• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ultimis Finis Suenikes Madness!

Thanks for many snickers... ;)

Well done, I am also sad to see it end, but its been very good while it lasted!

I for one refuse to be sad about the fact that this stupendously brilliant AAR has come to an end. Now if you excuse me, I'll be over in the corner having a manly cry.
Now, this new project of yours won't be a three-part prequel to Oranjes with faux Jamaican sidekick and a pile of cardboard as the lead, will it?

Congratulations on playing and reporting such an amusing and compelling game, full of excellent characters and many moments of laughing out loud. It's nice to see Suenik returned to it's original state, surrounded by enemies.

well many thanks for this genuinely brilliant AAR. I'm sure you'll get lots of comments from people who were in from the start. To me the highest praise is that discovering it late, reading most of it in a single afternoon (so the client got the report late ... these things happen), and then being disappointed that I'd have to wait along with everyone else. If Knut created the idea that comedy and CK were natural bedfellows, you've raised it to a higher form ...

Wow - high praise indeed! Thanks very much - that means a lot! It's interesting that you read most of it in an afternoon - did it feel consistent or did it seem disjointed?

Oh, and apologise to your client for me :)

Excellent, excellent stuff. Very sorry to see this end but quite a stupendous ending. It does seem very Suenikan to give away your lands to the very person who will end up overthrowing you. Even more Suenikan that said person is your wife, the legacy of Mira lives on! I do love that Suenik is now part of the realms of a relative of the King of Nubia, is this relative from the same line as the Dongola restored to the throne of Nubia some years ago, only to be promptly conquered again, by that earlier Suenikan ruler (alas, the name of the ruler escapes me now)? I rather hope so!

Oh and this line is fantastic;

A Gardman-Aghbania is punishment for a demon rather than the otherway around! Congratulations on having finished this wonderful epic, I greatly look forward to your next AAR.

The new Count of Suenik is indeed a Dongola! I think he's a relative of the guy that one of the previous Kings gave land on the east coast to. He was certainly the guy seiging the province when it fell.

As for the murderous wife, it certainly seems to be the case that Suenikian men are headstrong lunatics, whilst the women are of an all together more devious mould. I was fortunate in that Mleh had such a long reign that I had plenty of time to develop Mira's character to the extent that she was the standard to which all other female Suenikians were judged!

I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not ;)

Thank you for this great read! I suppose it's fitting that Suenik returns to its beleaguered form in the end. :D

I'm very glad that you enjoyed it. Especially given that you've stuck with it since about day one and didn't get bored and wander off! I'm also rather pleased with the ending - I rather like when AARs are able to close neatly rather than simply going "and it got to 1453 and I couldn't play anymore..."

So.....

He's not being forced to stay with the rest of his kin, then?

I'm sure there's more than a couple of Gardman-Aghbanias in the Pit...

I'll be honest, I'm really sad to see this AAR end but I'm glad that its been resolved and the loose ends have been tied up.

It's been quite a rollercoaster ride reading this and in the end, I must say that you gave it quite a fitting ending. As was said, this is the story of a kingdom that rose from nothingness to become a superpower only to nosedive into nothingness once more.

Brilliant work, good sir, I tip my hat to you. :D

Thank you very much! As since you were a faithful commentator, let me return the tippage!

Pics or it didnt happen as far as I can remember...

It happened all right. If you listen carefully you can hear the screaming...

Ultimis Finis Suenikes Madness!

Thanks for many snickers... ;)

You're welcome - hopefully I can produce something else worthy of snickerage sometime soon!

*sniff*

And I was hoping to see Suenik go up against the Mongols.

Oh well. It was a worthy end.

Given how powerful Suenik was towards the end I doubt the Mongols would even have been able to make a dent! But I'm glad you liked the end anyway.

Oh and don't cry for the Gardman-Aghbanias. With a couple of exceptions they were quite horrible people!

Well done, I am also sad to see it end, but its been very good while it lasted!

Thank you very much and thanks for your patronage!

I for one refuse to be sad about the fact that this stupendously brilliant AAR has come to an end. Now if you excuse me, I'll be over in the corner having a manly cry.
Now, this new project of yours won't be a three-part prequel to Oranjes with faux Jamaican sidekick and a pile of cardboard as the lead, will it?

Thankfully Oranjes and this are seperate projects. I can't quite imagine just how hellish a place the universe would be if Van Moordenaar managed to meet up with the Gardman-Aghbanias and introduced them to Brigadier Menzies-Campbell, could you?

(clearly this will be lost on those not familiar with Oranjes - apolgoies for the in-joke!)

When CK2 comes out, can you do a Suenik-style AAR with it?

If I can get a machine that will actually run it, I might consider it. However, I'd suggest that ANYONE could do an AAR like this - why not give it a go?

Congratulations on playing and reporting such an amusing and compelling game, full of excellent characters and many moments of laughing out loud. It's nice to see Suenik returned to it's original state, surrounded by enemies.

It seems fitting, doesn't it? And thank you very much for your support along the way - having a great bunch of readers made this a complete joy to write.

So, that's it then guys - the end of Suenik. From zero to er...I wouldn't say hero - there was never anything heroic about the Gardman-Aghbanias - but certainly to something much better than Grigor could ever have hoped for, back to beleagueredness.

I thank you one and all for you comments, observations and witticisms along the way. As I said previously, knowing that you lot were reading and commentating made this a complete pleasure to write, and to those of you who offered feedback via PM thank you very much - your honesty is appreciated and all criticism, as long as it is constructive, should always be welcomed by an author - especially if he wants to improve his craft!

For those of you wanting something else to read now that this is finished, may I boldly suggest you take a look at my other AAR - These Oranjes Are Not For Eating? It's in a similar vien to Suenik (IE - not really on the serious side) and can be found lurking in the Victoria forum. Don't be put off if you don't like Victoria - you don't need to know anything about the game or the period to "get" it...

Before Suenik gets filed away in the box marked "Completed AARs" can I ask one more question of you lot? Who was your favourite monarch from this tale and why?

Cheers - and thanks again!

Iain

Before Suenik gets filed away in the box marked "Completed AARs" can I ask one more question of you lot? Who was your favourite monarch from this tale and why?

Krikor II, he was the most interesting character, and the one who allowed for a somewhat different sort of comedy (along the lines of: average Dark Age superpower ruled by plotting, bloodthirsty nutters + a reasonable, decent chap as king = hilarity).

The second spot goes to Bagrat.

In a way it's pointless to answer because them being so different is one of the big strengths of this AAR. But if I had to name one then Aboulgharib. I love the kind of humor he used (resulting from his twisted world view mostly), and he often hit the sweet spot on the sane/insane scale. :D A vengeful megalomaniac, but a functional one.

And there were many defining storylines and moments during his reign. The List of course, the way Toros was dealt with, the institution of the Empire of Greater Suenik... A lot of wacky side characters turned up during his time as well.

Noooooooo... How can this be over? Aren't there any other members of the dynasty to play somewhere? This sucks.

Ah well, its kind of unsurprising it ended like this. Very Suenikian.

And I can't say who my favorite ruler is. They all had their own peculiar mad charm. Except Krikor II, who was a nice contrast to the others, so that's also good. If I have to pick someone, I'll name Aboulgharib , just because so much happened in his reign.

I wish there was a way for this to continue though. I mean, even if it wouldn't be "official", have something where some Gardman-Aghbania continues the madness. Somewhere.

Like Manfred of Sicily, only without being killed.

Yes, I am a hopeless fanboy. But this was way too interesting for not seeing more to not be very disappointing, however good your other AARs are and however fitting it is that it ended like this.

Last edited:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syunik

Just so everyone can see, glorious Suenik weathered the course of ages to become part of modern Armenia.

Best Wikipedia article....E V E R!!!!! It's interesting to note that the real life Grigor managed to rule for *61* years before getting a visit from the Turks. Working on the premise that Wikipedia is the Oracle of the 21st century it appears that Paradox got a few dates wrong, but to be fair to them I hadn't heard of Suenik until I started this AAR, so hey!

Thanks for sharing (and for the alternative spelling!)

Noooooooo... How can this be over? Aren't there any other members of the dynasty to play somewhere? This sucks.

Ah well, its kind of unsurprising it ended like this. Very Suenikian.

And I can't say who my favorite ruler is. They all had their own peculiar mad charm. Except Krikor II, who was a nice contrast to the others, so that's also good. If I have to pick someone, I'll name Aboulgharib , just because so much happened in his reign.

I wish there was a way for this to continue though. I mean, even if it wouldn't be "official", have something where some Gardman-Aghbania continues the madness. Somewhere.

Like Manfred of Sicily, only without being killed.

Yes, I am a hopeless fanboy. But this was way too interesting for not seeing more to not be very disappointing, however good your other AARs are and however fitting it is that it ended like this.

Well, thank you for your support - I'll take your soul crushing dissapointment as a compliment ;)

However, this AAR HAS reached its natural end. Prior to Ruben going bonkers, the Empire of Greater Suenik was a complete monster. Nobody would be able to stand up to it if I decided to throw its weight around, which meant that any ensuing updates would probably become very dull, very quickly.

Sure, I could probably have bimbled along and made up amusing reasons for certain events taking place, but it would have ended up getting pretty stale. Plus, I wager it wouldn't have been that much fun for me to play. When that happens, the AAR becomes a chore, and when it becomes a chore the writing suffers and becomes less frequent. Kind of like that spiel Yoda gives in Episode I about fear leading to anger, anger to hatred, hatred to a bunch of other things I can't remember and eventually leading you hand in hand over to the Dark Side.

Ok, so the Dark Side and Suenik are probably natural bedfellows, but you know what I mean ;)

(besides, Oranjes is the place for Star Wars jokes - not Suenik!)

So, I'm afraid to say, this AAR is well and truly finished. I'm glad it's kept people amused - that was its intent after all!

For those of you not aware, I've started another AAR called the Sleeper. It's in the EU3 forum, and it's my first attempt at something serious. If you are at a loose end with this finishing and are up to date on Oranjes please swing by and take a look. I'd be very interested to know what you think, and more over I would love to have such a great bunch of readers on board with this new AAR from the start!

Cheers,

Iain

Chaps,

I've done something rather silly, and ended up deleting the very first entry in this AAR (following my attempts to update the index).

Don't suppose anyone has a copy or knows how to get it back?

*looks sheepish*

Iain

Last edited:
A bit late to the fave character perhaps, but I'm gonna have to go with Mleh. Crazy sister? Pure gold.

Finally finished this and it was a blast. :) Thoroughly enjoyed all of the different spins on madness, the bad jokes... Sad to see it's ended, but it was a great ride while it lasted (and yes, a tidy ending sure beats a 'running down the clock' ending).

I think my favorite ruler was Aboulgharib. Yes, mentally unbalanced (as all Gardman-Aghbanias), but my god, did he manage to channel it into something constructive. :)

Well, off to the Vicky forums next!

Thanks for the reply Stuyvesant - Aboulgharib is certainly proving a favourite :)

On a different note, can I urge you all to go and vote on the ACAs. This isn't a "go and vote for Suenik" post (even I'm not that shameless) but rather me urging you to support what I believe to be an important, integral part of the community. You've all been kind enough to support this AAR in the past - go and lend your support to some others now that this one is fnished!