• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
When I play I want to know about a policy of my neighbours and competitors. I would like, that they were not featureless. For example, that the Great Britain (as it was its way) should preserve balance of forces of Europe. That in whole powers had the foreign policy purposes and that they could cross and by it the probability of formation of alliances and unleashing a wars was based. I am a little tired from unpredictable casual allies and enemies.
see like this http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?533049-Foreign-policy-goals-idea&highlight=

Last edited:
How about a mechanism whereby nations can "Refuse to Repay Debts" to loaner nations. They already have a "Repay Debts" CB, but historically some nations refused to repay debts WITHOUT going into Bankruptcy to do it. That way you can strategically initiate wars by this action. Also if the loaner nation refuses to act on the CB, they should lose some prestige for it. After all historically it wasn't just that Russia under the communists was bankrupt, it was also that Bolsheviks refused to repay Russia's war debts at all over ideological and political reasons. This lead to a Britain and America intervening in their civil war. My point is that it wasn't just economic bankruptcy.

That would make sense, and it would be an interesting decision for the player to make, provided it wasn't abused. I can see situations where a human-controlled China would try to borrow heavily from small South American states and then just refuse repayment.

more dinamic badboy system. Something like EU III,where tehre are some factor wich changes the max badboyd (for example, max badboy with genova convention +2 (or -2,whatever),genova convention -0.1 monthly)

Also, if you are in a badboy war, you should lost badboy in a normal way. Its very exploitable if someone has for example 26.00 of badboy and declaring war.. because they need a lot of months and not only 10 or so to go below 25.. so when they win or lost that badboy war they have another one,or two,or three in a row.

If a country is doing well, their pops should not migrate (not only attract inmigration). Also, if an american country is doing porrly they should not attract any at all, but thats is my opinion.

If a country has slavery,they should capture some pops in every war when siege, but with a badoboy cost in every war (+0.1 instead of -0.3?) (also, a lower badboy cap if they have slavery))

Head of state and head of goverment should be nice in every election,with bonus and malus. If there is too much corruption in the country they should be bad rulers, and viceversa.

Would be nice select multiple provinces in a row and make them to build something. (rusia..). Also canceling a building ordering by you should be possible. (missclick)

also tech bonus if you are researching one tech that your neighbour alread reasearch that and the next tier

if you have a positive war score and you conquer a lot of the other country, but your country only have like 10% war score (usa conquering british canada), they shoud give up some provinces there if war is long enough.

and, THIS:

also please add "set rally province" option for troop and ship construction. it is so boring to collect and merge all those ships and troops

Last edited:
It would be awesome if the "Trust-system" from EU3 could be implemented.
The standard (-200 - 200) relations system feels arbitrary.

Some love for the AI would also be appreciated. I.e. no more "Austrian conquest for landlocked Tabriz".
A thing that also is bothering me is that Egypt can be untouched for 50 years, and directly after one european nation declares war on them, 5-6 other nations DoWs them too.
This makes the map look really ugly when 4 countries divide Morocco and 5-6 different countries divide Egypt.
This is not a big deal but it makes the map look like shit. I want my map to be pretty.

The whole availability of money should be significantly rebalanced. Unless you're a dirt poor unciv, money is pretty much meaningless because there is so much of it.

My specific suggestions to the expansion

So after further thoughts there are some things that should be adressed and would be great in the expansion. Wall of text here, but I´d like some comments (from devs too)

1- An industrial goods change is VERY needed. Three things: steel should be made more important, there should be a new good called wargear (to represent stuff like tools, grenades, barbed wire etc that were used in the battlefield as tech improved, and should be part of the initial cost to build a brigade and as maintenace as well... since htey would use steel, there you go, steel becomes more important.

But above all, I always thought the fact that some invention being discovered didn´t mean that Vlad the village drunk got new stuff to work. He had to buy it first. So, every new tech that increases produtivity should make worker pops need more of a new good (dunno how to call it... domestic tools? productivity tools?) which should be either everyday needs or luxury needs. Can buy them ok, can´t, sorry, out of the market by demotion. And again, steel would be important to build those.

2- To build navies you would need soldier pops. No excuse here, navies needed especialized workforce. Maybe increase soldier pops somehow, maybe more promotion chance with incentives.

3- Machine gun bonuses and combat could use a little change. To reflect the fact that attackers had MGs too but they couldn´t be used in advance, I suggest the full +5 def bonus should be used only on the FIRST dice roll, with a decay on next rolls. Why? Because by that time the attackers gained ground and put MGs to cover the gained ground and the counter attacks that (presumably) make part of an engagement in the WW1 era. Read about the battle of the Somme, for example - where the allies gained ground they had to repel counter attacks - with MGs they brought, as well, not only rifles.

4- More turbulence, countries like Austria and Russia too quiet. Also, adress mega-France.

5- Revise logistics, jungle terrain should be awful to cross and a new mountain type should be added with huge attrition as well (to represent Himalayas, Andes etc). Seasons too should be important, with extra coal and wood consumption in the winter and larger attrition.

If I wrote anything dumb plz let me know :blink:

1: Tweaks with industrial goods and demand would be useful and interesting. It isn't just steel ... I've built factories that stay level one from the very beginning and never see more than a meager profit and a surplus that grows faster (due to techs) than my demand. On the positive side of that problem it allows me to focus on more lucrative factories. I'm afraid that I can't offer any hard number suggestions ... I'm just not a numbers person to that degree.

2: I agree completely that ships should require soldier pops. I wouldn't increase the number of pops total though, I might consider (if technically possible) allowing for 1 pop to equate to X of a certain class. A dreadnought might require a full pop, a pop might get you two cruisers or four ironclads ...

3: I lack an opinion in this area.

4: Indeed. Austria tends to be the most stable of the European states in my games. I've never once seen Austria threatened by rebellion unless I've taken some actions to put her in that position. I've seen France, the UK, Russian Empire, Prussia/NGF/German Empire, and the United States all suffer significantly at times from rebellion without there being any significant warfare or action on my part.

5: I'd also like to see terrain that is almost certain death for large armies. Seasonal changes might be a bit beyond the game's scope. I'd be in favour of the change if it could be implemented without causing any more noticeable a slowdown in the late stages of the game.

Well the importance of coal, steel and other goods must be better represented in the game. That´s a fact. I think it´s dumb you can make more money with luxury furniture than steel, and how easy it is for a crappy country to develop some industries. All south american countries (and that includes Brazil) BOUGHT all their weapons even after World War 1... Yet by 1870 you can have weapons industries that can rival the UK. Complete nonsense, I know it´s a game, but the current system is too superficial.

Latin America's biggest holdback in terms of industry should be a lack of coal. South America may as well be known as the only continent without a lump of coal hidden in the ground.

Another point:

6- Weapons trade should be different from other trades. Don´t think I need to explain why. Militaristic countries should be subject to blockades and embargoes.
7- Weapon manufacturing itself should be harder. How? Dunno, but it´s important. As I said before no south american country built weapons before WW 1.

these are some ideas i have written in another thread:

- rebels fighting each other. for example, if communists have enough number and organization, they will try to stop fascist rebels
- reduce ai's desire to build railroads. railroads are everywhere, in arctic zone, in saharan desert, above himalayas. remember transsiberian railway. it was built by government and rest of siberia was railless.
- reduce money supply. or implement inflation. money is worthless.
- add new terrain type: urban. cities have certain amount of factories, pops and infrastructure should turn into urban zones which will attract migrants and investments.
- reduce internal migration.
- please please please add "set rally province" for ship and troops construction. it is very boring to gather and merge them. especially ships.
- for fun: add a ledger about world's total population of a specific race, and demographics of countries. i sometimes wonder how many germans or tatars or nanfaren live in the world:eek:o
- currently, there is no need to capture land. in 1.2, coal and iron provinces had some importance because of steel industry. it is gone now. so please make some of the province has some strategic significance
- it is easy to industrialize in former colonies and there is no need to keep them as colonies. should be added some features

Another point:

6- Weapons trade should be different from other trades. Don´t think I need to explain why. Militaristic countries should be subject to blockades and embargoes.
7- Weapon manufacturing itself should be harder. How? Dunno, but it´s important. As I said before no south american country built weapons before WW 1.

and more useful...probably by a good implementation of that embargo/blockade idea...

- reduce internal migration.
- for fun: add a ledger about world's total population of a specific race, and demographics of countries. i sometimes wonder how many germans or tatars or nanfaren live in the world:eek:o

I second that idea.

My idea is, for large multinational countries -- make minorities prefer their core provinces when choosing migration target.
(this should prevent spreading uniformly polish minority over whole russia, austria and prussia)
And minority should prefer independent country with [this] main/accepted culture.
(for example greek migration to independent greece)

8- Merchant navies. Don´t have ships to haul your goods, bad luck, then you won´t sell or buy anything. Maybe you could offer/buy transportation services? Make it a similar value to transport capacity in HOI 2. If you have capacity you can get what you want, don´t have, then well you either sell coffee or buy guns ( I mean, choose priorities).
9- No teleporting generals (was proposed already, just giving the suggestion more oooomph ^^)
10- National leaders. Yes, they DID make a difference and Germany without Wilhelm II would maybe have followed a different path. Same could be said about Russia and some Czars, which were a setback for the country. How to implement it, dunno... maybe different ruler = influence on national values?

10- National leaders. Yes, they DID make a difference and Germany without Wilhelm II would maybe have followed a different path. Same could be said about Russia and some Czars, which were a setback for the country. How to implement it, dunno... maybe different ruler = influence on national values?

It's actually very easy to implement that. It's already in PDM and DVG, and I believe I made it into a minimod for vanilla as well. They can simply be made into event modifiers.

1- An industrial goods change is VERY needed. Three things: steel should be made more important, there should be a new good called wargear (to represent stuff like tools, grenades, barbed wire etc that were used in the battlefield as tech improved, and should be part of the initial cost to build a brigade and as maintenace as well... since htey would use steel, there you go, steel becomes more important.

But above all, I always thought the fact that some invention being discovered didn´t mean that Vlad the village drunk got new stuff to work. He had to buy it first. So, every new tech that increases produtivity should make worker pops need more of a new good (dunno how to call it... domestic tools? productivity tools?) which should be either everyday needs or luxury needs. Can buy them ok, can´t, sorry, out of the market by demotion. And again, steel would be important to build those.

I suspect the chances of new goods are pretty close to zero. As for the 'domestic tools' thing; I'd say that's better represented by adding a maintainance cost to RGOs. Cos, you'know, all that fertilizer used in your farms is free. We only pay for fertilizer to blow things up with.

2- To build navies you would need soldier pops. No excuse here, navies needed especialized workforce. Maybe increase soldier pops somehow, maybe more promotion chance with incentives.

Yes, yes, yes, a thousand times yes. We've been requesting this for months.

3- Machine gun bonuses and combat could use a little change. To reflect the fact that attackers had MGs too but they couldn´t be used in advance, I suggest the full +5 def bonus should be used only on the FIRST dice roll, with a decay on next rolls. Why? Because by that time the attackers gained ground and put MGs to cover the gained ground and the counter attacks that (presumably) make part of an engagement in the WW1 era. Read about the battle of the Somme, for example - where the allies gained ground they had to repel counter attacks - with MGs they brought, as well, not only rifles.

Sounds a little overcomplex, and frankly unneeded imo. What about attackers who didn't have machine gun tech...? What I would suggest on the military side of things is a kind of 'anti-war hospitals' value, that made your army cause more soldier-to-POP damage to the enemy. Currently, we can reduce our own casualties, but bombs are no more likely to kill you than spearthrusts.

4- More turbulence, countries like Austria and Russia too quiet. Also, adress mega-France.

Balance; this should frankly be handled through patches and we shouldn't have to wait for AHD.

5- Revise logistics, jungle terrain should be awful to cross and a new mountain type should be added with huge attrition as well (to represent Himalayas, Andes etc). Seasons too should be important, with extra coal and wood consumption in the winter and larger attrition.

Specific good need increases in-game are another thing I'm fairly certain will never happen. Making certain terrain outright impassable (the himalayas should not allow a British cavalry army to cross them) and adjusting attrition is a nice idea, provided the AI can understand not to stand eveyone in the desert.