• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
- AI: Improved marriage acceptance. Smarter about "Desires Better Alliance". Values prestige gain or loss higher.

Hooray! Now if we can just get success in DEFENSIVE independence wars, this will be pretty darn good.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean it's Welsh. You might as well throw in a couple of Irish counties to the Kingdom of Wales on the grounds that they're Celtic too., or Ypres and Brugges to England because they're both West Germanic.

Ever considered that they might change the name displayed for the kingdom of Wales... like kingdom of Celts or something like that even if it doesn't make much historical sense, it's still better than keeping it as Wales...

Hello Kallocain...thanks for the info mate...any news for the update's time???
Cheers...

Last edited:
Reminds me... what's with emirate of Arabs? What's wrong with changing it to Arabia? It makes more sense as surrounding areas are geographical and not cultural.

I don't seem to have a problem with the +20. As for ERE (Byzantium) I do not think they are overpowered. The HRE is a lot more powerfull and France seems to blob and take Spain in most of my games. I found Byzantium to be enjoyable. Perhapes random events for Byzantium or alterations in the interaction between dukes and their lord will help create imbalance. Playing in both HRE and ERE I can tell you HRE needs to.be.nerfed way more then Byzantium. It is almost impossible to declare independence from them and in 1.3b take kn Sicily Africa France and Spain before.the mongols show.

As for nerfing Byzantium and buffing the Turks and Arabs - that's great! Byzantines are ridiculously over-powered, and the Muslims are ridiculously underpowered. The whole point of the game is to fight the infidels. But what's the fun when it isn't much of a challenge now. I NEVER see the Byzantines fall to the Infidel, or even look like they're breaking a sweat. Maybe they lose one or two border provinces, to the Turks, but that's it. Generally, they're sitting pretty, dominating the Holy Land, themselves. They might collapse during a civil war, but always rebound. If they do decline, it's because Sicily or some western power has succeeded in eating Arabs and turned its sights east/north.

Here I strongly disagree. Granted, the byzantines broke into civil war and was weaken significantly from this, but so was the Shia Caliphate. I've never seen the Shias actually break into separate states, other than temporarily. This needs to fixed just as much as the strenght of the Byzantine Empire.

The Irish were much further removed linguistically and culturally from the Celts that resided in the Wales, Cornwall and Brittany. Despite being separated by seas, these three communities sprang from a common cultural, linguistic, and ethnic pool, and had trade, cultural exchanges, and inter-marriages with each other far more than they did with their more barbaric neighbors (saxons, normans, and franks)

In this era, the sense of being "Welsh" or "Cornish" or "Breton" was just being defined. In the Saxon era, they would all have considered themselves "Britons" and their language, Brythonic, was virtually identical in Cornwall and Brittany through the 1100s. The idea of a single de jure British kingdom is fantasy, of course, but so is the idea of any kind of united Welsh kingdom in this period (or Irish or Finnish or African...). If you think of it as a successor to Arthur's Briton, maybe it makes some sense.

In any event, I think it's an interesting solution to some game play issues that has some historical justification. Brittany should never have been part of de jure France. And it was too easy to form the Kingdom of Wales as a Welsh Count. Unfortunately, the fact that Brittany taking just one more province will now be able to form "Wales" may lead to new gameplay issues. But I'm willing to give it a chance.
(...)

Although I personally had less issues with Brittany being de jure a part of France, then again the Dutch are (mostly) descendants from (Germanic) Franks, furthermore that might have been close to the French perspective ;). OTOH I understand that (Celtic) Britons probably had (and have) a different view :); furthermore chances are that Brittany still ends up de facto French and Cornwall and Wales de facto English, which is what happened historically.
That being said, I do agree, that forming the kingdom of Wales probably was too easy; furthermore I see the new issue with Brittany. This partly could be solved by some extra conditions, like in case of Finland culture. However perhaps more interesting was a condition used in a Lotharingia mod, you needed to control the required percentage of the territory and hold the duchies Upper Lorraine and Lower Lorraine, for Wales this could mean (I hope I spell these names correctly) Deheubarth and Gwynedd.

I general I find this a interesting solution or compromise and I also am willing to give it a chance. (Besides I usually mod in Lotharingia :).)

I know people have said the patch will be savegame compatible but I am currently playing as Brittany. As there is a major change to the duchy, do you think my savegame will be ok or would weirdness ensue? I was just on the brink or swearing fealty to France due to their high crown laws blocking my expansion too.

Can't wait! I'm really looking forward to the change in dynamics in the east :)

I'm surprised levy armies still will not reinforce in the field, or is this WAD?

Status
Not open for further replies.