• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Actually, I'm going to request that the minister of war work on raising a new forces, and that the interior minister take to the task of helping industrialize the nation. All would have been discussed already, in character.))

Great. Now the political system will break. Before, we had 4 minor parties who competed fairly. Now we have a mega-conglomerate against two minor parties. And now the Nacionales lead the coalition, and not the liberal-inclined status-quo conservative party.

Atleast now the far-right reactionary party won't be elected, but neither will the liberales.. so Chile has been partially saved by now.

Great. Now the political system will break. Before, we had 4 minor parties who competed fairly. Now we have a mega-conglomerate against two minor parties.

Atleast now the far-right reactionary party won't be elected, but neither will the liberales
((Well, just prior to this we really had 4 minor parties where 2 of them had no major reason to compete and not work as a de-facto mega conglomerate. Politics should hopefully push out some of the Conservadores and Nacionales into the side parties as those parties get more attractive and the centrist party gets less - you can't keep such a big tent party up forever without decent competition))

((We already have the capacity to raise new forces, just not the cold hard cash. I think Carerra's time as Minister of War this last term saw 8 divisions capable of recruiting, but none able to be built due to the budget issue.))

Mr. Zepeda, by your logic ("Now we have a mega-congolmerate against two minor parties"), the system was broken before the Nacionales and the Conservadores broke apart, and yet a Liberale won the election. Not only that, but the system we have now is essentially the same as the system we had during the next election (since only the hard-liners who formed the Partido Nacionale in the first place moved over to the Tradicionales), which may I remind you a Liberale (in fact, the very same Liberale from before) also won. Then, that very same Liberale attempted to break the system himself.

I hate to say it, but if there's anyone to blame for the breaking of the system, it's the Liberales. Had I not left the party prior to the attempted coup, I most certainly would've left after.

((We already have the capacity to raise new forces, just not the cold hard cash. I think Carerra's time as Minister of War this last term saw 8 divisions capable of recruiting, but none able to be built due to the budget issue.))

We actually have 14 brigades ready to be constituted.

( For the record, Thunderhawk when does the cabinet change take affect? As soon as you post the changes, or not until the next update? I tried PMing, but your inbox was full. )

( For the record, Thunderhawk when does the cabinet change take affect? As soon as you post the changes, or not until the next update? I tried PMing, but your inbox was full. )

We're currently in the lame duck period.

The cabinet change takes effect at 6:00 PM PST tomorrow when I post an update, but you can still state your policies and so forth as ministers now if you'd like. Also, I emptied my inbox.

"Congratulations President Roseno. I hope you will be as effective in the political office as you have been as a general. I hope I can continue to work together with you, as you have proven time and time again to be a truely great asset for Chile, which was proven during the uprisings against our democracy."

- Eduardo Emilio Romano, ex-President and Senator.

President Roseno, I humbly accept the honour of becoming your Foreign Minister.
I intend to steer us carefully through our time as a middle power by aligning us with those who have the ability and will to support our aims on this continent.
Currently we are allied with a relatively democratic bloc in South America, but eventually they are going to become divided as they are drawn into Europe's game of powers. Thus we should seek to align ourselves pre-emptively to the best strategical and economic outcome for Chile. If we can achieve this before our hostile neighbours we will have a significant advantage in future conflicts. At this stage I believe currying the favour of the French would be the best way to meet that end. I will also take a harsh stance on those neighbours that would not go to war on our behalf.

((At the moment our economy is fragile because we are tied to world market prices and being in a sphere -ideally not with the overproducing British - would provide us with some stability. We could also use an ally outside of South America because none of our present friends bring naval power to the table. Unfortunately the southern countries are generally ignored by the major powers unless encouraged otherwise. We should increase relations with the French in the hope that they sphere us and decrease our ties with all non-allied nations in South America so we can go to war at our convenience.))

-Senator José de Vallenare of Atacama

Last edited:
I humbly accept the position as Minister of War offered by the President.
I will work for the improvement of the Chilean Defence Force. I will attempt improvements wherever they would be needed.
We are still very much surrounded by enemies, and so we must always maintain constant vigilance.
However, we must also be aware that the best defence is a good offence. So, if we happen upon a chance to weaken our adversaries then I say we take it.

(("a chance" here being defined as allowed by CBs, infamy, alliances, whether or not GPs will intervene etcetera))

- General Jorge Alejandro Santandera

((Or we could, you k ow, just ignore the french and align with someone else, like Prussia or the US or even Russia.))

((France, UK and The Netherlands have a presence in South America and will seek to divide the nations into spheres of influence. Prussia and Russia have no presence on the continent and would be unable to protect us if we warred with a neighbour protected by the powers that do. The U.S. is a possibility, but they are unlikely to expend influence until they dominate the North. We need a strong ally in the short term and I choose to gamble on the French. They usually get Brazil and we don't want to be on the other side of that team...))

"I trust that the government will do its best to support the common people. There is no reason to be expanding the largest army in South America yet further if it requires yet more labourers and peasants to starve. Santandera, the only wars that we need are those directed against Argentinia, and even then only until Patagonia has been returned to us. But whilst Chile is reclaimed, we must not lose sight of the nearer objectives. We need to support industry, not only to provide employment to the poor, but also to reduce the prices in shops. If we are able to produce what we need, then we do not have to import it at increased prices."

Anselmo Galante
Senator for Valparaiso

Señor Galante,
The President determines which resources are alotted for what purpose. I am a military man, and therefore I leave the economics side to others.
I never did state that it was currently necessary to expand the Chilean army, simply that there exists a potential for improvement.

- General Jorge Alejandro Santandera

General Santandera,

This is exactly what i feared and campaigned on. I will wait to see what our new Presidente implements but while I am Pro Military I fear for the people of Chile will pay economically for the Presidents desire to unnecassarilt grow our military. I fear that by electing a Genertal, even one as esteemed as General Roseno, we have put our country at peril.

Economic power will allow Chile to grow.

"Senators, please. The military will be readily expanded, but with paid volunteers. Until we can get Chile's industry up and running, people need jobs, and that's what I'm offering. A draft is only to be instituted in times of dire need."

-Presidente Cesar Roseno

"Senators, please. The military will be readily expanded, but with paid volunteers. Until we can get Chile's industry up and running, people need jobs, and that's what I'm offering. A draft is only to be instituted in times of dire need."

-Presidente Cesar Roseno

Mr President I suggest an expansion of our current factories rather than creation of new ones.

I support an expanded military, as many of us, but only if it's affordable.