• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1eur.png

already then they had euros!

:D Great find!

Why can Scotland and Ireland leave the Union but Wales and England cannot?

England and Wales aren't countries. I suspect this is because Great Britain is fairly synonymous with England in most people's eyes (the Great Britain tag is ENG, incidentally), and the last serious talk of Welsh secession was hundreds of years before the game starts, where the Irish and Scottish were still talking about it.

England and Wales aren't countries. I suspect this is because Great Britain is fairly synonymous with England in most people's eyes (the Great Britain tag is ENG, incidentally), and the last serious talk of Welsh secession was hundreds of years before the game starts, where the Irish and Scottish were still talking about it.

I know being American we constantly interchange between England, GB, and UK favoring the former two as for Wales I feel there still is an idea of Welsh nationalism but more in the form of better representation rather then independence like the Scots want. The Welsh don't like that the Union Jack has no representation of them yet it has the English, Scottish, and Irish elements in it.

Hmm yes I have wondered a few times why the tag isn't just UK or UNK or even GBR. Makes us English seem like we forced the Scottish king to form the United Kingdom..

Minchandre said:
England and Wales aren't countries. I suspect this is because Great Britain is fairly synonymous with England in most people's eyes

Then most people are wrong. As a British (Scottish) person myself, I can state that categorically.

The whole point about Great Britain was that it comprised Scotland as well as England and Wales. Each of these three countries is a constituent part of Great Britain - hence the country name cannot refer to the entity of Great Britain unless each part is included. Take away Scotland, and you're basically left with the pre-1707 Kingdom of England (which included Wales as annexed territory).

I don't even think the Germans call our nation by the correct term nowadays either. Correct me if I'm wrong but they say 'Grossbrittanien' when it isn't it is the United Kingdom.
The term "Vereinigtes Königreich" (United Kingdom) exists, but Großbritannien or England are used synonymously. But hey, everybody calls the Netherlands Holland, so you're not alone. :)

Hmm yes I have wondered a few times why the tag isn't just UK or UNK or even GBR. Makes us English seem like we forced the Scottish king to form the United Kingdom..

Just to say, it wasn't a king but a queen who united the kingdoms in 1707, and if she technically was of a scottish dynasty, she never lived in Scotland, so she was more an Englishwoman. And the english don't reeally have history on their side concerning the independance of scotland ^^

I don't even think the Germans call our nation by the correct term nowadays either. Correct me if I'm wrong but they say 'Grossbrittanien' when it isn't it is the United Kingdom.

United Kingdom isn't you nation's name, it is it's title. Which is why the adjective is "British", and not "Unitedkingdomnish".

The term "Vereinigtes Königreich" (United Kingdom) exists, but Großbritannien or England are used synonymously. But hey, everybody calls the Netherlands Holland, so you're not alone. :)

All Americans call Denmark for Holland...

Dane: "I live in Denmark"
American: "Cool you live in Holland"
Dane: " -.- "

Of course this isn't meant evil in no way and i guess the Americans on this forum now what Denmark is. :p

who calls germany federal rebublic of germany .... we all use abbreviations

Yes, we say "Germany" (and not "Federal Republic" ;)), just like in German it is just "Grossbrittanien".

All Americans call Denmark for Holland...

Dane: "I live in Denmark"
American: "Cool you live in Holland"
Dane: " -.- "

Of course this isn't meant evil in no way and i guess the Americans on this forum now what Denmark is. :p

I'm American, and I"ve never once heard Denmark called Holland. Holland is a term we use for the Netherlands. But while we're on the topic of mislabeling people and nations, imagine how the Pennsylvania Dutch feel. They've been called Dutch and Dutchmen for hundreds of years. And there is not a drop of Dutch in them. They're 100% Deutsch.

I'm American, and I"ve never once heard Denmark called Holland. Holland is a term we use for the Netherlands. But while we're on the topic of mislabeling people and nations, imagine how the Pennsylvania Dutch feel. They've been called Dutch and Dutchmen for hundreds of years. And there is not a drop of Dutch in them. They're 100% Deutsch.

Yeah, but they call everyone else English, so fair's far. ;)

Aren't they more like swiss?
The term "Amish" stems from a swiss surname AFAIK.

EDIT: Then again, it's called "Schweizerdeutsch" for a reason... stupid me.