• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Mediterranean Option, 1940-1941

In November 1940 the RN completed its 'island-hopping' mopping up with the conquest of Sardinia. Once more, a mixed force of regular Italian infantry and Fascist militias, surrounded by ocean and under bombardment from naval guns, provided scant resistance to an amphibious assault.

40novsardiniaae3.jpg

It is often claimed that it was the remarkable success against Italian troops which led Churchill to embark on the so-called 'Italian strategy'. As we shall see, this is only part of the picture.

By the end of 1940, Axis expansion was at a pause. British naval dominance ensured that both North Sea and Mediterranean were unsuitable for Axis offensives. The only dishes on the Axis menu were in Southern and Eastern Europe, where Hitler had carefully been building a system of alliances. Conquest and subjugation of Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Greece and then Turkey would present a very real threat of German ground troops threatening the Middle East; unless Hitler felt the gamble orf war wit hte Soviet Union worthwhile.

40noveuropeuj1.jpg

While the Axis's offensive options were limited, those for the Allies were even more so. Intelligence estimates suggested the Germans possessed 150 divisions (including 10 Panzer divisions), the Italians 50 and Hungary and Romania 50 between them. If Japan entered the war then another 150 divisions could be added, even if most of those troops were committed on the Chinese mainland.

By comparison, the Allies' total land forces were less than 100 divisions, 60 of which were British. While the Axis possessed the virtue of geographic concentration, Allied recruiting grounds and the interests they protected were strung out across the globe.

It would take years before the Allied war machines could gear up to take the Germans head-on. In the meantime, extending the alliance and tipping the hand of Russia towards the Allied cause was the most effective strategy.

Churchill came to the conclusion that there was no more effective method of undermining the Axis than the removal of the secondary player. If only the surrender of Italy could be achieved then the Axis bubble would be burst, and the USSR might join the Allies in demolishing German power.

The conquest of Italy would be no easy trick: as yet, no-one had taken on the Axis on mainland Europe and won. It also introduced the risk of a land war in Europe which the Allies were unprepared for.

However, Italy played to every British advantage - and every German disadvantage.

German success was based on mobile warfare: encirclement of enemy units by tanks. Italy presented an extremely narrow front, making armoured encirclement difficult: particularly as the rugged terrain is not best suited for Panzers, unlike France or Poland. Furthermore, British naval superiority meant that any armoured breakthrough could itself be encircled by an amphibious landing to the rear!

Allied planners were confident that the Italian front could be held against German counterattacks, at either the Alps or in the Apennine hills. An anti-Mussolini government would be set up calling for a struggle of national liberation.

In December 1940, the decision to go ahead with this ambitious plan was made and the stage set for Operation Double-Barrel, the Allied invasion of Italy.

Speed will clearly of the essence. A nice breakdown of the Royal Navy.

From my own experience, a British occupation of Italy in 1941 can be very, very difficult, regardless of naval power. Though Italy will die quickly and easily, I'm predicting that it'll only be a matter of time before the Germans overwhelm you in the north and those grey battleships are being used to cover the evacuation operation back to Sicily. But I guess for a naval based AAR, that's a good thing right?

Seems like a nice plan, as long as the Germans aren’t able to send very large forces against you I am certain it shall work out fine. The Italians are no threat to the British and on the sea you already rule, it is time to show the Axis that Britain rule on land as well.

Best of luck! It is an audacious plan and balances your strength on the seas (you should be able to get shore bombardments on most of those provinces) against the overwhelming German land superiority. Hope it works for you.

Vann

Vann the Red said:
Best of luck! It is an audacious plan and balances your strength on the seas (you should be able to get shore bombardments on most of those provinces) against the overwhelming German land superiority. Hope it works for you.

Vann

Sorry to leave this AAR in furlough again ;)

I invaded Italy and encountered the well-documented problem with Italy giving up as soon as you land, creating a neutral, unarmed Italian Social Republic under Mussolini and making Italy into an Allied puppet, with all of its divisions.

I intended to vent my frustration elsewhere and come back to the AAR but I haven't ;-) I'll get round to it soon.

Please do so! I came out of the realm of lurkers to encourage you to keep the excellent AAR going, and I know I speak for many. :)

Good to hear from you, TheLand. I look forward to the resumption of your tale.

Vann

cmon TheLand! update! if you cant find time make time! i could always sell you a time and space disrupting machine or something lol