• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As I am not an anglophile, it is no treason for anyone. Only pure logic...

Not really. There's no reason to think that the Italians and the Germans will be any less imperialistic than the Brits and the French (if anything, they've both proved themselves to be more brutal in their treatment of "colonial" peoples).
And no one has any real right to own the Mediterranean, apart from the EU ;)

In Italy's case, I think the term should be neo-paleo-reactionary-imperialism-fascism.
And besides, Halifax will become a puppet controlled from Moscow after Stalin trash the Axis.

I fully agree. Kill trekaddict and forget about the rest.:D

OI! It's your continent too you know! ( in case you are from some European country ) Want to know why I hate this Halifax so much? Not because he surrendered, but rather because he condemmed the continent to Nazi opression.

Well, we had Franco for 40 years and the rest of the continent didn't seem to bother very much about it...

Well, we had Franco for 40 years and the rest of the continent didn't seem to bother very much about it...

It was only France you know. I'm talking about the rest here. ;)

ummm... france?

I was more thinking about things that must not be discussed on this forum.

Ok, let's wait for the next chapter before we get bogged down in something unrelated with this AAR...

Ok, let's wait for the next chapter before we get bogged down in something unrelated with this AAR...

Agreed. But let me say that fighting on in that situation is one of the main reasons why I am an anglophile.

Agreed. But let me say that fighting on in that situation is one of the main reasons why I am an anglophile.

Well, in that situation -that is, fighthing against Adolf- I can be even francophile.:D

Chapter 34, Downing Street, 0800, 30 May 1940

Halifax was breakfasting when Butler entered. The fallout from yesterday’s gruelling discussion of the peace treaty had taken its effect on the Prime Minister. An early riser, Halifax today had allowed himself a later start. Butler, accustomed to Halifax’s early morning regime, was taken aback.

“Apologies Rab, gwateful for you coming. I pwesme you have news.”

Butler nodded. “The French ambassador has left London.”

Halifax looked puzzled. He was tired, worn out, and had yet to finish breakfast. Butler sensed this. “He has formally, on the instructions of the French government, broken off diplomatic relations.”

That got through. Halifax immediately tensed up. “Vewy well. Was there any other comment?”

Butler nodded. “Indeed, My Lord. The French may be forced to sue for peace with Germany. Their forces have suffered a disastrous reverse just east of Paris. I think they’ve lost the heart for war.

Halifax, having extricated the British Empire, didn’t, in truth, care that much what the French did. “A very well reasoned decision. They’ve accepted the best outcome for themselves and Europe.”

“But, Sir, you do realise that this collapse of French fortune will be blamed on us? They’ll say the withdrawal of the BEF, without warning, has condemned them. I think the world will listen.”

Halifax pursed his lips. “Has there been any noise from the Dominions yet?”

“South Africa has been the most vocal in its support for a peace, as you know Neville’s declaration of war last year caused uproar in their government. Australia and New Zealand are in favour, I think it may something to do with their concerns about the Pacific. Canada has been taken aback by the news, and has yet to issue any formal statement.”

Halifax nodded, pleased with developments. “Rab, I am obliged for your efforts in this necessary work. You have my thanks.”

Butler bowed and departed. Halifax stared out at the city and thanked his God that it would be spared the slaughter already visited on so many in this war. No bombs shall ruin this nation, God willing. Finishing his breakfast he read the morning newspapers and prepared for the day ahead. However, as he read the letters page in The Times, his jar dropped.

“Sir,

As a member of the Conservative Party and Member of the Commons for Warwick and Leamington, I find it hard to remain as Secretary of State for War in a government which has so blindly negotiated its way into a dangerous agreement with Germany.

At best the Treaty of Milan will become a modern Treaty of Amiens, giving us time to rebuild our armed forces before a further confrontation with Germany may be required. Then, like today, the nation sought to remove itself from a seemingly hopeless struggle against a hostile foe across the Channel. The Prime Ministers, both in 1802 and 1940, offered colonial concessions and protestations of non-aggression in their quest for European peace. The Treaty of Milan clearly owes much to Amiens, with Malta debated, colonies traded like small change, and the dominance of one nation over the channel coast opposite Britain accepted. The British government saw itself as obtaining the best possible terms for Britain and her Empire, whilst accommodating an all-powerful European power. The former First Lord of the Admiralty, Mr Winston Churchill, was correct when he lamented our betrayal of France.

History has shown that Amiens was flawed. How will it judge the Treaty of Milan?

I remain,

R A Eden
House of Commons"

[Game Effect] - French hostility was inevitable as soon as the British Government tried to do a deal without consulting the French. Quite reasonably, the French feel utterly deserted by their allies and prepare to make their own peace with Berlin. The final terms of this Franco-German treaty will take time to be resolved – probably until after the treaty between Britain, Germany and Italy has been resolved.

The Commonwealth in 1940 was a fascinating spectrum of opinion, which will be looked at more closely post this crisis. One aspect of Britain’s disengagement with Europe will be a much more focussed attention on Colonial and Dominion affairs. Halifax, once a Viceroy of India, will probably be more at home in this environment than the uncertain, ideology based Europe.

Enter Eden into the AAR. The "pin-up" of the anti-appeasers, he was in fact far more complex than often made out. Here, he makes an interesting analogy between the temporary peace with Napoleon and this current predicament. Eden is quite clever: by not rubbishing the treaty out of hand he leaves the door open for a return to cabinet later.

El Pip: Believe me, Trekaddict's welfare is always important when writing this AAR. An update on France soon, but first I intend to look at the UK domestic scene.

Trekaddict: Have to confess, I think Halifax's approach to life is more Brideshead Revisited/Remains of the Day.

Kurt_Steiner: And who would be the Emperor?

Enewald: I'm sure the other Mediterranean nations share your view.:confused:

Trekaddict: Agreed!

Phargle: I'm glad the Churchill speeches were well received - wasn't sure whether or not to put them in. Halifax does occasionally do the right thing, and in this situation (with a helping hand from Attlee) he obviously had to call Ribbentrop. This means that the settlement with France is even more important, watch this space. Grateful for any comments you have - I suspect Musso will be incandescent.

Enewald: Again, not sure of your logic.

Eams: Agreed. But no EU, I beg you.

Enewald: God knows how it'll turn out.

Eams: A Russian triumph is by no means certain.;)

Atlantic Friend: I shall try Sir! I shall try!

Kurt_Steiner: I can't kill Trekaddict, that would kill of 20% of my regular readership!

Trekaddict: Breathe, breathe!

Kurt_Steiner: I must admit, I found that absolutely startling, agreed.

British Imperial: I'm confused too.

Enewald: Interesting take on European affairs you have.

The rats, or in this case the cats leave the sinking ship and leave the true rats behind. I'm not surprised that Eden is so vocal, but It sort of surprised me that Halifax was.

Eden is equipped with a keen sense of drama, it would seem. Hopefully he'll turn out to be like someone from Sir Henry at Rawlinson End.
And the only one here who's got the right to oppose the EU is Kurt_Steiner :p

History has shown that Amiens was flawed. How will it judge the Treaty of Milan?

If Milan = Amiens, does it mean that Halifax = Henry Addington, 1st Viscount Sidmouth?:D

William Pitt the Younger = Winnie Churchill?

Halifax, once a Viceroy of India, will probably be more at home in this environment than the uncertain, ideology based Europe.

Once a Viceroy... well, if he's more at home in that environment, we can send back to India, can't we?:D

Kurt_Steiner: And who would be the Emperor?

Palpatine will look odd with a silly moustache, I guess.

Kurt_Steiner: I can't kill Trekaddict, that would kill of 20% of my regular readership!

Indeed... I'll send my loyal pet, PetiNiebla, to stole Trekie's keyboard, then:D

And the only one here who's got the right to oppose the EU is Kurt_Steiner :p

European Union?
Europa Universalis?

:p

European Union?
Europa Universalis?

:p

Both of them, of course!
The only thing I care about in the whole Amiens/Milan is: Who will prove to be the UK's new Wellington? I put my hopes to Slim, with his big hat and puffy shorts.