• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Damn, I had tears in my eyes after this update, even though I could see it comming....
Mighty fine writing as always.
Now back to the vipers nest that is Byzantyne politics....
I wonder what happened in Alexandria and Constantinople during the campaign in the Hejaz.

Same here.
Excellent writing again BT.

That was a touching update!

It brought back the memories of little Thomas when he was still the shy kid who feared and loved his dad at the same time. Who early on lost his brother in the most tragic fashion imagineable. Who was a really nice guy until he... lost it... I had almost forgotten that this Thomas had ever existed. :eek:o But now I clearly remember it again. Thank you for a marvelous update, BT!!

And the King did lead the army into the lands of the Ammonites and the Moabites, of the Amorites and the Gilead, and the Lord granted him victory.

---

Dune has a nice soundtrack. Very fitting with the update. Farewell, little boots!

--

Gabriel won't be grinning for long. Call that a hunch.

---

Thirteen and a half oranges!

---

Ας είναι ελαφρύ το χώµα της γης που την σκεπάζει, ο Θεός ας αναπαύσει την η ψυχή της. Αιωνία της η μνήμη.

Once again BT, that update was just.....well. I can't even describe it. It was so touching that like many others on here, I had tears in my eyes at the end. Very few works of fiction these days can bring me to tears.

Originally when we started Thomas II's reign, I was hoping for a stark raving mad lunatic that gradually burnt the Empire down in his tracks. Even the ending wasn't the end of a mad man that I expected. However, it was something else entirely. You've been able to weave Thomas II into not a hated or feared character but actually a tragic figure. A man battling with not just schizophrenia but having to run and maintain an empire.

I'm glad Thomas was able to find peace in the end and in an afterlife (or his own subconscious) was able to make peace with his father.

So I say kudos and brilliant writing on that front.

Anyway, I am beginning to become a bit of a Gabriel hater. Whilst he has been generous to the Muslims and been a good leader in battle, I find he's very arrogant and over confident. I find he's also got a smug way about him. Unlike Demetrios, Basil or even Thomas, Gabriel thinks too highly of himself I feel.

It should be interesting what does happen as time goes on. As for Georgios, well, I felt he was the loyalest friend to Thomas deep down. Even Albrecht I feel was turning against him a bit where as Georgios was by his side to the end.

However, I do wonder why Gabriel never bothered to spend the last days with his father? Was it out of not being upset and trying to concentrate on other things to keep his mind off it? Or was it generally down he didn't feel obliged to go and see him? I do wonder.

And lastly, as for ranking Thomas II's reign, I would go as far to say that he was a better emperor then his father and did manage to hold it together but could have done better under the circumstances. He did, after all, allow it to fall into a huge civil war (Manuel would have made sure Andreas was well dead by this point) let alone his failed charge at Neapolis.

I think a good moniker would be 'The Mad' (in regards to burning and lemon juice).

Btw, isn't the date 1239, not 1238? Also, it'll be cool sometime for you to do an update on current generations. That'll be fun to see.

Update soon!

O

I think a good moniker would be 'The Mad' (in regards to burning and lemon juice).

Update soon!

I would rather have him as Thomas the Seer (of Voices). Madness was, in this obscurantist day and age, seen as a bridge between the visible real world and the invisible world of spirits, angels and demons, to be both a blessing and a curse. One could either be thought of as being possessed by the devil, or inspired by divine light, it all depended on circumstance.

Page 76, so I just found out that Rodrigo got a bastard with Sophie. Really enjoying the story and the intrigue.

Oh, and just so you know, the Arachnoi was the best king so far for me. I just loved how deliciously evil he was. Hope there will be some characters like him in the future. Next post after I'll catch up with everyone else.

Vesimir - I think everyone on some level loved Manuel... either they outright loved him for his deviousness, or they loved to hate him for it. I still remember him fondly. Yes, there's at least one emperor coming up that will remind you strongly of Manuel... with perhaps fewer flaws (or different ones:) )

Leviathan07 - Yoink! *looks around to see if anyone sees me stealing Leviathan's idea* :)

That was my goal with this update--we've been with Thomas as titular Emperor for almost a year, and even I had almost forgotten that previous Thomas--the scared little boy. The scared little boy grew up into a scared, insane man, so it seemed fit that in his final moments, at peace at last, the last of his fears (fear of not being loved from his father) faded away...

Laur - Double Yoink! *Hides Laur's idea alongside Leviathan's further down in the post*

Ksim3000 - I think there's quite a bit of Gabriel-resentment going around, mostly because, to be blunt, Gabriel's kind of an ass. He's a very capable, very smart, very cunning ass, but he's still an ass (a prat, as they would say in the UK?). As for why he didn't spend time with his father, there's a multitude of reasons. He never really got attached to his father (in his formative years, Thomas was bat-shit crazy already), his father was always a thing on a boat out in the harbor, not someone who played with him, etc. Second, Gabriel's just a self-centered prat--he's Emperor now (in self declaration), and he's too busy being Emperor to bother himself with going to see the old, powerless Emperor who is suddenly irrelevant.

RGB - Children of Dune has one of the best soundtracks I've heard, and it's all been so fitting for this era in the story! 'Little Boots' is indeed gone, there's even a reign summary. :) He goes out a great conqueror, but little else...

Mcy1000 - For a big time warrior, conqueror and in general starter-of-bloodbaths like Thomas, a quiet, peaceful ending with no voices, no insanity, and no screaming, seemed appropriately ironic, as well as fitting. :)

Llywelyn - Thomas definitely wasn't Pious enough for that moniker (no yoink), and besides, that goes to someone down the line if I remember right. As for Alexandria, something tells me people forgot to bring towels... and no diving! :)

Qorten - I was definitely trying for an emotional touch to this update, but I honestly had no idea it'd draw tears. I personally find that touching, and an immense compliment that people could connect with this insane guy. Maybe it connected so much because we all have a scared little boy (or little girl, as may be) inside of each of us? (Or we're all insane, but that's not as Hallmark card a thing to say. :) )

Clydwich - But things are far beyond just the viper's nest of Konstantinopolis now. You've got a whole array of possible political vipers--Italian ones, Egyptian ones, Syrian ones, Anatolian ones, Balkan ones, Persian ones, Spanish ones... :)

Kirsch27 - The army will definitely miss him. The church is likely going to miss him too, even though they don't like him...

Fulcrumvale - You all have seen six die. As for the Western Empire, I'm going to take a timeout and do an interim post updating everyone on the world on the death of Thomas II, which will include some descriptions of both the Western Empire and its new ruler you all will learn about and grow to love (or hate). :)

The_Archduke - That's a brief yet accurate summation of Thomas... he wasn't that good, but he did what he had to do. My version below is much much longer though...

humancalculator - Indeed. Thomas II has been Emperor for 36 years, and held outright power for 30 of them. There has been an entire generation that grew up knowing no one else on the throne but him. Only the Megas really compares in turn of regnal longevity (Manuel held the throne for 28 years, Basil for 20, Thomas I for 13, and Nikolaios for 7). Now he's gone? For many common people, it'll be the biggest crisis they've seen!

Servius Magnus - Gabriel has to get back to Konstantinopolis and secure power first. As for your Thomas, wouldn't it be deliciously ironic if he was a quiet, peaceful man who abhorred war? That would make me laugh! :)

My personal thoughts: Thomas was likely the hardest character I've ever had to write, anywhere, and for me, it's also kind of a moment of goodbye as well. While he hasn't been the main focus of the story for the past year (his first few years were overshadowed by Christina, the last few months by the new generation), he's always been in the background, the Power That Is, the Emperor. Things have finally been completely handed off to the new generation--let's see what they can do with it!

Without further ado, Thomas II's reign summary!

The Reign of Thomas II, in Summation:
thomasiisummarycopy.jpg

Pros: Conquered huge swaths of territory in his long reign, more than the Megas or the Megaloprepis, almost as much as the two of them combined. Utterly adored by the army for leading it to victory after victory except for one major defeat (Neapolis). Held off the Mongol horde, despite losing to them in the field. Managed to hold the Empire together through two civil wars.

Cons: Utterly insane by the end of his reign. No friend of the church or the dynatoi—resentment of the latter directly fueled the civil war from 1216-1220. Conqueror, but not empire builder—reconquered Italy and conquered lands of Near East not melded with ‘Old Empire’ very well. Poor at everything else other than command, very fortunate to have capable lieutenants to manage those affairs in his stead. Lavish care and power emplaced in the army would continue to pose challenges for future Emperors, while neglect in properly pruning the power of the nobility (as opposed to random star chambers and executions) only inspired anger and resentment amongst the dynatoi. Lost Roman Cherson and lands across the Black Sea to the Mongols.

Bottom line: Thomas II is perhaps the most complicated reign of any of the Emperors during the Fifth Empire. He conquered vast swaths of land, and alongside the Megas and [iMegaloprepis[/i], helped set the final shape of this new Roman world into place. Without a doubt, one could include him as one of the best Roman commanders of the medieval period. However, all of these accomplishments were marred by a lackadaisical administration of the nobility, who gained immense autonomy and power during his reign. The aftermath of the 1216 Civil War also left much to be desired—the Empire was reunited, but cadet branches of the Imperial family quickly filled all the holes left by the nobility. The dynatoi of old were destroyed in 1220—in their place rose a dynatoi made of House Komnenos, an even greater nest of vipers than before as almost all had some claim on the Imperial throne.

During his time, he was known as Thomas Angeloakroatos (the Angel-hearer) on account of the voices he heard in his head (as the voices were most often seen by others when he was in the thick of battle, and he usually won, they were regarded by the army at least as good). However, after the rise of House Edessa in the mid 13th century, chroniclers begin to take a negative view on him, labeling him Thomas Trelos (the Mad). During the Roman ‘revivalist’ age in the academy during the 18th and 19th centuries, historians lavished on Thomas’ martial aspects, and he became known as Thomas Nikitis (the Conqueror).

In light of more thorough scholarship in the 20th and 21st century, all of these assessments are accurate, in some way. Thomas was a formidable warrior with deep psychological problems who was, to be blunt, incapable at administration. At the same time that he created the second ‘Roman world,’ he also broke the back of the old Empire. His conquest of Mecca especially, would eventually give rise to forces beyond his comprehension, helping to spin things out of control in the 14th century…

Just read the death of Thomas I incidentally, very different ways to go. But good to see that he had some peace before he went. Though as for whether that was the after life or his subconcious, it probably wasn't the former, his father did kill a sitting pope after all.

A truly mixed legacy :p

But he smote the Moabites and the Amorites and cast down the princes of Gilead, and that counts :p

He is :D his father Nikephoros was the warrior emperor, had to make him live up to his name. I saw the shape of your empire and needed to make a copy of it. Its a perfect copy of yours except for a little more of persia and i retained my black sea territories. This Thomas actually led the roman crusader state in spain. My other game which this game is a branch off of from an ealier save, is the roman empire re-united And is about to be usher into the reign of Petros the first.

Currently on page 123 of your excellent AAR. The way story and gameplay are combined is truly marvelous. Small downside is that it shows me that I have a lot to learn writing AARs. It even convinced me to start playing Crusader Kings myself :D.

Keep up the good work!

FlyingDutchie! - CK is such a wonderful game for AAR writing--you're practically handed the characters, and they are often so crazy, zany, odd, or weird, that you can't help but want to write a story about them! Who has your favorite character been so far?

Carach - Thomas the Multifaceted? I somehow forsee many graduate theses on Thomas in this timeline's 20th century...

Servius Magnus - Now the big question is... did you give into the feudalism temptation like I did?

The_Archduke - Conqueror was the appenage I had for him originally... it just means that great minds think alike! :)

RGB - Thomas smote a little of everyone, it seems!

von Sachsen - Something tells me that it was Thomas' subconscious too... killing the Pope doesn't tend to get you into the afterlife...

Well, I'd like to take a moment and tell everyone we're officially halfway through the CK portion of the story (woohoo!). So, to give my mind a little break, and fill you all in on the rest of the world, over the course of the next week or two we'll be doing a world summary! I'm still typing up the first indepth section (Which will be covering France, Spain and the British Isles), but to hold you all over, here's the map of the CK world at the time of Thomas II's death:

europ1238.jpg

FlyingDutchie! - CK is such a wonderful game for AAR writing--you're practically handed the characters, and they are often so crazy, zany, odd, or weird, that you can't help but want to write a story about them! Who has your favorite character been so far?

I agree that writing a CK AAR could be heasier as far as characters are concerned, with HoI2 (my AAR) you're always bound by history, since everyone knows your main characters (didn't stop me from using Ciano, Balbo or d'Aosta in blatant ahistorical roles though:D).

As for my favourite character, thats a hard question. I enjoyed the scheming of Nikolaos, Manuel (I?), Drogo II and Mehtar. I loved the Megos and even psychotic Thomas had his appeal. But if pressed to pick one I would go with Basil III (the ideal ruler).

Last edited:
Well BT, after reading the conquests of Thomas II, I must say, at first I was confused by how much he truly had taken. I always felt Basil and Demetrios were indeed leagues ahead. However, after truly looking at that map and comparing, Thomas literally conquered far more than they could ever imagine!

We could debate Thomas I invaded Italy although in all fairness, he did lose it to civil war. Thomas II brought it back under the imperial fold and whilst Bardas remains a controversial figure, for now, Italy still adheres to Constantinople and that is what counts.

I do feel, looking through the evidence, we can class Thomas II as "the Conqueror" in all fairness. Would you say that the most character to have such a large impact was Thomas II on world history? After all, not only did his reign extend the empire to such a large extent but also he pretty much conquered Islam and helped to kick start the Aionite religion....

As for how you portrayed Thomas II, well in all fairness, I felt you did the best you could. Looking back, I initially was hoping for a bat shit emperor but it must have been very hard to write about "insanity" in a realistic fairness. We could all hope for a guy running down corridors naked and screaming the word of God but all in all, I felt you did Thomas II the best. You created a somewhat mysterious yet crazed individual. Someone always sat back whilst others took the limelight yet had the ultimate power....

In regards to Gabriel, yes, in the UK, we would refer to him as a "prat", basically yes. Still, we will see on how Gabriel handles the challenges ahead and what role he is to play in all of this madness. I feel though probably Thomas II respected Gabriel more so then his other sons. After all, he was THE warrior son, not the architect or the jealous one.

As for the map, Jesus christ BT, Scotland really HAS enlarged itself! I can say the French have pretty much let England rot. But expanding into Wales AND Ireland....well! Scotland certainly has done itself proud this time round. I think in this time line's 21st century, it'll be the English that'll be whining for independence, not the Scots!

Speaking of which, looks like Derbyshire just falls under the realm of French England. Yorkshire and Lancashire look doomed, however...