• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So...we'll never know how the war ends? :(
Or is the game already finished, just not updated?

Besides, you're talking about the wrong state, you bloody thoughtcriminals!

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

We're afraid so. Although we'll probably never finish the game fully we did play up untill the turning point of the war, the updates we will post will reveal it to you. I might write a small epilogue... in fact, that's a good idea, it should give everyone a general idea of how the story ends (we still have a few unposted story scenes which we'll post on here in the next following days). Watch this space.

The sadness I feel right now is indiscribeable. Did not expect this. Not before it ended.

This AAR and you guys inspired me to stop lurking, inspired me to do my own AARs. I'll miss this.

Would it be any trouble to release the savegames, etc. you have of your AARs once you quit for good?

Also does this mean The Great Game is cancelled?

The last epic AAR bites the dust.

----------​

Yes, it is true, my plan was to steadily decrease my activity here on the forum, which I have been doing for the last 3 months, but because of recent developments Vincent wanted to bail out altogether.
Because we are TRP it is impossible for only one of us (me) to go on for a few more weeks, only to disappear into the void as well.

No, Vincent and I talked this through more than thoroughly, and this seemed like the best decision, I'm not going to bore anyone anymore with the reasons why.
Unlike what some of you might think, we really hate it to abandon this place, we created the 5th best HoI AAR and 2 of the fastest growing AARs ever and won numerous awards.
But most importantly, I am happy that our little projects managed to inspire so many, and that a lot of people enjoyed them as much as we did making them.

All in all, this place has been really fun, in less than a year we have grown to be the most extravagant Belgian duo in AARland, and we're proud of it. :D

Don't be sad that we leave, after us there will come more and better authors, we're just happy to inspire and help the next generation.
Speaking off that, if anyone wants to continue the The Author GFX Kit project, feel free to do so.

--------------

Now it's time to clear up a few last things:

Raise the Crimson Banner, my semi personal AAR, will be finished in a somewhat uneppic fashion, I am playing through the game while taking screenshots, once achieved World Conquest, I will upload those screenshots, together with all the unfinished material and story, and a list of all the times I cheated and manipulated the game.
That's right, I keep my promises. ;)
This can be within the next month, maybe more, but it will arrive.

The Great Game (TGG) which was founded by us will have to be arranged by the other outhaars from now on, we will no longer participate, even as Hosts.

Lastly somethings I have been wanting to say for a long time now:
The Channel pact is being played on easy with 60% IC takeover, a lot of screenshots and battles have been faked, and from the moment Australia was annexed to a few months after the last update...I have been playing, as the United States of America, invader of Europe, and leader of the Alliance of the Free.

I bet you didn't see that one coming, now did you? ;):D

-Laurence Van Geyte, Totally Random Productions

Ah yes, no need to keep up appearances now :D. You might ask why, and the reason is really simple: HOI is a BROKEN PIECE OF SHIT. We beefed the AI to unrealistic levels, it whiped our fleets off the map and then sat there two years refusing to invade us. From that point, we knew only serious retooling would get the AAR back on track, so Laurence took control of the AOF and we fought an online 1v1 in secret :p. I mean, let's face it, would anyone have done any other in our situation? Else from the annexation of Australia till now the AAR would be 'And then nothing happened' :D

We've got a supersweet plan for The Channel Pact too, I just finished writing an epilogue which wraps up the entire story and sums up all the stuff that happens, along with 'what happened to?'s of all the mayor characters. I'll try getting it all up today and tomorrow. Song of Swans will also be posted today and we direct you there for all farewell chats inbetween the updates.

-Vincent

EDIT:

Indeed, I was actually surprised nobody even found out about our manipulations, every singly landing done by the USA (me) is of an army 16 divisions large (go check!), and none of the beaches were defended. Vincent took control of Germany and placed most of my troops just outside of Europe.
Personally it wasn't really fun crushing my own 100% experience super VII Panzers, but the end justifies the means, right now there are over 350 AoF divisions in Europe alone, and around 200 more in Asia, Africa, and eastern Russia.
We did it, we created the perfect challenge, the perfect war, on a broken system.

-Laurence

Last edited:
In light of recent events in our personal/scholar lives, me and Laurence have been debating whether we should shut down the AARland section of TRP. After a few days of talk, I finally decided to seal the issue, and we're officialy retiring from AARland in a few days. Before that, all Channel Pact updates we have left will be uploaded in a word doc together with more recent screenshots of our sessions, it should make for a good read. After that, TCP and RTCB will be frozen for good. We still have that miniaar written a long time ago which will be posted as 'Song of Swans - TRPs Last AAR' and fully posted in two days. After that, we're hitting the road for good. For our contributions to the 1964 mod (like GFX and such), we will remain on there albeit with very low activity. We wholeheartedly hope that Firestorm can pull his mod through, it should be an awesome game.

That's about all I have to say, you can expect some background info from Laurence when he gets back from Aalst, and if you guys want we can write a more elaborate official announcement, although this post already says all there is to say. It sucks that we won't be able to finish TCP like we had planned two years ago, but life simply is about priorities, and me and Laurence want to take TRP in a new course now. We aren't sad for this, it's too bad we have to bail out, but it was fun while it lasted :D.

Regards,
-Vincent

NJOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, now what reason is there to live.
*Picks up a gun, put it in my mouth and slowly pulling the trigger* *BLAM* *clouff* (sound when I fall off my chair)

Edit: promise to keep us updated if you do any other TRP projects, even if it doesnt have anything to do with games or computers... :)

Edit 2: please come and visit us time to time *sniff* *sniff*

Last edited:
Ah yes, no need to keep up appearances now :D. You might ask why, and the reason is really simple: HOI is a BROKEN PIECE OF SHIT. We beefed the AI to unrealistic levels, it whiped our fleets off the map and then sat there two years refusing to invade us. From that point, we knew only serious retooling would get the AAR back on track, so Laurence took control of the AOF and we fought an online 1v1 in secret :p. I mean, let's face it, would anyone have done any other in our situation? Else from the annexation of Australia till now the AAR would be 'And then nothing happened' :D

We've got a supersweet plan for The Channel Pact too, I just finished writing an epilogue which wraps up the entire story and sums up all the stuff that happens, along with 'what happened to?'s of all the mayor characters. I'll try getting it all up today and tomorrow. Song of Swans will also be posted today and we direct you there for all farewell chats inbetween the updates.

-Vincent

EDIT:

Indeed, I was actually surprised nobody even found out about our manipulations, every singly landing done by the USA (me) is of an army 16 divisions large (go check!), and none of the beaches were defended. Vincent took control of Germany and placed most of my troops just outside of Europe.
Personally it wasn't really fun crushing my own 100% experience super VII Panzers, but the end justifies the means, right now there are over 350 AoF divisions in Europe alone, and around 200 more in Asia, Africa, and eastern Russia.
We did it, we created the perfect challenge, the perfect war, on a broken system.

-Laurence

So who won our bet ?
You or Me ?
:p

Closing updates: The Second World War

45950994.jpg
Today, the course of the Second World War is an issue hotly debated among historians. Some say it was a miracle. Others it was the inevitable conclusion of systems set in motion by the end of the Great War, almost half a century earlier. It is hard to tell, for today, the men who fought that war, lead that war, won and lost it, are all gone, only their names remaining as carvings in marble monuments spread around the world, silenced voices who resonate into infinity. There is one point all historians agree on, however, and that is that Germany and the United Kingdom, upon signing the so-called ‘Channel Pact’ in 1936, altered the course of history for good.

Today, legendary words mark White Rose Tower, the parliament of the United Kingdom, as an eternal reminder to the sacrifices Germany and England had to make in order to shape the world. They were spoken by Grand Admiral De Nil in 1948, just before the Second Battle of London, in which the legendary triumvirate Stauffenberg-Rommel-Montgomery drove AOF forces out of the Empire’s capitol, setting in motion the inevitable defeat of the corrupt American alliance. These words were:
‘Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour’

91383939.jpg
President Thomas E. Dewey himself could never have foreseen the events the future held in store for the USA and it’s puppet-allies in 1947, when the war seemed allmost won: American forces were on the doorstep of Berlin, London had been taken and the greatest cities of Europe had been transformed into a nuclear wasteland. American ‘Iron Capitalism’ had brought forth a gargantuan army of 1200 fighting divisions, a warfleet of 70 functional carriers and billions of tons of military supplies. Channel Pact forces were weakened and outnumbered, and losing strength each day.

22248344.jpg
History chose to take a different course. In utmost secrecy, the intact mountain forts of Switzerland continued their groundbreaking research even on the frontlines, eventually leading to fearsome inventions that would turn the tide of the war. On March 2nd 1948, British engineers had begun large-scale production of the world’s very first supersonic fighter. The JZ-2 ‘Vendetta Wing’ was unrivalled in the air. Over six times faster than a conventional turbojet fighter and equipped with homing missiles, developed using America’s own missile corvette technology against them, the machine soon took control of the skies.

In the following months, Channel Pact forces dominated the European theatres with a bombing campaign so destructive it literally destroyed dozens of American divisions on the ground, decimating their supply lines and communications, finally breaking the will of the entrenched attackers. Soldiers attempting to flee were captured and executed, and slowly but inevitably, the American line began to crumble. Six months later, Pact forces retook London.
By 1949, Dewey’s unstable Balkan puppets had succumbed to countercoups and were overrun by German Ostfront veterans, while the last of the British Home Isles were cleared by an outnumbered defending force. Beaten and crippled, the English Force retreated across the Channel and back into the French trenches. Dewey’s humiliation was complete.

37880967.jpg
In the meanwhile, Siberian and Chinese forces rallied, smashing the weakly-supported American invasion of Korea, capturing thousands of soldiers during their blitzkrieg into the peninsula. For the second time since the Battle of the Tsutsishima Strait, Asian powers had managed to completely overrun and destroy a baffled Western enemy. On the 7th of June 1949, Chinese tanks rolled into the former Japanese Presidential palace in Seoul, where commander MacArthur of the invading forces officialy surrendered to the Channel Pact. As a gesture of mercy, Macarthur and his men were allowed to leave the continent and sail home, where the unfortunate field marshall was met by a firing platoon for his insubordination to the President.

Dewey was infuriated, and reacted in a fashion typical to him: Facing severe manpower shortages in Europe, Congress issued theBirth Duty Act, forcing every single male American from the age of 17 into the Army. With 40% of the American population already at war, it would be the last drop to flood the bucket. Massive strikes broke out all over the CONUS: From Chicago to Jacksonville, from new York to Los Angeles, the frustrated and opressed masses turned against their government, which soon resorted to bloody repression to keep it’s population in line. It turned out to be a fatal mistake.

As the government reached for arms, so did the American citizen. Violent riots broke out, as anrgy mobs ravaged the countryside and government officials were executed or imprisoned. Police stations were burned down, and it wasn’t long before everyone with even the slightest political position was afraid to go out in the open. The government responded with more violence, the citizens responded with more violence. In the south, isolated partisan groups declared the independence of the Confederacy, only barely contained by state troopers. US economy stagnated, it’s resource base dwindled, and in Europe angry partisans began taking up arms against the Americans. For months, the front in Europe remained frozen solid: American forces unable to move due to constant Pact bombardment, and German forces unable to push them back because of their lack of numbers. It was then that De Nil and Van Geyte decided they had only one means left by which to win this war. Later, it would become known as Operation Vengeance

The following events took place April 2nd, 1951, aboard the KMS Nautilus (20km off the coast of New York)

It was a dark and starry night, the sixth year of the Second World War. The sea was calm and there was little to no wind, dipping the scene in an eerie silence. Barely visible, the KMS Nautilus had surfaced 20km off the East Coast of the United States. As the lid unlocked and the crew climbed out onto the deck they could clearly see a strong blue glow in the West: New York, the greatest city of the United States.

The waves caressed the massive, black hull gently as Van Geyte and De Nil climbed onto the deck. The Field Marshall was obviously annoyed by the long voyage in this cramp vessel. He made disgruntled noises and put on his officer hat.
“So far for the startlingly modern Ballistic Submarines. I feel like bloody tuna in a can!”
The Grand Admiral was obviously more used to life on – or below – the sea. He laughed and comforted his friend with a pat on the back.
“Ah, come on Laurence, it wasn’t that bad. Besides, the view will be much better here than back on the carrier.”
“Hah! We should’ve stayed on your bloody carrier. At least there we had a little space to move. Here, I can barely take a step without walking right into the damned ocean!”
the men’s quarrel was cut short by the captain who climbed out of the tower. He approached Van Geyte and De Nil and saluted.
“Herr chancellor”
“Yes?”
The man flipped open a small watch and read the hour “It is allmost time. The submarines should be launching within minutes”
The agitated tone of the Field Marshall promptly grew neutral. He nodded
“Thank you. Keep us posted”

The Field Marshall and the Grand Admiral stood on the deck of the Nautilus, surrounded by the ship’s crew. All eyes were pointed towards the blue glow of New York at the horizon, all men silent and firmly in posture. Gently, small lights flared up at the horizon, clearly visisble through the dark night sky. For a few seconds, the lights stayed put before dislodging themselves from the black sea, flying high up into the air. The small lights kept climbing untill they penetrated the clouds, dissapearing from sight.

The captain pressed a button on his chronometer, which began counting with steady mechanical clicks. The Grand Admiral sighed, and turned towards Van Geyte
“Have you considered...” De Nil hesitated “The morality of what we are doing here?”

The Field Marshall had made up his mind long ago. He too was ethically uncomfortable with what was about to happen, but this was no time to let petty morality foil their plans.
“Millions will die tonight. I do not support mindless killing, but it is as we have said before: Only devastating force will deliver us victory. We simply cannot turn around now. We stopped being in control of this war long ago. By the way” the Field Marshall pointed to the sky, where the rockets had already begun their descent: The gleaming lights of their rocket exhausts were slowly, but inevitably descending onto the horizon.
“We can no longer change what happens tonight. We can only change what happens after this horrible war.”

“Two minutes before impact” The captain was concentrated on his watch, probably because he was afraid of what he would see at the horizon.

The Grand Admiral nodded. “Laurence... we will kill so many. I’m not sure if I will ever be able to look at myself again after tonight.”
Van Geyte grabbed him by the shoulders and spoke slowly
“Do not forget what they did to us. They killed... millions... in Europe. We have to stop these raving madmen. The means justify the cause.”
“One minute”

“I guess you are right” The Grand Admiral took Van Geyte’s hands off his shoulders. “But I am not a murderer Laurence. All I want right now is to be with my wife, to be home. I’ve been away from home for allmost two years now, fighting this bloody war.”
“Home...” The Field Marshall looked hurt “I have no home. My home was destroyed long ago.”
“Thirty seconds”

“You never got over Nadia did you?”
The Field Marshall looked at his shoes, sighing. “I don’t think I ever will”
“Fifteen seconds”
“Remember that we are allways there for you. As we have allways been. Reshape the world with me, Laurence. Because together, we can.” The Field Marshall looked up
“A new world. A united world”
“Five seconds” The men’s chests pounded with anxiety, as everyone put on their goggles.
“Four”
“Three” A cold breeze chilled the men on the deck to the bone
“Two”
“One” The Grand Admiral could not resist to say a small prayer. Humbly, he glanced at the starry sky which seemed to blaze at him with anger, and whispered “I am sorry”

“Impact”

Within seconds, the dark sky was lit up like the dawn of a thousand suns. From the horizon, monumental pillars of pure white light pierced through the heavens, as if the world itself had erupted into pure energy. These were no ordinary bombs. These were world eaters, manifestations of pure might. Even through thick darkened goggles, the men had to pinch their eyes together in order to avoid being completely blinded. The hellish white light grafted into their faces, their shadows burning pure stripes of black into the ship’s hull. The sky, the stars and the clouds seemed to swirl into dust as the bombs exploded. Like a gracious celestial ballet, the very atmosphere pulsed around them, light and darkness switching positions like the flick of a switch. The shockwave shook the earth, as the men on the ship held onto the deck of the rocking submarine, the seas turned feral by the airburst. The sound was that of pure destruction, a horrifying rumble that deafened the ears and stunned the senses. They had become death, the destroyer of worlds.

That’s when the firestorms erupted. From nothing, massive fires broke from underneath the earth’s surface, setting the entire horizon ablaze, thick black smoke plummeting above what used to be the United States. Even 25 kilometres away from the explosion, the men could feel the searing heat, as a sudden gale knocked many of the men off their feet. And then they saw the clouds.

An odd grey cloud, shaped like an enormous mushroom formed above what used to be New York, while more were visible far away. They grew at amazing rate, reaching hundreds of miles into the sky, filling the horizon with their ghastly onsight. Like gracious monuments of death, they rose above the cities, proclaiming a clear message to the Alliance of the free: The Channel Pact was undefeatable. Their demise was inevitable.

The men swallowed as the sky began darkening again. Some made faint attempts at scrambling back onto their feet, many did not bother and lied down, their legs limp after the shock of the detonation. Still flinching from the blow, Laurence took off his goggles and looked at the clouds.His voice was hoarse.
“This is how America dies”

This is part 1/3 of the epilogue I have written which will explain the entire course of the story up to the end. 2 and 3 will be posted tomorrow or the day after along with all story scenes that aren't in the manuscript yet. Have you guys read the scene where one of the Ironsides dies? It's a big story point. After all this stuff is done, we're out, but expect us to be around for at least another day or three to finish everything. As you can see our sig is going into retirment mode, the link in it will lead to our inkwell which will serve as an archive to our previous works.

-Vincent

We did. Our bet was that the AI would beat us. It did not, seeing as Laurence was playing and not the AI :D

Damn ... oh well. I expect to be in the epilogue as a Canadian Commander - per the bet. I'd also like to request that you compile this AAR in a file where it may be read at leisure. Might be something I'll pass down as one of the most epic stories I have ever read.

Now my Friends, go forth and always live by three words ...

Prepare For Glory​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.