• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Waiting here, not playing no more till we get the patch. Good changes it seems, so kudos to Paradox for the frequency that we are getting these updates.

Just because its technically save game compatible doesn't mean there won't be any issues. Some EU3 patches were "save game compatible" but when playing the old save game none of the new patches features were actually in the game.

Just because its technically save game compatible doesn't mean there won't be any issues. Some EU3 patches were "save game compatible" but when playing the old save game none of the new patches features were actually in the game.

I agree with you...I just posted what Paradox says mate...
Anyway...Paradox Devs we would like an answer for the ETA of the update please...

Not that easy on steam, but I guess I can force it.

There should always be a possibility to convert an old savegame. It's good business not to piss off the customers.

just copy the ck2 gme out of the steamapps and run from the exe before steam updates it

There should always be a possibility to convert an old savegame. It's good business not to piss off the customers.

Some patches are always going to be non-save game compatible. Like any patch that contains new content I'm fairly certain won't be, the amount of time and effort trying to make it compatible isn't worth it (it might even be impossible) when people who are mid campaign can just not download the patch. And you can turn auto-updates on steam off.

Some patches are always going to be non-save game compatible.

I dont think I ever, in my whole life, played a game where savegames werent patch compatible. Just imagining players of a big (long-running) game would lose their progress is mind-boggling. Skyrim? Lol. It'd be murder and shenanigans in the streets.

Here I strongly disagree. Granted, the byzantines broke into civil war and was weaken significantly from this, but so was the Shia Caliphate. I've never seen the Shias actually break into separate states, other than temporarily. This needs to fixed just as much as the strenght of the Byzantine Empire.

Indeed, the primary problem seems to be Empire stability; the Byzantines, the HRE, the Shia caliphate, the Seljuks: all do not ever fall apart. Instead of being extremely strong when united but weak when disunited (which is fairly often) this patch slightly favours being weaker even when united. But well, the Seljuks maybe do need a boost... apart from that reducing Imperial stability seems to me to be the most important goal. Perhaps a slight relation malus with all vassals for Empires which in the game period seemed to suffer much more severe revolts than the kingdoms... while in-game France seems to often be the most unstable realm.

I am not sure I like this "Nerf Byzantium, embiggen the Islamic players" thing.
In the half-dozen games I have played for any signiifcnat length, they either get stomped, break into civil wars, or eventually pull through.
It wasn't until they became victims of their own multi-sided civil wars that they entered terminal decline in our time, and CKII need not reflect historic simulation, merely a grand strategy.

I'd be in favour of different Byzantine mechanics being developed and brought in during a new Build cycle (eg: EU3's HttT\DW new gameplay mechanics) that an arbitrary nerf this early.

I've yet to see the Byzzies break. In all my games they pretty much become an unstoppable monster, and while there might be a civil war now-and-again it always end with them regrouping, and conteniuing their conquest spree. In my current game they've conquerored most of Africa east of egypt, and got mesopotamia, Syria, Georgia, Armeni & most of Khazaria in a firm grip. Personally, I feel it's mostly because no one really tries to seceed from an empire, even if they're not a de jure part, they only try to lower crown authority or take their lieges place...

Not that easy on steam, but I guess I can force it.

seriously......... its not hard to not download the the patch on steam, no need to get in a huff. lol

I dont think I ever, in my whole life, played a game where savegames werent patch compatible. Just imagining players of a big (long-running) game would lose their progress is mind-boggling. Skyrim? Lol. It'd be murder and shenanigans in the streets.

You can't really compare skyrim and Paradox games though. Last time I checked you couldn't open skyrim saves with notepad.

Paradox probably could spend ages going through the files and making sure that everything that was different was compatible or if not adding fixes. But it would be far to much time and effort for something that most people aren't that bothered about. I'd much rather they spent that time balancing, bug fixing and adding new content.

luckily you can move ck2 to outside the steam directory and play it witout worrying about patches breaking your saves

Some patches are always going to be non-save game compatible. Like any patch that contains new content I'm fairly certain won't be, the amount of time and effort trying to make it compatible isn't worth it (it might even be impossible) when people who are mid campaign can just not download the patch. And you can turn auto-updates on steam off.
If EU3 is a model to go by, and judging by the pre-release notes, I suspect the files will be technically compatible in the sense that it will be loadable, and continuable, and won't cause a game crash. I don't see anything in the notes that implies new variables or changes in the save game structure.

But they'd never be 100% save game compatible in the sense that it would re-create your situation, based on the new set of rules. That's just not feasible.

Most people find that the changes in the rules, with any patch, are substantial enough that there is little point in continuing a save game. Even a minor change in rules causes a ripple effect that makes a current games less credible. So why not start a new game with the refined (presumably improved) set of rules.

Here I strongly disagree. Granted, the byzantines broke into civil war and was weaken significantly from this, but so was the Shia Caliphate. I've never seen the Shias actually break into separate states, other than temporarily. This needs to fixed just as much as the strenght of the Byzantine Empire.

This is only partially true. I've seen it happen. But I'm not sure if I had something to do with it.

The Pope called a crusade on Dramur (iirc) of the Shia Caliphate. When I first answered the call I was unceremoniously stomped. A few years later, bothered by the crusade flag under my portrait and with nothing much else to do on my own turf while I waited for my Muslim neighbors to get into some scrap, I decided to check on the Shia Caliphate. The Caliph was under a huge independence war covering his whole caliphate. Needless to say I immediately answered the crusade call and raised my personal levies plus an holy order.

(why the rest of the AI decided not to answer that crusade I will never know, but would like for the developers to take a look at that)

I went there, got 3 provinces and eventually the Caliph requested peace. But before I even stepped in his lands, he was already much diminished and some 20 years down the line after I won that crusade, the Shia Caliphate was a shadow of itself with just two emirs.

You say it's save game compatible. In one of my current games I'm King of Wales, so if Cornwall is taken by Duke of Brittany can he usurp my title? It's a shame you don't get claims on deJure Kingdom provinces like you do with Ducal claims because this would provide the perfect CB to invade the continent and unite with my Angevin cousins :)

- Doubled the flanking damage bonus in combat
- Increased the flank leader Martial skill bonus in combat by 50%
Ah, initial attempts at getting a more interesting combat system. Thanks a bunch :)
Lets see how it works out. But looks pretty good.

- Holy Orders now cost maintenance if you're in at least one offensive, non-Crusade war
Admittedly I've not been using Holy Orders much. But isn't it the case they have maintenance costs when used in Crusades? I distinctly remember paying them monthly.

- Halved all peasant revolt risk factors
Yeah, well. Seems the EU3 crowd won. </nasty>

- Peasant Army size is now determined by the biggest holding garrison size (so they will always be dangerous)
I suppose. Less revolt risk, more dangerous when it happens. I'd rather it be the other way around (as it was before). I suspect this can be a huge problem for players playing as a duke.

- AI: More wary of expensive assassinations
Thanks for working on the assassination feature :) But what does this mean exactly. I'm hoping we are talking about nerfing assassination in the game.
- Buffed the Caliphates and the Seljuks. Nerfed the Byzantines.
Ah! I loved it. :) I do support the idea of stronger much harder Caliphs. But I would like more resistance on their part in answering calls to arms from their allies. When not being played, Iberia is already usually overrun by the Moors. Now with this...

- Upped the chances of dying due to disease a little bit
Uh-oh! The game is currently unforgiving, with diseases almost every 2 or 3 years spreading like wildfire. Or is this about the "Ill" trait?

- Re-enabled selection of the same type of plot again for players
Thanks! :) But here's to hope next one actually comes with more plots.

- Exported MAX_ELECTOR_TITLES_LEGALLY_HELD to defines
- Exported the max duchies held opinion penalty to defines
- Exported the tax penalty for bishops loyal to the Pope or Anti-Pope to the defines
Thanks! :) But I hope you guys leave this alone real quick. I'd rather see a patch concentrated just on mod features than to have these changes spread out towards numerous patches.

- The "recently conquered" holding penalties are no longer applied during civil wars or wars between vassals
Is there anyone in PI that will accept I kiss them in the mouth?

You say it's save game compatible. In one of my current games I'm King of Wales, so if Cornwall is taken by Duke of Brittany can he usurp my title? It's a shame you don't get claims on deJure Kingdom provinces like you do with Ducal claims because this would provide the perfect CB to invade the continent and unite with my Angevin cousins :)
Yeah, I hunted around for some sort of Kingdom claim, too, the first time I formed a kingdom; took me a while to figure out it just wasn't included. I assume it's an intentional design decision. You do get the option of asking for vassalization of independents for de jure kings, though, so that might work.

But a Wales game is precisely the type of game I'd not continue, given that it would've been so much more difficult to form the Kingdom, starting as a Welsh Count/Duke. Still seems weird that it'll be almost trivially easy to form "Wales" now, as Brittany, but far more difficult to do so as Gwynedd.

But a Welsh count will be my first game, under the new patch. Hopefully the Byzantines will be reeling under the onslaught of ferocious Saracens, making a Holy Land crusade fun/feasible, rather than sitting atop all the Holy Land provinces themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.