• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Glad to see that you finally inheritted France. I take it that it will be a while before you inherit Aragon also. Hopefully you can destroy the power of Castile. It is just a shame that the province integraty is not much affected by release vassals as Castille holds most of spain uncontested.

Just finished reading this ARR, looks amazing and I'm looking forward to the next update ;D

Hidden Legend: Yeah, sending them to go die in Spain was a great plan. :)

Julius.R: Thank you!

Enewald: That comes in the future. :)

Chapter 11: Kicking Castille while they are down

December 1, 1466: We lose the effects of overextension, and gain our Claim the Throne CB on Provence.

The party in Castille starts with Burgos, Viscaya, and Cantabria falling to quick assaults. With the AI preferring to keep armies together, it's sometimes good to get a few assaults in before their armies show up. In this case, 26 Castillian regiments are besieging Granada.
p11granada.png

December 31: We hire a 4 star Commandant. 8% more death, destruction, and mayhem!

January 1, 1467: A new year. Government 11. A new idea. Espionage. Spies!!! (since Free Trade = 0 spies).

February 8: Granada is forced to cede Almeria and become a vassal of Castille. This means that we will soon actually see armies.

April 22: Nemours becomes Burgundian.

August 1: The first Castillian army shows up, having lost over 1/3rd of their provinces already. Luckily, they stop in a province that Portugal has taken, giving me some time.
p11castilleshowsup.png

September 1: Provence declares war on Orleans, for the second time. Again, they manage to lose against the OPM.

October 4: Leon falls to assault.

February 11, 1468: Sicily warns us 10 days after losing excommunication.

April 17: Madrid falls to assault, allowing the Barrois armies to go attack the Castillian armies.

September 1: A Barrois army attacks from Salamanca while the other attacks from Madrid, forcing the Castillians to retreat from Caceres.
p11boifcaceres.png

September 23: The Barrois armies crush the Castillians at Badajoz, forcing them to flee further south.
p11boifcaceres.png

October 1: Smelling blood, the Ottomans declare war on Castille.

October 15: 7000 more Castillians fall outside Cordoba, while Bar loses barely over 1000.

October 29: The Castillian army surrenders at Badajoz.

December 21: Castille white peaces with Portugal.

February 1, 1469: Patriot Rebels are incited in Provence, but they are eventually beaten down after a year of desperate fighting.

April, 1470: Another round of patriot rebels fall before they can return our rightful provinces to us.

January 21, 1471: Castille ends the vassalization of Granada, is forced to release Fez, Morea, and Galicia, annuls some treaties, and pays 100 ducats in reparations to Bar.
p11castillepeace.png

January 23: General Claude de Saint Espirit dies. 2 #$%#@^$ing days!

August 31, 1470: Generation of Cowards event. -10% discipline sucks.

August 8, 1471: Granada is excommunicated.

October 10: Holland cedes Zeeland to Portugal, giving us a border with Portugal now.

April 1, 1472: Hainaut, Vlaandern, Luxemburg, and Valenciennes core. Madrid and Toledo fall to heretics, while Tangiers and Ceuta fall to Fez Nationalists.

May 24: The Hansa annexes Magdeburg. The Hansa is now a 6 province mini-blob in Northern Germany.

June 7: Vermandois assimilates.

November 1: Castille collapses, causing the last of her African holdings to defect to Fez.

December 20: Portugal forces Provence to cede Morbihan and release Berry. This puts another nation in France, that we can't yet throw out.

January 21, 1473: Castille declares war on Granada.

July 1: Another round of patriot rebels is funded in Provence.

October 11: Castille vassalizes Granada again, and takes Gibraltar back. Castille then revokes Granada's excommunication.

April 1, 1474: Land 11: Galloglaigh infantry. We upgrade.

June 3: Provence collapses to our rebels, giving us Poitou and Anjou. The rebels were necessary since Provence is in GB's sphere of influence, they have twice my army, and 10x my navy.
p11provencalrebels.png

August 1: Burgundy declares war on Bourbonnais, right as the rebels get close to taking them down. Burgundy promptly wipes out my rebels. 7 months later, Bourbonnais is annexed...only for Savoy to take Franche-Comte a week later. Karma's a bitch.

March 12, 1475: Brabant becomes our new National Focus.

March 19: Castille declares war on Galicia. We go help our new ally.

November 13: Galicia is annexed. However, Castille is no match for us (again). Their armies lose every battle...it's just a matter of time.

February 1, 1476: 4 more cores, now in Italy.

April 27: Provence's ruler dies, and the dreaded succession war with Austria begins!

August: Paris assimilates to Burgundian.

September 1: Theobald III reaches majority, although only in age, not in ability.
p11theobaldiii.png

March 6, 1477: Castille renounces cores, re-releases Galicia, annuls treaties, and gives her treasury to Bar again, freeing our armies to go punk Austria. In response, Castille has the ruler of Galicia excommunicated.

April 15: The Austrian campaign starts off well, with a 3 regiment Austrian army forced to surrender in Konstanz, opening up Austria's western holdings to sieges.

June 19: The Austrian army invading Bavaria is crushed by a combined force from Bar and Bavaria.
p11bofmunchen.png

November 23: Austria signs a white peace with Bavaria after being forcibly ejected by Barrois armies.

January 28, 1478: A large Austrian army surrenders at Karnten.
p11bofkarnten.png

August 9: 16 regiments of the Barrois army are nearly wiped out in Slavonia while chasing down the remaining Austrian doomstack. They are wiped out for good in Steiermark the next month.
p11bofsteiermark.png

October 1: Slider move to Quality. Spies are sent to Genoa to stir up rebels, but the Milanese army crushes them.

April 20, 1479: Trent falls to siege, marking the first province to fall in Austria. While Austria has managed to keep their final army alive, the Barrois armies are keeping it penned in and small.

July 1: The Austrian army surrenders at Steiermark. A week later, Austria accepts the union between Bar and Provence, and pays 100 ducats. While the union is not as important now that Provence is an OPM again, it does prevent Austria from gaining a foothold in France, which already has enough nations.
p11austriapeace.png

Which terms do you want to know about?

BTW: Infamy is the new name for badboy.

Well maybe I little overstated about not knowing about infamy and royal marriage. But there are plenty of thing I don't understand in this game, which I will not start to list as I don't want to mess your AAR with "noob" questions.

You are The Austria of this game's timeline. That is, you are expanding largely through marrying the right people and inheriting their thrones, With a healthy amount of skullcracking as well of course(similiar to Austria's conquest of Hungary)

Chapter 12: Time for Castille to pay

August 11, 1479: Despite temporarily having no infamy, we use cultural tradition to hire a 6 star diplomat.

February 5, 1480: We move our armies into place, and cancel the alliance with Galicia.

March 7: Declaration of war against Galicia, bringing in their guarantor...Castille. Barrois soldiers are almost on a first name basis in Castille.
p12dowgalicia.png

April 4: Our relations with the pope must have fallen, because Portugal has us excommunicated. Again.

April 26: New mission: Vassalize Auvergne to lose 2 infamy.

October 14: Galicia is annexed.

November 1: Naval 9. We could now blockade, if we had a navy big enough.

September 18, 1481: The war is so boring, I didn't bother to take screenshots of most of it. This time, in payment, Castille is forced to cede Andalucia and its CoT. Conveniently, this cuts Cadiz and Gibraltar off from the rest of Castille.
p12andalucia.png

January 1, 1482: Andalucian Patriot Rebels are raised in Gibraltar.

December: After taking Gibraltar, the rebels move through Granada to take Almeria and Murcia, then come back to siege Granada.
p12granada.png

November 1, 1483: Granada collapses and joins us.

February 12, 1484: With Sicily losing its armies in a war, we fund patriots. They fail to do any lasting harm, however.

January 1, 1485: Land 12, and we now can have Houfnices. We don't have any real need for artillery at the moment, though, so we hold off.

June 1: Gibraltar defects to us, and we get 12 regiments and a general.
p12gibraltar.png

July 14: Theobald dies before we can get Portugal to lift the excommunication, which ends our union with Provence. For some reason, we retain the union with Aragon. And of course, David I is not much better than Theobald.
p12davidi.png

July 12, 1486: We declare war on Provence to restore the Union, hoping GB won't get involved (they don't). The war is over in September.
p12dowprovence.png

November 1: We declare war on Auvergne to vassalize them, as per our mission.
p12dowprovence.png

November 27: Burgundy's army doesn't even last the month.

December 13: Portugal excommunicates Castille. I take back everything negative I ever said about you, Portugal.

December 24: Savoy gets coal in their stocking, to replace the army that just got crushed outside Barrois.

April 22, 1487: Auvergne is vassalized. We lose 2 infamy from the mission (back to 0!)

June 14: Savoy cedes Savoie, to isolate Franche Comte for rebels.
p12savoypeace.png

June 15: Peace is short lived, as we declare war on excommunicated Castille. They just got done raising a small army...which is about to die...
p12dowcastille.png

August 1: ...oops, forgot about that detachment.
p12baragon.png

August 27: Another @#$%@#ing regency. We hadn't had time to bribe Provence, so we lose the union again.
p12regency.png

December 11: Another oops...Orleans won their siege in Paris before I won in Orleans. Good thing it's not my capital yet. :D

January 1, 1488: Government 15 gives me courthouses. In Savoy, Savoyard revolutionaries take Franche Comte before I can fund patriots.

February 19: Orleans annuls all treaties and gives up 133 ducats.

August 20: The diplomat great man event. We have 3 infamy.
p12greatman.png

That means it's time for...
p12castillepeace.png

Well maybe I little overstated about not knowing about infamy and royal marriage. But there are plenty of thing I don't understand in this game, which I will not start to list as I don't want to mess your AAR with "noob" questions.

You're always welcome to PM me, then. :)

ryan86: Hopefully not in France.

History_Buff: Yeah, fighting for personal unions is kinda fun. I do wish the AI would claim thrones in response to your claim more often - it would force you to think twice about overdoing it.

:rofl:Another Arabian general:rofl:
And how is it possible one of your generals died after 2 days?! I know good generals tend to die very often but two days?!:D

:rofl:Another Arabian general:rofl:
And how is it possible one of your generals died after 2 days?! I know good generals tend to die very often but two days?!:D

I meant 2 days after the war. :)

Enewald: In HTTT, Excommunication gives you 25% infamy costs to liberate provinces.

Do you think the game mechanics on inheritances and rebels need a bit of tweaking ;)

.Yeah, fighting for personal unions is kinda fun.
I agree. I have fought in three Wars of Succession in my one and only game as Mecklenburg. I helped Austria win the throne of Bosnia, helped Sweden win the throne of, get this, Crimea (which by then was a small country in Eastern Russia that was completely surrounded by Russia), and fought Milan over the Hungarian throne in my own name. The ironic thing was that I did not seek the Hungarian throne, I got the royal marriage as part of a mission to increase prestige. I helped Hungary win back almost all of the territory they had lost before the union ended. The funny thing about that was that I was not excommunicated, had good relations with them, and did not see any rebels so I could not figure out what caused the union to end after I had finally established a land connection to them.

Do you think the game mechanics on inheritances and rebels need a bit of tweaking ;)

Gee, whatever could you mean? :rofl:

If you're strong and lucky, you can PU all the great European powers by 1500. All of them have had a weak claim at some point. I've actually been vaguely restrained...

History_Buff: The war of Provencal succession was funny, in that Provence was an OPM by then.

That was funny. The only reason anyone would want the throne of Provence is that it commands the only route of invasion into France from Italy. In short, whoever controls it can invade Italy or France with impunity. It would have made more sense therefore if it was one of the Italian countries that claimed its throne.

Chapter 13: Imperial Ambitions, part 1

November 1, 1488: See, funding rebels is fun, because they are fire and forget. In this case, I forgot I sent them...but now Orleans collapses to Cosmopolitaine patriots and joins us. David I is seen dancing to "You're the One".
p13orleans.png

The rebels then show off their high intelligence by attacking British Cambray, and are promptly crushed.

February 1, 1489: Castille goes bankrupt, and will do so a few more times, since I never destroyed their fleet, and they are down to 2 ports.

August 16: Act of Uniformity passed. We'll need more missionaries soon.

January 1, 1490: Land 13. We upgrade to Landsknechten infantry. I bet German spelling bees are a blast.

June 1: Breda and Limburg core. We now pretty much have no money problems from here on out, especially after a 2 year long accidental minting spree a few years back.

September 13: Corruption drops our stability back to 2. No big deal...

October 7: A slider move to quality drops our stability to 1. It always comes all at once.

November 1: Castille collapses to heretics and Navarran nationalists, and Navarre breaks free in Vizcaya. The capital of Castille moves to Asturias.

February 22, 1491: We complete a mission to RM with the Palatinate and lose 1 infamy. Now we have to improve relations with Cologne. Meh. Cancel! Incorporate Auvergne, for a core. Hrm...no thanks - I have Centralization 4, and I'm not giving that up.

March 1: Border dispute gives a core on Franche Comte, still held by Savoyard revolutionaries.

September: A random shot of the map of Central Europe I took for no apparent reason. It's a mess.

November: Our first voter in the HRE! Guess it's time to take over...
p13hre.png

April 20, 1492: Trier is convinced to vote for Bar.

December 1: Trade 14 gives us refineries.

July 15, 1493: David I passes away, and Robert II rises to the throne (look ma, no regents!).
p13robertii.png

October 17: Hesse now votes for Bar. The Palatinate switches votes to Bohemia...temporarily.

November 10: Luxemburg assimilates to Burgundian.

January 22: Milan finishes a spree where she annexes Mantua and vassalizes Savoy and Switzerland.

March 6: Trade 15 means monopolies! Ile de France, Antwerpen, and Andalucia quickly become Barrois monopolies, along with Lubeck.

April 12: Great Britain warns us.

January 1, 1495: Production 14 gives us textile manufactories. We build 2 refineries, one in Champagne, one in Languedoc. The total cost is 2197 ducats.

September 10: Lux Stella event lets me pick a heir's name: Alexander or Caesar. We pick Caesar.

October 11: Hesse and Palatinate switch votes to Hesse, leaving us with 1 vote. Some electors may be getting vassalized if they don't learn what's good for them.

November 11: A cunning plan is hatched. We have a core on Bourgogne, and we can start rebels in Bourbon. We DoW Burgundy - we'll get the rebels started, kill the Burgundian army, then sign a peace after 3 years. The rebels will defect to us, and 5 years later we can take Bourgogne for reduced price.
p13dowburgundy.png

Last edited: