• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
France is clearly dead. What it is yet to be seen is how much of the carcass you will get.

Who dares ...

... sometimes wins. If it pays off, it is a great move.

Still mucking about in France, I see. Well, tis natural, I suppose. However, were I you, I'd be putting all my might into figuring out how to take Genoa down and care for that lovely CoT yourself. Perhaps you should keep making friends with that strange man from the east. An alliance with the GH might be just the thing you need to deal with those pesky Black Sea territories. ;)

Yes, finally some fighting! :) I hope you kick those French out of their own country.
Just got to ask to see if I got it right; England and Aragon are at war with France again, because France is allied with Lorraine and Burgundy with England/Aragon? So you're at war with France and Auvergne, but still not allied with England since you have an alliance with Austria? *head spins* Medieval politics... well let me just wish you good luck in the war!

So expanding by force in France and by diplomatic means in Italy?

The old "whip and carrot" approach to politics. Now to see which one fruits you more results. :D

SunZyl: I certainly hope so.

Saulta: O...kay. :D

Chief Ragusa: As shown in the update, Auvergne changed their minds and instead chose to remain where they were.

Fulcrumvale: Not neccesarily. France by this time has big armies and good leaders.

Duke of Wellington: It wasn't really a planned war. I just realised that France could not attack me with their really big armies as Burgundy was in the way. Then of course Burgundy go and declare war on Lorraine...

stnylan: It would be good, yes, to remove France from the south.

coz1: First I need to see if they can diplo-vassalised. ;)

Katapraktoi: Okay, the alliances:

First, my alliance (Savoy, Austria, Baden, Bavaria, Milan and Mantua) attack the French alliance (Auvergne, France, Provence, Bourbonnais, Scotland and Lorraine). Then, later in the month, Burgundy declared war on Lorraine, bringing their allies England, Aragon and Helvetia.

Fnuco: Oh I think there may be some force in Italy yet. :D

CSK: Italy is richer, so it is my priority for expansion. Weakening France will just help me dominate Italy (hopefully)

Savoy Truffle

Blackbird

From "A History of Savoy" by J. P. Lerrier

The early period of the war lacked any really significant battles. Upon arriving at Montpellier the Savoyard army led by Duke Louis was set upon by a small French force which was easily crushed, that being about it. Duke Bertrand of Auvergne considered an attempt to lift the siege of Aurillac, but in the end decided against it, based on his knowledge of his own terrain and it's defensiveness. Instead, he decided to wait and to defend Clermont-Ferrand, allowing Savoy to continue the siege in peace.

svy31.png
The difficult terrain of southern France (courtesy of Cezanne)​

Meanwhile in the north, the French king faced war on various fronts. Charles VII, known as le Bien-Serv (the well served), had during his reign drastically improved the French army, both in terms of doctrine, equipment and especially leadership, but his conduct of this particular war is considered by many historians to have been surprisingly poor, some would even say baffling. Apparently he believed invading the Burgundian Netherlands with a massive army would be enough to make Phillip the Bold see sense, and make peace. Charles was wrong, and while his invasion was reasonably successful large numbers of troops died from starvation, as the army was simply too big to support itself. Meanwhile, Savoy was given a free hand in the south, Duke Louis occupying Montpellier in January 1441.

svy32.png

Upon entering the city, Louis recieved news that 6,000 new infantry troops from the peasantry of Savoy were ready for combat, used as he was unable to afford a company of mercenaries. He knew that his current army was not enough to dislodge the large Auvergnais force defending Clermont Ferrand, and hoped that he could force a victory through sheer superiority of numbers by bringing these new conscripts into his own army.

February 26th 1441
Savoyard Army Encampment, Near Issoire

Roberto d'Aosta was not normally a cowardly man. He was a professional soldier, a veteran of various campaigns in Europe, a knight and a gentlemen, who showed no fear in the face of adversary. He had seen madness in men's eyes as he hacked the life out of them, he had seen the fear, the terror, the raw fury of battle, and not once had he flinched or recoiled from his duties.

But now he was terrified, covered in sweat, as the dim glow of the moon cast shadows on the cold, hard ground, waking from some already forgotten nightmare. He cursed at himself, and lay back down, but found that all the sleepiness had gone out of him. Everyone around him lay asleep, and it was deathly silent, the sky dark and the shadows eerie. Roberto sighed, and wiped his eyes. He knew that this army, Duke Louis's army, was within a day's march of Clermont-Ferrand, and there would likely be a battle tomorrow, and so he was desperate to get back to sleep, to get as much replenishment as possible before going into battle.

But it was not to be. He heaved himself up, and as he quietly crept through the camp he took deep breaths of the fresh night air. He relished the silence, but...it was not silent. Wandering not far from camp, he came across a still copse of trees and chanced upon a blackbird, sitting on the branch of a tree, regarding him without any kind of fear. The sight of the small, beautiful little bird in it's own tranquil little world stirred Roberto's poetic imagination, and he could not help but marvel.

Tomorrow, though, this tranquility would be brutally shattered, and the blood of men would soak the ground.

svy26.png

The Battle of Issoire (Auvergne province)

Last edited:
Going well so far, but I notice the tension you are raising in this last portion. Is this a foreshadowing of bad tidings...or simply a nasty cliffhanger? ;)

Yes, that is a rather suggestive cliffhanger. A nice portrayal of pre-battle nerves however.

Well, good luck. You had one lucky break with the moronic activities of the French AI, but their vassals are still forces to be reckoned with.

SunZyl said:
Blackbird, blackbird... That's a bird, me thinks.

Nice writing, the odds seems to be on your side in the battle to come.

Except that it's the 26th of february and he faces an attriation rate of 15.
I've been defeated many times, when I didn't time my attack well enough, and ended up in the province a few days before the month ends, allowing attriation to hit me hard and bad.

-TGD

Let's hope your cavalry can do some serious damage, but as the others say, that attrition is going to massacre your army. :( If your army would just have the morale needed to be the ones who stay on the battlefield.

PS
Thanks for the explanation btw, now I understand fully the alliances. ;)

There is no such thing as running out of Beatles titles. If (and when) Fiftypence runs out of official titles, he need only PM me and I will send him some bootleg titles to help. Besides, there's the solo work to be considered (coz1 says as he listens to Paul's Press to Play.) ;)

However, going with the Stones surely means this work could run forever. :D