• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Venice

Chapter 25

[May 7, 1364]

(Crete, Venice)

"Theo," called out Zeno, "find your brother now!"

Theo nodded and ran down the trail leading to the village. His little brother, Kratos, went to the village with his friends. Theo needed to get to the village and grab his brother before meeting up with his father.

Zeno, Theo's father, learned that a Venetian navy was sighted near the island. Fearing the worst, Zeno wanted his two sons to escape to the mountains. Theo understood that something bad was about to take place but his father has yet to disclose anything to him. Whenever he asked, his father would tell him that he was too young. Despite being only eight years old, Theo was more mature than most kids his age. Still, Theo knew better than to argue with his father. His mother died a few years ago and he, along with Kratos, were the only family Zeno had. Zeno was being overprotective of his two sons but, luckily for him, his sons understood.

Theo dashed down the trail avoiding all the other pedestrians. He noticed that many people were heading up the mountain and, amongst them, many were children his age or younger. He made his way into the village and found his brother helping one of his friend's family loading up their cart. Kratos looked up and saw his brother.

"Big brother!" he screamed out and ran to Theo.

Kratos was only four years old and the two brothers were very attached. Whenever Zeno was out working, Theo was responsible for looking over his little brother. Thus, their bond grew strong and Kratos trusted Theo with his life.

"What are you doing here?" asked Kratos as he embraced his bigger brother.

"Father is looking for you," replied Theo. "Let's go up the mountain."

"Okay," he said before turning towards his friend. "Meet you at the top of the mountain," he screamed as he waved at his friend.

Kratos' friend waved back and screamed, "See you there!"

Theo grabbed Kratos' hand and they began making their way up the trail. Weaving through the crowds, they eventually made their way to their father.

"What were you up to, Kratos?" asked Zeno.

"I was helping a friend pack up, father," responded Kratos.

"At least you were helping out instead of playing. Let's get to the top," said Zeno and he took the lead.

Theo and Kratos followed behind. Zeno slowed down his pace so his two sons can keep up. The ascent up the mountain took half an hour and they made it to a series of caves. Theo and Kratos were told the caves were made by their ancestors to escape a major catastrophe. Zeno never explained what the catastrophe was and his sons never asked. Seeing the worried faces of the adults, Theo felt the urge to ask about the last catastrophe. However, he knew that it would be more wise to ask when his little brother wasn't around. Zeno took the lead again and his sons followed closely. They arrived at a large cave that was already housing many families. Theo recognized most of the inhabitants and wondered what could force so many from his village to the caves. Kratos, oblivious to everything, joined his friends and they started playing a game of catch.

Theo was watching his brother playing when someone tapped him on the shoulder. He turned around and saw Philippe, his father's friend, standing there.

"Theo, can you give me a hand?" he asked.

"Sure," replied Theo and he followed Philippe to where his cart was at.

Apparently, one of the wheels fell off and Philippe needed help lifting the cart so someone can put the wheel back onto the axle. Waiting by the cart was Philippe's daughter, Aldora. Theo had a small crush on Aldora but he was too shy to admit it to her.

"Hey, Theo," she called out.

Theo, with his tongue tied up as usual when he was around Aldora, merely nodded and smiled back at her. He quickly made his way past Aldora and went straight to work. He, along with three other men, lifted the cart while Philippe attached the wheel back on. As soon as the task was done, Philippe thanked everyone and proceeded forward. Aldora silently crept behind Theo.

"Why didn't you answer back?" she asked.

Theo was startled and Aldora laughed at his display. Theo hated that he made a fool of himself in front of Aldora.

"Aldora," Philippe called, "stop teasing Theo and let's get going!"

Before Aldora followed after her father, she give Theo a kiss on the cheek. Theo, surprised by the kiss, stood there like a statue until someone behind him gave him a shove. Theo steadied himself, turned around and saw his friend, Demetrius, standing right there.

"How was the kiss?" Demetrius asked.

"I don't know what you're talking about," replied Theo.

"You're not doing a good job hiding it. You're blushing too much."

"No, I'm not!"

Demetrius laughed and began making his way to the caves. Theo, annoyed with his friend, decided to give chase so he could clarify everything. Deep inside, he really liked the kiss on his cheek.

Venice

Chapter 26

[May 10, 1364]

(Crete, Venice)

Theo woke up to the sound of someone crying. He sat up and rubbed his eyes. Looking around him, he located the source of the noise. Denes, a three year old boy, couldn't find his mother and started crying. Aldora was holding him in her arms and tried to comfort him. Beside him, Kratos was also woken up by the noise.

"Is it morning?" he asked.

Theo looked towards the cave entrance and saw some light.

"It's still early," he said. "Go back to sleep."

Kratos obeyed without question and fell asleep immediately. Theo got up and walked over to Aldora who has managed to calm Denes down. Denes looked up and saw Theo.

"Where's my mommy?" he asked.

"She's probably making breakfast," Theo replied.

"Will she make my favorite?"

"Yes, she would," said Aldora. "You better get back to sleep or you might not get some."

Denes quickly laid down on his back and closed his eyes. Moments later, he was asleep and Aldora got up. Aldora grabbed Theo by his hand and went to the cave entrance.

"Thanks for helping me," she said.

Theo's tongue was tied up again and he stayed quiet.

"Aren't you going to say anything?" asked Aldora.

"... I like you," said Theo.

"I like you too," replied Aldora as she gave Theo a kiss to the cheek.

Theo blushed and Aldora was laughing quietly.

"Where do you think the adult are at?" asked Aldora.

"I think they are at the city," responded Theo.

"Will they be alright?"

"I don't know. I cannot bear losing my father."

"Me neither."

"There are still many children here. Imagine telling Denes that his mother won't be coming back."

"I hope I won't be the bearer of bad news."

"Why is this happening? Why can't we live peaceful lives?"

"I ask my father but he never gives a straight answer."

"Does he say that we are too young?"

"Yes."

"I know they are trying to protect us but I don't like being kept in the dark."

"Let's just hope everyone is alright."

"I hope so too."

The two youths sat down just outside the cave entrance. They looked in the distance and saw smoke coming out from the city. Aldora, disturbed by what news could come, rested her head on Theo's shoulder and started weeping.

"Try to have faith," said Theo.

"I'm just worried," replied Aldora.

"I'm worried too but we must stay strong. We are the oldest in this cave."

"I understand."

Aldora wiped away her tears and snuggled closer to Theo. A moment of silence passed before Theo broke it.

"I want you to have this."

Theo reached into his pocket and took out a pendant. Aldora took over the pendant and was amazed by its design.

"It's beautiful," she said. "What bird is this?"

"I believed it's an eagle."

"I didn't know you collect beautiful things."

"This belonged to my mother. She told me to give the pendant to the girl I love. Just as my father gave it to her."

"I promise I'll take good care of it."

Aldora quickly put the pendant over her neck.

"How do I look?" she asked.

"Like a goddess."

Aldora leaned over and kissed Theo on the mouth. This time, Theo got so embarrassed that he failed to utter any words for the next half hour. Aldora merely leaned onto his shoulder and soon fell asleep.

Venice

Chapter 27

[May 21, 1368]

(Crete, Venice)

Theo joined the other men in gathering everything. The Venetian republic has sent another army and they were close to the caves the rebels have been sheltered in. Women and children were already sent to the nearby boats set sail to Greece. There were still some supplies that needed to be gathered and delivered to the boats. Theo and the men worked hard and, before long, only he and Demetrius were left.

"Let get out of here before the soldiers get here," said Demetrius.

"You got that right," answered Theo.

Just as the two youths were making their way down the trail to the boats, they heard sound of soldiers marching up from the other side. Looking behind them, they realized that the soldiers were closer than they thought and began to dash downhill hoping to outrun their pursuers. The two youths were dashing quickly when they heard a scream up ahead. They looked up ahead and saw one of their own soldiers falling down the cliff clutching an arrow that went through his heart. Theo took a quick look and realized that the soldier was the only one manning the trap that would cut off the soldiers.

"You go ahead!" shouted Theo as he made a detour to the trap.

Demetrius realized what was happening and knew that his friend wanted him to keep going. Holding back the tears in his eyes, he kept running forward and prayed that his friend would be captured alive and be spared from torture. As for Theo, he pushed himself to his limits until he stood by the trap. Risking a peek downwards, he saw his friend already past the position below him. With the Venetian soldiers close behind, he didn't hesitate in removing the logs. The logs were holding back multiple boulders that were by the edge of the cliff. The moment the logs were removed, the boulders went crashing down the crushed any Venetian soldiers unfortunate enough to be underneath. The remainder of the soldiers were cut off and had to go the long way if they hoped to get to the boats with the rebels. For Theo, he didn't have time to admire his handiwork. A detachment of soldiers were sent after him and he already wasted time setting the trap into motion. He made a split second decision and began dashing towards the direction of the boats.

Aldora waited on the deck of the boat waiting for Theo. When she saw Demetrius, she thought that Theo would be reunited with her shortly. However, the seconds passed by and she still didn't see Theo. When Demetrius arrived aboard the boat, she immediately confronted him.

"Where's Theo?!" she demanded.

Demetrius could no longer hold back his tears.

"He stayed back to release the trap. He's gone," said Demetrius.

Aldora couldn't believe what she was hearing. She knew that her love did what he could to protect everyone but that doesn't dull the pain. Meanwhile, the captain and Demetrius were talking but Aldora didn't hear a thing. She was still trying to accept the reality that Theo was gone. Aldora didn't know how much time passed but she suddenly heard someone calling her name. She looked around until she located the person. She saw Theo on a cliff calling down for her. She waved back and suddenly realized that Theo was about to jump from the cliff. Aldora looked around for something that could give her reach but found nothing. When she looked up again, she saw Theo look back before jumping off the cliff. Aldora subconsciously reached to her neck and felt her pendant. Knowing that the pendant was the only thing she had, she took it off her neck and held it with her right hand. She ran to the edge of the boat and, relying on instinct, swung the pendant outwards. Theo, catching sight of the pendant, reached for it and barely grabbed it with his right hand. Both Aldora and Theo prayed that the string would hold and, miraculously, the string refused to break under Theo's weight. By then, many men aboard the boat caught sight of what happened and helped Aldora get Theo aboard the boat. As for the pursuers, they stopped atop the cliff wondering where the youth they were chasing went.

"You stupid oaf!" screamed Aldora as she embraced Theo.

Theo embraced back and the two were stuck that way until lunch.

"Don't do that again," said Aldora.

"I'll try my best. Good thinking with the pendant," responded Theo.

"I'm afraid it fell into the sea when we tried to get you aboard."

"The pendant got me a wife and saved my life. I'd say it deserves a proper rest."

"I haven't agreed to being your wife."

"You haven't? I guess I have to keep looking then."

"Just kidding!"

"Me too."

Theo kissed Aldora and she kissed him back.

"Let's go eat!"

"That's all you can think of, Theo?"

"Don't worry. I'll spend some quality time with you after lunch."

Nation 8 - Ottomans
Prologue 8

[March 2, 2001]

(Matala, Crete)

A man put on his scuba gear and entered the water. He dived down until he reached the sea floor. The man moved around in a grid formation to cover every inch of the sea floor in the designated area. Halfway through, the man was having doubts with the information he received. Since driving to the airport in Istanbul, he took the quickest flight to Crete where his fake passport worked its charm. However, he wasn't too thrilled when he learned that the information he was relying on based on an old journal in a village in Greece. Still, his boss ordered him to do the job and the man would have to do his best. Combing through the imaginary grid carefully, the man didn't find anything. Suddenly, he detected a presence behind him. He turned around and found himself staring at a great white shark swimming just above the sea floor.

The man was wondering about his chances of encountering a great white sharks in these parts of the Mediterranean. He wish he was as lucky in finding the pendant his boss was searching for. At the moment, he must deal with the shark. The man wasn't sure what the intentions of the shark was but he knew a bite would ruin his day. Bleeding in these waters could bring more shark assuming his blood loss doesn't kill him first. Not taking his eyes off the shark, he made sure he was ready for any attack. The seconds passed by slowly but the shark appeared to be uninterested in the man. It swam away and the man started breathing normally. He looked back at the sea floor and noticed an object reflecting light. He swam closer, did a little digging and found the pendant he was searching for. He looked back at the shark and realized that, had the shark not pass by and disturb the sand, he probably wouldn't have found the pendant. Going through the proper procedures, the man eventually surfaced and returned to his boat. He then made his way to land.

-2 hours later-

Following a quick shower in his room within a hotel, he picked up his phone and dialed the familiar number. After one ring, the other person picked up.

"I've found the pendant," said the man.

"Excellent! Are you up for another trip or do you need a rest?"

"I'm up for it."

"Go to Tunis."

The other person hanged up and the man went to bed preparing for the next day.

NegUqul.png

Our eighth nation will be the Ottomans. The starting date is July 21, 1650. You are a European renegade that has learned your trade as a privateer. Your country no longer needs you but you got to find some ways to earn a living. With the skills you acquired and reliable contacts, you learn of an opportunity where the Barbary Pirates are recruiting experienced men. You knew the risks but you also knew the rewards. Will you come out ahead and make a name for yourself? Or will you be captured and be executed before a large crowd?

If you wish to participate, please PM me a character with the following info:
-name

As for the fate of your characters, you will have to wait and find out.

Ottomans

Chapter 28

[July 21, 1650]

(Somewhere in the Atlantic)

"All hands on deck!" shouted the lookout. "British Man-of-War spotted!"

The corsairs aboard the ship hurried to their stations. They believed that they were simply raiding a British shipping lanes and never expected to encounter actual battle. For many of the corsairs, this would be their first battle. The corsairs have previously captured a few merchant vessels but they were faced off against defenseless men. Upon hearing that a Man-of-War was approaching them, the corsairs worried about their fate. Their medium size vessel was swift on the water but chances are the enemy was simply too close for them to run. They had to fight and hoped to disengage when the opportunity arises.

Few minutes later, the cannon crews were ready at their positions and powder monkeys waited behind them. Both vessels were maneuvering so that their cannons faced the broadside of the other vessel. Seconds ticked by as the corsairs waited for the command to fire. When the order was given, the cannon crews lit their fuse and their cannons bombarded the other vessel. In response, they would soon experience shock waves from the cannonballs fired by the other vessels. The ships traded cannon bombardments and both sides were losing men. The captain of the corsairs was a patient fox who waited for an opportunity to disengage. He waited until the two vessels have just traded cannon fire before lowering the sails so the French vessel could take off before the Man-of-War could maneuver into position to give chase. The plan would have worked had luck been by the captain's side.

The brief escape was cut off when another British Man-of-War appeared out of nowhere. The Man-of-War was already positioned to give chase while bombarding the French vessel. At first, the captain thought that he had a chance to outrun both Man-of-War. However, a few concentrated cannon shots managed to rip through the sails and slowed the French vessel down. It didn't take much before the corsairs surrendered following the bombardments of two Man-of-War. The British sailors boarded the French vessel before one of the British captains boarded the ship too. The British captain stood before his captives and scanned the faces.

"I am seeking a man called François," he said. "Bring me and you will be treated decently. Continue to hide him and you will all suffer. What is your decision?"

A translator translated all of it to the captives. The captives looked amongst themselves before a powder monkey stepped forward. The powder monkey was about to speak when a pistol was fired. The powder monkey lost parts of his head and everyone turned to see a man pointing a pistol at the powder monkey. Before anyone could react, the British captain charged at the man with his small sword drawn while the man drew his cutlass. The two dueled out for a few rounds before the man was forced to the edge of the deck. The captain delivered a few stabs that drew blood and caused the man to lose balance. Before the man could steady himself, the captain tackled him over the rails into the ocean.

"Goodbye, François," said the captain as he looked overboard. "I hope you like the company of sharks."

François saw himself falling face first into the water. He didn't know whether it was his imagination or the fact that he actually saw shark fins before he hit the water. The impact from the water nearly knocked him out but he held on to control. Before he could swim back to the surface, a shark swam right at him with its jaws open.

(Tunis, Ottomans)

François sat up from his bed drenched in sweat. He looked around the room and remembered that he arrived in Tunis. The nightmare he just had has been haunting him for nearly a year. He woke up every time just as the shark was about to take a bite out of him. With his heart still pounding against his chest, François walked over to a small hole that overlook the street outside the inn. It was still dark out but François knew that he couldn't return back to sleep. Putting on his coat, he left his small room and headed downstairs. Along the way, he heard the snoring of the other lodgers and wished that he could be like them. When he arrived downstairs, he saw a bartender and a man called Mut. Mut turned to see who arrived downstairs and smiled when he saw François.

"François," he said, "come join me."

When François first arrived in Tunis, Mut was one of the first people he met. Mut was fluent in French which made communicating between them easier. François also liked Mut because he felt they were similar in many ways. Mut, like François, would do any job if the pay was good. When Mut stated that he would sell his mother if someone was willing to pay a high price, François instantly took a liking to the man. Of course, Mut served another purpose. François was new to the region and needed someone to get him a job. Rumors say that the Barbary Corsairs were recruiting the best to join their ranks. If François could get Mut to use his connections, he might avoid starting at the bottom and do the mundane tasks like mopping. François nodded to his new friend and headed over.

"Can't sleep?" asked Mut.

"Nightmare," replied François.

"What could make a man like you cower?"

"A shark."

"Ah, they are incredible predators. Still, they normally stay away from humans."

"I was bleeding in the nightmare."

"Walking the plank?"

"Something like that."

"Yet you still dare to go back on the waters?"

"I need to make ducats. I also have a score to settle."

"Revenge and greed can get a man ahead of others."

"My thoughts exactly."

"I found a worthy crew to join. Care to join me?"

"How could I refuse such an offer?"

Ottomans

Chapter 29

[July 22, 1650]

(Tunis, Ottomans)

François followed Mut to the port. Many ships were docked there and Mut kept walking until they arrived before a medium size vessel.

"Behold the Janissary!" stated Mut.

"Interesting? This is the best vessel in all of Ottomans?" asked François.

"It's the best vessel available to us pirates. It's swift in the water and has enough cannons to put up a good fight."

"I just hope the crew isn't terrible."

"Well, if it isn't François."

François and Mut looked up and saw a European staring down at them.

"Is that you, Paule?" shouted François. "I thought you were held prisoner by the British."

Paule leaped off the vessel and walked up to François.

"Those British can't hold me," he said. "I'm just surprised you're still alive."

"It takes a lot more than sharks to get rid of me," replied François.

"You two can chat later," interrupted Mut. "I still need to introduce François to the captain aboard the ship."

"I'll come along," replied Paule. "I could help convince the captain that François is actually some use to him."

"If he took you in, Paul," said François, "I have no doubt I can get a spot."

Paule laughed and led the party to the captain's quarters. He knocked on the door and heard a grunt. Opening the door, Paule allowed Mut to go in first and entered last. The captain's quarters was quite small with maps, compass and his other possessions. The captain looked up and saw the three men enter.

"Who is this?" barked the captain in Turkish.

"He was a former corsair. He now seeks new employment," replied Mut in Turkish.

"Why is the Frenchman here as well?"

"The Frenchman knows the other man. They belonged in the same ship."

"Why are you here then?"

"I didn't know they know each other. Otherwise, I would let the Frenchman do the talking."

"What makes this man special?"

"He is that European rumored to have survived on the open seas for nearly a week."

"This is him? I'm not impressed."

"Why don't we test him? Pit him against someone aboard the ship."

"I like that idea. You get him armed with a cutlass. I'll find his opponent."

The captain stood up and left his quarters. François and Paule were surprised by his departure and immediately turned to Mut.

"What was that all about?" asked François.

"He wants to see what you're made of," responded Mut. "He will find a crew member to fight you one on one."

"Cutlass?"

"Yes, of course."

"I'm up for the challenge."

Mut led the two men to the deck where he got a cutlass from one of the Turkish corsair. He handed it to François who tried it out a few times. Satisfied with the weapon in his hand, he looked around in search of his opponent. The captain was talking with a young man who seemed no older than eighteen years old. The young man nodded his head after the instructions were given to him and drew his cutlass. The captain came over to François and gestured, with his hands, the area they would fight in. François nodded and entered the "ring" drawn out by the captain. Other crew members stopped their tasks and gathered around to watch the spectacle. They began to cheer for the pirate they believe would win the duel. The young man entered the "ring" and the duel would begin.

The two men started by circling each other and sizing up the other person. François decided to do a feint first but the young man didn't even flinch. Seeing the reaction, François knew that he was up against someone experienced. For a few seconds, neither men moved and the ocean breeze blew past them. When the breeze ended, the young man attempted a stab which François blocked with ease. François then backed up slightly before slashing down at his opponent. The young man dodged it with ease and they were at square one again. The two traded multiple blows but neither could draw bloody from his opponent. The duel lasted a few minutes before the captain signaled it to end. Both the young man and François exited the "ring" while everyone else reluctantly returned to work. Before the young man walked out of the ring, he said the word "Apa" to François. François, confused by his comment, walked over to Mut.

"Not bad," said Mut.

"He said something that sounded like Apa," replied François. "What does it mean?"

"Apa is his name. We share our names to those we found as worthy opponents."

"I see. He's pretty good and he's young too."

"I'm surprise you haven't heard of him. Apa has made quite a name for himself."

"Sorry to interrupt but I believe the captain is waiting for François," said Paule.

François and Mut turned around and saw the captain standing outside his quarters with a smile.

"He's in a good mood," said Mut. "You might get a high rank when you join."

"Good," said François, "I'm not in the mood to mop the deck."

Ottomans

Chapter 30

[August 17, 1650]

(Somewhere in the Mediterranean)

François and Apa followed the pirate captain as they inspect their new ship. The ship belonged to a merchant who traveled the waters without an escort. Upon seeing the pirate ship, the captain of the ship ordered the crew to head for a local town. What the captain didn't know was that the town he was entering had a small garrison due to the constant raiding of pirates in the region. As a result, the town offered no protection and the ship was seized. The crew and the merchants were surrounded by armed corsairs and they surrendered without any resistance. The captives were put in chains before they were herded onto the pirate ship. The pirate captain wanted to inspect his new prize and had François and Apa join him. They checked the outward appearance of the ship which seemed satisfactory. When they went below deck to the storage, they were greeted by a sizable store of goods. François knew from experience that the goods would fetch an excellent price on the market and that he would get a share of it. After the brief inspection, the pirate captain ordered some of his men to man the prize ship while staying aboard his own ship. The two ships would make its way to Tunis where many transactions would take place. François was returning to his quarters when he found Mut waiting outside his cabin.

"How are you, my friend?" asked Mut.

"I'm surprised to see you here," replied François. "I thought you would be guarding the slaves."

"Me? No way. I'm not staying below decks with those men."

"Are you afraid?"

"I'm not afraid, my friend. I just don't want them to ruin my day."

"Well, come inside then."

The two men entered the cabin and Mut closed the door behind him.

"What is it you want to talk about?" François sat down on his bunk to get comfortable.

"Well, I'm not sure if you heard but they say a couple of British Man-of-War were spotted in the Mediterranean."

"Is that all? Why do you fear to speak publicly?"

"The news might bring panic to the crew."

"I thought the captain picked the best."

"Well, I did mention more than one Man-of-War."

"A fleet?"

"There were reports that a fleet was sent into the Mediterranean."

"They are determined to take out the Barbary Pirates then."

"I don't think that is their objective."

"What is?"

"They are trying to establish their naval might everywhere. The Dutch is their target."

"I'm assuming they are fighting over colonies."

"I wouldn't be surprised."

"We somehow got caught in this."

"Exactly."

François thought back to his plunge in the water. With a wound bleeding and a shark nearby, he had no time to think. Instead, he relied on his instinct and evaded the shark the best he could. During his evasions, he caught sight of his cutlass and swam as quickly as he could to retrieve it. When he reached it, the shark came in for another attack. Preparing himself, François managed to get below the shark and drive his cutlass into the beast. The shark struggled but its struggling only resulted in more blood loss. François, while getting weak from his blood loss, gathered whatever strength he had and swam away from the British Man-of-War. He found a piece of floating debris along the way and lost consciousness. Suddenly, he felt someone tapping his shoulder. François reached for his head.

"Are you alright?" asked Mut.

"Just a headache," responded François.

"You're not getting sick, are you?"

"No, I'm fine. I just thought back to the nightmare."

"The shark?"

"Yes, I have a feeling it will haunt me for the rest of my life."

"Unless..."

"Unless what?"

"If you get a chance to slay that man that knocked you overboard, the nightmare might haunt you no more."

"I want revenge but I'm not stupid. It's suicide if I decide to go after him."

"Remember, there are British Man-of-War in the region. You might encounter him whether you want to or not."

"I guess you're right."

A knock on the door interrupted the conversation. The person announced that lunch was ready and left. François and Mut left the cabin and headed to the dining hall.

Ottomans

Chapter 31

[September 17, 1650]

François and Mut were in the dining hall when they heard shouts coming from above deck. When they realized that the lookout was shouting something, they, along with the other corsairs, rushed up the stairs. Standing on deck, they could clearly hear what the lookout was saying and it spelled trouble. The lookout has spotted a single Man-of-War heading in their direction. The pirate ship could have escaped had the Man-of-War not cut them off from North Africa. To flee meant that they would head straight into Italy where there was a chance they would meet more Man-of-Wars. The pirate captain seemed to have went through all his options and ordered his crew to prepare for battle. Against a well armed Man-of-War, the pirate ship didn't stand a chance. However, surrendering to the British ship also meant decapitation following a brief trial. It was believed that a quick death in battle was more merciful than waiting for one's execution.

François and Mut quickly headed below deck to retrieve their weapons. Both men grabbed a cutlass and a pistol before returning above deck preparing for battle. Kneeling behind the railings, they, along with several other corsairs, waited for the Man-of-War to line up parallel to their ship. The seconds ticked by and everyone was nervous. When they heard the cannons fired, everyone, in unison, stood up with a hook in their hands. The hooks were attached to ropes that were long enough to reach to ship across the water. Everyone threw their hook and, except for a few that fell short, the rest reached the Man-of-War and got snug in the wood. Some of the men began their journey across the rope while the remainder, those that grabbed a musket below deck, traded shots on the deck with the British sailors. A few of the ropes were cut by British sailors and the unfortunate men on those ropes fell into the sea where they would drown. François, Mut, Apa along with several others made it across due to luck and terrible marksmanship of British sailors. They pulled out their pistols to fire the first and only shot at the nearest British sailor. Because reloading their pistols took time, they discarded the pistols before pulling out their cutlasses.

The British captain, upon seeing his ship being boarded, ordered his men to quickly intercept before they cause too much trouble. With the cannons and muskets firing constantly, his orders were lost in the noise and his men failed to notice the small boarding party. The boarding party didn't waste time in cutting through sailors before arriving at the entrance leading below deck. Unopposed, they rushed down the stairs and cut down any British sailor that got in their way. It took awhile before the cannon crews and powder monkeys realized that they had unwanted guests. They tried to grab their weapons before they were still no match against the boarding party. The cannons aboard the Man-of-War were silenced and the boarding party moved quickly back above deck. As they arrived on the deck, a well aimed bar and chain shot was fired that took out the Man-of-War main sail which effectively stopped it in its tracks. The boarding party crossed the deck to begin their journey back to their ship. François would have joined them had he not see the British captain trying to intercept them. He recognized the captain as the same man that defeated him in the last duel.

"Steve! Let's finish this!" he shouted at the captain.

The captain paused when he heard his name. When he saw François, pure hatred showed in his eyes. Anger could be easily seen from his body language and he decided to ignore the other members of the boarding party.

"François, you are alive? I will finish the job this time. I should have known that sharks are no match for you."

"You can try but you will die. At least, one of us will die today."

Without any hesitation, the two men charged at each other like madmen. Like the previous duel, Steve had a small sword facing off against François' cutlass. The two fought with ferocity as they sought blood from each other. François heard Mut calling his name but he no longer cared. He was only focused on revenge and he was going to have it this day or die trying. The pirate ship was getting away and the hooks used by the boarding party came loose one by one. Soon, the pirate ship was distancing itself from the Man-of-War and setting course for North Africa. Meanwhile, Steve and François were still fighting like madmen on deck. Steve's crew, following the brief battle, was too busy putting out the fires aboard their ship or tending to their wounds to notice the duel.

Ottomans

Chapter 32

[September 17, 1650]

François and Steve circled each other while preparing themselves for an attack. The circling took a few seconds before Steve decided to take the initiative. Steve closed the distance in a few strides and threw a feint. François anticipated the feint and backed off a step before striking where he knew Steve would be left wide open. When Steve realized that François saw through his move, he was already cut and was forced to back up. Thanks to his agility, Steve only received a shallow cut and the bleeding stopped quickly. The two men circled each other again and François took the initiative this time. He closed the distance and attacked in a way that seemed to have left his side open to an attack. Steve attacked at the opening only to find François sidestepping him and bringing down his cutlass down on him. Steve wasn't so lucky this time as the cutlass found its mark in his right shoulder. Steve quickly opened the distance between them while nursing his gash in his right shoulder.

The duel was basically decided there as Steve could no longer utilize his weapon with the injury. He backed off and ran towards some of his crew on deck so that they would have the numbers advantage. François realized what was happening and was about to give chase when he noticed a minion a few meters from him. To his surprise, there was ammunition nearby and he dashed to it. The minion required some effort but he managed to turn it enough so that it faced Steve. Steve has reached some of his men and was directing them to attack François when he noticed the minion aiming at him. François didn't waste time loading the shot and grabbed a piece of plywood before placing its tip in a nearby fire to light it. He then lit the fuse and gave Steve a smile. Steve's men followed their captain's gaze and realized too late a minion was set to fire on them. Before any of them could react, the minion fired and Steve, along with his men, were blown up. That shot, however, didn't stop there as it made its way below deck where it hit the storage of the other cannonballs. A succession of explosions would ensue and the crew aboard began abandoning ship.

[October 7, 1650]

(Tunis, Ottomans)

Mut gulped down his drink and ordered another one. Apa came over and told him to stop drinking.

"I just lost a good friend," he said. "Just let me drink."

"Drinking won't bring him back," was Apa's response.

"You don't understand, my friend."

"Try me."

"That Frenchman is like a brother to me. I should have stayed behind."

"So you can both die?"

"At least he got remembered as a hero. Taking down an entire Man-of-War."

"He'll be remembered but he is still dead."

"Yes, he is dead. The problem is that I ran away like a coward."

"No, you didn't. We followed orders and returned to our ship the moment our task is done."

"I'll tell you the truth. I was scared. I was fighting against British sailors and I didn't know what to expect."

"I was scared too."

"You're just saying that to comfort me."

"I'm serious. When we were crossing the ropes to the other ship, they could have easily cut my rope."

"It's a wonder how us three managed to get across in one piece."

"Yes, it was."

The conversation was cut short when someone slammed the door in the inn. The bartender wasn't too happy about it.

"Watch it! You're worse than the drunks and you haven't even got a drink yet," said the bartender.

"My apologies! A drink please!"

Both Mut and Apa turned towards the man. They recognized the voice and turned to see if their ears were playing a trick on them. To their surprise, it was François standing at the doorway. He looked like he just survived a storm but, otherwise, intact. Mut couldn't stop his tears from dripping down his cheek and ran towards his friend. François noticed Mut and was about to say something when Mut embraced him.

"You're making me look bad," said François.

"I don't care! You're alive!"

"Yes, Hell will need to wait another day to take me. How about buy me a drink?"

"My pleasure!"

The two men joined Apa at the table and several drinks were ordered. Before long, the three of them were so drunk that they collapsed at the table. By then, word has already spread that François has returned from the gates of death.

Ottomans

Chapter 33

[May 12, 1690]

(Tunis, Ottomans)

François walked up the stairs and stopped by the first door. He opened the door as quietly as he could and looked inside.

"Grandpa, is that you?" asked the child.

"Yes, it's me."

François entered the room to check on his grandson, Joseph. Joseph was tucked into bed by his mother but he usually take awhile before he falls asleep.

"Shouldn't you be asleep by now?" asked François.

"You woke me up," responded Joseph.

"Did I? I must apologize. Is there a way I can make up for it?"

"You can tell me the story of your escape from the British."

"Alright." François sat himself down beside the bed with his grandson looking at him eagerly.

I jumped off the ship and searched for a plywood that could support my weight. I found it but noticed a great shadow towering over me. I looked up and saw another British Man-of-War entering the waters. There were lookouts and one of them spotted me. He was shouting at the men above deck and I saw several muskets trained upon me. They fired and I dived below the surface. I swam and swam while feeling pain in my chest. I thought I was dying but I kept swimming below the surface. I kept going and eventually my lungs screamed for air. I rose above the surface and was relieved to find myself far from the Man-of-War. There was a plywood nearby and I grabbed it to support myself. I decided to check on the pain in my chest and was surprised at first that there was no sign of blood. As I peeled away my clothing, I saw something that seemed metallic. It was then that I remembered that I wore a pendant around my neck as a good luck charm. I soon discovered that the pain was merely the pendant taking the impact of a lead ball and, as a result, managed to crack a few ribs. I got lucky but I wasn't safe yet.

François stopped when he noticed Joseph was deep asleep. He smiled to himself at the child who was his pride and joy. He quietly stood up and, before leaving the room, saw the pendant that saved his life sitting on Joseph's small chest of toys. There was a large dent in the pendant but its design was still very much visible. There was a large eagle drawn with a few inscriptions that have, surprisingly, managed to remain legible. François never did figure out what the SPQR meant but, given that the pendant saved him life, he felt that it will continue protecting those in his family. He gave the pendant a last look before exiting Joseph's room and closing the door behind him.

François headed to an inn he has been gone to for decades. He entered the inn to see many young faces who paid him no attention. He scanned the room and spotted his friend, Mut, flirting with some younger women. François smiled to himself and decided to leave his friend alone. He walked over to the bartender who was surprised by his presence.

"François," said the bartender, "I thought you quit drinking."

"Quit drinking?" François said with shock expressed on his face. "I'll do that once Mut stop flirting with women younger than him."

"That's never going to happen."

"Good, you caught my drift."

"What will it be then?"

"The usual."

"Think you can handle it?"

"Give me two then. I'll show you what this old man can handle."

"Alright, I'll only give you one though. I don't want a dead old man here."

"Don't worry."

The bartender served his drink and went to serve other customers. François thought about his adventures, his family and the legacy he will leave behind. As he took a sip, he thought to himself, 'I've had a good life.'

Last edited:
Hi, all. I've returned with the goal of finishing this AAR. I hope you will enjoy and maybe participate a little.

Nation 9 - Russia
Prologue 9

[March 20, 2001]

(Sevastopol, Ukraine)

There was a shatter of glass.

"Those damn kids," muttered the old man as he made his way to the window.

The old man stopped midway when he sensed a presence in his home. Trusting his gut instinct, he backed away heading to the kitchen. He opened the drawer quietly for his weapon but he stopped short when a handgun was trained against his temple.

"Take you hand out of the drawer slowly and you won't get hurt," said the intruder.

The old man obeyed without resisting.

"Now, I'm here for one thing and I'll be gone after that. Nod if you understood." The intruder watched the old man nod slightly. "Good. I'm searching for a small golden pendant. It has the Roman Insignia on it."

The old man stiffened at the mention of the pendant. Defeated, he made his way slowly up the stairs with the intruder following close behind him. They arrived at the second floor where they entered the old man's bedroom. The old man entered the combination into the safe and, upon a click, he reached for it.

"Stop right there," said the intruder. "Back away slowly."

The old man did as he was told. The intruder walked up and opened the safe. Following a quick scan, he caught sight of the pendant he was searching for.

"Thanks for cooperating." Without another word, he delivered two quick shots through the heart of the old man.

The intruder grabbed the pendant and left.

IimJpED.png

Our ninth nation will be Russia. The starting date is September 1, 1855. You are a Russian officer participating in the defenses of Sevastopol. The Crimean War has lasted for nearly 2 years and one of the deciding factors involved Sevastopol. The Russian naval base dictated who controlled the Black Sea which ultimately determines the victor. After suffering numerous losses against the enemy, Russian forces were putting up their last line of defense at Sevastopol. You, along with many of your comrades, must stand your ground but many already see the writing on the wall. Will you die as a hero or will you die as a coward?

If you wish to participate, please PM me a character with the following info:
-name

As for the fate of your characters, you will have to wait and find out.

Russia

Chapter 34

[September 1, 1855]

(Sevastopol, Russia)

Rybakov knelt beside his fellow comrades in the trench. A few of them were dozing off but he didn't wake them. All of them have seen fierce fighting against the French and British. The constant bombardment had a psychological impact on the men and, whenever possible, they took short naps. Rybakov had trouble sleeping since he received a shoulder wound. The medic claimed that the should will heal in time but Rybakov had doubts. If anything, the pain from the wound seemed to worsen each day. During the brief pauses in battle, he noticed the pain very easily and struggled in not screaming out in pain. He suddenly felt a tap on his right shoulder. Barely managing to bite back the howl of pain, he turned around ready to yell at the person. When he turned around, his expression softened.

"What's wrong, Aliyev?"

Aliyev was Rybakov's younger brother by five years. Rybakov always felt protective of his younger sibling but, in this war, he felt especially helpless.

"Get some sleep, brother. I can be on the lookout."

Rybakov put his hand on Aliyev's head. "Don't worry about it. I can't sleep anyway. Go back to sleep."

The younger sibling obeyed without question. Rybakov sadly watched his brother returning back to his little space where he leaned against the dirt and closed his eyes. Rybakov returned to his lookout when a cannon exploded only a few meters from him. The explosion woke everyone around Rybakov awake as they prepared for another attack. The bombardment was raining down heavily on the trenches seeing all the defenders ducking in cover. Rybakov still kept an eye out for his brother while the bombardment took place. Luckily for the two brothers, they were relieved midday and got to live another day.

An hour later, the two brother returned inside the city where they could get a quick meal and get some sleep. In one of the crowded barracks, the two brothers shared a single bed but Rybakov generally let his brother sleep on it while he slept against the bed on the floor. This night, the shoulder wound kept Rybakov awake so he simply stayed silent in the room. The door to the room was open and a few men were talking outside. Rybakov listened to their conversation.

"It failed, didn't it?"

"Yes, they couldn't get past the French."

"Who was leading them?"

"A man called Liprandi."

"Suffered heavy casualties?"

"Of course, that has been the common theme in this war so far."

"So our last hope is gone?"

"I'm afraid so. Unless we hold off the enemy."

"Fat chance."

Rybakov turned to look at his brother sleeping peacefully on the bed. He pondered about what the conversation he just heard meant. He carefully got himself up from the ground and walked over to the small opening that served as a window. He stared up at the moon that shone brightly in the sky. By midday tomorrow, he and his brothers were expected to be at the front line. Once again, they had to face the prospect of death every waking moment in the trenches.

Last edited:
Just started reading parts of this. Really enjoying Rybakov story.

Thanks! The update for this AAR is slow at the moment because I'm trying to figure out how to approach this section. Hopefully it will pick up soon.

Russia

Chapter 35

[September 8, 1855]

(Sevastopol, Russia)

Aliyev woke up moments after midnight. He opened his eyes and turned his body so he turned away from the wall. He had a careful look around the room at the numerous soldiers that were crowded inside. The more fortunate ones got a bed while the rest were forced to sleep on the floor. Everyone, including his brother, was snoring as they used their few precious hours for sleep before they returned to combat at midday. The bombardment had given them plenty of stress draining them of their strength despite having no actual combat. Aliyev carefully got up from his bed which creaked every time he moved. He paused each time to check if anyone woke up from the noise. When he was certain no one was woken up, he quietly got off the bed navigating the many bodies on the floor as he exited the room. The hallway was empty with the sound of snoring from all the other rooms. Aliyev listened very carefully for footsteps but he heard none. Normally, there were soldiers patrolling the hallway for any suspicious activities. Anyone that was up in the middle of the night could be accused of being a spy without a fair trial. More often than not, the punishment for being accused a spy was execution.

Aliyev had no intention of getting executed. He firmly believed that he and his brothers were going to survive this conflict and return home. Their mother was waiting for their safe return and she made the two brothers promise to come back home. For the past few nights, Aliyev stayed awake long enough to memorize the patterns of the patrolling soldiers so he could anticipate their whereabouts. This was the day he finally dared to make his move. He made his way down the hallway quickly until he came to a small room that served as the washroom. The stench was the first thing that hit him. It was so horrific that Aliyev wondered if anyone even bothered cleaning it. Before he entered the washroom, he looked left and right to make sure he wasn't followed. He then entered the room breathing through his mouth and made his way to the corner. There wasn't any light source in the washroom making the interior especially dark. Still, anyone that might be curious could still see Aliyev's silhouette so the young boy was taking no chances.

On the first day since he and his brother arrived at the barrack, Aliyev decided to hide his most prized possession in the washroom which he considered the safest location. No one would consider hiding anything in this place with its foul stench. He found a loose brick that had a small space behind it and left his possession there ever since. Aliyev suddenly found himself wanting to retrieve this treasure for whatever reason so he has returned to the washroom. He felt the wall with his hands till he came in contact with the loose brick. With his small fingers, he slowly wiggled the brick back and forth. Once it was almost out, he took care not to drop it to avoid a large racket in the washroom that might get the attention of others. After he placed the brick down on the floor lightly, he reached in and pulled out his greatest treasure. It was a golden medallion with fading engravings. His father secretly gave the medallion to him before he left for the same war Aliyev was in. His father never returned so the medallion was the only item he had in memory of his father. Feeling the cool surface of the medallion, Aliyev felt a comforting aura from the medallion. Suddenly, he heard a couple of footsteps in the hallway that were getting closer by the minute.

Last edited:
Russia

Chapter 36

[September 8, 1855]

(Sevastopol, Russia)

Aliyev knew he had to make a decision soon. Without thinking, he returned the brick back into the hole and put the medallion inside his pocket. He then pressed himself against a corner and waited. The seconds passed by slowly with each heartbeat. Aliyev dared not to even breathe fearing any sounds might alert of the people in the hall. The footsteps stopped just outside the washroom.

"I need a quick piss," said a soldier.

"Make it quick," replied the other. "We have to get the report to him."

The soldier literally dashed into the washroom and did his business into a small ditch. Aliyev could hear the trickling of water and the heavy breathing of the two soldiers. Pressed against the wall, Aliyev waited agonizingly for them to leave.

"What's so important about the report?" asked the soldier in the washroom.

"I'm a lowly soldier like you. Hell, I cannot even read." The soldier in the hallway began pacing back and forth. "Hurry it up, will you? I'd rather not be late."

"Cool your jets," said the soldier as he finished his business. "I don't want to be in here as much as anyone. It stinks!"

The two soldiers left with Aliyev still frozen in the corner. The young boy waited patiently and listened to his surroundings. Once he was certain there was no one else in the hallway, he made his way steadily back to his room. Everyone inside was still snoring which allowed Aliyev to navigate around the people on the ground back into bed without anyone questioning him. Wrapping himself in the blanket, Aliyev held the medallion against his chest as he thanked his father for his blessing. The young boy felt tempted to share the medallion with his older brother but decided against it. After all, his father gave it to him instead of Rybakov.

-several hours later-

Rybakov and Aliyev just had a quickly breakfast as they prepared for another day in the trenches. Rybakov managed to find a chance to speak with his brother alone.

"Where were you last nigh?" he asked.

Aliyev couldn't hide his shock but he quickly turned away from his brother. "None of you business."

"It's my business if you get executed for it."

"I didn't, okay?"

Rybakov watched as his little brother went to join the other soldiers.

-an hour later-

The soldiers were given orders to retake Malakoff which was apparently taken by the French. Rybakov wanted to keep his brother close to him during the counterattack but, for whatever reason, Aliyev had been avoiding him. Once the counterattack began, Rybakov had to focus entirely on the battle and forgot about his brother. The Russian soldiers charged the advanced works where the French were still setting up their defenses. The battle was fierce with both sides losing many men. Rybakov was temporarily deaf from the bombardments but he was quite lucky to avoid losing any body parts. He took up a position behind a collapsed wall that offered some protection from enemy fire. He shot back the best he could but the resistance by the French seemed to be growing stronger with each passing minutes. While reloading, Rybakov looked around to see the corpses of many Russian soldiers, including a few that shared the same room as him. The fighting went on for another hour before he was forced to retreat back into the bastion. The French were determined on taking the bastion and they were advancing steadily. During the retreat, Rybakov took a shot to his hand rendering him useless with his weapon. For the next two hours, he used his uninjured hand to retrieve ammunition for other soldiers but they were in a losing battle. By 4 pm, the bastion was lost. Rybakov and a few other soldiers withdrew further back knowing the war was lost.

Last edited:
Have to wonder if the order for the counter attack was what was contained in that report, or was it something else?

Excellent question. I'm afraid I don't want to reveal anything until the next update.

Russia

Chapter 37

[September 9, 1855]

(Sevastopol, Russia)

Rybakov marched with the other soldiers out of the city. The atmosphere was gloomy with everyone knowing they have lost. Sevastopol was no longer a great city it once was. By then, it was in ruins abandoned by the Russians. The loss of Malakoff removed the last hope the Russians had at holding their position. Malakoff, with its dominant position, was vital to the defense of the city but, when the Russians failed to recapture it from the French, all hope was lost. Rybakov was amongst the many that were withdrawing from the city. He was lucky since he survived the siege while his little brother didn't. Before he left the city, Rybakov was given something that belonged to his brother. A friend of his brother was given the item, wrapped in cloth, to safe keep. The friend was to remain behind in the city for the day so his chance of survival was the highest. Aliyev claimed that, should he die in battle, he wanted his friend to give the item to his older brother. The friend stated that he didn't peek to see what was inside the cloth and, upon learning the death of Aliyev, he actively sought Rybakov out to give him the item. During the march out of the city, Rybakov gripped the item tightly in his hand within his pocket. This item was the last thing from his little brother who, like their father, gave up his life in the conflict. In the end, the loss of the city only saw their deaths in vain. Rybakov wasn't alone as many soldiers were weeping like him for not only the defeat at the Siege of Sevastopol but also the losses of relatives and close friends who lost their lives in the conflict.

-several hours later-

The retreating Russian soldiers took a brief break by the side of the road. They were demoralized and exhausted given most of them were fighting before the abandonment of the city. Rybakov used this opportunity to see what his brother left him. Because he was given the item in a rush, Rybakov didn't have a chance to see what it was. Leaving the item in his pocket, Rybakov carefully unwrapped the layers of cloth until he could feel the surface of the item. It was metallic with a cool feel. He looked around only to see the other soldiers preoccupied with their thoughts paying no attention to him. Sneaking a look into his pocket, Rybakov realized that this was the medallion owned by his father. Somehow, Aliyev got his hands on the medallion which, for a brief moment, made Rybakov furious. He suspected that his father always like his brother more and this medallion confirmed his suspicions. Yet, the anger came and went when he was suddenly reminded that his brother was gone. Truth be told, he didn't even know where his brother died. The enemy now controlled the region around Sevastopol so, more likely than not, they were going to bury corpses of Russian soldiers in mass graves. Rybakov quickly wrapped up the medallion again and kept it well hidden. He then nursed his wounded arm which, thanks to a doctor, has regained some degree of movement as opposed to being completely useless. While he was nursing his arm, he eavesdropped to a conversation nearby.

"Have you heard?" asked a soldier with bandages covering much of his face.

The soldier's buddy shook his head. "Just go away."

"Do you know why we lost?" asked the persistent soldier.

"Why?"

"One of our officers was a traitor. Rumors say a report was delivered to him by two illiterate men last night."

"What did the report say?" asked the soldier's buddy who was suddenly interested.

"I'm not sure the exact contents but they say the officer had been working with the French. He purposely created a delay during the relief of the garrison. The delay was enough for the French to get a proper foothold of Malakoff which aided them in their victory."

"What happened to that officer?"

"Last I heard, he was fleeing towards the French. I bet they will be rewarding him handsomely."

"Or he gets a shot in the head."

Rybakov stopped listening after awhile. For him, he wondered how he was going to explain recent developments to his mother who was waiting for him and his brother to return home. Before he left, Rybakov promised to protect his brother. Yet, he survived the conflict while his brother was probably rotting somewhere. As he was deep in thoughts, Rybakov was nudged as a friendly soldier alerted him that the army has began moving again. Rybakov thanked the soldier as he got back on his feet. The march home was a slow and shameful process with no one eager to see those waiting for them back home.

Last edited: