• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is Blum in France?

If so, then Britain supporting the Nationalists would end any friendship between the two nations and probably allied unity. Without having to please Britain and with a weakened Italy, France would probably intervene with a good result for the republicans, but bad ones for France domestically.

However, in the beginning, Churchill support the Nationalists so something of that sort would be possible, just terrible and catastrophic for allied unity. However, I doubt Churchill will want to be on the same side as Musso and Hitler. I'd say they're going to wait and see how it turns out in the beginning and support whomever they think will win.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hey, that's only half an update... you left the ending off. Being far too nice and considerate of your readership, you'd never deliberately leave us hanging... would you?!?

[Puppy dog eyes] :( [/Puppy dog eyes]

Say it ain't so Pippy...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Karelian - Trouble was the general idea. Things have been going far too well for Britain so far, there had to be some balancing bad.

Fulcrumvale - Woot!

Baneslave - This has been a succesful update in foreshadowing trouble to the readers. Excellent.

GeneralHannibal - Blum is still in France but paying the political price for not getting involved over Abyssinia. As for getting involved in Spain, well its possible but never forget the Germans lurking over the border. Still at least there's a demilitarised Rhineland as a buffer.....

As for Churchilll waiting and seeing. Can you honestly see him doing that? :)

Duritz - Some authors leave a ending like that and it's called a cliff-hanger. There is speculation and discussion as people wonder whats happening next. I do it and it's called a half finished update.

*mutter* Don't know why I bother... kids these days... when I was a lad.... 27hours a day down tut mine... paid mine owner for privilege of working there... *mutter*

:D

Reactions:
Well, that certainly whetted my appetite for more. Of course the third option would be to take both sides out and install a more reasonable government in Spain. Hard to imagine the public having the stomach for that especially with party meetings going on behind Churchill's back.

Vann

• 1Like
Reactions:
El Pip said:
*mutter* Don't know why I bother... kids these days... when I was a lad.... 27hours a day down tut mine... paid mine owner for privilege of working there... *mutter*

:D
Luxury!!
We used ta afta clean t'rooooad wi'our tungs, and after we got 'ome, if we 'ad an 'ome, dad would send us ta sleep by beatin' us wivvin an inch of aar liiife!

Try an' tell that t'kids todaaaay, thi woon't b'lieve ya! :rolleyes:

Great update pip! Perhaps Churchill will be gripped by an insatiable burst of derring-do! Whatever happens though, without a doubt there'll be skull-duggery aplenty, not to mention chicanery and general hullabaloo....spanish style! Que, Que!!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Great update El Pip. Some difficult decisions up ahead for Mr Churchill, the consequences of which could be very interesting and which could leave the continent looking very hostile. Anyway keep up the great writing El Pip, I’m on the edge of my seat waiting for the next update already. :)

Haarken

Reactions:
El Pip said:
GeneralHannibal - Blum is still in France but paying the political price for not getting involved over Abyssinia. As for getting involved in Spain, well its possible but never forget the Germans lurking over the border. Still at least there's a demilitarised Rhineland as a buffer.....

As for Churchilll waiting and seeing. Can you honestly see him doing that? :)

That was Sarrout though. He actually supported action against the Germans when the reoccupied the Rhineland, but his cabinet (I.E. the military heads) shut Flandin and him down. Blum was elected in may IIRC, so he could blame that on Sarrout. And also the leftists would be afraid of losing another opportunity for action. France should intervene, as Germany (with a small army) is much less scary that Germany (that's militarized the Rhineland) and Italy together.

Reactions:
GeneralHannibal said:
That was Sarrout though. He actually supported action against the Germans when the reoccupied the Rhineland, but his cabinet (I.E. the military heads) shut Flandin and him down. Blum was elected in may IIRC, so he could blame that on Sarrout. And also the leftists would be afraid of losing another opportunity for action. France should intervene, as Germany (with a small army) is much less scary that Germany (that's militarized the Rhineland) and Italy together.

Ahhh speculation and comment on AAR. This must be what real writers experience all the time. To explain the position as I see it;

Sarraut AND Blum are both, along with many others, paying the price for Frances non-involvement. Sarraut because he made the decision and Blum and the rest of the French Popular Front for supporting that decision. As you say the election is set for late May, formal handover of office early June, but who is to say it will go historically? Many things can change in the next month.

While the leftists will be more active in pushing for intervention but I think your underestimating the worries many had about the Germans. Look at efforts like the Stresa Front, the Little Entente in Eastern Europe and various attempts to ally with the USSR to "surround Germany". We're dealing with very deep seated concerns.

Of course its not my strongest field but that's how I understand it.

Reactions:
El Pip said:
Ahhh speculation and comment on AAR. This must be what real writers experience all the time. To explain the position as I see it;

Sarraut AND Blum are both, along with many others, paying the price for Frances non-involvement. Sarraut because he made the decision and Blum and the rest of the French Popular Front for supporting that decision. As you say the election is set for late May, formal handover of office early June, but who is to say it will go historically? Many things can change in the next month.

While the leftists will be more active in pushing for intervention but I think your underestimating the worries many had about the Germans. Look at efforts like the Stresa Front, the Little Entente in Eastern Europe and various attempts to ally with the USSR to "surround Germany". We're dealing with very deep seated concerns.

Of course its not my strongest field but that's how I understand it.

I doubt the popular front would take part of the backlash, because at the time, the rightists was for the most part pretty pacifist. It would probably hurt both sides equally, or actually help Blum (as you haven't actually said who supported what in canon ;)) due to the loss of French gains in Africa. The right could be blamed for being friendly with Musso, and viola, an interventionist France :D.

If Laval (scum of a man) wins, then I could see Churchill and him supporting the Nationalists. But hopefully he won't win. I'm no expert in the subject either, but I'm very interested in it as I recently read Hugh Tomas' The Spanish Civil War and The Greatest Betrayal: A Tale of Munich (forgot the author) as well as parts of Telford Taylor's Munich: The Price of Peace (mainly on pre-1937 actions).

The precise seats and voting (taken from the book) was 5,628,921 votes and 378 seats for the Popular Front and 4,218,345 votes and 220 seats for their opponents (mostly united into The Nation Front except for odd ones like Paul Renauld and co.). Looking at those voting records, it will take a fair amount of unpopularity for Blum and co. to lose.

Reactions:
well i finally get to post after reading at most a page a day for a good while!!

I found coming back to this aar a bit like (depending on your taste) finding an old and loyal jazz mag under your bed, finding a 10 quid note in trousers you were just going to wash - or perhaps even waking early and getting ready to go to work when you notice it's a saturday!!

anyways great updatery as usual pip, and i feel my brain being pleasantly exercised as i think of all the what-ifs your story gives us.

• 1Like
Reactions:
But with the Brits mauling Italy and on a war footing throughout the Med, could the Nationalists even hope to prevail?

All it would take would be a single line of warships off the Gibraltar coast, and bang goes the rebellion.

I would think that before the Brits could even come up with a plan, Franco's men would be hat in hand outside the closest consulate, explaining how they would very much like to sign a number of very lucrative deals with Britain, wipe out the Stalinists in Catalonia, and help re-establish democratic government in order to join the Allies in wiping out Italian fascism.

• 1Like
Reactions:
El Pip said:
In an anonymous office in the heart of the palace of Westminster Stanley Baldwin and Samuel Hoare were putting a proposal to Sir Hugh O'Neill, chairman of the Conservative 1922 Committee.

Can't wait to see what comes of this. Great updade to a great AAR.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Feedback, woot!

GeneralHannibal - A well reasoned and thorough analysis. However to reply in any meaningful way I would have to give away plot, which I am loathe to do. Thus I will say; A. The voting wont be historic because B. Plenty of time will the elections yet. ;)

Funkatronica - A man/woman/thing/space-being/whatever who appreciates what-ifs. Not enough of those in my opinion, but then I am biased as I'm writing one big what-if. :) Plenty more options to chew on in the next update I assure you.

Prufrock451 - Thus you encapsulate the problem, forceful and/or committed British intervention would decide the conflict either way. The problem is which side, the Popular Front were too left wing, the army too violent and possibly fascist. As for Franco making an offer, close but no.

Funkatronica - You may request, but you wont necessarily get. :p

caffran - I refer you to the previous answer.

RAFspeak - Wilson will need something cleverer than a handgun to get out of this one.

Baneslave - OK! OK!

Gigalocus - Then you shall have the same answer; OK! OK! (No promises on when mind ;) )

son of fire - Ahhh you have noticed the kicker at the end. It will not be left unresolved I assure you.

Thank you all for the messages and demands for updates, the support helps a great deal. Updates is about half done but might sneak it out tonight, if your lucky.

Reactions: