• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Here you have the most sadomasochist of all my updates to the date. In the next one you'll have a map with the positions captured on July 1st. I didn't dare to add it now cause I feared that the server would collapse.

And yes, before anyone says it. The French part is quite small, compared to the rest. Well, French, get slaughtered and you'll get a whole onanistic chapter for you. :D (Nivelle offensive comes to mind, surely).

PS: I must confess that seeing the units slaughtered for nothing was hard to see. Never again. This battle is going to have consequences for Haig, trust me.

Last edited:
Here you have the most sadomasochist of all my updates to the date. In the next one you'll have a map with the positions captured on July 1st. I didn't dare to add it now cause I feared that the server would collapse.

And yes, before anyone says it. The French part is quite small, compared to the rest. Well, French, get slaughtered and you'll get a whole onanistic chapter four you. :D (Nivelle offensive comes to mind, surely).

PS: I must confess that seeing the units slaughtered for nothing was hard to see. Never again. This battle is going to have consequences for Haig, trust me.

Bah, let's ignore the success of our allies, give up on the attack after only one day, and sack Haig for his obvious failures (despite the successes of half his army at seizing their objectives...)

Methinks that you are being a mite precipitous in your wish to get rid of Haig...at least give him a month to make a proper arse of this campaign...

Spelling errors are okay, but this one was too good not to mention.

In another matter concerning artillery III Corps was more lucy than skilfull.

Who needs skill when you have lucy? :p

Take that, Germans!

Last edited:
Bah, let's ignore the success of our allies, give up on the attack after only one day, and sack Haig for his obvious failures (despite the successes of half his army at seizing their objectives...)
Don't speak like that! You'll get in the way of Kurty's Haig-rage. Frankly the sooner Haig is sacked, the sooner Kurty will cheer up and the sooner Britain will win the war. ;)

An impressive update about a less than impressive slaughter. Are you taking bets on who will be Haigs replacement, because I don't think the man will last long.

Don't speak like that! You'll get in the way of Kurty's Haig-rage. Frankly the sooner Haig is sacked, the sooner Kurty will cheer up and the sooner Britain will win the war. ;)

Who will you replace Haig with???! Is there anyone in 1915 who can undertake a proper offensive with the limited means available to the British army in 1915?

Who will you replace Haig with???! Is there anyone in 1915 who can undertake a proper offensive with the limited means available to the British army in 1915?
I've no idea of a realistic candidate to replace Haig, but then I'm not the man with the irrational dislike of Haig.

I'm assuming Kurtie has someone in mind or he wouldn't be so angry, but I agree damned if I can see what a new commander could do that much differently given the raw materials.

Chapter thirty-seven: Cry havoc...

mapa1-1.jpg

The Somme front after July 1st. The green dots mark the ground won by the Allied offensive.

It would a few days for Rawlinson and Haig to realise that their offensive at the Somme had cost so many casualties for so little result in exchange, and a few more until No 10. discovered what had happened. Mistakes had been made in both planning and execution, yet it was unclear why some divisions had suffered so terribly whilst others fought with success. Many corps and divisional commanders had adopted or ignored Rawlinson’s extended order advance methods and that there had been too much divergence in the methodology followed to prepare and direct the attacks. Eventually, Rawlinson recognised that the artillery was the key to success or failure of any attack.

Despite the failure, there was no chance of cancelling the offensive after the first day. Haig was bound to continue, due to the Chantilly Agreement, wheter he liked it or not. The problem was to choose what to do next. Would the British attack all along, just as Rawlinson had proposed? Or, as Haig favoured, would confine themselves to further advances in the south, the only area in which gains had been made? Or would they try to make a second attempt to obtain the commanding heights of the Thiepval Ridge? In the end, the second option prevailed.

The operations began promisingly well. On July 2, a British patrol found that the Germans had evacuated the Fricourt Salient. In short order, two of the divisions newly introduced to replace the one who had been badly trashed on July 1st, linked up behind the village and wood, shortening considerably the British line. The attempt to capture Ovilliers and La Boiselle was less successful. The new division covering the front, the 19, attacked without time neither to get used to the area nor to obtain detailed reconnaisance of the area required to acquaint the divisions with the German defences. A rushed offensive came instead, and the preliminary bombardment consisted of desultory artillery fire for only one hour.

british3.jpg

Fresh troops marching to relieve the mauled units of the frontline.
In short, the attack was a failure. The British troops advances in the village, bombing their way through the rubbles, but the numerous dug-outs in the ruins held many snipers who had to be bombed out, and soon hand grenades run out. The same happened on the flanks, and local counter attacks developed. Soon the whole 19 Division was back to within 100 yards of their start line. The cost was 1,237 men for no ground gained.

Despite this setback, Haig and Rawlinson were determined to push on. An officer who took part on the disastrous attack noted in a report the reasons for the failure:

-Insufficient preliminary reconnoisance.
-Lack of coordination between neighbouring units, thus the attacks were disjointed when they should have been simultaneous.
-Insuficient numbers of attacking troops.
-Lack of properly regulated and well timed Artillery support.

(One could add to the list attacking in a front too short, allowing the Germans to concentrate their resources into a single area)

Apparently, the top brass failed to see the wisdowm of the report and fragmented attempts to capture Contalmaison and Mametz Wood procedeed from 4 to 8 July. During this time the village was attacked on seven occassions. In all rare instances, most of the attacks were made without support on either flank and the brief bombardments which accompanied them were insuficient to subdue the machine guns. In just those four days, the fighting for Contalmaison and Mametz Wood wrecked the attackers, who suffered 2,500 casualties.

british4.jpg

British heavy guns supporting one of the attacks against Mametz Wood.

Then news came from London.Lacking the sangfroid of Rawlinson or Haig, Asquith trembled at the vision of the list of casualties and felt even worse when news kept comming from France about the renewal of the offensive and the fighting around Thiepval and Contalmaison. And as he saw that the offensive was to keep going under the same doomed tactics, the Prime Minister decided to restrict, somehow, Haig's actions. Although there are some references both in Asquith's and Haig's diary about this, those references have been not confirmed by any historian. Apparently, Asquith send a former military assistant, a colonel who had retired from the Army after the Boer War due to medical reasons, to act as a liason between Haig and London. It goes without saying that Haig wasn't pleased, as we can judge from a letter to his wife: "that bloody colonel is a real [a word which refers to "someone born out of wedlock"]. He has arrived with a dog as big as a horse, furry as a bear and that is always hungry (the dog, not the colonel). That colonel is not a gentleman! That [a word which means "a thoroughly contemptible, detestable person"] has threatened me to throw out of window if I try to prepare anything bigger that going out for a walk in the garden!".

However, by the time that the mysterious colonel arrived to France (July 13), Haig had kept attacking. In those five days, 86 battalions of the Fourth Army launched 30 attacks against the German positions. These actions were costly. Overall, Rawlinson's forces suffered 9,615 (1) casualties, which, added to the 19,568 (2) from the first day, took the total of thirteen days of operations to 29,183 (3). In exchange, the British had gained nearly 10 square milles (26 km).

Obviously, a change was in the order.

66B18EED-08C1-BA76-53697867FF95DCA4.jpg

Our misterious colonel seen in those happy days when war meant fighting warriors armed to the teeth with kiwi fruit and guava halves, although there was an obvious danger if you got in the way of a pygmy woman armed with a sharpened mango...

(1) The British (and Commonwealth) casualties of the First Day of the Somme (OTL) were 57,470.
(2) In OTL, the British (and Commonwealth) casualties suffered from 2 to 13 July were 25,000.
(3) In OTL, the total British (and Commonwealth) casualties to July 13 were 85,000.

@quaazi: I beg to differ. When the French do better than you IS a clear sign that something has gone horribly wrong!!!! I fear what the Italians may have done in their offensive... If Cadorna has done something better than Rawlinson, I'm going to go nuts.

@TheExecuter: More than half, I would say a quarter of the attacking force. See my answers to Pipy to know about Dougie's future.

@Enewald;12158317: True, the HOI3 map looks better for the job. And not having a bloody Somme was the idea...

@Nathan Madien: As the Blessed Hommer Simpson would say: Ouch!

@El Pip (1): Don't panic, but I don't want to sack good old Haig (First reason: I can't think of anyone better for the job. Monty is too young and senior :D:D:DD: and Wellington too dead...

@FlyingDutchie: He's going to last till the end. Otherwise, half of the fun would be missed.

@TheExecuter: Plummer, I would think, but I'm not so sure right now. So, in order not to spoil the brot, Haig will remain till the very end.

@El Pip (2): Neither do I, as I've already said. I agree, with the raw matherials he had, he could do little else. But the problem in the Somme was that the British army attempted to run when it hardly knew how to walk.

And I have not an irrational dislike of Haig. He just gets on my nerves with some of his irrational strategies... and the last reason, BTW: If I get Haig sacked, who I would tease? Hence my solution: to send him a very junior 'nanny' with his dog. :D

Last edited:
a former military assistant, a colonel who had retired from the Army after the Boer War due to medical reasons, to act as a liason between Haig and London. It goes without saying that Haig wasn't pleased, as we can judge from a letter to his wife: "that bloody colonel is a real [a word which refers to "someone born out of wedlock"]. He has arrived with a dog as big as a horse, furry as a bear and that is always hungry (the dog, not the colonel). That colonel is not a gentleman! That [a word which means "a thoroughly contemptible, detestable person"] has threatened me to throw out of window if I try to prepare anything bigger that going out for a walk in the garden!".
The birth of the politruk (political commissar)?

Well, one thing we can be certain, it's not Major Gonville Bromhead VC, 24th (South Wales Borderers) Regiment, he's been dead since 1892. Nor is it Colonel J.R.M. Chard VC, Royal Engineers, dead 1897. So I'm curious as to who the colonel is.

Meh, really wanted to see Haig sacked. There are still plenty of upper class twits left to ridicule ;).

Is this the start of a typical Kurtie descent into madness we wonder. While I approve of Sir Maurice Mickelwhite in charge of the British War Effort ("Stop firing those bloody machine guns at me!", ""It's a very difficult war and the only way to get through it is, we all work together as a team. And that means you do everything I say" and so on) I'm not completely convinced it's a good sign in terms of sanity. ;)

In due time, I'll make longer answers to you all, but now I feel I must clarify two points.

1) NO. This is not the beginning of a politrukisation of the British Army. Shame on you all.

2) NO. I'm not gone nuts.

3) NO. This AAR is not suffering of the usual Kurtendency to become a mad house. The unnamed colonel, which is not a Fallschirmjäger, is just a Deus ex machina to explain, in due time and in due course, why Haig, Murray et al behave the way the do.

1...2... 3?!

Darned Cardenal Ximenez...

Well, one thing we can be certain, it's not Major Gonville Bromhead VC, 24th (South Wales Borderers) Regiment, he's been dead since 1892. Nor is it Colonel J.R.M. Chard VC, Royal Engineers, dead 1897. So I'm curious as to who the colonel is.

This is HOI we are talking about. Having Zombies be in charge is situation normal.

In due time, I'll make longer answers to you all, but now I feel I must clarify two points.

1) NO. This is not the beginning of a politrukisation of the British Army. Shame on you all.

2) NO. I'm not gone nuts.

3) NO. This AAR is not suffering of the usual Kurtendency to become a mad house. The unnamed colonel, which is not a Fallschirmjäger, is just a Deus ex machina to explain, in due time and in due course, why Haig, Murray et al behave the way the do.

Don't worry, kurt. El Pip is just using one of those irregular English verbs. Such as, I have an independent mind, El Pip is eccentric and Haig is round the twist.

Chapter thirty-eight: Calvary sharpening their Swords

mapa2.jpg

The Somme front after July 14th. The blue dots mark the Allied line at the beginning of the offensive. Although the area between Hardecourt and Malt Horz Farm may look undefended, it is not so. The Germans have laid a discontinuous line made up by dugouots, shell holes and small trench lines that make quite difficult -but not impossible- any British attack there.

Once the mysterious colonel -who was not a Zombie- arrived to France, Haig and Rawlinson met to arrange a new attack. Scheduled for July 14th, it aimed at capturing the German second defensive position which ran along the crest of the ridge from Pozières, on the Albert–Bapaume road, south-east towards the villages of Guillemont and Ginchy. The objectives were the villages of Bazentin le Petit, Bazentin le Grand and Longueval, which was adjacent to Delville Wood.

Following a surprise five-minute artillery bombardment, four divisions were to attack on a front of 6,000 yards (5.5 km) before dawn at 3:25 a.m. The artillery laid down a creeping barrage, and the attacking waves pushed up close behind it in no man's land, leaving them only a short distance to cross when the barrage lifted from the German front trench. Once the breakthrough was achieved, some elements of the 2nd Indian Cavalry Division would seize High Wood. Haig wasn't quite optimistic about the plan, as he did not trust the British infantry (and some members of the staff) to be disciplined or trained enough to carry out a night attack. Suddenly, the meeting became a funny inversion of the initial stages of the planning of the First Day of the Somme, with Rawlinson suggesting further and further advances and releasing a whole calvary division through the breakthrough, while Haig tried unsuccessfully to restrain the enthusiasm of his general. It was then when the unnamed colonel called for a pause, as his dog needed to make some exercise. After asking a perplexed Rawlinson to come with him, the colonel went out with the general and the dog. What happened in that pause remains still a mistery, but Haig had some idea, as he wrote in his diary the following words: “R. got treatment number one. Poor old bugger. That dog is a killer.” Apparently, the pause helped Rawlinson to make up his mind, and he suggested that it would be wiser to forget about the cavalry action.

The attack went as planned originally: after the bombardment -by far, the heaviest weight of shell fired by the British so far for the lengh of trench attacked-, the infantry went over the top. The creeping barrage allowed the British soldiers to cross No Man's Land with light casualties, although some units suffered from the heavy fire by a few surviving machine guns. Despite of this, the entire German front system had fallen shortly after zero hour and by midday Rawlinson's troops had secured the German second line and had captured the villages of Bazentin le Petit and Longueval and Trônes Wood, but were stopped in front of Waterlot Farm. Here should have ended the attack, which had been a moderate success, so far.

Then, fate struck.

pun.jpg

Trench warfare as seen by “The Punch”.
Apparently, although the whole operation had been modified, the orders given to some squadrons of the Secunderabad Cavalry Brigade (7th Dragoon Guards and the 2nd Deccan Horse, names from a past era) were not cancelled and they charged through the weatfield betweeen High Wood and Longueval. They immediately ran into machine gun fire from Delville Wood and High Wood and were struck by an artillery barrage fired from Flers. Nevertheless, they managed to spear sixteen Germans with their lances (certainly, one of the strangest episodes in all of the fighting on the Western Front and sixteen of the unluckiest victims) before being forced to dismount and take up defensive positions. This episode cost them ten men killed and wounded and 138 horses. Thus ended cavalry participation for the rest of 1916. In the words of 2nd Lieutenant F.W. Beadle, a forward observation officer for the artillery who witnessed the charge:

It was an incredible sight, an unbelievable sight, they galloped up with their lances and with pennants flying, up the slope to High Wood and straight into it. [...] They simply galloped on through all that and horses and men were dropping on the ground, with no hope against the machine guns, because the Germans up on the ridge were firing down into the valley where the soldiers were. It was an absolute rout. A magnificent sight. Tragic.

While Haig was furious for this shameful event, Rawlinson argued that if two regiments could charge with success (one may wonder what Rawlinson meant by success... if advancing and falling back to their initial positions is a success, then July 1st was the biggest victory of the British Army ever) for 1,000 yards into unprepared German defences, a further two brigades arriving early enough could have advanced even further, taking the German positions at Longueval and Delville Wood in the rear. If Haig had reasons to dislike the idea of having Rawlinson commanding the operation, after this comment he decided to get rid of that "turbulent" general, at least partially. Thus, he had an idea.

gough_IWM.jpg

General Sir Hubert de la Poer Gough GCB, GCMG, KCVO, the eldest son of Sir Charles John Stanley Gough VC, GCB, nephew of General Sir Hugh Henry Gough, VC, and brother of Brigadier-General John Edmund Gough, VC (the only family to ever win the Victoria Cross, the highest award for bravery, three times).
On July 2, Haig relieved Rawlinson's Fourth Army of responsibility for the northern sector, and put the two northern corps of the Fourth Amy (VIII and X) under the command of General Sir Hubert Gough, and designated the Reserve Army. A veteran of the Boer War -where he had led the relief column during the siege of Ladysmith-, Gough had been the leader of the infamous Curragh Mutiny -in which a number of British Army officers said that they would rather resign rather than enforce the Government's plans to implement the Irish home rule-. A favourite of General Haig -Gough was an offensive minded cavalryman who believed in attacking at all costs-, he experienced a meteoric rise through the ranks during the war and now Haig had plans for him: Gough was to take Thiepval and Pozières.

However, Haig was puzzled. When he had stated his intention, the unnamed colonel had grinned widely and congratulated him for "the greatest idea since Harold Godwinson went for a fishing excursion..." and said no further words. That grin and the vicious smiles of the dog made him fear that something odd was to happen. However, for the moment he was to be very busy preparing the new stage of the offensive.

somme-avre-11.jpg

Bringing in German prisoners on July 14th, 1916.

By the way, my loyal Peti has made me aware of some notable losses (and nearly misses) for the British since the beginning of the war (BEWARE: Some butteflies had made a bit of changes in the fates of the following historical -and true- characters. Sometimes the butterflies are not to blame. Just my wicked sense of humour :D).

Cecil Abercrombie (1886-1915), a Scottish rugby union player and an English first-class cricketer, died on 31 May 1915 at sea during the Battle of the Channel, while serving on HMS Diamond which was sunk during the battle after a huge explosion with all hands. (1)

Rear-Admiral Sir Robert Keith Arbuthnot, 4th Baronet, KCB, MVO (1864 – 1915), died on 31 May 1915 at sea during the Battle of the Channel, while serving on HMS Diamond, in circumstances described by Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher as "a glorious but not a justifiable death" (2)

Raymond Asquith, 2nd Earl of Oxford and Asquith, MC and bar (1878 – 1936), eldest son and heir of British Prime Minister H. H. Asquith by his first wife Helen Kelsall Melland. Commander of a company of the 3rd Battalion, Grenadier Guards, was injured in the first day of the Somme and has been sent back to England. He was to return to France in time to do his bit against the Hu, though.

John Jacob Astor, 1st Baron Astor of Hevee (1866-1971), born the fourth child of William Waldorf Astor, 1st Viscount Astor. He served in the Life Guards when he was slightly injured by shrapnel during the battle of Loos. After recovering from his injuries in England, Astor was posted to India, to become, again Aide-de-Camp to Baron Hardinge, Viceroy of India (he had already fulfilled that task with Hardige between 1911 and 1914).

Horatio Pettus Mackintosh Berney-Ficklin (1892-1961). Awarded the Military Cross on June 3, Berney-Fickling became breveted Major of the 8th Battalion Norfolk Regiment, 53rd Brigade, 18th "Eastern" Division, on 1 July 1916. That very day, during the attack against the Schwaben Redoubt, he was injured by a stray bullet. For a time, Berney-Ficklin had serious troubles to sit down, but he recovered fully from his wounds.

Captain Fergus Bowes-Lyon (1889 - 1915), an older brother of Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, who will (or won't) marry Albert, Duke of York, the second son of King George V and Queen Mary. He served with the 8th Battalion, Black Watch and was killed in the opening stages of the Battle of Loos.

Rupert Brooke (1887 – 1915), poet. He was killed in a Corner of a Foreign Field in Northern France when his unit, the Royal Naval Division, was deployed in Belgium to defend the coastline.

Edward Frederick Lindley Wood, 1st Earl of Halifax, KG, GCSI, GCMG, GCIE, PC (1881– 1959) served as a Lieutenant-Colonel in 1915 of the staff of the Queen's Own Yorkshire Dragoon Yeomanry when he was wounded by German shrapnel. Back in the trenches, it is claimed that this promising officer may become aid-de-camp of General Haig. (3)

Brigadier-General John Edmund Gough, VC (1871 - 1935), Haig’s principal staff officer when Haig was given command of the newly created British First Army, he's now in England recovering from a griveous wound in the abdomen, after beign hit by a German sniper. It's hoped that he would be soon back to France (and he, along with our unnamed colonel, may cause some efect upon Haig -no harm intended to good old Lieutenant-General Launcelot Kiggelll, though).

Talbot Mercer Papineau, MC (1883– 1965), a lawyer and soldier from Quebec, Canada. In August 1914, he enlisted with Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry and was commissioned a lieutenant. He became famous through an exchange in newspapers in 1916 he argued with his cousin, the anti-imperialist nationalist leader Henri Bourassa, over support for the war and the British Empire. During the figthing of the "Black October" of 1915, he was heavily wounded and sent back to Canada.

Allan MacDonald (1892 – 1915), he joined the Australian Imperial Force and served at the Gallipoli Campaign until he died from blood poisoning.

Alfred Roberts (1892 – 1916). When World War I broke out in 1914, Roberts, "a deeply patriotic man", applied to enlist in the army five times but was rejected because of his poor eyesight. As he attempted for the sixth time, he was accepted and send to France as part of the Royal Army Medical Corps. He died on the First Day of the Somme when he was helping the wounded in the trenches under heavy enemy fire, when he was hit on the head by a stray bullet (4).

Hastings Russell (1888 – 1914). Son of Herbrand Russell, 11th Duke of Bedford, he was serving as a Lieutenant in the 10th Battalion, Middlesex Regiment, when he contracted blood poisoning by early August, died a fortnight later. His father fought in in the Great War, where he was mentioned in dispatches.

Gilbert Sackville, 8th Earl De La Warr (1869-1915). A Temporary Lieutenant with the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve, was killed in the same action that saw the death of Brooke.

James Herbert Wilson (1882–1914) a chemist who had been active in the Liberal Party and then joined the Labour Party. He was killed during the Scarborough Raid. Apparently, he was paying a inspection visit to the chemical depots of that northern seaport town when Fritz came to town... (5).

(1) Abercrombie died in OTL Jutland, but I fear that, after the trashing received on the Channel, the Kaiser is not going to risk his fleet again, so, no Jutland.
(2) Arbuthnot went with his cruiser squadron into a mad dash to attack the German battlecruiser line at Jutland and, of course, he got wiped out. Defence was destroyed in a massive magazine explosion and went down with all 903 hands aboard -Arbuthnot included.
(3) What can I say? I'm a bitch. Worse to come, no panic.
(4) I hope that there's no need to say who's got butterflied into oblivion... I know, Pippy... Halifax survives, Maggie goes AWOL for good... It's a hard life...
(5) Well, Maggie wasn't the only one to get butterfield :D:D:D:D:D Happy now, Trekkie?

@Enewald: Not in the mood, sorry.

@quaazi: No, it's the return of common sense.

@c0d5579: Time will tell. Or not...

@quaazi: Nothing so evil...

@FlingDutchie: It's curious, but I don't want to sack Haig. In part because I don't know who would replace him...

@El Pip: No, Sir Maurice is not in charge of the British War Effort. Perhaps the Britons will choose him when Asquith goes home and Lloyd Georges goes nuts trying to win the war .

@Nathan Madien: Not here. This is not gaiasabre11's French Mod 1914 Alternate History AAR (1897- ?) Les Flammes des Ténèbres and there are no zombies fooling around, trust me. I haven't invited Dr. Helen Magnus to the party, sorry.

@Davout: Darnt. My training with Sir Humphrey Appleby taught a lot about that, but I forgot...

Last edited: