• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Le Jones, I have noticed that twice, you mistakenly typed in "June" instead of "May".

It's almost hard to believe that this AAR hasn't even left May yet. My, what a busy month.

“South Africa has been the most vocal in its support for a peace, as you know Neville’s declaration of war last year caused uproar in their government. Australia and New Zealand are in favour, I think it may something to do with their concerns about the Pacific. Canada has been taken aback by the news, and has yet to issue any formal statement.”

So far, this AAR has consistenly reflected what I read in the "Prime Minister Halifax" story by Andrew Roberts.

Kurt_Steiner: I can't kill Trekaddict, that would kill of 20% of my regular readership!

Trekaddict, the Keith Olbermann (a news anchor on MSNBC who has an anti-Right and anti-Bush style to match Trekaddict's anti-Halifax style) of this AAR. :cool:

Both of them, of course!
The only thing I care about in the whole Amiens/Milan is: Who will prove to be the UK's new Wellington? I put my hopes to Slim, with his big hat and puffy shorts.

Alexander would be my bet, just for my posh side.

I have a backup stashed away in a secure location.

Shit. Now Peti will have to burn the whole city.:D

Nero's style, I guess.

Yes, I am the lonely supporter of Germany here. :p
Ach well.
French are nubs, they lost a war. No need to blame the brits. They lost too. :D

Well, I'm not against Germany here, just against Halifax:D

else there'll be a Paris-Anyone angry at the UK and hostile to the Reich Axis in the making all right.

A Paris-Moscow Axis perhaps? IIRC, the French Communists weren't that small a group.

A Paris-Moscow Axis perhaps? IIRC, the French Communists weren't that small a group.

and then a repeat of ww1, jsut without britain and with a strong russia. could be cool.

If Moscow appears to be the only path of resistance (and the only source of support for the French Resistance groups) then the underground will most probably go Communist (or be Communist-dominated).

If Canada and the US enter the fray soon enough, then maybe they'll look more toward La Belle Province ?

If all in the end, is solved by FDR and Stalin, Churchill isn't going to take it easy.

beta061ra5.gif

You see?:D

Eden's linking of Amiens to Milan is positively delightful, and I am intrigued by the ominous non-statement from Canada. Perhaps the new world will indeed step forth to save the old, but not as we remembered it. And those Churchill speeches? Presenting that as what-could-have-been gives Churchill a righteous fury that is hard to stop reading once you start. I give this AAR four out of four phargles, unless I can use a different phargle scale.

and then a repeat of ww1, jsut without britain and with a strong russia. could be cool.
Yep, particularly since the absence of a human participant might help make it a delightfully brutal and lengthy war.
If Moscow appears to be the only path of resistance (and the only source of support for the French Resistance groups) then the underground will most probably go Communist (or be Communist-dominated).
Then of course there's the question of whether or not old Uncle Joe wants a strong France as an ally or if he'll simply treat the French Communists similarly to the Spanish ones, hoping that they'll hurt Germany bad and themselves worse so that he can eventually roll in and set up puppet governments in both countries.
Eden's linking of Amiens to Milan is positively delightful, and I am intrigued by the ominous non-statement from Canada. Perhaps the new world will indeed step forth to save the old, but not as we remembered it.
What, by invading a collaborationist UK, set up a democratic government and then use the island as a base before liberating Europe?

I've just read through this fascinating AAR - what a horrible situation Halifax has gotten the British into!

I'm interested in the comment that South Africa supports the peace, but that South-west Africa is to be handed back to the Germans. Why, precisely, would the South Africans agree to this? If Smuts is still PM, I could see him being aghast at the terms. More likely, if the peace sees Smuts fall & Hertzog return as PM, I could see the South Africans, while endorsing the idea of an overall peace, essentially telling the British that if they want to hand over South-west Africa to the Germans, they are more than welcome to come down and make them hand it over. If the British use what is, in the minds of Hertzog & co., South African territory to buy a peace with Germany, I would have to believe it would be the end of South Africa's membership in the Empire.

Chapter 35, Downing Street, 1 June 1940

Halifax was facing uproar. As the dust settled, Churchill and Eden’s absence from the Cabinet left a gaping hole in Halifax’s Government. Oliver Stanley, dismayed at the civil war threatening to engulf the Conservatives, had been persuaded to occupy Churchill’s position as First Lord of the Admiralty, Halifax hoping that his decent performance during the war would continue in this new ministry. Horrified at the idea of allowing more Labour and Liberal politicians into cabinet, Halifax nevertheless had to find a new Secretary of State for War, a role that he envisaged would need a competent and conciliatory figure as the BEF tried to absorb the lessons from the brief conflict in France.

NewPicture3-1.png

Which is why he had invited Lord Hankey to take tea. A Minister without portfolio in Chamberlain’s government, Halifax liked what he saw when the 1st Baron Hankey, former Civil Servant with experience of both wars (though only recently in the Cabinet), arrived at Downing Street.

“Maurice, I would like to make you an offer of high office.”

Hankey squirmed unhappily. “My Lord, I am quite honoured, but I do doubt my ability to lead a Ministry.”

“Not even the War Office?”

Hankey gasped. One of the key ministries of state was being handed to a man with limited ministerial experience. Hankey sucked on his pipe, completely confused.

“My Lord, may I ask why I have been chosen?”

“Because, my dear Maurice, you act in a collegiate manner.”

Hankey blanched. Collegiate? “I’m not sure I follow your reasoning, My Lord.”

“You have sat on the most important boards and committees of the British Empire. I want that same appwoach at the War Office. We will shortly have to rebuild our Army. That will be your prime tasking.”

As Hankey, somewhat distractedly, walked away, Halifax smiled in satisfaction. He had placed his man in the War Office, a sensible, reasoned gentleman who could lead the difficult discussions that were looming in a sensible, reasoned way.

[Game Effect] – The post-treaty resignations have blown a hole in the Cabinet. Halifax has appointed Hankey to replace Eden for two reasons. Firstly, as Minister without portfolio Hankey is the one senior minister who can be moved without undue fuss. This is attractive to a wobbling administration for obvious reasons. Secondly, Hankey was the classic Civil Servant (who was elevated to the Lords): measured, agreeable, dispassionate, as well as a team-worker. That and his Great War service (Imperial War Cabinet Secretary and Cabinet Secretary for many years before becoming a minister) make him Halifax’s type of candidate. He had served, as a Captain in the Royal Marines, and had sat on just about every military committee going. With Stanley as the senior of the three military ministries, (effectively Secretary of State for Defence in all but name) Hankey will loyally serve the War Office for as long as required. Plus the fact that I find his name hilarious.

Trekaddict: Eden is cleverly setting out his alternate position to Halifax. Essentially there will be a clear choice to the Tory MPs before an election.

Eams: I don’t think Eden would have hung around. I kind of envisage him as the Michael Heseltine of 1940.

Kurt_Steiner: I couldn’t resist the Amiens comparison. The hopefuls in Britain (Eden is one of these) can look at Amiens as a temporary breather to allow Germany to be broken down (against who though?) whilst rebuilding Britain’s strength.

Eams: Alexander is the closest to Wellington in terms of background and style. Both Anglo-Irish, both famous for coolness under fire, both having to play a cool diplomatic game with allies etc. Obviously Alexander is not as perceptive as Wellington, something where Slim comes to the fore. There’s an excellent book on ‘Churchill’s Generals’ which I would recommend. Though the name of the author escapes me.

Trekaddict:
Clever, clever.

Atlantic Friend: There is dissent in France, as we shall see.

Nathan Madien: I’ve read dozens of scenarios in preparation for this AAR, some of them brilliant (and plausible) and others fairly mad. The one where the UK had a fascist uprising being the oddest.

Indeed May has been a busy month. If the readership wants me to “GET ON WITH IT” I certainly will. But the events of May 1940 set up pretty much everything in the game.

Enewald: Yes.

Kurt_Steiner: Agree with your Alexander comment. Don’t worry, he comes to the fore in the farce that is the war.

Atlantic Friend: I agonised over the fate of France, but I can honestly say the Germans do not need to pulverise the French through a crippling treaty. This leaves the way for an Axis-friendly French government.

Eams: Given the comments above, I’m not sure Das Reich would allow another Communist nation to erupt on its western flank. Given the convenient presence of the Wehrmacht any Communist movement would have had a horrendous time prevailing.

British Imperial: Agreed, an intriguing prospect. But I just don’t see the Germans letting it happen.

Atlantic Friend: FDR is still waiting for the dust to settle.

Kurt_Steiner: :rofl::rofl:

Phargle: Many thanks! As a bit of a Churchill nut I just had to weave his speeches into the madness.

Eams: Agreed, the AI is odd at the best of times. Uncle Joe will be featuring soon.

Johnny Canuck: Agree with your logic, will clarify the Commonwealth position shortly.

Hankey as Minister for War? That's almost as bad as Inskip as Minister for Defence Co-ordination, certainly they both have amusing names and I suspect will both be about as useful. Is Halifax going for a cabinet of all the tossers? Because he's making an excellent start to it. :eek:

And do why I fear the 'sensible and reasoned' discussions will involve Halifax insisting, through his new puppet, on inviting half the German army over for 'training'....

“My Lord, may I ask why I have been chosen?”

The proper answer would be: "No one else was stupid enough to do it under me, Lord Halifax.

Don't worry, mates. Once the army is "reshaped", Halifax will be shown one of the new guns and he we'll put his head into the barrel to see if it works properly without harming no one.

Alàs, it will work too good.:D

To make a man named after something that you're supposed to sneeze into the new Minister of War does hardly seem to be a good idea.
Clearly, Halifax is now ruled by the conviction that what's good for his government is automatically good for the country.

Atlantic Friend: There is dissent in France, as we shall see.

There's always simmering dissent in France, so after little things such as an invasion, the forceful ousting of a legally-elected (if rather inefficient) government and German troops occupying the country, I think dissent is a given !

Atlantic Friend: I agonised over the fate of France, but I can honestly say the Germans do not need to pulverise the French through a crippling treaty. This leaves the way for an Axis-friendly French government.

Ouch. Bad news for Britain and what's left of the Allies. Bad news for France as well. Quite logical, though : with the sudden pull-out of the BEF, leaving continental France open to invasion, the general sentiment must be like after OTL's British killing of 1,200 French sailors at Mers-el-Kebir....only a thousand times worse.

Atlantic Friend: FDR is still waiting for the dust to settle.

Then France's hopes revolve around Canada (for the non-Communists that is) ! South Africa is neutralist and (if Vorster is in power or influential) sympathetic to the Reich, and Australia/India/NZ have worries of their own in the Pacific (and so has France, come to think of it).

I know strongly-constrasted characters are always popular, with the strong showing nothing but strength and the weak showing nothing but weakness, but maybe we'll find Halifax assuming the role of Churchill. He may not look like the brightest bulb right now, but his motives are very honourable. Should that honourable man decide that there's been one broken promise too many, that his sense of honour has been offended enough, Halifax might turn into a very different character indeed, and show the same resolve in winning the war than he showed in averting it. Beware of angry British gentlemen !

I know strongly-constrasted characters are always popular, with the strong showing nothing but strength and the weak showing nothing but weakness, but maybe we'll find Halifax assuming the role of Churchill. He may not look like the brightest bulb right now, but his motives are very honourable. Should that honourable man decide that there's been one broken promise too many, that his sense of honour has been offended enough, Halifax might turn into a very different character indeed, and show the same resolve in winning the war than he showed in averting it. Beware of angry British gentlemen !

He wont. He is too scared of the devastation war would bring to even risk something like the BoB. The Bomber gets always through and that crap.