong with Dr. Strangelove. If only slim Pickens was there. Love the AAR and I will be following.

I don't know how good of modding you are but you could always add the item trait 'spear of destiny'. Or just add it to the story. How he brought it with him when he went back in time. Now he is immortal through time travel.

Also if you don't mind would you give me your thoughts on my newest AAR the de Marsan?

Hmm, I didn't know what you were talking about regarding the lance and looked it up. So apparently Hitler had an obsession with the lance?
Hmmh, hmmh...

Instead of getting it through time travel, what if Hitler marched to the holy land and found it the hard way? ;)

P.S. I'll comment your AAR after I read it :)

I wonder whether this AAR will retain its lightweight style or become more... Serious as you carry on ;)

Hitler you sneaky bastard! Also, are you going to give Hitler and his buddies the immortal trait so they don't die, or are you just going to play through whatever children they have?