• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Northumberland

Chapter 10

[June 7, 793]

(Off the Coast of Northumberland)

Matteo rubbed his eyes and looked around. For a second, he thought he was still in his bed with his other siblings. Matteo then remembered where he was and looked out into the sea. There weren't too much legroom in the longship and the cramp space made sleeping very uncomfortable for everyone. Despite having the urge to stretch a little bit, Matteo knew better than antagonizing the other passengers by accidentally waking them from their sleep with a punch or kick. The hours were still early and, other than those keeping an eye out on the seas, nobody else was awake. Matteo thought about going back to sleep but he knew he won't likely succeed. After all, he heard from his seniors that they were nearing their destination and Matteo could feel the excitement from all his seniors. Many foreigners that have passed through Matteo's village spoke of a large island which was home to a large population and, most importantly, riches unimaginable by many. The Vikings, as Matteo's people call themselves, wanted to confirm if those foreigners spoke the truth. If the riches were true, the Vikings on the expedition would soon become very wealthy. Otherwise, they will simply return with captives from their raids to pay for their expenses by selling them as slaves. Either way, the Vikings would get an adventure out of the expedition and no can argue it's a bad thing.

Matteo, an eight year old boy, was excited when he found out he could join the other men in an expedition to an unknown land called England. Normally, an eight year old boy wouldn't be allowed on these raids as they would be a hindrance. Matteo has proven himself capable of caring for himself and, with his father being an influential man in his village, he was able to get a spot. The other raiders were all older than Matteo and they weren't thrilled about learning Matteo's participation. However, those men knew better than to argue and, instead, tried their best to tolerate him. Matteo avoided antagonizing others in his longship and that made his life slightly easier. The fact that they were close to England made Matteo very eager to get off the longship. The excitement was going to take place once they arrived there and trip has been a rather boring one. Traveling through the North Sea hasn't been his idea of an adventure but he wasn't bold enough to speak out against his seniors. To the Vikings, speaking out against those of a higher status could be punishable by death. The last youngster unable to hold his tongue found himself thrown overboard and, eventually, drowned. Matteo saw the scene with his own eyes and didn't want a similar fate as the other youngster. Matteo knew that, until he gain some authority and respect from other raiders, he would be wise not to attract the wrong type of attention.

Beside Matteo, a boy only two years older was waking up as well. He, too, took awhile to remember where he was. He looked at Matteo who was staring back.

"Morning, Matteo," said the boy.

"Morning, Luka," replied Matteo.

"You're awake already? You had a nightmare?"

"If I had a nightmare, I would've woken everyone here."

"That's right. You would be overboard by the time I'm up."

"I'm excited that we will be reaching land soon."

"I see. I guess I woke up for that same reason as well."

"Does no one else share our excitement?"

"They are veterans when it comes to exploration. They could probably contain their excitement a lot better than us."

"I guess you are right."

"They are also saving their strength. They know they will be in combat soon."

"I can fight."

"You? Fight? If you were facing off against a fish, I'd say you stand some chance."

"Don't mock me, Luka!"

Matteo realized that he was speaking too loudly and nervously looked around. Luckily, no one else was woken up by his outburst.

"Matteo, I'm not mocking you. I'll admit this to you and you better not tell anyone else."

"I promise I won't tell."

"I'm nervous as well. I have participated in raids before when we were in familiar territory. We knew they were too terrified to strike back."

"What makes the upcoming raids different then?"

"We don't know what kinds of people live here."

"What do you mean by that?"

"We have no idea if they will resist or not. If they do resist, we have no ways of knowing how many of our men will be killed or maimed."

"We are warriors, right?"

"We are warriors but we aren't foolish enough to throw away our lives. We are looking for riches but we have no idea if there are any in this place called England."

"Well, we get to be on an adventure, don't we?"

"It's not much of an adventure if you return dead or with shame."

"I guess you are right. What can we do then?"

"We can only hope the Gods will be generous and they will guide us to riches."

"I hope so. My father expects me to accomplish a lot on this trip."

"Feeling the pressure?"

"Of course, my family's honor rides on my performance on this raid. I cannot let my family down."

"I know that feeling. I haven't been doing too well."

"You haven't brought dishonor to your family, at least."

"That is a bright side, isn't it?"

"It sure is."

The two boys became silent when they noticed the other passengers waking up from their sleep. They woke up groggy and a few splashed sea water on their faces to wake up. The captain of the longship spoke with the lookouts and a smile formed on his face.

"We will be at England in an hour, men!" announced the captain.

Everyone cheered in response as many were eager to get off the longships so they can get into some real action. Matteo and Luka cheered with everyone else but they kept quiet for the remainder of the journey. They simply kept an eye out ahead of them for signs of the land foreigners spoke so highly of. Until an hour passed, there was no sign of land. The two boys only saw the four other longships that traveled alongside theirs. Like the men on their longship, everybody focused on rowing so they could get to England faster. When the hour was almost up, a lookout shouted that he caught sight of land. A minute later, the land was visible to all the Vikings and some men began singing. The captains of the longships soon put an end to the singing because they didn't want the locals to be alerted about their presence. For the next few minutes, the Vikings rowed in silence while the leader of the expedition directed them to a safe landing zone. Their leader was known to Alf the Fearless and he has survived numerous raids. With his experience, he was chosen to lead the expedition to England and he accepted it without hesitation. While traveling along the coast, Alf picked a monastery as his first target. The monastery was located on an island off the coast of the mainland. Alf believed that a surprise attack would easily rout the defenders and give his men ample amount of time to raid and pillage. Reinforcements from the mainland probably won't arrive for a few days and the Vikings would be far away by then. He directed all the longships to a small clearing beneath a hill where they could arrive at the island undetected. Alf suspected that the inhabitants of the monastery were likely still asleep which made his work easier.

The longships arrived at their intended landing zone without any problems. Alf ordered his best scouts to map out the island so he knew what awaited him on the other side of the hill. The men all got out of their longships so they can stretch and loosen their muscles. Matteo and Luka stood at their own little corner hoping not to attract any unwanted attention. Unlike the other men, the two boys were only given knives. They were told to acquire their own weapons from raids if they weren't satisfied with their knives. For Matteo, he was satisfied with his knives because he felt the weapons suited him. He hasn't grown to the size of a man yet which meant he would struggle with the weight of the spears and swords the men wielded with ease. Matteo never did get attached to bows and decided he would stick with melee weapons instead. While they waited for the scouts to return, Matteo used the opportunity to sharpen his knives which were rather dull. Luka walked over and sat down beside Matteo.

"What are you doing?" asked Luka.

"I'm sharpening my knives."

"Why?"

"Why? I need to use them in battle, silly."

"You probably won't get any action."

"Why not?"

"Look around. Do you think we will get a chance at some fun?"

"They might be bigger and stronger but we are faster. We'll just run ahead of them."

"You really are foolish, aren't you?"

"What makes you say that?"

"The last youngster I was partnered up with charge ahead by himself. He was hacked down in seconds."

"I'm not afraid!"

"I'm not saying you are a coward. I'm merely saying that you got to use your brain more."

"Do explain."

"We shouldn't pick fights we cannot win. We are boys and there are men inside."

"What are you suggesting then?"

"We let the men lead the charge and we take care of finishing off the wounded."

"Where's the honor in that?"

"Listen, we need practice. We got to know how to best stab someone so they will die. What better way than practicing on real wounded men?"

"We will become stronger warriors once we do, won't we?"

"Of course. I won't lie to you."

"Still, I feel we aren't going to get any honor by killing the wounded."

"It's a thankless job and someone have to do it. Might as well turn the job into your advantage by getting something out of it."

"Alright, you lead the way then. I will try to absorb as much as I can from this raid."

"That's the spirit!"

The scouts returned and Alf listened carefully to their reports. A grin soon formed on his face as he begun his speech to his men.

Northumberland

Chapter 11

[June 7, 793]

(Lindisfarne, Northumberland)

"Hear me, warriors! Our time has come for us to begin our raids in this foreign place called England. We have left our homes to come to this distant land where we were promised many things. Today will be the day we discover if we indeed get what we were promised. Our goal is the monastery over this hill. According to the scouts, we know that the place may hold unspeakable amount of riches. The inhabitants are still snoozing and we will teach them a proper lesson for their laziness. They will learn to fear us! They will never again sleep so soundly for they will jump at every noise after today. We will make our names known today across England! For a place so wealthy, we expect many defenders. We aren't afraid of those men though. They will try to resist at first but they will be defeated. They cannot hope to match up against us. We who have survived the treacherous elements in our native land. We who dared to challenge the seas and come out victorious. We who have the true Gods guiding our every move. The heathens will learn that their God cannot save them. Not now, not ever! Let us make our Gods proud by coming away victorious today! I, for one, wished to leave this place a very wealthy man with many tales to share with my descendants. If you wish to make a name for yourself as well, join me and we will find glory before the sun sets today!"

All the warriors shouted their warcries following the speech and it was rumored to be so loud that the inhabitants of Lindisfarne thought they heard thunder. Since the Vikings arrived onto the island, dark clouds were creeping over the skies. By the time the Vikings began their trip to the monastery, the clouds were blocking out what little light there was. The darkness suited the Vikings because they could sneak to the monastery without any detection. The warriors needed little light to navigate through the relatively easygoing terrain. The darkness also appeared to serve as an omen for the unspeakable horrors that would take place within monastery. The Vikings moved quickly along the base of the hill until they could see the monastery. They then moved single file until they arrived by the only doorway leading into the monastery. Everyone kept quiet on the move so they wouldn't alert the local inhabitants. It wasn't that the Vikings feared their enemy but, rather, they wanted the element of surprise on their side to limit the number of wounded and dead amongst them. While dying in battle was an honorable way to die, many of the Vikings preferred to live a long life so they could make a name of themselves in raids. For many of the warriors, they felt their time to make a name of themselves has finally arrived. A monastery in the foreign land filled with riches was within their grasp. They just needed to make sure they outperform the other warriors so they would be remembered.

To the Viking's surprise, no one was standing guard at the grand doorway. Fearing that they might be stepping into a trap, Alf signaled his warriors to wait patiently by the walls while he sneaked peeks into the monastery. By then, rain was beginning to pour down but none of the Vikings were affected. They have faced harsher elements and a bit of rain wasn't going to dampen their spirit. The main courtyard was empty and it didn't seem like anyone was up yet. Alf then used his ears and he didn't hear anything. He knew, for a fact, that guards usually chat amongst themselves when they have no reason to believe they will be attacked. Feeling confident that they weren't spotted on their way, Alf assumed that the local inhabitants weren't alerted by their presence. The minutes passed by and Alf still didn't notice any activity in the courtyard. He gestured to three warriors to follow him as they made their way through the grand doorway into the main courtyard. Most of the windows were still dark while a few were dimly lit. With his eyes adjusted to the darkness, Alf saw no guards standing around and another grin formed across his face. He signaled to his men that stayed behind to charge in and the massacre was about to begin.

Matteo and Luka entered the monastery last because they were young and inexperienced. By the time they entered through the grand doorway, they could already hear the screams of the local inhabitants. A few buildings were already set on fire and the monks were trying to escape. Matteo saw a warrior chasing down a group of monks and cutting them with ease. He was about to charge in when Luka grabbed him by the should.

"Don't be stupid," said Luka. "These men might be scared but they won't hesitate in cutting you down. Follow me."

Reluctantly, Matteo followed Luka as they walked along the outer wall avoiding much of the bloodshed. As much as Matteo wanted to be part of the bloodshed, he believed that Luka knew what was best for both of them. A minute later, they came across a monk lying on his back with a pool of blood beneath him. The monk saw the two boys and reached for the them with a hand. While he was mumbling in a foreign language, both boys knew he was pleading to them for help. Luka took out his knife and approached the monk slowly to check if the monk was armed. Upon seeing the knife, the monk knew that the boys were part of the raiding party as well. His expression changed as he began cursing at the boys. Luka smiled as he saw the man helpless before him and slashed at the monk a few times. Each slash drew more blood and Luka seemed to revel in it. Suddenly, someone screamed and both boys looked behind them. They saw a monk with nothing but hatred and anger in his eyes. He was staring directly at Luka and charged with a wooden club in his hand. Matteo noticed that there was fresh blood on the club and realized that the attacker probably already took a life earlier. The monk's charge was so quick and unexpected that Luka barely reacted when the monk arrived before him. The monk swung at him with the club and Luka, instinctively, tried to block it with his arms. Luka's arms did little in slowing the momentum of the club which had enough force send Luka flying. Luka fell to the ground with blood flowing out his head wound and he didn't appear to be moving following the hit. The man then turned his attention to Matteo and charged like a madman once again.

Matteo, angered by the fact that his friend was on the ground bleeding, used the anger to propel himself at his attacker. He pulled out both knives and charged without thinking. Matteo knew he had no time to think and needed to rely on his instincts if he wished to survive. The monk swung at Matteo as soon as he was within range but Matteo was more agile than Luka. Matteo simply ducked down and stab one of his knives into his attacker. The knife found its way to the monk's thigh but it did little to stop the monk who began a swing downwards on top of Matteo. Matteo barely managed to roll out of the way and the club shattered the moment it hit the ground. The monk, seeing his weapon destroyed, pulled out the knife stuck in his thigh and charge at Matteo again. The wound did slow the monk down in his charge and Matteo was able to dodge the swing more easily. He continued dodging until he found his chance when the monk lost his balance in the mud. Matteo used the opportunity to stab his other knife right into the monk's neck. The knife went in at a weird angle and, before Matteo can push it in further, the monk threw a punch that kocked Matteo down. The monk stood up again and held his knife ready. Matteo, dazed from the punch, was unable to steady himself and he knew that he was staring death in the face. The monk was about to swing the knife down to finish Matteo off when an arrow found itself piercing the man's neck. The monk made an hopeless effort of tugging at the arrow but his last bit of strength left him. It would appear that anger and adrenaline could only fuel the monk for so long before he, too, falls to the raiders. To Matteo, it seemed like an eternity before the monk finally collapsed onto the ground and stopped moving.

Matteo steadied himself as he stood and walked towards the monk. He looked at the monk's eyes which, unlike the ones he saw earlier filled with nothing but hatred and anger, were devoid of any signs of life. He then made his way to his friend who hasn't moved. Despite holding onto whatever hope, Matteo knew his friend was dead the moment his hit the ground. His friend, like the monk, stared back at him with lifeless eyes. Matteo knelt down and closed his friend's eyes before getting back up. It was honorable for a Viking to fall in battle. Thus, Matteo knew he should be happy for his friend who finally gained honor before his death. During this whole time, Matteo wasn't aware that someone else was staring at him the whole time. It was only when he was getting back up again did he realize someone was watching him. He turned around and saw Alf standing by the wall with a bow in his hands. Alf approached Matteo and placed a hand on his head.

"Good job!" said the Viking leader.

Northumberland

Chapter 12

[June 7, 793]

(Lindisfarne, Northumberland)

Matteo joined the other warriors at the beach where their longships awaited their return. The raid was over and the vikings were preparing for their trip back home. The warriors were busy loading their loots onto their longships so they can return home as richer vikings. The raid of the monastery has been incredibly successful considering the wealth they acquired and the losses they suffered. The riches acquired from the raid was so abundant that the Vikings were forced to return back home. They needed to unload the loot back home in order to make space for future raids. Alf originally believed that at least a few raids were needed to fill his longships but, to his surprise, the loots at the monastery was more than enough in forcing them to turn back. The loot would fetch excellent market value and Alf wanted to set sail again out to England as soon as possible. He knew that it wouldn't take long before all the Vikings heard about his loots and hoped to do the same. There would be a lot less loot to go around once there are competition and Alf was a greedy viking. Alf knew, without a doubt, that he needed more men and longships if he hoped to cut down on his trips. He would need to use part of his loot in persuading more men to join him while purchasing a few more sea worthy vessels. After a taste of success at the monastery, Alf believed more riches could be found further inland in the towns and villages.

Only five warriors have fallen in battle and these men were all treated with respect as they died in actual combat. Following their old ways, the bodies of the five men were cremated before their ashes were spread into the sea. Matteo said his final goodbye to his only friend on the trip and struggled to hold back the tears that threatened to drip off his cheeks. Vikings were taught to not shed tears for those that have earned their passage to Valhalla. It wasn't until Luka died that Matteo realized that a bond was formed between them. Matteo vowed to become stronger so that he can protect those close to him. He stubbornly believed that, had he been stronger, he could have saved him friend from the mad monk. Alf has given Matteo the honor in releasing his friend's ashes into the sea. The ocean breeze carried the ashes a short distance before the ashes sunk into the sea before resting on the ocean floor. Unlike the vikings, the monks weren't so fortunate. The corpses of the monks were scattered across the monastery where they were cut down. Their bodies, along with the blood that was spilled everywhere, has already attracted scavengers. Many ravens were already picking at the corpses while enjoying the great feast given to them. Some bodies were already rotting and the smell of death was carried by the ocean breeze to where the vikings were loading their loot. The vikings were used to the smell and they weren't bothered by it one bit. If anything, the smell reminded them of a great victory and the honor they accomplished.

Matteo has earned the respect of the expedition leader and many other warriors which mattered a lot for him. The man responsible for Luka's death also killed three Vikings in his rampage. One of the Vikings killed was Alf's brother who was known to be one of the best warriors in the expedition party. When Alf learned of his brother's death, he aimed to avenge his sibling and sought the monk out. By the time he found the monk, Alf saw the monk ready to take the life of the boy. It was obvious that the boy has given everything he got fending off the madman who was wounded from the fight. Alf quickly notched his arrow in his bow before firing it directly into the monk's neck. Alf then checked up on the boy who was slightly dazed but, otherwise, uninjured. He gave the boy the best compliment he can think of before joining the other warriors in pillaging the monastery. As for Matteo, he was still in shock from his friend's death and chose to stay where he stood. By then, those that escaped the onslaught of the raid have already escaped the monastery by boat and they rushed to seek help from nearby towns. The fire was burning fiercely all over the monastery with not a single building spared. While the fire was engulfing the monastery, the Vikings were busy looting the corpses and the treasure vaults. Anything made of gold, silver or precious materials were taken while library of manuscripts were used to feed the flames. In addition to the loots, the Vikings also captured many monks who would sell at a good price as slaves. Satisfied that they picked the place clean, the Vikings made their trip back to their longships where they prepared for their trip home.

On the beach, Matteo looked at the sea towards the direction he believed his home was at. He wondered about how wonderful the sound of home was and how Luka will never see his home ever again. The close encounter with death has taught Matteo that life could end in an instant if he wasn't ready. He looked up and saw pockets of sunlight shining down upon the sea. The rain has stopped following the raid and the darkness was no longer absolute in the region. Matteo looked around and saw the other warriors packing their loots in sacks before storing them onto the longships. To others, Matteo appeared to have came away empty handed with nothing to show for his raid. Matteo knew better that he came away with a chance to keep living and the respects of the many Vikings, including Alf. He was young and had opportunity to acquire more wealth in the future. Learning the important lessons of actual combat was more important than any loots he could have gotten on the raid. Looking around, he saw the prisoners that would soon be slaves. The monks were cowering at the sight of the Vikings and their cowardice disgusted Matteo. Matteo was always confused why anyone wanted these men as slaves when their body indicated that they couldn't do any labor well. While deep in thought, Matteo didn't realize that someone was behind him until the last second. He turned around to see the Viking leader, Alf, towering over him.

"What are you thinking, boy?" asked Alf.

"I don't think those prisoners are going to survive the trip across the sea," answered Matteo.

"You'll be surprised. There may be more than a couple that will make it across."

"I'll believe it when I see it."

"Your friend is in a better place now."

"I know, leader."

"I got you something," said Alf as he handed over a pendant of some kind. Matteo took it and held it with both hands.

"What is it?" asked Matteo.

"The man you were fighting had it on him. Since you were responsible for his death, I think it makes sense you keep it."

"As a good luck charm?"

"No, keep it as a trophy. Let it remind you of your near death experience. Let it also reteach you the important lessons in battle."

"Thank you, leader."

"I promise to share your accomplishments with those in your village."

"That is too kind."

"You have surpassed many of the warriors here already. Once you become a seasoned viking, you name will be known across the world. You will one day be feared by all," said Alf and he left Matteo standing alone on the beach once again.

Matteo continued dawdling on the beach while the other vikings were finishing with the packing. Alf soon gave the order and everyone boarded their longships. Alf ordered his men to paddle hard given that most of them still had the adrenaline from the raid rushing through their system. Several hours later, the vikings were ordered to rest and the longships were guided by the waves. The sun has long set and the moon was shining through the clouds. Many vikings were dozing off as soon as their adrenaline wore off. Matteo wanted to do the same but, before he closes his eyes, he wanted to examine the pendant given to him by the viking leader. He took it out quietly and held it against the moonlight. He couldn't make out much but he found the design very well made. A large bird was shown on the pendant with the worn out inscription of "SPQR" underneath it.

Nation 4 - Middle Francia
Prologue 4

yKYlrXS.png

The civil war has ended. Blood has been spilled, lives have been lost and families have been separated. Order has been restored. Or has it? The mighty Carolingian Empire is no more. The grandsons of Charlemagne has split the mighty empire into three nations. Their foolish act will doom us all.

United, we fear no one. Divided, we will be overwhelmed eventually. Has history not teach men the important lessons of life? Or have they been too blinded by their ambitions and greed? Either way, the ones that suffer are the civilians. They are the ones to fight on the front lines. They are the ones to be displaced from their homes. They are the one to suffer the most when the attackers break through the walls. It is the civilians that pay the ultimate price!

The conclusion of the civil war is a blessing. Still, we have many hardships ahead of us. Our homes need to be rebuilt. Our loved ones must be found. Our shattered lives must be put together the best we can. Will we succeed? Or will our lives mirror the decline of the once mighty Carolingian Empire?

Our fourth nation will be Middle Francia. The starting date is August 1, 843. The civil war has ended and the Carolingian Empire has been split apart. You are within Middle Francia and you have been separated from your loved ones. The aftermath of the war still plagues the land. Will you be able to find your loved ones and rebuild your old life? Or will you give in to your hardships and start a new life?

If you wish to participate, please PM me a character with the following info:
-name

As for the fate of your characters, you will have to wait and find out.

Middle Francia

Chapter 13

[August 1, 843]

(Groningen, Middle Francia)

Hasse was chopping log when he heard the sound of hooves. He looked up from his task and saw a small detachment of soldiers passing by. Fearing that he may attract unwanted attention by staring too long, Hasse chose to return back to his task. He needed the wood to earn a few ducats that he desperately needed to feed himself. The civil war took everything from him and, had he lost the will to keep livingas well, he would have committed suicide a long time ago. With whatever he could recover from the ruin that was once his home, Hasse had to make a living by doing errands for his neighbors or anyone who was hiring. Times were hard but the tragedy has numbed Hasse to the point where he no longer cared. On this day, he needed to chop enough wood for his neighbor to last two weeks. Despite the season being summer, the temperature during the day has been rather cool and the nights chilled people to their bone. Some people believed that the misfortune was caused by the civil war and the worst has yet to come. For Hasse, chopping logs was merely a way to sustain himself. He was used to the nights since he started sleeping outdoors without any shelters for a few months. With careful rationing, Hasse was able to have something in his stomach at all times. Just as he finished chopping the logs, he heard footsteps behind him. He waited until he gathered all the wood before he turned around. He saw his friend, Neal, trying to get his breath back.

"What's the matter, Neal? Were you peeking at the ladies taking a bath in the river again? Did they almost get you this time?" asked Hasse.

"Don't ... kid ... around... I've got ... something ... important to say," responded Neal.

"You can tell me once you get your breath back." Hasse said before turning his back on his friend to begin his trip to deliver the wood.

"Wait! I think your sister and wife are alive."

Neal's words stopped Hasse in his tracks. Hasse couldn't believe his ears and, for a brief second, he thought his friend was toying with him.

"Don't joke with me, Neal. You're a good friend but you have no right to toy with me. I already accepted their deaths," responded Hasse. Still, he hasn't moved from his spot hoping that Neal could prove him wrong.

"If you don't believe me, then you should take a look at this."

Hasse turned around and saw the pendant held in his friend's hand. The pendant has a gorgeous design of an eagle with its inscription faded away due to age. During a trip to a local cave, Hasse found the pendant and gave it to Jeske. Little did Hasse know, the gift would one day make them husband and wife. Since being given the pendant, Jeske never left without it. To see the pendant finally released all the emotions that were suppressed within Hasse. Unable to contain himself, Hasse let the wood drop to the ground before falling onto his knees. His tears were dripping down his cheeks nonstop and Neal, being a considerate friend, decided to let his friend release all of his emotions. Hasse eventually stopped crying and Neal, finding the opportunity, handed him the pendant. Hasse took a careful look at the pendant and he was relieved to see a dent that was too familiar. When he found the pendent, there was a small dent on the upper left corner. Because the pendant was so beautiful, Jeske never really paid attention to the minor flaw. For Hasse, the flaw was proof that his wife was alive.

"Where did you find this?" asked Hasse.

"One of my friends had it on him. He said a young woman asked him to deliver it to me."

"What did she say? Did she leave a message?"

"My friend said she wanted you to know that she and your sister are fine in Münster. They miss you dearly and hope to see you."

"I'm going to see them. Can you deliver these wood for me? I need to get packing."

"Before you get too headstrong, how are you going to meet them?"

"I will travel there on foot, stupid."

"In case you have forgotten, the civil war has ended."

"How does that affect me?"

"There are now borders separating you and them. If you wish to meet them, you will need to cross the border."

"What harm can an imaginary line do to me?"

"The borders won't do anything. However, the soldiers patrolling those imaginary lines will."

"I'm just trying to reunite with my family."

"And they will label you as spy and execute you."

"What do you expect me to do then? I cannot just sit around like this."

"I know. Still, you have to take this a step at a time. You finish your delivery and collect your pay. We will meet up at your place where we can discuss the details."

"Alright, I guess I cannot rush things."

The two men went their separate ways. Eager to discuss the plan, Hasse rushed to deliver the wood and got the ducats. He returned home to see his friend with another man in the yard. In his gut, Hasse knew the man was dangerous and, under normal circumstances, he would stay away from his kind. Being as desperate as he was, he was willing to trust anyone that could get him across the border. Neal saw Hasse first and gestured him to come closer.

"Hasse, this is Hugo. He is the man that can get you across the border," introduced Neal.

"So you are his friend? I hope you are ready for the dangerous journey across the border. The border patrols kill first and ask questions later," said Hugo.

"As long as you can get me across, I'll worry about myself," responded Hasse.

"Just don't regret your decision later. The last thing I want is a burden to my group."

"I'll be fine, Hugo. By the way, what's your so called profession?"

"I'm an honorable smuggler."

"Honorable smuggler?"

"I do ordinary citizens a great service. I provide food when the government cannot. The food isn't cheap but they at least have access."

"If you two are done arguing, I think we should leave at once," interrupted Neal.

"Just give me a few minutes to gather my possessions. There isn't much but I wouldn't mind taking what little ducats I have," Hasse responded.

Hasse went into ruins to gather some clothes and small sum of ducats. He did so quickly and announced he was ready in a minute or so. Hugo led the small party to the main road and kept to the shadows where they don't attract attention. The sun was setting and shadows were stretched out everywhere. Hasse's neighborhood was made up of many ruins following the war and homeless people were everywhere. With nighttime inching closer, many of these unfortunate people tried their best gathering whatever they can to keep themselves warm. Chances were a few of them would freeze to death before the sun rises once again. Hasse was fortunate that he was stronger than most of his neighbors and the cold affected him less. The cold, lonely nights would be a distant memory for Hasse because the news of his family made him determined to be reunited with his family. Nothing was holding him back and he knew that he must get across the border or die trying. While following Hugo, Hasse reached to his chest to feel the pendant hanging from his neck. To avoid catching the attention of thieves, Hasse made sure the pendant was underneath his few layers of clothes and the bulge wouldn't be so obvious. Touching the pendant did give Hasse some hope but he still doesn't trust Hugo. Smugglers were known to be dangerous in these parts of the region and he has doubts about the man. Unfortunately, he had no choice but to rely on this man. As for how Neal would know such a man, Hasse still couldn't figure that out.

The small party made its way down the empty road. Not a single soul was venturing out this late and the only sound to disturb the silence was the howl of wolves. Wolves were the main reason why people stayed inside after dark. Hasse didn't like the idea of being outside during the dark but he knew it was too late for him to turn back. Seeing Hugo walking confidently, Hasse had at least some faith in his guide. An hour later, the party arrived at a river. Hugo knelt down and checked the ground for tracks. Following a quick inspection, he got up and continued leading the way. Hasse wasn't too thrilled to see this inspection as it could mean that soldiers might be nearby. To make matters worse, the wolves have stopped howling and, under normal circumstances, it meant they found a prey and were preparing for an attack. Hasse was unarmed and he wasn't sure about his friend. Hugo, as a smuggler, most likely always had a weapon with him. Considering those odds, Hasse wasn't too thrilled to find a pack of wolves after them. By then, only sound was the running water in the river. Hasse, despite having an urge to get a quick drink, didn't want to risk getting separated from his guides. If he got lost in the wilderness, either the wolves or the freezing temperature will get to him. Having gone this far, Hasse wasn't in the mood of having his journey cut short. How would Neal explain his death to his wife and sister? Hasse was so lost in thought that he almost collided with Neal. Seeing Neal and Hugo stop so suddenly brought Hasse back to reality and he feared what they have discovered ahead of them. The two men started retracing their steps quietly and Hasse followed suit. It didn't take long before he learned why his two guides were so careful. Not too far from them, the sound of drunk soldiers could be heard. To not risking discovery, the party had to take another route to completely avoid the soldiers.

The minor delay from taking a longer route did worsen Hugo's mood slightly. Since leaving his home, Hasse hasn't spoken a single word with the other two party member. Neither has his friend and Hugo spoke a single word. As though a single word could expose their position, no one within the party dared to make the mistake. With much ground to cover, Hasse actually welcomed the silence. The silence allowed him to focus on the path without worrying about responding to a conversation. After they left the main road, the paths the party took were uneven and, at times, muddy. Progress hasn't been quick and Hasse has no idea how Hugo could even keep track of their position. To him, all the trees and rocks looked the same while every turn they make had the same layout of trees and rocks. Suddenly, a scream pierced through the silence and everyone in the party stopped dead in his tracks. The scream didn't appear to be too far away and, to Hasse's surprise, Hugo was making his way towards the source of the scream. Hasse found no choice but to follow him and they soon arrived before a clearing. Hasse nearly threw up from viewing the terrifying scene before him. It was a massacre that saw several men, women and children slaughtered. Their blood spilled around the fire and their possessions gone. The corpses were left behind and even those were looted. Unable to speak, Hasse merely looked away while his friend did the same. Hasse wanted to see Hugo's reaction and was surprised to see a tear running down his cheek. Huge, realizing that he was watched, turned his back on Hasse and began leading the party away from the bloody scene.

The party continued on its way for another hour or so before they stopped at a cave entrance. Hugo gestured to the other two men to get inside before heading in first. The cave was a tight fit but the three men eventually got inside.

"We should rest here until morning," said Hugo.

"Why don't we keep moving?" asked Hasse.

"The temperature will drop quickly. If you don't want to freeze to death, I would suggest you stay here," responded Hugo.

"Hasse, you can trust Hugo about his survival skills. It's what has been keeping him alive for so long," said Neal.

"Alright, I don't mind catching some sleep anyways," said Hasse.

"That's the spirit!" said Neal.

The three men did their best lying down on the tight space. Hugo and Neal soon fell asleep and Hasse heard their light snoring echoing in the cave. As for Hasse, he couldn't sleep no matter how hard he tried. He was too eager to see his family again. For the entire time, he placed his hand over the pendant. Fatigue eventually overcame him and he fell into a deep sleep. Just before he fell asleep, he heard the howl of a wolf not far from their cave.

Middle Francia

Chapter 14

[August 2, 843]

(Outskirts of Groningen, Middle Francia)

Hasse heard someone calling his name and opened his eyes. He saw Neal staring down on him and, upon seeing his friend awake, Neal headed out the exit. Hasse felt like he had hardly any sleep but he still urged himself to get up. It took a short while for Hasse to get on his feet and awhile longer to get through the tight tunnel leading outdoors. When Hasse arrived outside the cave, he realized that the sky was still dark with the sun yet to rise. While the air was chilly, it was a lot more tolerable compared to the temperature drop just past midnight. Hugo looked like he had plenty of sleep while Neal, like Hasse, seemed like a few more hours in bed would do him good. Hugo saw Hasse exit the cave and shook his head.

"About time you got up. If you cannot keep up, you might as well go home. We don't have time to waste on your kind," said Hugo before walking away.

Before Hasse could respond, he saw his friend shaking his head and signaling him to follow along. Hasse decided to take his friend's advice and kept quiet. The trek through the woods was still silent except for the occasional broken branch or disturbed bushes. Hasse has learned to navigate the woods better and kept in pace with Hugo unlike the night before. By the time the sun was rising, the small party has traveled an hour or so. Without anything spoken by Hugo, it was difficult to know how far they were from their destination. For Hasse, all he could determine was that they were heading to the south. The new borders between Middle Francia and East Francia were established by a treaty but it was well known that there were still disputes on the exact location of the borders. With the disputes often escalated into bloodshed, many border patrols were positioned throughout the border in preparation for those conflicts. As a result, people caught crossing border were either killed at the spot or captured and followed by an execution. Hasse thought back to his foolishness to cross the border alone and felt thankful for his friend whose cooler head prevailed. Hugo may not belong to a trustworthy profession but he was Hasse's best chance to get across. Of course, Hasse knew he saw another side of Hugo at the scene of the massacre. He was sure he saw the tear and Hugo's reaction only further prove his point. Thinking that they would be stuck for awhile, Hasse wanted to have a chance to know the man better. He hoped that they would have a chance during breakfast but it would appear that they wouldn't have a chance to have breakfast following an unexpected surprise.

Hugo stopped and was about to tell the other two men to have a quick breakfast when he heard a sound. He signaled the other two men to get low and stay quiet while he investigate the sound. He crept quietly until he was beneath an enormous tree. Hugo then climbed the tree with ease until he reached the second highest branches where he sat down. He looked down and saw a bloodied person crawling on the ground. It didn't take long for him to recognize the man and he descended the tree swiftly. Before the descent, he checked the surrounding area and found no signs of other people. Hugo ran up to the wounded man who, upon hearing noise, tried to grab his dagger. Hugo kept his distance from the man so he wouldn't get wounded by accident.

"It's me. What happened?" said Hugo.

"It's you ... We were ambushed," the man replied.

"Let me treat your wounds."

"Don't ... waste your time. I know ... my death ... is almost here. I'm glad ... I can ... warn you."

"Tell me who ambushed you."

"Middle ... Francia ... soldiers. Have ... bounty ... on ... your ... head...."

With that, the man stopped breathing and his lifeless eyes stared to the skies. Hugo wanted to bury the man but he knew he was running out of time. He needed to get away or those soldiers will get him too. Of course, he had a decision before him. He could either escape alone or return to meet with the other two men and escape with them. Escaping alone would greatly increase his chance of eluding capture but Hugo couldn't abandon the two men without throwing his values away. It took a brief second and Hugo made up his decision. He carefully retraced his steps until he found Hasse and Neal still lying on their stomach.

"Well, what did you hear?" asked Hasse.

"We are being hunted. A group of soldiers have taken out all of my men. They are looking for me this instant," responded Hugo.

"I'm assuming that we are targeted as well since we are with you," stated Hasse.

"Yes," replied Hugo. "Let's go! They might be here any moment now."

Hugo was about to turn around when Hasse grabbed him by the shoulder.

"Thank you for not abandoning us," said Hasse and he released his hold.

Hugo thought about a response but he decided that a response wasn't necessary. He quickly visualized the local terrain and decided on their route. He began the trek with a quick pace with Hasse and Neal not far behind. Few minutes later, Hugo dropped to the ground and the other men followed suit. Nearby, they can hear the voices of a couple of soldiers.

"Why are we still here? I thought we took cared of all the smugglers," said one of the soldiers.

"I heard that their leader is still unaccounted for. They say he's sly like a snake," another soldier responded.

"Silence! Get back to your work!" said a man who was clearly the superior of the group.

The party members stayed very quiet while the soldiers were searching around. It seemed to them that the footsteps were getting closer and panic was settling in for all three men. Hasse struggled to suppress his panic fearing that he may alert the soldiers with a foolish action. A minute passed by and the footsteps appeared to be even closer. Suddenly, Hugo saw a boot a meter from his face and cursed silently. He couldn't believe his bad luck but he was relieved that, before his death, he would at least take a few soldiers with him. Just as he was grabbing his dagger, a soldier in the distance shouted something that grabbed the attention of the soldiers patrolling nearby. Believing that something was found elsewhere, the soldiers rushed to see what was happening in the distance. A few more minutes passed before Hugo let go of his breath. That was too close for comfort and he knew that they were lucky to avoid that. Still, they weren't out of the woods yet (no pun intended). Hugo did a few quick visualization in his head and roughly mapped out where he believed the soldiers were. Slowly and silently, he got to his feet and signaled the others to follow. Hugo prayed that his gamble would pay off as they made their way through the densest parts of the woods.

An hour passed by and the party hasn't met a single soldiers. Hugo hoped the soldiers were giving up on their search while his party continued southwards towards the border. Hugo hasn't had a chance to discuss the plan with his party but he had the best intentions at heart. Knowing that Neal and Hasse were trying to cross the borders, Hugo decided that their crossing would take place several days earlier. Originally, they would meet up with his men and they would plan out every step. Middle Francia was no longer safe for them and they needed to get away. Hugo had no doubt the Middle Francia soldiers already have a description of him which meant he couldn't hope to hide in villages and towns. Instead, he would get across the border where he would use his contacts to recruit more men. Neal and Hasse would cross the border as he promised and everyone would be happy. Everyone except for the soldiers but no one had any love for the soldiers. Many unspeakable crimes were committed by soldiers during the civil war and civilians no longer trusted soldiers. Most people wouldn't become a soldier unless they have to. Even if they did get into the profession, they would try their very best to quit when the first opportunity arises. Thinking about the war crimes had Hugo thinking about his family but Hugo pushed it out of his head quickly. He needed to stay focused or he won't have another chance to think back to his past.

Still cautious about his every step, Hugo stopped on more than one occasion so he could listen for signs of the soldier. For the next few hours, there weren't any and Hugo decided that they needed a quick eating break. Moving on an empty stomach could spell trouble, especially if the stomach growls at the wrong place at the wrong time. The three men took a quick bite of dried bread and fish before heading out once again. By the time they finished their snack break, clouds were moving in and covered the sun. There were still pockets of blue skies but it was becoming obvious that wasn't going to last. Hugo welcomed the clouds since they provide a cover for his party and they needed all the advantages they can get. However, the clouds also threatened rain which was a double edged sword. While the rain could wash away their tracks, muddy terrain would severely slow down their progress and potentially give the soldiers more time to prepare for their arrival. Hugo wasn't fooled that the soldiers might take a more direct route and attempt to cut them off there. The fact that a bounty was placed upon his head meant many people were eager to his hands on Hugo's head. Hugo would rather have his head on his shoulders and he intended on keeping it that way.

As expected, the rain was pouring down and progress through the muddy trails were slow. With the rain and the occasional thunder strikes, Hugo couldn't use his ears to pick up any noise. Instead, he had to keep an eye out for anything out of place. With a rough estimation, Hugo had reason to believe that they were only half a day from the border. Had there been no rain, they would arrive in half that time. Unfortunately, the estimation were based on not encountering any soldiers. Being detected would greatly complicate things and, assuming they survive, the complication may alert patrols on the other side of the border. Overall, an encounter with soldiers would probably spell the end for them. Hugo, with his senses alert, heard a branch breaking. He quickly turned around and stared down at the ground. There weren't any branches on the ground around them which clearly meant someone or something else was nearby. He gestured the others to get down on their belly while he climbed a nearby tree. When he reached the first branch, he caught sight of some movement not far away. It took him a few seconds to locate the six soldiers that were spread out in a line and they were headed right for Hasse's position. Hugo knew that he was racing against time and he needed to act before others might be alerted. With much thought, he descended from his tree and gave a wide berth to sneak behind his pursuers.

With the rain pouring down, Hugo knew he had the element of surprise on his side. In addition, the soldiers were spaced out well enough that it was difficult to notice something missing. He took out his dagger without a sound and began sneaking behind the first soldier. The soldier was so focused at his work that he didn't react until the dagger slit his throat. Hugo helped the body fall onto the ground before making his way to the next soldier. The soldiers fell one by one until only one man was left. When Hugo got close, he recognized the soldier as a captain. The captain, as though his sixth sense was kicking in, was looking around. He shouted to his men and got no response. Hugo was trying to close the gap but he accidentally stepped on a branch. The captain realized something was wrong and looked at the direction of the sound. A lightning strike nearby illuminated Hugo and the captain drew his sword. The captain charged like a madman hoping to win a quick victory. Hugo easily sidestepped the captain and kept some distance between them. The captain, after all, had a greater reach with his sword and a dagger may not be enough to deflect his strikes. The captain slashed away and Hugo cursed under his breath. The captain was skilled and left no openings when he struck. Hugo then felt his back pushed against the tree and cursed again. He was so preoccupied with dodging the strikes that he failed to realize the captain was forcing him into making a huge mistake. A look at the captain told Hugo that he just made his last mistake in life. Taking a deep breath, he was ready for his death.

Out of nowhere, a large branch flew through the air and the captain used his sword to deflect it. While the branch didn't harm the captain, the deflection did result in the sword getting stuck in the branch. Without any hesitation, Hugo brought up his dagger and jammed it right into the captain's throat. The captain used his last strength to swing a right hook that knocked Hugo down. While Hugo was slightly dazed from the impact, the captain fell on his back with his left hand grasping the hilt of the dagger. Already, his strength was leaving his body and his life slowly slipping away. Hasse came over to help Hugo up and Hugo was gratified for the help. He was still dazed and Hasse suggested that they find somewhere to rest. Hugo was in no position to argue and followed along. They found a cave eventually and the three men, despite being soaked to the bone, chose not to light a fire fearing that they may alert any nearby soldiers. Exhaustion has settled in and all three men were asleep almost instantly. The rain was drizzling by then and whatever tracks they left behind were washed away. The corpses would, by nighttime, be found by scavengers and a feast would ensue. For the party members, they have just managed to elude death or capture but none of them were sure if their luck would hold. They would have prayed had they been awake long enough to do so.

The rain has stopped by the time Hugo opened his eyes. The dizziness in his head has practically subsided and Hugo tried to get up with his own strength. After a short struggle, Hugo got on his feet but he woke up Hasse and Neal in the process. He hated his clumsiness to wake his party members and looked out the cave entrance. While the rain has stopped, the grey clouds still blanketed the skies. He turned around and sat down thinking that they needed a short eating break before they headed back out.

"Thank you to whoever that saved my life," said Hugo after they finished eating.

"It was all Hasse. He was looking around and found the branch. I hate to admit it but I froze in place," responded Neal.

"How can I repay you, Hasse?" asked Hugo.

"No need," answered Hasse. "Just get me across the border and we're even."

"I cannot do that. Getting you across was the original deal. I'm not a rat that doesn't pay up," said Neal. "Just name a price."

"If I must, I want to know about your past," requested Hasse.

"That's an odd request," Hugo replied.

"I don't want you to owe me anything but I can see I cannot get away empty-handed. I might as well know you better," said Hasse

"Alright, I'll keep it short then. I was once a merchant traveling across the empire. I made good ducats and I had a nice family. When the civil war started, we got caught in the middle and my family was massacred," said Hugo followed by a pause where he was trying to hold in his emotions.

"Just like that massacre we saw earlier? I saw you shed a tear there."

Hugo formed a small smile. "Not much gets past your eyes, right?" asked Hugo. "I will admit that scene brought back memories. Since then, I decided to become a smuggler since it's almost exactly like my old profession with the exception of the dangers we face."

"I was wrong about you, Hugo. I thought you were a man that wanted to get ducats the easy way. I apologize," said Hasse.

"No need, Hasse. I admit that the profession isn't all honorable but it's something I'm stuck doing. It's the only thing I'm good at and I cannot bear return to being a merchant," replied Hugo.

Neal made a small cough. "If you two are done," he interrupted, "I think we should get on our way."

Hasse and Hugo both looked at Neal and laughed.

"What?" asked Neal but the other two men already started making their way out the cave entrance.

When Hugo stepped outside, he allowed his instincts to take over and carefully scanned his surroundings while listened with his ears. With the exception of a few birds, they were in the clear. The party continued its way south with Hugo in the lead. Several hours passed and the skies behind the clouds were starting to darken. No signs of soldiers could be seen and Hugo knew in his gut that they were real close. Somehow, the cave they rested in coincided with their path to the borders. Thus, the party wasted little time other than the minutes to rest up. Hugo looked around and was reminded by his recent memories where he and his group crossed the borders in secret. He couldn't believe that they were gone forever and he was the only survivor. Hoping to not join his friends, Hugo couldn't let his guard down at any moment. Getting to the borders was the first challenge. His second challenge was to get across past the patrols within East Francia territory. If they managed to do just that, they could hide amongst the locals and then they would have a much easier time getting around. A few minutes passed by and Hugo was sure they were standing just before the official border. With the treaty once signed recently, the exact position of the borders were still disputed. Hugo was just sure that any soldiers they met past the border would serve the ruler of East Francia. Taking a deep breath, he led the party past the border into the woods within East Francia.

The party made good progress because moonlight was sneaking through the pockets within the clouds. With some illumination, the party got through the woods relatively easily despite the muddy terrain. Hugo estimated that they had a few minutes of trekking to go before they were safe from the border patrol. However, fate had other plans when two arrows whizzed into the midst of the party. One missed completely and got stuck to a tree. The other found its mark and pierced into Neal's leg.

"Go without me!" screamed Neal who knew he would be a burden.

Hasse hesitated but Hugo didn't give him time to pause by dragging him along. When Neal was too far to see in the dark, Hasse finally got his legs to work and ran alongside with Hugo. They could hear the soldiers behind them and they sprinted for their lives. The woods were behind them and wide open fields stretched out before them. In the distance, Hasse could see faint torches and he suspected that the village was their destination. The lack of nutrition and proper rest had quickly drained the two men of their strength. Luckily for them, the soldiers haven't been living any better and the gap hasn't closed yet. It soon became a race of endurance and Hasse vowed to succeed so he can be reunited with his family. As for Hugo, he was determined to find the man that slaughtered his group. With their goals set, both men found untapped strength within themselves and began creating a larger gap between themselves and the pursuers. Just when the village was within sight, Hugo realized too late that a single soldier was positioned at the entrance. To make matters worse, his bow was drawn and his arrow was pointed right at Hasse. Running to quickly to maneuver around quick enough, Hugo charged at the soldier hoping to get his attention. The soldier, intending on shooting down his target, released his arrow. Hasse was too busy sprinting and failed to see the soldier until the arrow was released. The arrow found its mark and Hasse tumbled for a few meters before stopping. Hugo pulled out his dagger and disposed of the soldier. He then rushed over to Hasse and, seeing the pursuers closing the gap, he hauled Hasse over his shoulders like a sack of potatoes and ran into the village.

Middle Francia

Chapter 15

[August 2, 843]

(Village near border, East Francia)

"I think he's waking up."

"It's too soon. Knock him out!"

"Is that a good idea?"

"He'll thank us later. We are sparing him much pain."

"Assuming that we don't given him a concussion."

"Shut up and do what I say!"

"Alright!"

[August 7, 843]

"He's waking up again. Should I hit him again?"

"No! Why did I take you up as my apprentice?"

"No one else volunteered."

"I should've took the cow as my apprentice. Even she appears brighter than you."

"I'll take that as a compliment!"

"Go gather herbs in the woods."

"It's not safe. What if the soldiers found me there?"

"I pray that they will take you to a faraway place. Get going before I grab my cane."

"Alright! I'll go!"

The young girl left the hut and the midwife, also the only physician in town, knelt beside her patient.

"Drink this," she said as she poured the contents into the patient's mouth.

The patient obeyed without question and he fell back to sleep.

[August 9, 843]

Hasse opened his eyes and tried turning his head.

"You're awake, sleepyhead!" shouted Neal.

"Neal, how?" asked Hasse.

"Hugo came back and freed me."

"Where is he? I must thank him."

"No need. He said you saved his life. He's also out of town."

"How did I save his life when I'm the one lying in bed?"

"If you weren't there, he would be the one shot and he wouldn't be as lucky."

"I guess that arrow missed my vitals?"

"Yup, you are one lucky man. The pendant you wore saved your life."

"What?"

"The pendant around your neck managed to deflect the arrow enough so it misses your heart. Apparently, that soldier that shot you was known for his accuracy with a bow."

Hasse tried to raise his hand but found no strength.

"Don't move, Hasse. I have your pendant right here," said Neal.

Neal showed Hasse his pendant which has cracked open where it was dented before.

"The pendant was split open by the force and there is something inside. I don't know what language it's in but it looks foreign," said Neal.

Hasse, having spent all his strength, was already asleep in bed. Neal decided to let his friend rest and laid down himself. Not long after, both men were fast asleep and their snores echoed the hut.

[August 23, 843]

(Münster, East Fricia)

"Brother!"

Hasse looked up and saw his sister. They ran towards each other and gave each other a warm embrace.

"About time you get here."

Hasse let go of his sister and turned around to see Jeske standing right there.

"You're as beautiful as ever, my love," said Hasse as he approached his wife and embraced her. Unable to contain his emotions, he began crying and his emotions seemed to affect everyone around him, including Hugo. "Let's stay together this time and start a new life here."

Modern World

[February 2, 2001]

(Valetta, Malta)

Two men sailed out to sea in their rented yacht. The weather was perfect for a day out on the water and the duo had a goal in mind. As treasure hunters, the two men sought wreckage and sell whatever artifacts they can find. So far, they haven't made any big discoveries and therefore have yet to make a big name for themselves. With the recent information gathered from a reliable source, they hoped that their luck can change with a massive find. According to their contact, the wreckage belonged to a Roman ship sunk during the First Punic War. When asked for proof of the wreck, the contact produced some convincing artifacts retrieved from the wreck. The contact claimed that he was getting too old and wanted to give a few younger men a chance at glory. With their information, the duo quickly booked plane tickets to Malta International Airport where they rented a vehicle so they can arrive at Valetta. There, they got a yacht and set sail as soon as possible. Being too eager in finding their wreck, the two men failed to notice a car that has followed them from the airport to Valetta. When their yacht left the port, another yacht set sailed and, while maintaining some distance, followed the yacht. One of the men was driving the yacht while the other man looked over the map to pinpoint the last known location of the wreck. The contact stated that it wasn't likely the wreckage moved too far from the original position and provided enough information to narrow down the searching area. After pondering over the map, the man then checked the gears to ensure that they were ready for the dive.

A brief chat between the two men had them agreeing upon arriving on top of the wreck. They put on their scuba gear and entered the water. Initially, the water was clear with the two divers capable of seeing far into the distance. As they began approaching the bottom, their presence startled some of the local inhabitants and sediments were disturbed. The water became slightly murky and the two divers chose to wait awhile until the sediments settled down. As soon as the water was clear again, they continued on their way along the sea floor looking for the signs of the wreckage. One of the divers tapped the other diver on the shoulder and pointed at the sea floor ahead of him. It appeared to be a hull and the divers were delighted that they found the wreckage so quickly. They swam towards the wreckage to get a better look and, based on their limited history lessons, believed that wreck did belong to a Roman galley. The two divers got to work by searching the outer parameters to get an idea of the area they must cover. By knowing the area they must cover, they can devise a plan to lower the risk of artifacts getting carried away by the underwater current. The initial swim around the wreckage told them that the ship was fairly large but sections have broken off. With half a ship to work with, the two of them still required a fair amount of time sifting through the wreckage.

One of the divers noticed a shiny objects not far from the wreck. He was about to swim towards it when he noticed a shadow from an object above him. At first, he assumed it was the shadow of a fish above him. When he was closing in on the object, he noticed the shadow growing larger and he had doubts that it belonged to a small fish. Fearing that he may have encountered a shark, he looked up to confirm his suspicions. The diver looked up just in time to see an unknown diver guiding a DPV towards him. Before he can react, the stranger pulled out a knife and cut through the hose connecting the mouthpiece and the regulator before making his way to the other diver. The diver tried to grab the assailant but the DPV carried the other diver to a safe distance. Seeing his hose cut through, the unfortunate diver panicked and made the mistake of ascending too quickly. The diver soon succumbs to the bends and his body would eventually be found by the local coast guards. As for his partner, the same fate awaited that man and the assailant was free to searching the wreck. The assailant took awhile searching the wreck before stopping before the object that caught the diver's eye earlier. Rubbing away the sediment that has built up on the wreck, the assailant smiled and pulled the object from the wreck. In his hands, he held a pendant with the Roman Insignia. Having accomplished his mission, the man began his slow ascent to the surface where his group was awaiting his return.

Nation 5 - Byzantium
Prologue 5

Hiding in the shadows, a man waited for his friend. He merely kept to the shadows and the few passersby didn't even know he was there. The chill in the air kept everyone inside but the man was used to it. Of course, the man also made an important discovery. Since being sent to Istanbul under the cover of a history professor, the man went through the archives for any hints to the object he was searching for. In Istanbul, the man was known as Cagri. Not much was known from the man but people in the city were used to that. As a metropolis, Istanbul was home to fourteen million and growing. So many people came and went which meant a stranger didn't stick out like a sore thumb. Cagri waited an hour for his friend who normally was never late unless he encountered something important. Just as Cagri was ready to head back to his temporary home, he saw a figure running down the street. Under the street lamps, Cagri made out his friend, Steve, covering the distance in a few quick strides.

"Sorry about the lateness," he said to no one in particular.

Steve didn't look at his friend but merely appeared to be leaning against the wall for support. Cagri waited for his friend to get his breath back first.

"What was this big discovery you spoke of?" asked Steve.

"Oh, I've found an entry that may solve the answer to our problem," answered Cagri.

"Do enlighten me!"

"There was a brief entry by a scholar working under Constantine Palaiologos that people would easily overlook. I missed it the first time as well."

"It must be important if you had to look over it again. What does it mention?"

"Do you know about the Varangian Guards?"

"They sound familiar but I can't put a finger on it."

"They used to serve as personal guards under Byzantium Emperors."

"Ah yes, they also seemed to cease to exist entering the fifteen century."

"Assimilated is a better word. Anyways, there were still those that considered themselves Varagians as late as the mid-fifteenth century."

"Well, their kind does end with the collapse of the Byzantine Empire."

"However, they made a final contribution the day before the Turks entered the city of the world's desire."

"You mean they took the artifact with them? It wasn't destroyed by the Turks as many believed?"

"Yes, a small group of them took the artifact with them and managed to leave the city."

"Where were they heading for?"

"Athens."

"I see. You did a great job. Is that everyone you got?"

"Yes, I'm afraid that will be the most I can dig up," Cagri said before he sees his friend pointing a gun with a silencer at his chest. "Wait, why are you doing this to me?"

"I'm afraid we have both been uncovered. You will have to go to the afterlife first. I'll follow soon enough," replied Steve before he let loose two shots. "Goodbye, my friend. I'm afraid I won't be going where you are headed."

1R5KfH6.png

Our fifth nation will be Byzantium. The starting date is May 28, 1453. The Turks are close to breaking through the defenses. The Byzantium Emperor, Constantine Palaiologos, vowed to defend the city with his life. However, he wasn't fooled by the dire situation they were in. He knew that his city would fall under the Ottomans soon enough and there was little he could do. Still, he must ensure that the greatest Byzantine treasure never fall into the hands of the enemy. You, as one of the last Varangians, must take this treasure away from the city to a foreign nation where it would be out of reach. Will you succeed your final duty as a Varangians?

-name
-short background

Byzantium

Chapter 16

[May 28, 1453]

(Constantinople, Byzantium)

Dion waited in the room with the other Varangians after they received orders to arrive at the secret room within the palace.

The invaders have arrived more than a month before and their cannons have pounded the city walls without any mercy. Initially, the defenders thought they had a chance to hold back the invaders and protect their capital from the heathens. When the heathen navy somehow got past the long chains in the Bosphorus, the Emperor and his subjects knew that all hope was lost. It was only a matter of time before the enemy can get through. Anticipating the end to arrive shortly, the Emperor arranged an emergency meeting in a secret room within his palace.

The Varangians had a rough idea of their task at hand. Since the start of the siege, only ten of the original two dozen Varangians still lived. The Emperor, Constantine Palaiologos, knew that the remaining Varangians would happily lay down their lives for their Emperor and their empire. However, he couldn't allow that to happen until he was sure the great Byzantium treasure was out of reach of the Turkish invaders forever. With that in mind, he assembled his remaining, most trusted warriors to give them a final order.

The Emperor shoved open the door leading to the door with his two trusted advisers behind him. The Varangians, upon seeing his arrival, knelt down before him. The Emperor ignored them at first and walked across the room before stopping before the wall. His hands pressed against the wall until two mechanisms were activated. Slowly, sections of the wall collapsed revealing a small hidden room. The Emperor stepped inside before exiting with a small chest in his arms. With care, he placed it before the Varangians.

"You know why I have called you here. We cannot hold back the invaders any longer but we mustn't allow them get their hands on this treasure. If the heathens obtained this treasure, then the enemies of God will have won the war. You ten are the last Varangians. Perform your final duty and protect this treasure. Protect it with your life and, if necessary, hide it where no man can find it. You don't have much time left. Begin your journey immediately!"

The Varangians bowed their heads once before raising up. Dion, the leader of the Varangians, had the honor to carry the chest and, to his surprise, the treasure to determine the fate of men weighed almost nothing. Still, he carried it with care and placed it into his sack with his other supplies. The Emperor has already left them to return to the walls where he would make his final stand. The Varangians didn't waste any time in the palace as they were ready for the journey through the underground catacombs.

One Varangian, Laius, led the way with a torch. He opened an old creaking gate revealing stairs leading deep underground. Without hesitation, Laius took the lead and the others followed. For safety reasons, Dion would be traveling right in the middle where his front and rear were covered. The ten Varangians made their way down the abandoned stairs slowly with only a single torch guiding their way. Few minutes later, the party found itself looking down a long hallway. The catacombs were known to the Varangians but its interior layout was still a mystery for them. Armed with an old faded map, Laius guided the party through the maze-like hallways until they arrived before another sets of gate. Unlike the first gate, these ones were jammed shut and all ten men needed to push before the gate began to budge. The opening of the gate disturbed the dust that has built up. The party waited until the dust settled down before they continued their journey.

Behind the stubborn gates, stairwell leading upwards awaited the Varangians. Proceeding up the stairs in a single file, the Varangians had little idea what awaited them at the end of the stairwell. Reaching the end, the party found itself in a small abandoned hut. Laius walked towards the door and opened it quietly. He looked through the small opening and breathed a sigh of relief.

"We are outside the city," he said and blew out his torch.

Laius pushed the door opened and headed outside with the others following him. The Varangians found themselves at an abandoned village not far from the capital city. They could still hear the cannon shots and knew they still weren't safe. Just as they were about to leave the village, they heard shouts from the nearby field. A group of Turkish scouts were apparently scouting the area and caught sight of them. The scouts weren't fools as they chose to not engage the enemy but, rather, report the news to their superiors. Seeing the scouts riding back towards the city, the Varangians knew that the enemy would be sending pursuers after them shortly. Without waiting to see the response of their enemy, the Varangians moved quickly on foot to the nearby woods where they began their trek westwards. Their final destination was to be Athens where the treasure could be, as believed by the Emperor and his subjects, hidden for an eternity.

[May 30, 1453]

The Turkish pursuers were determined in tracking down their prey and two Varangians have already fallen in battle. The sacrifice of those two Varangians weren't in vain though. They split up with the main group the day before and managed to buy time for the main group to get away. The problem was that the Varangians were making little progress on foot while their enemy had many horses at their disposal. Dion knew that, at the rate they were going, the enemy may just get them before they could get to a port.

The Varangians had a quick meeting and they decided to all split up. With eight Varangians going their separate ways, the Turkish would have a hard time pinpointing Dion who had the chest with him. With reluctance, Dion agreed to the plan and the eight men said their farewells. Dion waited until his seven brothers left before continuing his journey west.

[June 2, 1453]

It has been two days since Dion traveled alone and he has been fortunate. He had no choice but assume that his brothers were all captured or dead. Dion knew none of his brothers would betray him and, so far, haven't seen any traces of the pursuers. He was close to the small port nearby but he wasn't ready to lower his guard. He carried too heavy of a burden to allow it fall into the enemy's hands. Dion pressed on with the belief that God was watching over him.

-hours later-

Dion stopped by a stream and got his fill of water. His food supply was running dangerous low but he was fortunate to have found water along the way. There still weren't any signs of the Turks and Dion was only an hours walk from the port. He carried on and, upon hearing a branch break, immediately got down on his stomach. He heard the men speaking Turkish language and was relieved that they didn't notice him. It was then he heard a familiar voice and risked a peek through the bush. To his horror, he saw Laius speaking with the Turks with ease as though they knew each other well. Dion gritted his teeth learning of the betrayal and it took all his restraint to remain hidden and not rip Laius to pieces with his bare hands. With the enemy so close, Dion had to stay low and bid his time.

-an hour later-

Dion knew he was out of earshot of the Turks and the traitor and quickly made his way deeper into the woods. Knowing that the Turks knew about the port, Dion couldn't risk heading in that direction knowing an ambush might have been set up there. Unsure about his next move, Dion found a small hidden clearing where he sat down to think. He was low on food and water wasn't guaranteed into the roads ahead. The port was under the surveillance of the enemy which meant he couldn't hope to escape through that route. After some pondering, Dion picked to head north into Ottoman territory. The Turks wouldn't expect this and Dion had to make the gamble. With any luck, the Turks may assume he died along the journey and give up searching him. With that in mind, Dion began his journey to the north.

Byzantium

Chapter 17

[June 4, 1453]

(Outskirts of Constantinople, Former Byzantium)

Dion was traveling along the small trail when he heard a stream nearby. He slipped off the trail through a break in the trees and found a tiny stream. Kneeling down, he drank his fill before filling his waterskin. The grumbling of his stomach reminded him that he ran out of food the day before. Behind him, he heard people walking along the trail and quickly hid in some dense bushes. He could hear the small party a moment later and they were speaking Greek. Catching bits and pieces of the conversation, Dion learned that the Byzantine Empire was no more. The men spoke of a last-ditch effort by the defenders of holding the breaches and their eventual death after being overwhelmed. For the first time since his childhood, Dion shed a tear and felt bitterness for the end of his nation. Reaching back to his bag, he felt around until his hands touched the outline of the chest. He vowed to keep the chest safe before he would join the other Varangians.

-several hours later-

Dion was ready to rest when he heard a crack of a branch nearby. Unsure who was there, he laid as low as possible and listened. Few seconds passed and Dion detected a presence to his right. He carefully adjusted his body until he faced that direction. Peeking through some bushes, Dion caught sight of a rabbit sniffing the air. He couldn't believe his good luck and decided to catch the rabbit for food. Before he could get ready to move in for the kill, multiple crack of branches were heard nearby and Dion realized, to his dismay, that those sounded awfully like hooves. He got onto his feet and moved swiftly into a dense bush where he waited for arrival of men on horses. It didn't take long before he saw half a dozen horsemen moving through the forest. One of the horse men has already notched an arrow and shot it straight into the rabbit. Dion saw one horseman carrying many game which suggested that they were a hunting party. Breathing a sigh of relief, Dion waited patiently until the hunting party ventured elsewhere for their hunt. Seeing that the coast was clear, he continued making his way north.

[June 5, 1453]

Dion decided to take a gamble when he lit a small fire. He got lucky with a rabbit he caught along with the berries he found in a nearby bush. Nearly three days have passed since he last ate and he was losing strength. To keep going, he had to get something into his stomach. When the fire was ready, he immediately set to cook the skinned rabbit and finished eating the berries in mere seconds. Not waiting for the rabbit to be fully cooked, Dion cut off pieces with his dagger and devoured the rabbit in mere seconds as well. He then proceeded to putting out the fire and headed into the darkness. After covering only a short distance from his fire, Dion heard men shouting nearby. It would appear that a group of men found his fire and were searching the nearby area. Dion cursed under his breath and found a dense bush to hide in. The moon was partly hidden which made visibility very poor in the woods. When men got closer to Dion's hiding place, Dion recognized them as soldiers. While he wasn't sure if these were men that were pursuing the treasure or not, Dion wasn't going to take a chance of getting caught.

One soldier was closing in on Dion and he carefully searched every bush. He then stopped before Dion's bush and was about to poke his spear in the bush when Dion drove his dagger into the man's neck before pulling him into the bush. Dion knew he had little time before the other soldiers would notice the absence of the dead soldier and decided to make his move. He carefully moved from bushes to bushes towards clearing where his fire was at. He would then cross the clearing and hope he wasn't caught. However, his luck didn't held up this time when he heard shouts from the soldiers and their footsteps that suggested they were heading in his direction. Dion decided to continue with his plan and charged across the clearing before running through the break in the trees. The soldiers caught sight of him and pursed him. The soldiers weren't too thrilled with their assignment in the area but they didn't mind returning with something to show. Unfortunately for Dion, these men were more familiar with the local terrain and, before the Varangian realized, they already had him surrounded.

Stepping into a clearing, Dion found himself surrounded by the soldiers. With nowhere to run, Dion pulled out his sword readying himself for battle. He was thankful that he had a quick bite to eat and looked for an opening. He couldn't die in the clearing or the Turks would get their hands on the treasure. The soldiers closed in on their surrounded prey and readied themselves for the kill. Dion spent the whole time analyzing his pursuers and noticed one soldier had a slight limp. Waiting until the soldiers were even closer, Dion leaped at the soldier with a limp and managed to take him out of commission with a slash to his neck. Not waiting for the response of the other soldier, Dion jumped over the dying soldier and sprinted for his life. The soldiers gave chase once again and the distance between them was closing. Dion knew he couldn't outrun or outsmart his enemies in these parts of the woods and looked around for a possible way out. Under the dim moonlight, Dion managed to catch sight of a cave not far from his location. With his last burst of energy, Dion ran towards the cave with the soldiers in close pursuit.

Entering the cave entrance, Dion found himself staring into absolute darkness. The sound of the soldiers behind him reminded him that he had no choice but move forward. Dashing into the darkness, Dion had to feel his way around to move around the save passages. Hearing the soldiers slowing down told Dion that they, too, aren't familiar with the underground cavern and relied on their hands as well. Moving steadily, Dion headed deeper into the darkness until one of his feet stepped onto open air. Using his hands to steady himself, Dion got down on one knee and felt an opening through the floor. He grabbed a nearby stone and threw it down a hole. It took several seconds before he heard the impact echo back to his position. Faced with pursuing soldiers and a deep hole leading to his possible demise, Dion took a deep breath and jumped down the hole. While he did brace for impact, Dion felt the air forced out of his lungs the moment he hit the bottom. Struggling to get up, he felt that his gamble has failed when he heard soldiers coming after him. The injury appeared to be more serious as Dion simply blacked out shortly after. Dion was unconscious before the soldiers even reached the ground.

Byzantium

Chapter 18

[February 13, 2001]

(Athens, Greece)

A man was waiting in a black vehicle when a nearby alarm went off. Hearing the alarm, the man turned on the ignition and drove in front of the museum where he stopped. He opened the passenger window across him and stared out through it. To other bystanders, the man appeared to be a passerby curious about the commotion caused by the alarm. A moment later, a man and a woman exited the museum gates. The woman was carrying a small chest in her arms while the other man had a hostage in one hand and a handgun in the other. The woman entered the front passenger seat while cradling the chest like a baby. As soon as she got in, she quickly pulled the seat belt over her while having one of her arms tight wrapped around the chest. The man shoved the hostage into the rear seats head first before getting in himself. Before either of them had a chance to close their doors, the driver stepped on the gas and they headed down the road. The man and woman quickly closed their doors before taking a deep breath. The hostage, dazed from the dive into the car, was trying to sit up on the seat. The man in the rear looked at the driver who, having caught his eyes through the rear-view mirrors, merely nodded. Seeing the nod, the man knocked the hostage out cold and got comfortable in his seat.

The sirens could be heard from the distance and both the woman and the man were nervous. The driver, appearing to be unfazed by the sirens, drove into a parking lot where he eventually made his way into an empty garage. The garage door closed the moment the vehicle entered and four men, dressed as mechanics, entered the garage. With efficiency and skill, the four men peeled off the temporary paint that was applied onto the vehicle earlier that day and revealed the white paint underneath. The garage door then opened and the driver left without a single word to the four men. Exiting the garage, the driver and his accomplices saw several police cars racing across the road. The white car made its way to the road and resumed its journey behind the police cars. The driver entered a number into his phone before returning it back to his pocket. They continued down the road until they came across an empty parking lot. The driver drove the vehicle inside and left the vehicle idling.

"Did you retrieve what we needed?" asked the driver.

"I've got part of what we need," replied the woman.

"That means you two failed," accused the driver.

"No, we didn't. Honestly, this was the only thing they got. Whatever information we got weren't accurate," argued the man in the back.

The driver stared at the rear-view mirrors and got the attention of the man. The man decided to shut up and stared out the window.

"He's right. Whatever information we got weren't accurate," said the woman.

"Explain," the driver responded.

"According to our sources, they said that our object can be found here in Athens. The object was supposed to be delivered here and it would eventually find its way to the museum here. In the end, only the key, which is in the chest I have here, arrived. If I may hazard a guess, I would say the person delivering the object never made it to Athens. We don't even know if he made it out of the Byzantium borders," explained the woman.

The driver thought about the explanation while his two accomplices kept quiet. A minute passed before the silence was broken.

"Who was the one that delivered the key then?" asked the driver.

"If the translations were accurate, the man that delivered the key was called Laius," answered the woman.

"Who was supposed to deliver the object?" the driver asked.

"We don't know. We are sure about one thing though. The other Varangian never made it to the port or he would have arrived in Athens. All clues point to the man failing to get out of Byzantium alive," the woman offered.

The driver stayed silent for another short while before he turned to the man sitting in the back.

"Get rid of the hostage now," the driver commanded.

The man immediately took out his handgun and, following two quick shots to the head of the unconscious hostage, threw the corpse out the car. The corpse would tumble into the ditch and be out of sight from any passersby.

"I guess we're going to Istanbul," the driver said to the woman, "Call the head office so they can get us our tickets and passports."

[April 3, 1593]

(Outskirts of Istanbul, Ottoman Empire)

Three men made their way through the dark tunnels. They had two torches lighting the way but the darkness still seemed rather overwhelming. The bravest of the three signaled to his friends to wait while he took a torch to explore deeper into a passageway. The other two members of the party were only too happy for the break. The party has been traveling through the cave for awhile but they have yet to find what they were looking for. Exhausted and demoralized, the party was ready to throw in the towel and abandon their hopeless quest. Suddenly, the two men heard their friend call out and, thinking their friend found something, they eagerly traveled down the passage.

When the three men met up, they were still in the passage outside a chamber.

"Did you find any gold?" asked one of the men.

"I've found some corpses. I thought you two would be interested," replied the bravest of the group.

The other two men went pale but curiosity got the best of them. They took a look into the chamber and, from the dim torch flames, they saw three skeletons lying on the floor. Before they can say anything, the bravest man tiptoed into the chamber before he stopped before one of the skeletons. The skeleton wore clothing that appeared foreign but what he had in his arms caught the eye of the man. In his hands, a small chest with beautiful engravings carved throughout its exterior. The man knew that something valuable must be in the box if it was so beautifully designed. He grabbed at the chest but it was caught by the skeleton arms which seemed to refuse to part ways with the treasure. With a harder pull, the chest broke free and the pieces of the skeleton were scattered across the chamber. Eager to return home to open the chest, the man joined his friends at the entrance.

Subbed! This is very interesting. :)

Subbed! This is very interesting. :)

Welcome aboard! :) You are in time to submit a character for the next nation.

Nation 6 - Jerusalem
Prologue 6

A man entered the library and headed for the front desk. The librarian was busy typing but she stopped when she noticed someone was there. She looked up and immediately smiled.

"Rick! How nice to see you! How are you today?" asked the librarian.

"Do you flash that sexy smile at everyone who approaches you, Jessica?" asked Rick.

"No, I save my smile for single, attractive guys like you. Otherwise, the library would be filled above its capacity with illiterate men."

"I will be honest about the fact that I'm not free tonight."

"That's too bad. I was thinking about how I could help you with finding information you desperately needed. If you don't have the time, I guess we'll have to meet again another time."

"I believe I paid you to help people out," said an old man approaching the front desk.

Jessica turned and quickly walked over to the old man to support him.

"Grandpa, why are you up? Please head back to bed," she pleaded.

"I would stay in bed if I had someone else at the front desk. Just look at your attitude towards Rick," said the old man before he turned towards Rick. "I must apologize for her attitude. She got her temper from her mother."

"No worries," replied Rick. "We are just joking around. We knew each other well enough. We were ..."

"Let's cut to the chase, young man," the old man interrupted. "Why are you here? Did the Eclipse sent you here?"

Rick laughed and said, "Old Sam, I see why they still have you on the team."

Sam, with his granddaughter supporting him, gestured Rick to follow him before making his way up the stairs.

"I'm not young anymore. Heck, I may retire soon. I have one regret," Sam spoke while climbing the stairs slowly.

"What might your regret be?" asked Rick.

"My granddaughter still hasn't married. I could only hope she could get married before you youngsters decide to bury me inside a coffin," responded Sam.

"Grandpa!" complained Jessica.

"Don't worry, Sam. Jessica and I are already engaged," said Rick.

"I'm not stupid, young man. However, I still want to thank you for trying. My granddaughter is too difficult to handle. There's a reason why men generally stay away from her. Anyways, why are you being sent here?" asked Sam.

"I'm here to learn more about the Third Crusade," replied Rick.

"Ah! Excellent! Saladin and Richard the Lionheart! I'm excited already," exclaimed Sam.

"I fear that we won't be focusing on those. You see, I need information on the Siege of Jerusalem and the two weeks leading up to it," said Rick.

"I see why you came here. Information regarding the weeks leading up to the siege can be scarce. Can you be more specific with what you are looking for?" asked Sam.

"I'm looking into the black market in the region," responded Rick.

4M2qq0K.png

Our sixth nation will be Jerusalem. The starting date is September 2, 1187. Rumor has it that a Muslim army is making its way to Jerusalem. The leader of that army, Saladin, wishes to retake the holy city from the Christians for his fellow brothers. The news of war isn't a promising one for ordinary civilians but you, on the other hand, may find it as an opportunity to get rich quickly. Working in the black market has its perks and you hope to make a huge profit from the upcoming war. Will you be swimming in ducats and retire early? Will you fail in your quest and bid for another opportunity in the future? Or will you become a victim of the war and die like many others within the city?

-name
-short background

Jerusalem

Chapter 19

[September 2, 1187]

(Jerusalem, Jerusalem)

Abyad darted through the streets hoping that no one would pay him any attention. As a Muslim, the guards would find any excuse to give him a good beating. The guards were, after all, Christians that show no respect for others. However, Abyad does like the fact that Christians pay well for goods and information, especially information. Still, he has been dealing with enough Christians to know that it would be wise to not get on their bad side. The Crusaders were nothing more than bullies and angering them could get you killed. News of Saladin leading an army towards Jerusalem has reached across the region. For Abyad, this could be the opportunity he waited for. The Crusaders will need supplies, weapons and information. As luck would have it, Abyad could get all of those for the right price. If he could work quickly, Abyad might just have a chance leaving the holy city before the siege and live as a very wealthy man. Running into an alley, Abyad bumped into a man. He was about to turn and run but the man already tripped him up. The man knelt down with a dagger in his hand.

"Abyad! I thought you would be delighted to see me." said Godfrey. "What the hurry?"

Godfrey was admiring his dagger and Abyad knew he must be careful with his words. One wrong word and he may lose a finger or two. Godfrey was infamous in the region with his methods of dealing with his enemies or anyone unlucky enough to get in his way. To encounter Godfrey was never a good omen but he pays so well. Abyad thought for a brief second before he came to a decision.

"Lord Godfrey! What a surprise!" said Abyad. "I didn't think you would be here. Where are my manners? I apologize for bumping into you."

"I'm not here for pleasantries, Abyad," replied Godfrey.

"Of course! I know why you are here though."

"Oh? Do enlighten me."

"You must prepare to defend the holy city against that vile Saladin. You must need arms and supplies."

"You don't hold Saladin in high regards, do you?"

"Lord Godfrey, I've been here long enough to know that one mustn't believe everything people say. For all we know, Saladin may just be a dictator trying to spread propaganda around here."

"That's music to my ears. So, what about the weapons and supplies?"

"As it happens, I have a cache of weapons recently shipped in. Maybe you can inspect their quality."

"No need, Abyad. I've worked with you long enough to know you wouldn't cheat me. You do know the consequences for cheating me, right?"

"Of course, my lord. However, there is a slight problem."

"Oh? Spit it out."

"You see, getting shipment with war so near can get tough. I may have to charge a bit extra."

"Extra?"

"If you find it unreasonable, I'd be fine with the original price."

"No, I wouldn't do that. After all, there might be others that seek your service. What was our old price again?"

"It was twenty ducats for a crate of weapons."

"Ah yes, I will give you thirty ducats for a crate of weapons. How does that sound?"

"You are truly the holiest of all the saints, my lord. I will promise to get you the weapons you need before the war."

"Excellent! Deliver your cache to our usual place."

"Of course, my lord."

Godfrey and his guards walked down the street leaving Abyad still sitting in the alleyway. Abyad took a deep breath and continued on his way to his warehouse. He needed to get the weapons to Godfrey before the Christian decided to pay him another visit and that wouldn't be a good thing.

-few minutes later-

Godfrey's right hand man, Mathias, approached Godfrey from the back until he walked beside Godfrey.

"Is it wise to trust that snake?" asked Mathias.

"One can never trust a snake unless that snake negotiates in ducats. As long as we are willing to pay, he will cooperate," responded Godfrey.

"You seem to believe that he wouldn't betray us."

"Of course, I know his kind too well. They cannot resist greed and we feed them."

"Like a slight increase in payment."

"Yes, we keep them interested. Let's be honest here. They aren't stupid. We are offering them a carrot in one hand and a stick in the other."

"Won't they betray us if they get a higher bidder?"

"I'm glad that I picked you as my right hand. You are learning quickly. That's good."

"Knowing that, you are still willing to pay that snake?"

"I keep him under surveillance all the time. The moment he shows sign of betrayal, he will find a dagger through his gut."

"I see. Still, better keep him alive if he remains useful."

"Correct. Now, let's head to the barracks where we should be expecting our cache of weapon soon."

-an hour later-

Abyad rushed his assistant, Bishr, to hurry unloading the two crates. Earlier, Abyad ran to his warehouse only to find his assistant asleep on the job. After giving him a good kick, Abyad told Bishr to get the mule and cart ready. Meanwhile, he entered the warehouse where he checked up on his two crates of weapons. To be on the safe side, he opened both crates and examined the weapons carefully before closing them shut. When he heard the mule, he got his assistant to help him with the crates and headed straight for the barracks. They made their way to the barracks as quickly as they can with the crowds. When they arrived there, a guard pointed them to their destination and they entered the barracks with an escort. At the designated location, Bishr unloaded the two crates and left the barracks. Abyad stayed behind until Mathias left his quarters to meet him.

"So, heathen. These are the two crates of weapons you spoke of?" asked Mathias.

"Yes, crusader. Please inspect them," replied Abyas.

Mathias ordered two of his men to open the crate to inspect the weapons. Even though he was standing a fair distance away, Mathias saw that the weapons were indeed excellent quality. Where the snake got these weapons, he had no idea. However, the snake was getting them what they needed and he would pay up his part. Mathias called the clerk beside him who counted out sixty ducats in front of everyone and put them into a small pouch.

"Here," said Mathias, "You are dismissed."

Mathias threw the pouch and Abyad caught it with excitement.

"Thank you," muttered Abyad before he made his way out the barracks onto the street. Meanwhile, someone stood in the shadows watching the entire transaction.

Last edited:
Jerusalem

Chapter 20

[September 9, 1187]

(Jerusalem, Jerusalem)

Abyad and Bishr were delivering another batch of weapons and supplies to the barracks. During the delivery, Abyad kept looking behind him.

"Abyad, what's the matter?" asked Bishr.

"I think someone is following us," responded Abyad.

"Maybe your conscience is finally catching up to you."

"Don't give me that nonsense. You know you are as guilty as me."

"I guess you're right but I think you're also paranoid."

"You might be right. Working with Godfrey is stressful. It's like working with a snake with venomous fangs. He could strike at any moment and you're dead before you know it."

"Why do you work with him then?"

"The war makes living difficult in these parts. We have to make ducats somehow."

"I guess you're right. People like us want to come out ahead of everyone else."

Abyad was about to response when he noticed they were almost at the barracks. He and Bishr were nearly by the entrance when someone bumped into him.

"Watch it!" shouted Abyad.

As he turned around to push the cart, he felt pain in his abdomen. He looked down and saw a dagger stuck there. Following the initial shock, Abyad collapsed onto the ground and Bishr quickly rushed over to him. Bishr called for help and people gathered around them. Mattias and two soldiers were nearby when they heard the call for help. They shoved their way through the crowds until they found themselves towering over Abyad and Bishr. Mattias knelt down to check Abyad's pulse but he felt nothing. He didn't feel sorry for the snake's death but, with the war so near, he knew his side desperately needed weapons and supplies.

"He's dead, Bishr," said Mattias. "Come with me."

"Alright," replied Bishr, "let me get the cart to our destination."

When Bishr stood up, he realized that the cart was nowhere to be found. He looked around but the crowd was obstructing his view. He pushed through the crowd until he stood outside the crowd. He found the cart beside an alleyway but the crates that were on it disappeared. Mattias caught up to him.

"What's wrong?" asked Mattias.

"The cargo we were delivering has disappeared," replied Bishr.

"Looks like they weren't just after Abyad. They wanted weapons and supplies as well."

"Do you know who they are?"

"They are spies sent by Saladin. They are trying to sabotage our efforts in resisting."

"Will they come after me? Please, I'm too young to die."

"Considering that they haven't killed you yet, I'd say you aren't on their list yet."

"Please, let me go home. I don't want to die. I'm sure you can find other merchants."

"Well, I'm afraid I cannot let that happen. If you decided to quit, we will have to kill you."

"Please, there must be a way."

"Get the supplies and weapons we need delivered and you can leave the city a rich man. Otherwise, death awaits."

Mattias left Bishr out on the street. He would have felt sorry for the man had he been a Christian. Mattias didn't trust any Muslims and he wasn't going to show compassion to one. Still, he had to meet with Godfrey to deliver the bad news.

-one hour later-

"How did your mission go?" asked a man wearing a cloak.

"It went as expected," replied the soldier. "Abyad will trouble us no more. Godfrey will soon be crushed and Jerusalem will be ours."

"Excellent! I will bring the good news to our master."

The man in cloak disappeared into the shadow like a spirit. The soldier, spooked by the display, took a gulp of alcohol to calm his nerves. He then walked out the alleyway heading to the barracks.

-two hours later-

Godfrey and Mattias were wearing full-clad armor as they walked onto the courtyard of the barrack. The knights and men-at-arms were standing in the courtyard ready for orders. Earlier, Mattias told Godfrey of Abyad's death which didn't surprise Godfrey one bit. Godfrey claimed that his spies learned of a plot by another lord within Jerusalem. The lord, known to many as Lord Regis the Cruel, was a rival of Godfrey. They have been battling it out in Jerusalem for a few years and conflicts have arisen on many occasions between them. On this day, Jerusalem was split between them but neither men were content with the situation. Godfrey could no longer tolerate Regis after learning about him ridding Abyad and decided it was time to get rid his rival. After assembling all his men, Godfrey purposely leaked to his rival that they were preparing for a drill. With his men, Godfrey was actually aiming to head to the barrack under Regis where they will storm into the barrack and kill all those serving Regis. To be on the safe side, he ordered his men not to spare women and children. With the preparations ready, Godfrey ordered his men to move out for battle.

Last edited:
Jerusalem

Chapter 21

[September 16, 1187]

(Jerusalem, Jerusalem)

Patriarch Heraclius of Jerusalem and Godfrey saw hope after hearing about the arrival of Balian of Ibelin. They knew that the morale of the defenders were low following the major defeat by Guy when he ventured out against Saladin. Without a proper leader, Jerusalem would stand no chance in holding out against the likes of Saladin. Godfrey, as much as he hated to admit it, felt he wasn't up to the task. Both of them waited by the gates to welcome Balian and, hopefully, convince him of aiding them. Balian was a high ranking noble who had the title and prestige to gain the trust and loyalty of all the knights and men-at-arms in the city. With no chance of reinforcements, Balian was the only one who could lead the defenses. Heraclius and Godfrey waited an hour before Balian arrived at the gates. They welcomed him like a hero and began escorting him to his destination.

"Balian of Ibelin, this is Godfrey," said Heraclius. "He is the most senior knight in Jerusalem and has a lot of influence in the city."

"It's an honor to meet you," said Godfrey. "I hope your trip wasn't too terrible."

"My trip here was fine," replied Balian. "I'll be leaving shortly once I meet up with my wife and family."

"Please stay and take charge of the defenses," begged Heraclius.

"I'm afraid I cannot do that. I have given my word to Saladin," responded Balian.

"Saladin? He is a Muslim and cannot be trusted," raged Balian.

"Godfrey, contain your temper," warned Heraclius.

"How can I trust you? You fight amongst yourselves in Jerusalem for power. Do you think I didn't hear about your internal struggles with Regis?" countered Balian.

"I'm not surprised that you aren't well informed, Balian," replied Godfrey. "Regis was working with Saladin to undermine the defenses. Once Jerusalem falls to Saladin, Regis would be well rewarded for his efforts."

"I can vouch for him, Balian. I will admit that Godfrey may not have a great reputation but he is loyal to our cause. You couldn't find a more faithful Christian than this man. He would gladly throw away his life for Jerusalem if it meant he could save Jerusalem."

"I have given my word and I intend on keeping it," said Balian.

"Balian, have you forgotten your obligations as a Christian? Will you abandon these helpless people at their times of need?" asked Heraclius.

Balian had no response and lowered his head in shame.

"Balian, I'm a direct person so I won't go in circles," said Godfrey. "Jerusalem will be under siege in a few days. There are refugees that fled here hoping for protection. You have two options available to you. Your first option is leaving with your family and abandoning the inhabitants and refugees to the Muslims. If you do that, you will be seen as a coward and a traitor to all the Christians in the city. Your second option would be take charge of the defenses and, should we fall, be remembered as a hero in Jerusalem. For me, it's not a hard decision to make."

"Don't worry about your oath to Saladin," added Heraclius. "I can absolve your oath to him for your future contribution made for the sake of Christianity."

"Let me speak with my family first," said Balian. "Give me two hours to think about it."

-three hours later-

Godfrey headed back to the barracks after the meeting. When he arrived, he saw his men all waiting by the entrance. They all rose the moment they saw him and began peppering him with questions. He held up his hand demanding silence and everyone stopped talking. He walked into the courtyard where he sat down.

"How did it go?" asked Mattias. "Is he willing to take charge of the defenses?"

"I have good news and bad news. What do you want to hear first?" replied Godfrey.

"Let's hear the bad news then," said Mattias.

"The bad news is that our defenses are very weak. We don't even have a dozen knights at our disposal," said Godfrey.

"What's the good news then?" asked someone in the crowd.

"Balian agreed to fight with us," answered Godfrey, "and he will be creating sixty knights to help bolster our ranks."

"Where will he find sixty knights?" asked someone else in the crowd.

"He will be using squires and burgesses," replied Godfrey. "They may not be much but their presence will indeed help the morale."

"Forgive me for asking," said Mattias, "but did you regret killing Regis?"

"I don't regret killing that traitor," said Godfrey. "If anything, we are safer from within with him gone."

Godfrey ordered everyone else to head back to their compounds while he and Mattias walked up the stairs until they arrived on the roof.

"Why did you bring me here?" asked Mattias.

"I prefer not to say it in front of the men," replied Godfrey.

"Well, you can say it now."

"We will lose against Saladin. He vastly outnumber us and we can only hold out for so long."

"How long do you think we can hold out?"

"If I were to guess, I'd say that we will last two weeks at most. Sooner if I die."

"Are you suggesting that we flee the city?"

"You know me, Mattias. I would never turn my back on Jerusalem. This holy city is the last stronghold of Christianity. Elsewhere, people may claim they follow Catholicism but they would commit sins whenever they think they can get away with it. I was born a Catholic and intend on dying here for God."

"That's an incredible speech from you. I never thought you had it in you."

"All the bribes and bloodshed I ordered were for the sake of Jerusalem. However, we are getting off topic. I want you to leave."

"I cannot do that."

"Don't give me that trash. You have a family to take care of. Your children need a father and your wife needs a reliable husband."

"Why are you telling me to leave? Do you not trust me?"

"I trust you like you were my brother. That's why I cannot bear seeing you die when you have so much to live for."

"You can start a family too. Why don't you leave with me?"

"Jerusalem is the only thing left for me. If the city holds, I will start a family. Otherwise, I would perish with her."

Godfrey put a hand on Mattias' shoulder.

"Do this for your family. We cannot hope to win this. We lost the war the moment Guy decided to attack the enemy head on. Promise me that you and your family will start a new life elsewhere."

Mattias hesitated and tears rolled down his cheeks.

"Promise me, Mattias. This is important to me."

"I ... I promise, Godfrey."

"Good man. I will die knowing I make a trustworthy friend before death. Let's head back down. We must make final preparations before Saladin pays us a visit."

Jerusalem

Chapter 22

[September 23, 1187]

(Jerusalem, Jerusalem)

A group of Muslims were running through the alleyways sticking to the shadows. They didn't want to alert any civilians fearing discovery by the patrols. They arrived outside the main barracks that held most of the weapons for the defenders. A small number of men-at-arms were standing guard at the entrance but they weren't prepared for the ambush. The Muslims got into position and notched their arrows on their bows. Taking careful aim, they fired their arrows at the guards and those survived the barrage were crying out from pain. The ambushers came out of hiding and used their daggers to silence the guards forever. They pulled the guards into the courtyard and, as expected, the commotion made by the guards were ignored by the civilians. Since the siege has began, civilians learned better than to stick their noses in business involving soldiers. A few civilians were executed on accounts of being spies for Saladin for getting involved with the soldiers.

Once inside the courtyard, the Muslims worked quickly in gathering hay and other flammable materials. The gathered materials were placed both inside and outside the armory before everything was set afire. Once the Muslims were sure that the fire was raging out of control, they ran out the barrack into the alleyway where they made their way away from the raging flames. One patrol, having spotted the smoke, ran to the barrack where they noticed the fire that has already engulfed the entire barrack. They quickly called out to the other patrols to fight the fire but the situation only worsened by the minute. The wind was picking up and the fire was spreading to nearby buildings. In a few minutes, the fire was raging in nearby buildings and threatening to spread quickly elsewhere. Some of the civilians, with their properties being lit, joined in the fight against the fire. It took a few minutes before the civilians and soldiers were working side by side in putting out the fire that seemed destined to turn all of Jerusalem into ashes.

-half an hour later-

A soldier was dashing through the street until he arrived before the Damascus Gate. He ran up the stairs and took a slight breather on the top of the stairs. He searched everywhere before he caught sight of Balian and Godfrey. He arrived before them breathless and Balian realized from his urgency that something was wrong.

"What news do you bring?" asked Balian.

"There ... is ...... a fire ... at ... armory," replied the soldier.

Balian and Godfrey looked in the direction of the armory and they saw the dark smoke in the air.

"I must say that, from the smoke, the fire is getting out of control," said Godfrey. "I need to bring some soldiers with me before the fire spread further."

Balian nodded and Godfrey took with him two dozen men. They arrived at the scene where civilians and patrolling soldiers were working to put down the flames. Godfrey quickly directed his men to two directions to aid the firefighting. With the combined efforts of the civilians and soldiers, the fire was being contained in a sector. Just as the fire seemed like it would be put out soon, a complication would take place with the Muslims that started the fire. The Muslims hoped that the fire would spread quickly and throw the defenders into disarray. They waited in relatively close proximity to see the progress of the fire. Upon seeing the fire was being contained, they decided to sacrifice their lives for Allah by coming out of hiding. With their weapons drawn, they cut through the civilians and soldiers alike.

At first, no one noticed the killing amongst the chaos. Godfrey soon caught sight of a group of Muslims running through the crowds with weapons drawn. Knowing that those men were sabotaging the firefighting, Godfrey went into action to put a stop to their devious plan. Drawing his sword, he maneuvered his way through the crowds until he approached the first Muslim. He slashed at the Muslim who was too busy cutting other people down. The Muslim would be decapitated and Godfrey moved to his next target. He slashed through two more Muslims before the enemy realized that he was there. With three men left, the Muslims surrounded Godfrey hoping to take him out quickly. However, the smoke made visibility low and collision with the crowd made coordination between them difficult. Godfrey was an experienced fighter and targeted the Muslims one at a time. Facing against a ferocious enemy, the three remaining Muslims stood no chance and they were either dead or mortally wounded on the floor. Godfrey scanned his surroundings and, after confirming that no more enemies remained, returned back to firefighting.

It took another hour before the flames were completely put out. The damage from the fire was very serious and Godfrey ordered the soldiers to salvage what they could from the barrack. For the civilians unfortunate enough to have their properties burn down, they were crying on the streets for their losses. Godfrey didn't bother stopping to comfort them. He had more pressing matters with his men's armaments. The soldiers salvaged very little from the ashes and Godfrey knew the Muslims succeeded in their mission. The defenders already had a shortage of weapons and ammo which only got worse. The defenders needed ammo for their skirmishers to continuously pour fire onto the enemy. Once they ran out of ammo, there was no doubt that Saladin's army would meet less resistance. For close quarter battles, Saladin's men would have the advantage due to them outnumbering the defenders by a huge margin. Godfrey decided to take his men back to the city walls to report back to Balian. There was little he could do and he hoped Balian can think of a solution.

-half an hour later-

Balian turned around to see Godfrey covered in ashes.

"Is the fire out?" he asked.

"The fire is out," replied Godfrey, "but our armory is gone along with most of our weapons and ammo."

"I see. I should have posted more guards there," said Balian.

"You shouldn't blame yourself, Balian," replied Godfrey. "We are already short of men and you have done superbly in defending the walls so far."

"I don't need praises, Godfrey."

"These are not praises. I'm merely stating facts. Saladin has been throwing lots of men and siege weapons at us. We have been pushing back their assaults every time. They have suffered heavy casualties while we have minimal losses."

"The siege is far from over."

"If there is a chance for us to win, we must wither their numbers bit by bit."

"Let's hope that God will watch over us."

"If he decided our time is up, then we will die as heroes."

"You're right. We have proven ourselves in this battle. No matter what the outcome, we will let the Muslims remember the might of the Christians!" shouted Balian.

The defenders heard Balian's shout and their morale was boosted. They fought with new vigor and the attacker still have yet to make any progress.

Jerusalem

Chapter 23

[September 29, 1187]

(Jerusalem, Jerusalem)

Godfrey stood on the Damascus Gate directing the defenders when a messenger arrived behind him. He turned around and saw the messenger pointing to the walls facing the Mount of Olives.

"The defenders are about to be overwhelmed," was all the messenger said before Godfrey went to gather a small force.

Godfrey led the men to the breach and, to his dismay, the attackers made multiple breaches and were already pouring through. Saladin's forces have been pounding the walls with multiple siege weapons but the walls' collapse was mainly attributed to the Muslim tunnelers mining a portion of it. The remaining defenders were desperately trying to hold the breach but it was a losing battle. There were too many breaches and the defenders were too few in battle. Had Godfrey not arrive with his small force, the enemy would have likely already made it into the city. Godfrey didn't hesitate in giving his small force orders to engage the enemy infantry pouring through the breach. A gruesome engagement would take place at the breach and the odds were slowly shifting towards Saladin.

Half an hour passed and Godfrey's small force was dwindling in numbers. There were far too many Muslim soldiers pouring through and the defenders were being overwhelmed. It didn't take long before Godfrey was the only one alive. The Muslims surrounded him thinking that he would be an easy kill. Godfrey used the pause to call to the sky.

"God! Give me strength! Give me strength to hold off these Muslims and protect the last stronghold of Christianity!"

Just as he finished, the Muslim soldiers closed the distance for the kill. Godfrey, as though gaining superhuman strength, fought like a madman and slicing through the Muslims with ease. The Muslims soldiers replaced their fallen comrades but none of them could get close to Godfrey. For the next hour, Godfrey cut down all those who dared to oppose him. Bodies littered the street and Godfrey's armor was covered in blood. Sweat and blood was dripping down his face. Godfrey only paused long enough to wipe away the blood in his eyes before resuming the carnage.

After the first hour, Godfrey's body was slowing down due to fatigue. Muslim soldiers were able to get hits on him but he seemed unaffected. Being so focused in delivering the killing blow to his enemies, Godfrey appeared to no feel any pain. As the fight went on, the blood loss would have an impact on Godfrey. His limbs began to weaken and his vision was blurring. Still, he fought on for what he knew was a losing battle. No reinforcements arrived and he was the only thing standing between Saladin and the city. For the next few minutes, he fought on and more Muslim soldiers were slain.

Another minute passed and he has reached his limit. Even God seemed to have abandoned him with Godfrey no longer having the superhuman strength he was exhibiting earlier. The sky has darkened with the arrival of nightfall. With his last strength, he screamed out in frustration which was rumored to have shaken the entire city. The Muslim soldiers at the breach, upon hearing the scream, were frozen in place. Even after seeing Godfrey fall on his knees and, eventually, collapse face down, the soldiers were hesitant to enter the city fearing to fight against the warrior.

An hour later, Saladin's forces, upon hearing noise from the city, knew that enemy reinforcements were coming. Still fearing Godfrey, they chose to retreat back to camp and return next morning. Balian has led a small force onto the scene and he was saddened by the carnage he saw before him. There were more Muslim corpses in the area but Balian knew that the war was lost. There were no more men willing to join the fight against the Muslims even for an enormous fee. With the aid of a few torches, Balian found Godfrey's corpse among the dead. He ordered his men to pay their final respect to the crusader before he headed to the city center where he would meet Heraclius.

-an hour later-

"Balian," said Heraclius, "I heard about the demise of a great warrior."

"You must know why I'm here then," stated Balian.

"We thought we had a chance against the Muslims."

"In the end, we were simply overwhelmed. We had a chance."

"What about the refugee that escape here?"

"We cannot rely on the refugees. Even with an offer of large sum of ducats, they are unwilling to join the fight."

"Are they that shortsighted? Do they not know the consequences of defeat?"

"If they choose slavery, then I cannot help them."

"Slavery? You're saying they won't be massacred?"

"Saladin is a reasonable man. He will accept the surrender we refused before the siege."

"You cannot possibly believe that Muslim would agree. He has won the siege."

"The man forgave me for breaking my oath and got my family to safety."

"That was an act to encourage surrender earlier. With victory nearly at his grasp, he will massacre us all."

"Well, I will take an envoy with me tomorrow. If he accepts the surrender, then many will be saved. Otherwise, we will fight to the death."

"I guess we have no choice. I will get the envoy ready."

"You won't be joining me?"

"I'm not feeling too well. I will pass."

"Alright, see you in the morning," Balian said before returning to the walls the resume his command.

Jerusalem

Chapter 24

[November 12, 1187]

(Jerusalem, Ayyubids)

On October 2, the Christian defenders, led by Balian, has surrendered to Saladin. For the Franks of Crusader origin, their trouble has only just begun with the surrender. Saladin gave them forty days to pay off their ransom or face the prospect of being slaves. A large portion of these inhabitants were refugees with little to no possessions that escaped to the city. The ransom was a hefty price that many inhabitants couldn't hope to pay. Balian and Heraclius did their best in freeing inhabitants from their own pocket. Surprisingly, even Saladin and his brother offered to free some inhabitants. In the end, more inhabitants would leave Jerusalem had there not been the kindness from Balian, Heraclius and Saladin. These people would march to other places in hopes of finding a new home. Unfortunately, there were still many more that would be sold into slavery. Jerusalem returned to the Muslim and Saladin was victorious in his campaign in retaking the holy city. On November 12, he would make a visit to a man that had made a major contribution in undermining the defenders.

"Sultan," said a captain, "we have arrived."

Saladin got off his horse and found himself standing before a run down warehouse.

"This is where the man lives, Haitham?" asked Saladin.

"Yes, he lives a simple lifestyle. He even offered some of his saving to free some of the inhabitant," replied Haitham. "He is a model for many Muslims."

"I agree," said Saladin before he made his way through the doorway.

The interior of the warehouse wasn't much better than the exterior but Saladin was used to this kind of environment. He made his way to the desk where a man was reading some manuscripts. The man detected the presence of someone and looked up.

"Welcome," said the man, "how may I help you?"

Haitham appeared from behind Saladin and the man immediately recognized him.

"Badri, this is the great Saladin," said Haitham.

Badri was at a loss of words and quickly apologized to Saladin. He felt embarrassed that he didn't give the proper greeting to a man like Saladin. Saladin accepted the apology with a smile and ordered two soldiers to enter with a large chest.

"Badri, I have heard about your contributions," said Saladin "You have done Islam a great service. I have a chest here filled with ducats and other treasures. You are being rewarded for your contributions."

Badri was at a loss of words and, meanwhile, the soldiers opened the chest before him. Within the chest, large amounts of ducats filled up nearly to the top. A few valuable treasure were in there as well but what caught Badri's eyes were three pendants with eagles engraved on them.

"You have a good eye," said Haitham. "Those pendants are very well crafted and they date back to ancient Rome."

"We'll leave you with your new found wealth," said Saladin. "I'm glad I had a chance to meet someone like you. If we had more men like you, our nation would be unstoppable."

Saladin and his escorts left without a word. Badri saw them out the door before returning to his chest of valuables. He returned the pendants back into the chest before quickly closing the chest. He pushed the chest until he entered a small room in the warehouse. Checking through the doorway that no one was following him, he lifted a few floorboards until he revealed some stairs leading underground. He pushed the chest down the stairs until he got it sitting beside the other chests. He reached into his new chest to grab the pendants before making his way to the chest furthest from him. He opened that chest revealing many valuable treasures. He place the pendants carefully in the chest along with his other favorite treasures. Paranoid that someone might come across his secret, he returned back above ground and hid the stairway. He then went back to reading his manuscript. Unknown to Haitham, the manuscript contained many maps of the region. Badri was plotting a way to leave Jerusalem and start a new wealthy life elsewhere.

Meanwhile, Saladin and Haitham were making their way to the holy sites.

"I have trouble believing that this man was responsible for all those feats," said Saladin.

"I will admit that I was surprised at first as well. However, there are more than a few men that could confirm his contributions," replied Haitham.

"He was the one that ordered the execution of the black market merchant then?"

"The merchant's name was Abyad. Badri merely provided us with intelligence and our agents did the rest."

"This merchant was working for the Crusaders, right?"

"Yes, he would have supplied them with more weapons and supplies had he not been stopped."

"You also mentioned a fire."

"Badri was extremely resourceful in acquiring maps with the layouts of many buildings. He provided maps to a few agents of ours in the city. The agents were able to deal a major blow to the defenders by burning down their armory."

"I want Badri investigated."

"Sultan! He didn't conspire with the enemy."

"I don't believe in coincidences. This man is hiding something."

"I don't understand, sultan."

"I could understand how Badri knew about Abyad. How do you explain his acquisitions of the maps?"

"Well, ..."

"If he was an ordinary man, he couldn't possibly get those maps. It didn't help that he was reading through manuscripts containing the regional map."

"He is trying to leave the city?"

"He had no way of knowing that we would provide him the wealth beforehand. That means he has already accumulated a large amount of wealth prior to our meeting. I'm interested to know where his wealth came from."

"I understand, sultan. I will get to the bottom of this."

Nation 7 - Venice
Prologue 7

[February 15, 2001]

(Vancouver, Canada)

"Jessica," said Sam, "please return to the front desk."

Jessica knew it was a hopeless cause to argue with her grandfather and obeyed. Sam waited until Jessica was downstairs before taking Rick to a corner.

"What do you wish to know about the black market?" he asked.

"We've been doing some research and there was a mention of a man called Badri."

"Badri? I think I've read about him before."

"You have?"

"Yes, he is a cunning person. He milked ducats from both sides."

"How did he do that?"

"He first worked for the Crusaders. I believe the name he used was Bishr."

"Who did he work for?"

"I'm sure you heard of Godfrey."

"Of course I have. He defended a breach single-handedly. He was a hero to all Christians in the holy lands."

"He was a true warrior but I'm afraid there's a darker side of him."

"What might that be?"

"He was not above torture and bribes to get what he wants. There were very few documents supporting this claim but I believe we have reason to believe it."

"Not a saint after all."

"No. I think we should return to Badri or Bishr."

"He worked for Godfrey first. What made him betray the Christian?"

"Saladin was a sultan. He could pay more handsomely for his services."

"I'm assuming that he was working for both sides at one time."

"Yes, he knew that he could earn more the longer the conflict took place. When he realized that Godfrey would lose, he made sure to contribute in undermining the defenders of Jerusalem."

"Saladin must have seen him as extremely valuable."

"That's the irony. Saladin didn't trust him and suspect his dealings with Godfrey."

"Did he give orders to execute Badri?"

"He initially ordered an investigation but Badri disappeared."

"Disappeared?"

"It's as if he vanished from existence. However, I believe he already thought out a plan to leave Jerusalem and start a life elsewhere. With the wealth he rumored to have accumulated, he would be living like a sultan."

"This is a cunning character."

"How did his name come up on your search?"

"There are some treasures we hope to reclaim. We have reasons to believe that Badri was in possession of them."

"I understand. I'm afraid that I cannot help you further. Badri seems like a ghost of the past. No one knew what happened after his dealings with Saladin. For all we know, he could have moved to anywhere in the world with his wealth."

"I see. Thank you for you help, Sam. I will need to report my findings to my superiors. I'm assuming that I will be getting a new assignment soon."

"Before you go, I want to give you a warning. I've developed a sixth sense over my lifetime and I believe something big is going to happen. Keep an eye out and be careful."

"Alright, Sam. I'll keep that in mind. Goodbye."

[February 20, 2001]

(Istanbul, Turkey)

The driver sat behind the wheel examining the pendant. His phone and he picked it up.

"Head to Crete!"

The other side hanged up and the driver turned on the ignition. He began making his way to the airport.

AWixegD.png

Our seventh nation will be Venice. The starting date is May 7, 1364. Your people have rebelled against the Republic of Venice and you anticipated a Venetian army to strike your home. Your people have sent a delegation to Genoa requesting assistance but you haven't heard back from them yet. With the Venetian army arriving at any moment, your people feared that they lack to resources to fight against the enemy. You are one of the many children that got caught in the conflict. You don't know what is happening but you sense fear and helplessness from the adults. What fate await your young lives? Will you be cut down mercilessly? Will you be banished from the home you were born and raised in?

-name

Last edited: