• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
We need someone in charge such as Rurikovich during this time of recession. He's creating plenty of employment opportunities with regards to his Marshals!

First, many thanks for all the kind words ...

Marshal of Novgorod seems a risky job. Writing I want this on the map was maybe not the wisest choice.
We need someone in charge such as Rurikovich during this time of recession. He's creating plenty of employment opportunities with regards to his Marshals!

He did seem to get through an inordinate number of them - especially as, by CK standards, his reign is mostly peaceful

Well, we did have "Hedgehog Flavoured" crisps once upon a time...Nice, original idea for an AAR btw!

All looks entirely reasonable to me; what could go wrong? OMG that's what I thought as well! :eek:

You can tell why we've got the highest rate of heart disease in the universe, can't you? ;)

I'm tempted to see if I can beat morningsider to the first mention of Irn Bru and thus utterly confuse the majority of any potential readership. I did manage to slip midges into a HOI3 aar (so to speak ... not literally of course ;)), I'll see what I can do with the next update

:rofl:
Oh my god, I love this AAR! I am so happy I found it at the beginning!

LOL Paint a tapestry... that artist, he's a conman!

Well poor Mstislav is probably the family's break out idiot (at least so far), so the mere technicality of can you paint a tapestry would probably escape him

Apparently Irn Bru is banned in some US states.

Probably due to all the suspect sh** it has in it!

aye, the only thing worse I've ever drunk was a bottle of wine in Samarkand - made me very suspicious as to where the Soviets might have been recycling the output of their chemical weapons industry in an attempt to disguise their stockpiles.

Mstislav 1081-1086: Like Father, like Son?

[ah sir, there you are … let me introduce ‘Gabi’, it seems he’s interested in you too]

Gabi, Gabi, oh the old memory has gone again … anyway nice to meet you … what soft skin you have … do you use lotions, you know that stuff that repels midges … well we had all sorts of problems with midges in Finland and I only found out later on that I could have used … Gabi …?? ... oh he’s the A…

[yes sir so maybe we can get on with it, Gabi is a busy person … but maybe you could explain the map]

Oh the map … just drunken doodles, all that period it was family stuff really, and … Gabi you’ll appreciate this,... after I finished the war in Turov off I gave it over to Sviatolpolk …. who was my bishop [Gabi grimaces at the mention], anyway it was all family, family ... I sent Elisey, my third son, to my other brother Yaropolk, Prince of Galich to further his education.

[ummh aren’t you forgetting that you packed Dmitri off to a monastery somewhere in the Levant … and fell out with your wife?]

Well, yes but you see everyone at court knew he was a … well you know a bastard so I thought he’d be better off somewhere else but Predlava didn’t agree ... so I gave her county to Rosislavl (my first son) who'd just come of age, so I cede him my eastern provinces and title:

Of course somehow my new Marshall had his teeth knocked out

[ah was that the essentially unprovoked war with Beletsy sir]

Not that unprovoked – all the domestic stuff was rather boring and I sort of needed a distraction

[Gabi perks up, “so you started a war as you were bored and oh yes, you also said – ‘it’ll get me closer to Bonehead, it’ll give me a nice Prince title and they have no allies’ – so the provocation was …”?]

Well apart from the teeth incident it was all over very quickly. In the meantime, Rostislav rather shockingly and utterly unlike me, attacked some pagans to expand his domain:

There you are, the young heh …:

[can we just stop you there, so there is no truth that you wrote to him saying unlike Dmitri it was obvious he was yours as ‘he was a chip off the old block and that’ll look really nice one of these days when its coloured in red’?]

... oh, you found that letter ... well really all I was doing was thinking of building some roads and other legacy stuff (no wars of course), and then the bank balance was tilted back into the red. Marfa decided I needed to bump up her bank balance again. Seemed she no longer respected me for some reason, and of course as Chancellor she knew how much I could afford

Equally expensive, the Patriarch sent me a new Bishop – but at least this one doesn’t seem to believe in God … oh sorry Gabi

[and the legacy thing got really started at this time sir?]

Well yes, you know tempus fugit and all that, and there were lots of signs of ageing, so I started to think it would be nice to be a King, would be nice for the kids to inherit and it would cheer up all the oldies at Court

and, of course, some local burgher people got upset about something, and that took a lot of time, so I sort of forgot about the king-thing:

Until this jolly bunch wandered by:

Well you see, it seemed rude not to hire them, and they were mercenaries so they then sort of expected me to have a war for them, so well I did need Estonia to become King of Finland (the rest of my family wasn’t too keen on me being King of the Rus for some reaon)

[can we be clear here – you started a series of wars just because a bunch of mercenaries turned up?]

Well they were very nice blokes, and they were bored, and it seemed the best thing all round,

[except for the Estonians? … if I may interject here … of course Gabi as you wish … well wars etc are not that good but all these Estonians were pagans you know]

Yes, and the wars were very quick

Dorpat almost paid for its own conquest, and I kindly left the existing Count in place.

[so maybe we can summarise, by the end of 1086, almost by accident … well actually seemingly totally by accident, you ended up ruling over most of N Russia and the area around Kiev … the voices wander off … “so what do you think Gabi? … we might fit him into the first terrace … pass us the completed report … I think Harry is on weak ground with this one”]

Will Mstislav escape hell … why hasn’t he heard from Rostislav for the last year ... what is the issue with Sviatolpolk, now bishop of Turov?

What a great man Rurikovich clearly is! Making work for dentists and mercenaries this time. I look forward to the future Irn Bru reference (nice to see midges get a mention)!

One year I had a summer job working at the East Midlands distributer for Barrs. It was a bit like the Red Cross; we delivered Irn Bru to Corby. Worship me locals :rofl:

I could have done with that sort of service when I first moved "Darn Sarf". You asked for Irn Bru in some places and they'd run you out of the shop.

Or rather, they'd try to, and then realise you were from Glasgow and think twice ;)

Irn Bru is a great mixer in vodka, but for better portability, use Lucozade Original Six Packs. Drink about a quarter of each bottle, then top off and leave to settle. ;)

And Iain, I moved to theborder with Yorkshire aged 9 and it was all 'Oooh. Irn Bru!'. I think my first ever sugar high was at a friends house after I had a pint of that stuff :D

Sweet mercy! Not only do we get an AAR demonstrating how stupidity will always win through (he's that big an idiot, vengeful to boot, and he still ends up ruling the better part of northern Russia?), we also get a mystifying and arcane discussion about... well... color me puzzled. :) I think I recall seeing some ads for Irn Bru on MTV Europe in the early nineties, but other than that the can prominently featured the color orange (if memory serves), I am utterly clueless about it all. Still, it's a fascinating glimpse into a world utterly unknown to me. :)

What a great man Rurikovich clearly is! Making work for dentists and mercenaries this time. I look forward to the future Irn Bru reference (nice to see midges get a mention)!

One year I had a summer job working at the East Midlands distributer for Barrs. It was a bit like the Red Cross; we delivered Irn Bru to Corby. Worship me locals :rofl:

so you're the person the SNP now holds responsible for all our health problems?

I could have done with that sort of service when I first moved "Darn Sarf". You asked for Irn Bru in some places and they'd run you out of the shop.

Or rather, they'd try to, and then realise you were from Glasgow and think twice ;)

Irn Bru is a great mixer in vodka, but for better portability, use Lucozade Original Six Packs. Drink about a quarter of each bottle, then top off and leave to settle. ;)

And Iain, I moved to theborder with Yorkshire aged 9 and it was all 'Oooh. Irn Bru!'. I think my first ever sugar high was at a friends house after I had a pint of that stuff :D

Irn Bru and Rum contains (or used to anyway) a considerable number of the essential food groups ;)

Sweet mercy! Not only do we get an AAR demonstrating how stupidity will always win through (he's that big an idiot, vengeful to boot, and he still ends up ruling the better part of northern Russia?), we also get a mystifying and arcane discussion about... well... color me puzzled. :) I think I recall seeing some ads for Irn Bru on MTV Europe in the early nineties, but other than that the can prominently featured the color orange (if memory serves), I am utterly clueless about it all. Still, it's a fascinating glimpse into a world utterly unknown to me. :)

Well having played a bit beyond his reign, I now rather like the idea of an idiot as a ruler, but orange doesn't really properly describe the real colour:

Mstislav 1086-1090, the Finnish Years

[ah, good so we can get started again … maybe you could quickly summarise the next few years … we do have a bit of a backlog building up]

Well by the end of April, most of Estonia was mine … in almost every case I left the existing Count in charge except for Ravel which I gave to my, increasingly annoying I must say, lisping Marshall

[but that wasn’t the end of your wars in Estonia and Finland?]

Oh no, but the next ones were totally different, I did it to protect them

[you invaded to protect them]

Oh yes, you see the Livonians were in danger of being occupied by Sweden:

And the war with Karelen wasn’t even my fault in the first place:

Nor that with Satakunta who had been at war for an age with my new Estonian province of Reval.

And then Tavast got itself in a war with Iceland and needed rescuing.

[sir, you have managed to reduce a spree of 4 aggressive wars into either helping your friends or protecting people from the results of existing wars]

Sounds fair, look I know I’m not meant to be bright, but it was really rather simple:

And it sort of works out, except that Vyshata-the-child-prodigy ends up with Karelen somehow, only 6 and you can see the family genes at work.

[do you mean he had random acts of luck]

No, his cunning genius ...

[Sir, the child prodigy … this was your grandson?]

Yes

[so it was a surprise to find that your son was dead]

Sort of

[not very paternal]

No but ... well there was I, well on the way to being a King and I noticed I’ve not seen number 1 son around the Court for a while. So I ask around a bit, after all I have been busy and he could have called, and ….

So he’s got himself wounded and died (that explained the silences),

[and we notice your mother has run off back to Germany to escape you?]

..., no that raised the question who is in charge over there:

Right.

Fortunately number 2 son who I’d sent off to Chernigov was looking good:

Not bad at all, thanks Brother – mind you his collection of rivals is a bit worrying for one so young. So, what I decided to do this time was to wait on making him a Prince till I’m a King. That’ll avoid some of the Rostislav mistakes.

So there I was sorting out the realm and the family and … I think this shows how popular I was becoming … My Counts all banded together to buy me a nice present – gold. Well all but Domazhir of Pskov, who took it all rather badly and declared independence.

Well he declined my polite request to return to being my vassal, so I quickly invited him back to the realm

[invited sir?]

Yes, but after invading and sacking his capital … those Norwegians were such rough chaps you know:

[you also weren’t too popular in the south either?]

Well I found out that Sviatolpolk, Bishop of Turov had decided to retain my brother Svyatopolk after I’d conquered the province for him … so they started plotting but the first time I sent a bribe and we were all good friends again.

Well it lasted to 1089

And afterwards, we’re all mates again:

And almost as soon as we’d sorted that one out, he was off again:

[Sir, if you were this gullible ... how did you manage to survive so long? - especially as he wasn’t the only one who was less than impressed was he?]

Oh you mean Starya Russa? Well they couldn’t make up their minds whether to do religion or crime:

… I always thought that bonehead was behind that, setting a bad example, you know he kept on claiming to be their ruler and with all this focus on the northern parts of my domain, the peasants in Kiev became a bit casual in agricultural matters:

Though at least the poorer vegetation meant we finally caught some local thieves:

and then my nobles gave me some more money:

[so sir can we draw this to some sort of conclusion .. by 1090 you had occupied most of Finland … were on the verge of being a King if only you could find enough money … had failed to notice your son and heir was dead … and had a continuous feud with the Bishop of Turov]

Yes that sounds fair …

[voices disappear … well where are we … dunno about you but I’m confused, so he’s on the verge of being a King and we still don’t know what to do with him … ah he’s still got some explaining about Dmitri to do]

What is the explanation for Dmitri … how far can incompetence take Mstislav … is Boris’ number of enemies an omen of things to come ... how long can Mstislav's current marshall survive without an accident?

Excellent update!

Oh no, but the next ones were totally different, I did it to protect them

[you invaded to protect them]​

How can you fault such logic?

Well, apart from not being up to snuff with basic family relations, and having vassals declare independence in disgust every half hour... Apart from that, he's doing quite well and even sounding fairly lucent. I'm shocked!

And yes, the whole "If I don't take them under my tender mercy, someone else will surely gangrape them" line of reasoning is hard to argue with. We can all agree - better the devil you know than the one you don't. I'm sure Mstislav would agree.

Excellent update! How can you fault such logic?

We've all done it. Hell, we Brits made an Empire using that logic ;)

Those africans and indians needed that protection. Everybody knows that...Cool concept, I'll be around.

Well, apart from not being up to snuff with basic family relations, and having vassals declare independence in disgust every half hour... Apart from that, he's doing quite well and even sounding fairly lucent. I'm shocked!

And yes, the whole "If I don't take them under my tender mercy, someone else will surely gangrape them" line of reasoning is hard to argue with. We can all agree - better the devil you know than the one you don't. I'm sure Mstislav would agree.

one of the things I really like about CK is the wierd way it gives you a justification for doing things - in this case I was checking out the alliances of the Estonian counts and spotted that they were in danger of being gobbled up by some imperialistic Swedes, so obviously wanted the provinces for my own regal ambitions and ... voila ... a new foreign policy doctrine is born.

Mstislav the King 1091-1095

[look sir, if you don’t mind we’d really like to hurry you along … you know how it is – other people always want stuff yesterday, and both Gabi and Harry want you properly assigned so they can get on with … well whatever it is they want to get on with … so maybe we can concentrate on the really important stuff … you waged two aggressive wars in 1091 alone]

Oh you mean the one where my marshall was injured and there was that strange event with a forest?

[yes sir … but please just the essentials?]

Well, to be brief, the distinctly manly Count of Galich (you remember him from that earlier trouble in Turov) rebelled (never knew why), he lost the war and we were all the best of chums afterwards … and someone burnt down a forest in a province nowhere near the war … I do now wonder if the evil bonehead was behind that?

It was also about then I found myself a new spy-mistress, young and deceitful quite a combination

Well she convinced me that my maths were wrong … you know that was never my strong point

[sir, it really would take eternity to find out what was your strong point]

So, well, we had to invade Osel or I would have never have become a King

[which you did?]

yes

Anyway I was so impressed with her ability to add up that I married her to Elisey, my third son, important to keep talent I always said

So there I was just saving up the money, ordering the robes, so happy I was to be the first of my family to be a real King and then it all got soooo stressful

First Sviatolpolk made all sorts of threats

And then, much more disturbing, Dmitri returned from Constantinople

[so you arranged a totally unsuitable marriage for him]

Well it may have appeared like that at the time, but the boy ended up with a mass of titles as a result

{{{ plot spoiler alert – the next screenshot is from the future so look away if you do not want to know what happened in the end}}}

[somehow sir, that rather confirms our view that you blundered around and it all seemed to work out]

I wasn’t blundering, I was stressed, anyway by August 1093, I was a King

And, as a King, if I make someone a Prince they stay in my realm, no repeating the mistake with Rostislav. Well Boris gets to be Prince of Kiev, and Elisey Count of Kiev – they can deal with the south (and the ongoing problem of Turov) and all these people were hurling themselves at me to be MY vassal,

[yes all very good … but lets discuss Dmitri]

well he kept on trying to interrupt whilst I was making Princes, signing up vassals, building buildings and he was going on about … well I wasn’t sure what he was going on about, think it was about Predlava – who still wasn’t talking to me, but I definitely did not send him to his room

[?]

No that was his own choice,

anyway. Just to show I was a good father, I kept in close touch with Boris, checking he wasn’t dead, that sort of thing, it was all looking good for the future, he had a promising heir (perhaps too many enemies but that didn't seem to be too important)

Predlava died, and my new wife paid for a saw-mill and was also a very good Chancellor

So what could go wrong? I mean even Sviatolpolk decided to be nice now he was part of Boris’ realm,

I was being nice to Osel, everyone was doing soo nice to each other

[at which point - you also grabbed a title that didn’t belong to you?]

Oh that, Moscow you mean … clerical error, just I had so many titles it was easy for an extra one to slip in

[so, sir …., just to be clear, in this period you had one war because a vassal rebelled, one because you can’t count, shunned your bastard son … oh and ended up ruler of northern and central Russia, most of Finland and Estonia]

So what can go wrong? Is Boris such a good idea? If Dmitri stays in his room where do all the titles come from? Is being just one King enough for Mstislav?

Last edited: