• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
An interesting tidbit: I choose to close the message log. You know how the log creates a small area where you can see the map but it doesn't respond to a click? That has cost me a few months here on two separate occasions, and I don't have time to read the log anyway, so I guess I'll only keep it open while at peace.

yeah, that is a feature that troubled me for months before I actually figured out the cause... though I am amazed that you had the log opened until now :D

looks like "Blitzkrieg" is not meant for human players in EU3 :)

yeah, that is a feature that troubled me for months before I actually figured out the cause... though I am amazed that you had the log opened until now :D

looks like "Blitzkrieg" is not meant for human players in EU3 :)

Hah, no. :D

Like I mentioned in the opening post, my message settings are heavily edited. Only stuff like peace deals or declarations of independence, as well as events that have to do with me, go into the log in this game, so glancing at it every now and then at least gives me some idea what's going on around Europe. It might be that I don't really need to know, but I'm curious. ;)

don't want to be impolite but it looks like in this case your first priority should be the events that take place around your capital :D

Haha, yes indeed, that's why closing the log seemed smart. ;)

Session Eight
Aug 1454-Feb 1459

As always, the great thing about the pause between the sessions is that it gives me the opportunity to plan ahead. I think I know which Granadan provinces have been held by the rebels the longest, so one of my stacks will reclaim those to try and avoid an independent Granada, then head for Vizcaya to take the Basque patriots out of the picture to avoid defection there. Meanwhile, the other army will have full pressure on Portugal, and I'll be on the lookout for peace with Tyrone.

Shockingly, all of this goes according to plan. Granadan occupation is greatly reduced, the Basques are beaten, 92 ducats is enough to pay off Tyrone, and peace with Portugal is eventually signed for two provinces.

Unfortunately, it's too little, too late as the rebels turn out to be too much and we collapse, leading to a big free Granada.

26.jpg

I don't have time to react to the huge army that we suddenly have due to some of the rebels taking our banner I suppose. Before I'm able to disband enough, we've taken an absolute boatload of loans, and soon afterwards we're bankrupt. Oops.

I guess that it's safe to say that this experiment failed, as expected to be frank, so I pause despite the fact that we're only three minutes in. Turns out that winning a war against a country of some power was possible, but it also left Castille in rotten shape - shape that's impossible to recover from under these rules. The sad thing is that I came pretty close to success in that conflict: the war was won, and I wouldn't have needed more than a year or two to get rid of the rebels. Sadly, my nation couldn't stay intact that long.

27.jpg

Due to that there's some temptation to try this again, maybe with a mouse (I lost plenty of time due to messing around with the touchpad, perhaps enough to get the rebels under control?) or in HTTT (which I'm better at, and where the war AI is worse), or with all popups turned off (I'm starting to suspect that they do more harm than good), maybe after some practice runs, but at least for now, it's time for...

The End

Time elapsed:
59 years 4 months / 38 minutes (i.e. nineteen times as long as my test game, what an improvement!)
for an average of one year, six months and twenty-two days per minute or nine and a half days per second.

I am really sad to see this - and also quite amazed that you achieved all this using a touchpad!

I am certainly looking forward to see you again in something... well, ok... not very similar to this. :D

Nobody can claim this AAR overstayed its welcome ;)

Still, it's amazing how much we rely on the pause key in PI games and don't realize it.

I am really sad to see this - and also quite amazed that you achieved all this using a touchpad!

:rofl: It was a silly and unnecessary (gameplay-wise) rule, I admit. But without it I'd have wanted to play with a mouse, of course, and as I don't carry a mouse with me on the road, playing this game wouldn't have served one of its purposes: my traveling entertainment.

I am certainly looking forward to see you again in something... well, ok... not very similar to this. :D

I'm always around. :) But don't be too shocked if I make a 2.0 of this AAR at some point... No promises, but I do find the concept intriguing.

well that was quite amazing, definitely a great experiment.

Its ironic that it was a huge increase in your military power that did for you

Thanks. :) At least I discovered one new shocking fact in this experiment: Paradox grand strategy games are capable of causing an adrenaline rush after all. :D

Yeah, funny isn't it? Out of all the things that could have gone wrong, my ultimate downfall was the inability to disband armies quickly enough! Who would have thought? Of course plenty of other things went wrong there, but that was the back breaker that made the situation impossible to recover from.

Nobody can claim this AAR overstayed its welcome ;)

Still, it's amazing how much we rely on the pause key in PI games and don't realize it.

Haha, hey, done in less than a month! I guess that for someone with my meticulous AAR writing tendencies, making sure that you lose in thirty-eight minutes of gameplay is the only way to spend under a year on an AAR.

I fully realize that I spend a lot of time on pause - I belong to the "when in doubt, have a cup of tea" school of Paradox gaming. ;) But for anyone who doesn't realize that and thinks that the game has no challenge anymore, try playing without it, preferably with a fast computer, and be prepared to find out how wrong you are! :happy:

Seriously, video games have rarely given me a feeling of accomplishment so strong as the one after that Portuguese peace deal. Sadly, I couldn't fully savor it as I collapsed about ten seconds later. :D

That was still a great experiment. I'd be tempted to try with V2 but the events are modal now in AHD. CK2 could be fun also, though you may end up marrying a relative to someone's cat...

Maybe it's worth a future try at speed 4?

Obviously, your downfall was declaring peace.

IIRC countries cannot collapse (or at least "do not tend to collapse") while they are at war - am I correct?

Exactly. It was added to NA to stop turboannexation.

That was still a great experiment. I'd be tempted to try with V2 but the events are modal now in AHD. CK2 could be fun also, though you may end up marrying a relative to someone's cat...

Haha, true! :) Besides, it would be a shame to play CK II without actually reading the events...

Maybe it's worth a future try at speed 4?

Nah, that's entirely playable. One reason why I normally play at max speed and pause a lot is because the second fastest speed is so slow.

For comparison's sake: I just fired up EU III to test this, started with Castille and did everything that I did in the first twelve months of this game, and a bit more. When I was done it was still November 1399. :p

Though now that I think about it, maybe there's some mod that slows the game down enough to make it somewhat manageable, but little enough for it to stay hectic (as opposed to, say, the MEIOU version I'm playing in Children of the Sun which is closer to vanilla speed 4 than the maximum)? Of course, that wouldn't be as hardcore as this, so I don't know... Hmm, a lot of options to consider.

Obviously, your downfall was declaring peace.

Haha, so it seems. :)

IIRC countries cannot collapse (or at least "do not tend to collapse") while they are at war - am I correct?

I wouldn't know - ordinarily, collapsing isn't my thing! :rofl: If it does affect it, one way to survive might be to start some phony war to go along with the real war, then not peace out before the rebels are gone... Interesting, I'll have to try it.

Exactly. It was added to NA to stop turboannexation.

Ah of course, I remember that! :) Looks like something I might exploit then if I do try again.

Awww, sad to see this end. It was fun following along. I'm not sure if it makes much of a difference on a fast computer, but for my computer, speed 5 is faster or slower depending on map mode and zoom level.

Very impressive, I'm going to have to try this style of gameplay sometime. A pity it ended so soon but if you ever got very large things would be nigh impossible to manage. Perhaps someplace suitably isolated like Scandinavia, England, or Japan would work better.

Awww, sad to see this end. It was fun following along. I'm not sure if it makes much of a difference on a fast computer, but for my computer, speed 5 is faster or slower depending on map mode and zoom level.

Hmm, I did play more zoomed in than usual, which is a bit slower. Mostly because DW broke (in my opinion, I guess it's a "feature") the army size display as well as army/province selection when you're zoomed out, and I didn't have time to mess with those here, but also because zoomed out is indeed even faster.

I don't know too much about any effects map mode might have. What have you noticed about this?

Very impressive, I'm going to have to try this style of gameplay sometime. A pity it ended so soon but if you ever got very large things would be nigh impossible to manage. Perhaps someplace suitably isolated like Scandinavia, England, or Japan would work better.

Thanks, I can certainly recommend giving it a try!

I don't think Scandinavia or Japan are quite strong enough (don't know much about DW Japan though), and England has these little problems called France and Burgundy... No way it's possible to properly use the wooden wall playing like this, and those guys are going to DoW every single time.

Somehow this seems much more historical than the average EU3 game. Great AAR!

Thanks! That's one effect it does have. :)

I'm a bit sad to see this AAR end, I was wondering what kind of kooky things will come up next.

Want to provide a world map just to see how the world played out?

Yeah it's a bit of a shame, but what can you say... I got the opportunity I wanted, but just barely couldn't take advantage of it. I might practice a bit and give it another go. :)

Certainly:

28.jpg

Rather stable I'd say. I guess Qara Koyunlu, Sicily and whatever is going on in West Africa are the biggest surprises.

Zoomed out political map goes really fast. I use it when waiting for Europeans to come to me so that I can westernize. The trade map lags my game. That's all I noticed really; I haven't messed around with it that much.