• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ahh good times! Definitely some good smilies enjoyed by all in this one.

And a united Erie in 800?! Are you sure that's correct? ;)

I obviously missed the Knytling joke. I know the family name, I just have no clue why the genius remark is funny :p

For the rest, hail the Roman Empire! :D

Good stuff, I like the way you try to blend the narratives. Looking forward to the next update.

Veldmaarschalk: Thank you!

J. Passepartout: Funny how small things like that crop up. :D I'm assuming it's in England?

Chief Ragusa: Stanford Bridge and so on I actually did know about thanks to a choose your own adventure style book from when I was a kid. Real Life Gamebooks I think the series was called. One dealt with the French Revolution where you played the only son of an aristocratic family and had to choose between the revolutionary cause or the king's side, the other with the 1066 question, where you played a Norman official in the English court and had to decide between Harold and William. So in that case it was a deliberate glossing.

Fulcrumvale: I couldn't resist the homage op.

Rocketman :D

Llywelyn: Oh, I know her ancestry already and it'll be an angle I'll enjoy introducing. And hairy isn't so bad. Sometimes the follicles just go on a rampage. Or something like that. :D

Ghostwriter: Yeah I know there's a lot of closet Romans on this board so I just had to include it, even though I prefer Catholicism to Orthodoxy, which is why I never play in the Empire or in Russia. Oddly enough I'm not Catholic or even Christian. It's quite peculiar.

canadiancreed: Indeed, good times! And the map was quite clearly made by an anglophile. :D

Avernite: See cc's link. And it'll be interesting seeing how the votes tally up as to where to play. I know whatever purple piece I pick will procure a portion of votes.

JimboIX: Thanks! :) It's a tightrope to walk and I know right now the lecture side of things is getting much more play than the romance line, but that's because I prefer to gradually work the latter in building it up if that makes any sense. All I had yesterday was a peanut butter sandwich and that was at 11 pm so I'm a little discombobulated right now. :p

Walter Model: :D

Rocketman: Usupery surrounding the Byzantine Empire? Noooooo. ;)

J. Passepartout said:
Nah, USA.

Interesting. :)

Oh and guys, this AAR will still continue, but it may be long stretches of time before it's updated, simply because I'm feeling the school crunch already and this feels like I'm adding to it.

I hate Wednesdays.

There isn't that afterglow of the weekend still on you and it's still a long ways to the next weekend.

But this Wednesday I didn't mind, because there she was in a white skirt and shirt, appropriately autumnal orange sweater draped over her shoulders. To be honest, it was more of a pale sherbet orange and it got me to thinking about another kind of cream I wanted to eat.

My private and tasty daydreams were interrupted by the arrival of a nondescript, chunky woman with short grey hair, the kind that would've been a libriarian if she hadn't become a secretary. In her hand was a goldenrod sheet and I smiled, because I knew what was coming.

"I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to post this earlier, but Professor Morengay is absent today with the flu, so you will be not having class this morning."

Chatter began amongst the students that knew each other as everyone began packing up their stuff. The girl was swift about it and heading for the door right after the bearded guy who sat in the front row in the middle.

I quickly gathered my backpack in hand and darted after her.

"Hey, wait up!"

She stopped and turned.

I gave her my famous girlslaying smile.

Her face didn't change from its icy demeanor.

"My name's Nick."

"I'm Melody." Still frosty, but with a little more warmth.

I smiled more mutedly then and nodded, "Cool to meet you. Listen, I just wanted to let you know that if you're not doing anything this weekend, I and my fraternity brothers have a party going on at our house. We're the big blue and orange house, third one in Fraternity Row if you're coming at it from campus side."

"...Maybe. I'll think about it." Did nothing melt her? I've known some frigid girls in my lifetime and broken through more than a few, but she was sheer ice.

And it was beautiful. Like she had this whole world inside of her that was better than anything else in real life and you had to prove yourself worthy of being let in. There was a mysteriousness about her that I couldn't solve, a puzzle of who she really was that fascinated me, who could read just any woman after an hour's conversation.

"Okay, cool. See you Friday in any case."

I waved and nonchalantly walked off. When I glanced back, she was already gone, lost in the crowd of students bursting in a stream of people from the doors of our History room.

I'd never had a Friday so charged with anticipation, not even in high school during a certain Homecoming...

But that's a dusty story, belonging to an amateur past.

This was now, all childishness gone.

This was a real dream, the kind that can change your whole life.

Nick made contact. Good for him. Not sure that the frat party invite was the best possible move, but still, there's hope for the boy yet.

It took the frat boy over a week to make contact with a hot girl. My belief is suspended til further notice. Nice AAR anyways, though the history is making my headache worse (and I like euro history too!)

With his reputation, if he'd approached her earlier or not invited her to a group event, he'd have have gotten nowhere. She may not go, he's still got to negotiate Friday.

Notice that there were no jokes about or around her name. One imagines that she gets that a lot.

I hope the life changing event is something very unexpected. :cool:

Last edited:
Chief Ragusa said:
I hope the life changing event is something very unexpected.

Like plague! :cool:
j.

EDIT: Only, now that's expected, so it needs to be something else...
Giant radioactive lizard, maybe?

I want to hear about homecoming too :(

Ah, well, my suspicion is that our musical sweetheart [oops] is not big on frat boys and kegs. Perhaps an informal seminar on Kant with drinks could have been suggested?

I have something of a suspicion that a frat party might not be the best place for a romantic outing with Melody. ;)

I'm hoping this hasn't been abandoned.

Also I'm thinking one of two things happens:
1. She doesn't go, and just wanted him to go away when she said he might
2. She turns out to be a totally out of control party girl, but only on the weekends