• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Why today in fact! I aim for every other day around 11am PST. Behold Two Sicilies as a Great Power!

Part 5
Yayy, I love how often you update, it's fantastic. Take the Sinai region from eygpt and than no one will want to sphere them and you can them over that much more easily cause no one will get involved, plus it will give you some cotton, and if can take over Sulawesi from the Dutch, than you can have a good fabric factory. (Sualawesi has dyes and coal i belive which is also good for a glass factory, it also has oil in futre)

Last edited:
I did end up taking the Sinai but for a much different reason. The Canal! I just want to build it.

That's the free bouns. What do you think of taking some of the Dutch colonies though- mainly Sumatra or Sulawesi, I think it would give you a good base to colonise the rest of Borneo- which is full of oil and rubber, espically if you take the uncolonised part of breuni and the country breuni too

Certainly not against it. I honestly hadn't thought about invading southeast Asia but sure why not!

I'm a bit behind with the video watching so started watching from part 3 today, I can see what Jacobi means about reforms being very easy to get with Sicily! Just a few points:

Part 3:
I don't think you quite get the point of the election events. When they pop up asking you if you want residency, limited or full citizenship for instance, you don't just pick the one you want.These events are very useful if you want to swing the election results from a party who support one rather than the other. If the Reactionaries with residency are just ahead of the Conservatives with Limited Citizenship, you can keep choosing Limited Citizenship and other policies that favour Conservative rather than Reactionary (e.g. Interventionism vs State Capitalism) and that could push the Conservatives into the lead just in time for the election. Even if it doesn't, just call another election and do that again and again until you get the party you want :)

Part 4:
1. The reason you can't build factories any more is that the Conservatives won that election and they are interventionist, this government policy doesn't allow you to do so. Previously it was the Reactionaries who were in power and they are state capitalist. You can increase funding and upgrade them though.
2. Taxes - you don't want them on max for a prolonged period - raises militancy, although perhaps that is why you are getting a lot of reform opportunities. Surprised you didn't have any jacobin revolutions during the 1848 Liberal revolts!
3. Especially if you are interventionist, you want rich taxes to be very low - about 7% or less, otherwise they can't build any more factories.

Part 5:
1. If rich taxes are low and you are interventionist, they will build rail-roads for you, don't waste money on it!
2. As you rightly said, only influence one or two places at a time, especially if you are a new Great Power! Also, if you are competing and at friendly, may be an idea to put all your influence in that place and take it off the others to get to 100% quicker.
3. ca. 3.54 - you should have chosen moralism if you wanted to favour the Conservatives. Pluralism helps the Liberals (you can see what each party supports on the right). These are things you want to bear in mind, especially as you don't want Liberal parties at the beginning. They are Laissez-Faire too so you cannot then stop them closing unprofitable factories. They can often lose you GP status too. I always call an immediate election again if Liberals take over.
4. you probably want to research industry techs before commerce techs, the latter should be done last really.
5. 15.00 - you can just remain on the fence if you want in a crisis, you don't have to join either side.
6. Army techs - probably best to research Army Professionalism first, gives you better generals. You want good generals even with lesser tech armies rather than the other way round.

Sorry, this post is a bit rambling but I hope it is useful.

Hey actually you are right I hadn't thought about that at all for using the election events to go for the party I want instead of just the mindset I want. I will definitely think about that.

Yeah I know about taxes leading to militancy which is part of why I was keeping it high.

I will probably grab Army Professionalism as my next tech. The engineers are useful I find.

All in all thanks for all these suggestions. As said before I have a few episodes waiting to be uploaded but I will keep all this in mind for later stuff. By all means keep replying here or on youtube.

I'm a bit behind with the video watching so started watching from part 3 today, I can see what Jacobi means about reforms being very easy to get with Sicily!
Yeah lol, I once as I said all political reforms and I think universal voting and 2 school and 1 health care reforms by about 1848 and a really early csa happened and basicly all of Europe was at war while I was neutral, by the end of both wars I had like 500 k people come in to my country and they spread into Tunis and tripoli and Libya and I had like 2 % Italians thier and all of sudden at 1850 I had 15-20% and had states in Africa which boosted my industry. It was really good game.

Sorry accidental double post

Do you have any idea why Sicily is so easy compared to others with regards to reforms? Is there any way you can replicate that in, say, Sardina-Piedmont?

I have done similar but you need to get many liberals and beacuse thier absoulute monarchy thier are a lot of liberal advents but thier not to high literate which is perfect to gain consciousness (I think), Italian states are just perfect for early reforms, all of them! I did basicly the same as described above with Sardinia today expect only 1 education reform beacuse my army was to small but passed very- I mean every political reform by 1852 I also think miltancy of conquered areas help, I took west swirzerland and they were very militant which made all party's vote for reforms

So is it really an advantage to pass reforms that quickly? I have tended to try to hold back on them - reason being that if you want to go to war, you get all sorts of disadvantages with the political reforms like longer CB justifications, more discovery risk, etc, etc.

I don't think that is true, it doesn't say when ur passing the reform so I'm not sure, in fact most of my wars got detected really late today, lol, it's just chance though + if you become a democracy ( An actual democracy not a HM's Goverment, this will have to happen from jacobins) you won't have people leaving that much (especially in the late game when it happens most) because they can vote FREELY and all that jibber jabber (HM'S goverment will make less people leave and you might get a few from European wars) + u might get some of those end game and early game immigrants if you pass a lot of reforms easy and are able to become a democracy! (FYI its impossible as a monarchy to pass reforms to become a democracy, it can only happen if your a dictatorship) if you become a democracy you'll never get as many as USA and all of them but you'll get free population so that's a free bonus

Last edited:
The press reforms makes it more likely to be detected when creating a Casus-Belli. So you have to balance with the other advantages.
I guess the bigger prizes are the social reforms healthcare and education. Early healthcare will give you better pop growth from the beginning which will amount as a huge population bonus by end game and population is power in Vic2.
Education is useful because you'll have to educate your conquests, when you'll form Italy and then take the austrian provinces you have cores on, expect them to be much less educated than your own which means your literacy rate will drop significantly after each of these conquests. Education reforms helps a lot then.

I didn't know press did that, that makes sense

This game has so many little complex details like that. Well live and learn! Also look more invasions of Africa. That never goes badly for Italians. So we invade Egypt.

Part 6

Very nice episode, very entertaining.

With regards to voting reform, I only do it very slowly, I try to keep landed as long as I can - basically makes it easier to keep the conservatives in charge.

Engineers - nice unit, I limit mine to one per stack though as more is a waste.

Question to Jacobi or anyone else who knows - is there any point in encouraging bureaucrats in the colonies? I didn't think it made much difference. Clergy yes because of the militancy reduction.

Clergy also raises literacy which is also important to assimilation. Their is only point to encouraging bureaucrats if Their is some Italians living Their and if you have 1% of accepted bureaucrats the colony will become a state. Non accepted pops CAN NOT become bureaucrats.
The perfect stack has 3 hussars 2 engineers 3 artillery and around 7 infantry that way it gives full value to siege and recon and all the rest of it.
Great work, every one by now knows that Italian Africa is the best Africa

Yeah I am aware about that it has to be your own culture that turns into Bureaucrats but the number seems to slowly be building so I have kept it at that for now. Plus I don't know what else to do with right now but mostly the clergy to 4% is for the literacy gain.

...Their is only point to encouraging bureaucrats if Their is some Italians living Their and if you have 1% of accepted bureaucrats the colony will become a state. Non accepted pops CAN NOT become bureaucrats...

That is what I thought, thank you.

The perfect stack has 3 hussars 2 engineers 3 artillery and around 7 infantry that way it gives full value to siege and recon and all the rest of it.

Why two engineers? I thought one would be enough to do all the work for one stack?

My stacks have typically been something like - 2 horse (preferably 1 hussar and one dragoon) - 6 regulars, 5 mobile artilliery (prefer speed to max effectiveness) and 1 engineer. I have found them to work quite well, but do you think this is wrong?

2 engineers increases the siege value and helps massively- are you playing POD or vanilla HOD.
You could incourage imigration to colonies areas, it mainly affects internal immigration so it's gonna help to get that % of South Italians up.
Make sure you take all the coast first from eygpt and get national and Imperilism. When you border Ethiopia take them over, they have great population and good rescources like coffee and border high life rating areas. And those areas have cotton and tea and coffe and good population. Dongola in eygpt borders drafur, drafur has a life rating of 35 that means any secondary power at the start of the game could colonise that.

Last edited: