The Grand "How Do I Get Immigration" Megathread (was : 1001th Immigration Thread)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Quick question as I'm launching a game with Piratini Republic and got banqueroute because of the independence war:
Does prestige (read: "an embarassing minus 200 prestige" ) count for potential immigrants?

I've never read anything tending to prove that prestige helps immigration, but I might be wrong.

Emp_Palpatine said:
Quick question as I'm launching a game with Piratini Republic and got banqueroute because of the independence war:
Does prestige (read: "an embarassing minus 200 prestige" ) count for potential immigrants?

I've never read anything tending to prove that prestige helps immigration, but I might be wrong.

I think it *might* play a factor if the game engine is computing between your negative prestige nation and another LatAm nation that is otherwise similar except has positive prestige.

I'm close to 1875, and I did not have any immigrant, and I'm still negative (-30). My plurality is around 40 (not that high, but with low prestige, I get few inventions and my early discovery of Ideological thought is still useless).

So even if it don't have any direct effect, indirect ones are real.

Ok, I'm playing as Japan with a liberal party .. tell me how hard that was.. in hopes of huge immigration.

Its 1875 and at 70 Plurity, does Asia get a negative hit or something? No immigration! I mean guess that historical accurate as Japan has almost no foreigners..

I got a tiny trickle of immigrants as Japan once, it was hard...
You seem to be doing pretty well, but the USA will steal away your immigrants unless you're lucky and they struggle.

You don't really need immigrants as Japan, though. It has a large enough native population.

Is it true that being in debt hurts your immigration potential? I don't really remember where I read it, so it may be an old version deal, but I try to avoid it.

I take the following approach to immigration, to be applied universally to all nations to achieve maximum immigrant output:

1)As said before, liberalize and raise plurality as much as possible, build factories/ensure RGO's have available jobs, raise services (except the ones that hurt economy, ick).

Party policy seems to affect the immigration, they like atheist/full citizenship policies the most.

2)I tend to use the scripted revolution events to turn the USA reactionary; this basically cuts off all US immigration and diverts it to the rest of the World.

3)Save my game and load it up as Germany, Russia, China, France, Japan; make them monarchies and randomly jump from party to party to raise their militancy. This will see a tremendous exodus from their countries to my nation, or at least allow me to see what nations are competing with me for immigrants.

4) Load up any nations who are stealing my immigrants (usually some random SA nation) and turn it reactionary.

From there on, you should be rolling in immigrants, and they will typically move wherever the latest factory is being built. As such, I try to concentrate factories in one province (harder in Revolutions, obviously) to reduce their confusion.

On colonial immigration and immigration within states: As said, you need to load up RGO's (5/5, 10/10) to the point where there are unemployed farmers and minors sitting around. They'll try finding work in whatever colony they madly decide to move to (it has to do with resources, gold and the like, sometimes at least. I don't know how much method there is to their madness in all honesty). They'll keep going to the same state(s) until you grant them statehood, at which point the appeal magically disappears.

Within your nation itself, POPs will move wherever the latest factory has been built, including farmers for some reason (or at least they used to in vanilla vicky). Go figure.

EDIT: On assimilation; America basically assimilates all POPs, including natives who were there no matter who (including mexico and canada) so long as Yankees are 50.1% of the population. Though you said certain groups of more than 10,000 may be resistant to assimilation, as is the case with other nations, America seems to assimilate them regardless.

I had a game where I, without cheating, Yankified all of North America and the Carribean 100%, simply by getting yankees to 50.1% everywhere by virtue of immigration and the occasional genocide.

It also seems like POPs with a different state religion won't assimilate unless you have atheist (and maybe secular) party policy. Not 100% on that though.

Pluralism may actually be better than atheism... correct me if I'm wrong, but no one seems sure of the religious policies affecting immigration.

And they will assimilate if you have, say, a moralist policy. It's just harder.

Im playing the Netherlands and its 1895, i want to get some immigrants flowing in, i have 2 social reforms (laissez faire government eh), liberal government, 98.1 plurality, no debts (989 pounds daily)
And ive heard that you change your idea (or how you call it, order, equality and liberty) to either liberty/equality immigrants will come in faster, is this true

And if yes, how do i chance my national idea from order to one of those two?

I've never heard of national ideas affecting immigration... not sure, though.

Dolex said:
I had a game where I, without cheating, Yankified all of North America and the Carribean 100%, simply by getting yankees to 50.1% everywhere by virtue of immigration and the occasional genocide.
[\QUOTE]

How did you simulate genocide? Also, to add my opinion to the mix. Assimilation needs to be tuned waaaaaaaay down. It's just not realistic.

Hm.. I just built some factories and turned my domestice/native population from farmers to Craftsmens and thought that i could fill the now empty farmerjobs with immigrants which i hoped would invade my country now. But when i was reading a little in this thread it seems like i should have done the other opposite? Turned my whole native population to farmers and hoped that the factories would fills with immigrant. Or will i get more immigrants now to the empty farms?

Anyway, the main question i have is.. Does immigrants works as permanent citizens?
I play as an European country, Sweden, and i do indeed get some immigrant but they seem to all disappear very quickly. I have 100-200 for a one or two months and then they're just gone and the graph for migration doesn't say anything about that they've moved to another state/province inside my country. How do i make them to stay?
I have understand that native population first seek for work in another province inside your own country when they're unemployed before they emigrate elsewhere. Is it the same for immigrants or do they prefer to move back to a country of their own culture instead of moving inside their new country?

One last question.
Can i attract non-European immigrants as an European country?
I read that it wasn't possible but if i attack and annex an non-european nation, will i get some then? Will it only be of that culture that lives in the country i annexed or will that open doors for all types of cultures?
Does it matter if i then grant state-hood to that non-European state or is it where the capital is that matters?

EDIT: Would it be possible to write an event that will increase immigration?
I'm not so familiar with events yet, but i'll learn it fast just as i did with editing in the savegames for HoI and now Victoria.
Something that during a limited time will a % of people from a certain culture or people from a certain state/country emigrate to my country if it triggers.

Last edited:
First off, excellent thread! Im learning a lot.

Second, great work on VIP. Amazing mod.

Third, as others have raised before: ASSIMILATION! I would BE FOREVER GRATEFUL to anyone who could develop a solution for ending assimilation. I love seeing the different cultures in my country in the beginning, but later on it's all just two or three because the rest have assimilated. To most Im sure assimilation doesn't matter, but one of the biggest reasons I play is to enjoy the numerous religions, cultures, and political ideaologies in the game (and one of the reasons why VIP is amazing!). But the assimilation problem always gets me down :( (Look at how diverse Texas is! *10 years later* Hey where'd they all go, all I see is Texans and Dixies now!)

Plus I never understood why African Americans assimilated into Yankee or Dixie. Technically this could happen but colloquially Yankee and Dixie have always been terms that referred to white Americans, not ethnic Americans. Anyone that disagrees need just answer one question: How many blacks in America have ever referred to themselves or their ancestors as Yankees or Dixie (Southernors)? I can't name one and I've lived in the north and the south. Anyways, just a rant! (I just don't like seeing 90% of my African American pops gone after the Civil War. And you know they all didnt go to Liberia!)

KeanoManu said:
Hm.. I just built some factories and turned my domestice/native population from farmers to Craftsmens and thought that i could fill the now empty farmerjobs with immigrants which i hoped would invade my country now. But when i was reading a little in this thread it seems like i should have done the other opposite? Turned my whole native population to farmers and hoped that the factories would fills with immigrant. Or will i get more immigrants now to the empty farms?

Open slots in factories tend to attact immigrants. So leave your farmers or build more factories. Expanding your RGO's does help to attract immigrants, though.

KeanoManu said:
Anyway, the main question i have is.. Does immigrants works as permanent citizens?
I play as an European country, Sweden, and i do indeed get some immigrant but they seem to all disappear very quickly. I have 100-200 for a one or two months and then they're just gone and the graph for migration doesn't say anything about that they've moved to another state/province inside my country. How do i make them to stay?

They are assimilating- immigrants become members of your national population after a short time. It actually helps, as those assimilated POPs work much more efficiently if they aren't assimilated.

KeanoManu said:
One last question.
Can i attract non-European immigrants as an European country?
I read that it wasn't possible but if i attack and annex an non-european nation, will i get some then? Will it only be of that culture that lives in the country i annexed or will that open doors for all types of cultures?
Does it matter if i then grant state-hood to that non-European state or is it where the capital is that matters?

OK- Immigrants in other parts of the world will never come into Europe. So if you, for example, conquered a chunk of territory in China, the Chinese still wouldn't migrate into your European holdings.

However, if you were to take a peice of land in Africa, you could attract immigrants to that state as a European nation (Namibia, Eritrea, South Africa and Lybia are good for this).

KeanoManu said:
EDIT: Would it be possible to write an event that will increase immigration?
I'm not so familiar with events yet, but i'll learn it fast just as i did with editing in the savegames for HoI and now Victoria.
Something that during a limited time will a % of people from a certain culture or people from a certain state/country emigrate to my country if it triggers.

No. You could add POPs via event, though.

Tarsus540 said:
Plus I never understood why African Americans assimilated into Yankee or Dixie. Technically this could happen but colloquially Yankee and Dixie have always been terms that referred to white Americans, not ethnic Americans. Anyone that disagrees need just answer one question: How many blacks in America have ever referred to themselves or their ancestors as Yankees or Dixie (Southernors)? I can't name one and I've lived in the north and the south. Anyways, just a rant! (I just don't like seeing 90% of my African American pops gone after the Civil War. And you know they all didnt go to Liberia!)

I agree. This annoys me too. If you add African Minor as an accepted US culture, they won't assimilate. But that's really ahistorical in the effectiveness of African workers, and you can just go into africa and make most places states immediately, which is completely rediculous.

likk9922 said:
I agree. This annoys me too. If you add African Minor as an accepted US culture, they won't assimilate. But that's really ahistorical in the effectiveness of African workers, and you can just go into africa and make most places states immediately, which is completely rediculous.
But in VIP the slaves in the USA are Afro-American, not African-Minor, so having them as an accepted culture would not make you able to conquer all african states as you say.

Garra-Ush said:
But in VIP the slaves in the USA are Afro-American, not African-Minor, so having them as an accepted culture would not make you able to conquer all african states as you say.

There should always be a distinction and difference between African-Americans and African-Minors. Afro-Americans are regarded as a seperate culture and group the same way white Americans are (instead of just Irish, English, etc.) I just find it so dumb that after the Civil War all the African-Americans disappear except in several random areas. It's like five million people just got up and left (except in this case, they changed skin color, names, titles, jobs, and became Yankee/Dixie).

Garra-Ush said:

I don't play VIP, so I wouldn't know. It's a good idea, then, to have Afro-Americans as an accepted culture, except that they weren't really accepted into American society. In game terms, they should work at a lesser capacity due to discrimination but still stay unassimilated. This just can't be done with the current game mechanics.

Quick question: If I added every culture to the accepted culture for the USA, would that end assimilation? (nevermind the other effects)