• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wonderful rise to power!! A chair made of bones? Gruesome!

Thanks for the responses all. This update was a little shorter than I had wanted, so I will probably try to get another update out soon as well.

A chair of bones isn't really out of character for him though. From what I've read about him it is just the sort of thing he might have actually done. Excellent work, Machiavellian. This is just getting better and better all the time.

What are his stats anyway? And what about the rest of the Mongol leaders? Any good? :rolleyes:

nalivayko said:
What are his stats anyway? And what about the rest of the Mongol leaders? Any good? :rolleyes:
Temujin: 7 7 9
Ogadai: 6 8 8
Mongke: 7 8 8
Kublai: 8 6 8

Those are the high points for the monarchs. Leaders:
Temujin: 6 6 5 2
Ogadai: 4 5 4 1
Jebe: 5 5 4 1
Subedei: 6 6 4 0
Kublai: 5 4 3 1
Bayan: 4 5 4 1

I've played a decent bit ahead and lets just say that while I may start off a little slow, once the real wars get going, they won't really stop. Genghis Khan as a leader is amazing. Few armies can stand against him. I've made it a policy to for the most part only raise cavalry troops. Jebe, Ogedai and Subedei are really good as well, as is Shi Tiamaze or something.

Some odd glitches and events both hindered me and aided me at some points. The trick with the Mongols is not not make peace and try and let the events of inheritance and conquest kick in. But, I'll get to that in good time hopefully.

"The pleasure and joy of man lies in treading down the rebel and conquering the enemy, in tearing him up by the root, in taking from him all that he has." -- Genghis Khan​

It was not long after Temujin's revenge that he once again picked up the sword and ordered his horsemen to war. With promises of glory, wealth and new plunder, the great Khan rode westward with over 21,000 men. In early october, Genghis Khan and his army crossed the Selenga river proclaiming loudly "if this river can not check our advance, why should we not continue to grow". Even with winter closely approaching, Genghis Khan began his newest war against the forest tribes of the Oirats. Having lost an earlier war to the Kyrgiz, the Oirats found themselves eager to embrace this new Great Khan, and while those loyal to the Kyrgiz fought against the Genghis Khan and his warriors, they were defeated and subdued before the first fall of snow. Feeling both sympathy and a sort of Kinship with the Oirats, Temujin made them unto brothers and offered to them the glory that would fall on 'all the peoples of the felt tent.' Genghis Khan settled in for the winter, but it is said that he was visited by the war gods and given many visions. One snow drunk winter night, he said he saw for himself a great crown of gold and many jewels, that encircled the whole of the earth. His conquest's had only just begun.

With the mongol lands unified by Temujin, his attentions soon turned further westward towards the powerful Naiman and the declining Kyrgiz. For it was clear that they would have to also accept him as their King. Barely waiting for the winter to pass, Genghis Khan declared war against the two tribes of the Naiman on the 1st of February, 1183 A.D. according to the historical reckoning. Riding with nearly thirty five thousand warriors, the mongols swept into the Sain, overpowering all resistance. With the region of Sain thoroughly in the mongol's hands, Genghis Khan decided to fell two birds with one stone and made it clear he intended to war with the Kyrgiz as well. Splitting his forces, the great Khan struck north with fifteen thousand warriors, while Taybuga and Chila led another ten thousand each against the fierce Naiman.

The Nestorian christians of the Naiman attempted to fight back, but in both the mountains and the plains they were defeated. Cut down by the skilled horse-warriors. To their north, the Kyrgiz were all but defeated. In 1184 A.D. Genghis Khan took control of the cities Luo-Si and Ke-wo-luo-hai in the Tangut territories, even as his generals continued to wage an uncompromising war against the naiman tribes. The Kyrgiz submitted to the great Khan in february of that year and by april the two tribes of the Naiman did so as well. The last of the powerful tribes of mongolia proper were now defeated. Yet even as the blood began to dry from his mighty sword, Temujin looked farther west, towards the Altai lands just beyond the Ob river. Mongolia belonged to the Great Khan, but he was not content to settle, not yet.. perhaps not ever.

In 1184 A.D. Temujin took control over the Kyrgiz and the Naiman tribes, his gaze soon straying west towards the Altai lands.

Mongol_1184.jpg

Two months was all he gave his troops, before they once more rode out across the open land, swords gleaming and the words of war on their lips. The Altai didn't know what hit them. The mongol horde swept over their land, slaying all who resisted and quickly took control of the land, burning villages and enslaving the survivors. Many Altai fled behind their walled cities, but this only stalled the inevitable. Genghis Khan soon claimed victory and took the land for his own, forcing most of the Altai into servitude. It was Temujins opinion that the Altai were cowards and only by living in chains could they gain the fortitude and courage to one day become true mongols.

Genghis surveyed his domain and found himself unsatisfied. Some say that Genghis Khan did not even ponder stopping at this point, his food becoming the glories of war and his thirst that for blood. Yet Genghis Khan was no fool, he knew that his next challenge would either be the mighty Jin Empire or the powerful Qara-Khitai. After much thought, Genghis Khan and his general Belgutai decided that it was his duty to strike against the Uzbehk lands stolen by Yelq Zulkhu of the Qara-Khitai. Yet the time was not yet right, Journeying back to the interior of Mongolia, Genghis Khan began to set down his laws and began what became known as the years of training. For eight long years, his mongol warriors trained, practicing in minor raids east, west and south. He promoted generals and transformed the chaos of the mongol horde into an organized force of destruction obediant to his will.

The lull before the storm.

I'm sure the tempest will be magnificent :D

Just a reminder, Machiavellian: do you know that you can cross through Terra Incognita towards the southern lands? We established some land connections between some north and south provinces.

Actually I did not know this in the beginning. I figured it out a couple days ago when I was playing, but not really in the time for it to be really useful to me. But thank you for letting me know, had I not played ahead, it would have been most helpful.

Excellent - Mongols rampaging down the plains!! A wonderful image! Perhaps they will move both west and east, taking China a bit early, eh?

mongol_1190.jpg

November 6th, 1194.. the long lull before the storm came to a sudden end when two rebel Uzbehk clans slaughtered a garrison of the Qara-Khitai soldiers in their land and welcomed Temujin in as their new leader. Taking up the offer, the elders of the two clans urged Temujin to free the Uzbehk lands from the Qara-Khitai, promising that the Uzbehk would eagerly welcome him as their Khan. It was an offer the Great Khan could not refuse.

Summoning Belgutai to his side, the mongol warriors gathered in the west. Thousands of them, all eager for war and conquest. On March 1st, 1195 A.D. winter passed to give way to a cool spring and the thunder of charging steeds echoed across the plains. The mongols went to war against the Qara-Khitai. Unready for this attack, the armies of the Qara-Khitai were slow to react. Belgutai led forces south and began to lay a seige to Oskeman fortress in the province of Nura, utilizing the seige techniques recently developed during the time of training. Poisoning water supplies and cutting down food transport into the fortress. Further north, the Great Khan led his horsemen triumphantly through Irtych and Semipalatinsk, pillaging where resistance was met, but for the most part being welcomed by the oppressed Uzbehk. Turning south to inspect his general's work, Genghis Khan learned that the Qara-Khitai had finally mobilized. He stirred his troops into a hard gallop, intent on making a point.

The army of the Sultan consisted of four thousand skilled horsemen and just over ten thousand experienced soldiers of the prophet. In steady march they entered the rich province of Karsak in may with full confidence in their ability to handle this upstart barbarian. Four days after their arrival the army of Genghis Khan appeared as if out of nowhere. They struck from all sides, horse archers pummeling them with arrows again and again, before the full charge finally finished them off. Two hundred mongol warriors died in the battle of Karsek and two hundred fifteen horses. Every last man in the Sultans army either perished in combat or was executed by Genghis Khan afterwards.

Having made his point, Temujin returned to Nura in august, with the head of the Sultan's general in his hands. This encouraged the fortress to surrender. The war dragged on for another few months, though the lord of the Qara-Khitai did not again challenge Genghis' horde in open conflict. Peace was eventually made between the two forces, whereby the Sultan 'generously' gave the former Uzbehk lands of Nura, Irtych, and Semipalatinsk to Genghis Khan and his mongols, claiming that "they were too much a burden for the civilized". Genghis Khan let this slight pass, for he had achieved victory and realized that the 'civilized' kingdoms were just as weak as the tribes he had previously conquered.

Mongolia (purple) and its new neighbors the Uzbehk (orange) and Qara-Khitai (yellow)

mongol_1197.jpg

Following his war against the civilized Sultanate of Qara-Khitai, trade routes to the west were discovered by the mighty Khan. Seeking to further his knowledge and establish more influence he learned of a Grand-Prince to the west of a land known as Vladimir. After several diplomatic exchanges, Grand-Prince Vsyevolod Bolshoe Gnesdo, agreed to exchange gifts and maps with Genghis Khan, revealing to his hungry eyes all the riches and wealth of Europe. In the end, the Grand-Prince of Vladimir's greed for gold would bring to Europe the legacy of the "Flail of God".

It is unknown whether it was the riches revealed in the trade established with Vladimir or the fact that Temujin's son Ogedei was now fit to lead the mongols into battle as a general himself, but on the first day of the 13th century A.D., Genghis Khan declared the "sleep of the horsemen" at an end. All that had come before was merely a taste of the true strength of the Mongol Horde of Genghis Khan.

The lands of Europe 1197 A.D.

mongol_1197_europe.jpg

Good AAR, I'm interested to see how you play it as I just started a game as the Mongols. I'm a bit further on and have expanded more to the east so far. In a war vs XiaXia I found out there's a route from Tannalou to one of their provinces through the Terra Incognita, which I wish I'd known before I went through the Jin Empire to attack them ;)

I didn't know about the route through the Terra Incognita when I got up to the XiXia war either Imposter. I decided to merely hold off on that war and selected option b, which gave me the casus belli to deal with them later. It worked out well in the end.

Continued excellence. Europe knows not what is soon to befall them!

You may have to wait a couple days until my next update for this AAR, as I really want to do at least one for the Double Cross and the Golden Bull, before I forget about it.