Representation of the Institution of Slavery

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Slaves would be useful only for producing goods but since they can’t be taxed (as confirmed in one of the last DD) they are less directly useful for the state, unless we are in a place full of resources and with no/low manpower (like colonies).
So having commoners is, with the same conditions, better since they can produce goods and get taxed while slaves can only produce goods
One would argue that if state directly own slaves who produce goods, they still be useful as state will then sell those goods, and receive money for it, as alternative to money that it would get from taxation.

• 3Like
Reactions:
If slaves are obtained through raiding and war (as they frequently were) it would make sense to have diplomatic maluses, but as far as I know the triangular trade was about Europeans buying slaves from the existing slave traders or Western Africa, so these African nations weren't even hostile to the idea of trading slaves for European goods.
Those slaves that European was buying was most often in fact obtained though raiding in wars between different african states. But i agree, with general point.

Reactions:
If you start at 1337 and represent slavery with all its ills in the game, you're going to have to show not only the horrors of the trans-Atlantic slave trade (fully racial in nature), but, also represent the lines between quasi-slavery (serfdom) and full-on-slavery. Its a complex thing to represent in a game. Multiple Paradox games have loosely engaged this topic (Imperator, Stellaris in particular) but none have really engaged it with the depth it deserves if we're trying to some degree of realism.

Considering that enslavement and enserfment was hardly restricted to any single identity group during the time in question, I'd have to think you can engage this without being openly disrespectful of people descended from people who went through this. To ignore it is more disrespectful in my opinion.
Indeed, theyll have to model indian ocean and trans saharan slavery. Also important to note that Portugese slavery wasnt initially racial, religious instead, but became racial overtime. This policy will also need to be modelled in game just as in eu4 we could endorse le casas or not

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm not sure we can make declarations on things like "many" with certainty on any of these issues. Were some slaves better off than some poor free white people? Purely from a "needs met" standpoint, probably, given the large number of people in each class, sure, I'm sure outliers happened.

Did poor white people have repeated and persistent crimes against humanity inflicted on them without any ability to pick up and move like often happened with owned chattel slaves? No, generally they did not.

The "Lost Cause" bullshit of southerners who lost the US Civil War run deep, even on slavery, which they claim the war wasn't about.
A good breakdown of the issue of comparing enslaved to free standards of living.

Also important to note that Portugese slavery wasnt initially racial, religious instead, but became racial overtime. This policy will also need to be modelled in game just as in eu4 we could endorse le casas or not
That's for sure. Most institutions in society were first out of rational economics factors, and gradually settled into institutionalised cultural and poltical structure.

And I think that in ideal situation, the former which should be simulated or realised by [player's behaviour limited by the general mechanics of game], instead of featured contents.

That's the ideal situation, because after all, an european christian was less likely to be treated as a slave than Africans, who was kinda "others" to europeans who actually owned the slavery.

Reactions:
Indeed, theyll have to model indian ocean and trans saharan slavery. Also important to note that Portugese slavery wasnt initially racial, religious instead, but became racial overtime. This policy will also need to be modelled in game just as in eu4 we could endorse le casas or not
Yes, "American Slavery" wasn't fully codified as racial until after Bacon's Rebellion. But, Carribean slavery was incredibly racial from an early time. Each island was almost like a miniature sugar manufacturing site where one of the required inputs was human laborers, some of whom would die.

Madeira's sugar plantations, started in the very early 15th century (1425? I forget with certainty anyhow) and later Sao Tome after Madeira ran out of trees for energy for sugar production were early examples.

These became the model for the Carribean on a larger scale. A small number of wealthy Europeans living as the ruling class over a modest number of indentured servants/soldiers and a larger number of black slaves from West Africa or occasionally from continental Americas.

The Portuguese didn't set out to establish a race-based model. But, it happened anyhow and was easy once transplanted to the Carribean to be 100% certain that black people on the islands were all/predominantly slaves.

This model expanded to all the various Carribean colonial islands and created a way for Europeans to break free from their prior well-established 5% return on land/capital that was so normalized that even Jane Austen brings it up.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It's a game. We all know it's bad in real life, the game does not need to lecture us nor give arbitrary negative effects. It should be profitable for the europeans buying it and profitable for the african state selling their own population. Negative effects I can't think of. Diplomatic bad relationships? Well they had good relationships, thats why they sold them to the europeans for a couple of centuries. Negative pop growth? I don't see why. At least not in africa. The negative pop growth are the pops who themselves are being transported. If anything yes a negative pop growth in the colonies due to bad conditions etc, which incentives you to keep buying more to replace them.

Also lets not forget that the european slave trade was minimal in compared to the global slave buisness. Slavery were a thing in most of Africa, big chunks of Asia, some muslim countries... You can't think of how to do it mechanically just on the atlantic triangle. It needs to represent it as well when you are playing an African/Asian/muslim nation too.

Im even wondering actually. Did pagans at this time still preserved slavery? Should Lithuania have still slave pops? I have no idea about pagans during this time so someone might have to shed some light on it.

Lastly, there should be an option unlocked with tech or institutions around the beginning of the 18th century to end slavery if you want to. And that would unlock a CB to enforce it in other countries. Ending slavery would not bring any benefits other than roleplaying and playing the freer of slaves but it would be cool. I mean I guess once you free them you could have them available for migration if you need more pops? Kind of like in Victoria 3?
i'm not qualified to talk about it but it is a very complex thing to think about when you start factoring in things like the relation between the lowest strata of a society's standard of living and the impact on productivity and economic growth which would need to be factored in for the black-death setting of the game's start date. similarly, assuming an end date similar to EU4, to be accurate the game would need to be able to model the de-industrialisation of India and the stagflation the continent experienced as a result of several factors which included the expansion of slavery.

there's also the reality of internal discontent. while Haiti is the most well-known example, slave revolts happened all over the world throughout the time period with varying degrees of success. further, public opinion in Britain heavily opposing slavery lead to it shaping policy to avoid discontent among the British public to the point where they felt they had to push for anti-slavery gestures even during the Congress of Vienna despite the government of the time leaning more towards the conservative faction of the Liberal party.

Reactions:
i'm not qualified to talk about it but it is a very complex thing to think about when you start factoring in things like the relation between the lowest strata of a society's standard of living and the impact on productivity and economic growth which would need to be factored in for the black-death setting of the game's start date. similarly, assuming an end date similar to EU4, to be accurate the game would need to be able to model the de-industrialisation of India and the stagflation the continent experienced as a result of several factors which included the expansion of slavery.
I firmly disagree with the idea that India was industrialised at all prior to Company Rule, but where does the idea that slavery expanded during Company Rule
there's also the reality of internal discontent. while Haiti is the most well-known example, slave revolts happened all over the world throughout the time period with varying degrees of success. further, public opinion in Britain heavily opposing slavery lead to it shaping policy to avoid discontent among the British public to the point where they felt they had to push for anti-slavery gestures even during the Congress of Vienna despite the government of the time leaning more towards the conservative faction of the Liberal party.
I wouldnt say public opinion heavily opposed slavery, more there were several popular abolitionist campaigns, while not necessarily having majority support

• 2Like
Reactions:
I think it'd be more gross to include slavery but completely whitewash in the name of not being a crimes against humanity sim than to not include it all. Ideally you'd have economic reasons to enslave but the game would go out of its way to show the results of that and make you feel bad about it imo through events and possibly effects/modifiers. It's more important to give exposure to the histories and perspectives of slaves whether they be transatlantic or otherwise than to prevent people from making edgy memes.

I remember there being an article about this with EU4 when it first came out. About how you were incentivised to genocide the populace of everywhere you colonised to stop native uprisings but the game abstracted it too much for the writer to feel bad about it in the moment.
EU4 and strategy games in general are meant to engage your brain, not your heart or your gut. Games do not and should not have any moral obligation to compromise their design for this.

And why do you need to feel bad? Is it to fulfill some moral imperative? As long as you understand the evil of slavery and the necessity of working against its modern-day practice, there is no need to put yourself through any emotional stress.

Reactions:
Yes, "American Slavery" wasn't fully codified as racial until after Bacon's Rebellion. But, Carribean slavery was incredibly racial from an early time. Each island was almost like a miniature sugar manufacturing site where one of the required inputs was human laborers, some of whom would die.

Madeira's sugar plantations, started in the very early 15th century (1425? I forget with certainty anyhow) and later Sao Tome after Madeira ran out of trees for energy for sugar production were early examples.

These became the model for the Carribean on a larger scale. A small number of wealthy Europeans living as the ruling class over a modest number of indentured servants/soldiers and a larger number of black slaves from West Africa or occasionally from continental Americas.
Sans black slaves that is most of history though, a wealthy elite, a adoring soldiery, and a majority labourers
The Portuguese didn't set out to establish a race-based model. But, it happened anyhow and was easy once transplanted to the Carribean to be 100% certain that black people on the islands were all/predominantly slaves.
Portugal was able to estabilsh the model many European colonisers would follow, but its still the case that from the first European colony in 1492 in the Carribean, only with the Vallodid Debates of the 1550s, or the New Laws of the 1540s would slavery of natives be abolished. Thats still roughly 50 years before the policy officially swaps to importing black slaves bought from the Portugese, with this privilege later given to the Dutch and English. Whilst slaves had been imported before to account for the declining taino population of Hispaniola, getting around mercantilist embargos, and the semi hidden trade routes, would make it harder to do before Casas' winning the day, which in game might not even happen. With said alt his that could even lead to Latin America being more hispanicised and less native.
Similarly Jamaica was long settled by Irish indentured servants with slaves only becoming the majority population once land could no longer be divivded up to make new households
This model expanded to all the various Carribean colonial islands and created a way for Europeans to break free from their prior well-established 5% return on land/capital that was so normalized that even Jane Austen brings it up.
Go on?

I think a lot of people are confusing "slavery was good for the kinds of people who wrote histories and have histories written about them" with "slavery was good for the national economy writ large." It depressed wages and made it easier to keep the poors under the thumb of the wealthy; do as I say without complaint or I'll replace you with a slave, but there's a good reason most of the European nations had banned slavery in their European empires long before they banned it in the colonies and why they slave empires of Iberia and the UK (among others) tried so hard to justify the slavery of *others* in religious terms.

I firmly disagree with the idea that India was industrialised at all prior to Company Rule, but where does the idea that slavery expanded during Company Rule
It's referred to as deindustrialisation but it's not saying that India was industrialised in the 19th century sense. It's the pivot under EIC rule in India from an economy dominated by artisanal craftsmen and the export of processed goods to a primarily agrarian economy devoted to raw resource extraction. With regards to slavery, I'm having trouble finding a good quotable sentence but Chapter 11 of Volume 4 of the Cambridge World History of Slavery is dedicated to India and details how slavery was massively expanded under European colonial rule (the French were just as bad).
I wouldnt say public opinion heavily opposed slavery, more there were several popular abolitionist campaigns, while not necessarily having majority support
I might be wrong on this tbh. I recently watched some detailed content on the Congress of Vienna and that was the youtuber's interpretation of the political situation in Britain at the time but I haven't read any authoritative sources on the matter

Reactions:
On the positive side, slavery gives benefits in economy and possibly manpower. On the negative side, history condemns it, and player feels (or at least should feel) bad when thinking about slavery. What were the in period points against slavery? Think about those, then model them in the game.
Unfortunately, you would likely not see large-scale movements against slavery until the very end of the game, if we want to model the kind of liberal abolitionist tradition (and even that was not set in stone - it struggled with the notion of 'responsible government', and slavery was not abolished even with the very radical demands of the French Third Estate in the initial events of 1789, as potentially harming a source of revenue wasn't seen as a great idea in the fiscal crisis).

Beforehand, you would see the 'you can't enslave people if they are your own religion' argument, or the 'you can't enslave New World people who haven't had the chance to know they're not heretics', which still allows you to enslave other groups of people and so isn't a great argument for a modern day player that should, I hope, care about all people across the world. You could have events showing the negative side effects, but that could also be exploited by bad-intentioned players who revel in the suffering. So it's pretty tricky.
I think a lot of people are confusing "slavery was good for the kinds of people who wrote histories and have histories written about them" with "slavery was good for the national economy writ large." It depressed wages and made it easier to keep the poors under the thumb of the wealthy; do as I say without complaint or I'll replace you with a slave, but there's a good reason most of the European nations had banned slavery in their European empires long before they banned it in the colonies and why they slave empires of Iberia and the UK (among others) tried so hard to justify the slavery of *others* in religious terms.
That's probably not wrong if you're talking about the economy in a holistic sense, and assuming slaves can uniformly fill the role of any worker. However, in the kind of Triangle Trade slavery that would likely emerge during most games, that is not really the case, since as you said, it is only being carried out in the colonies, specifically for the kind of extremely intense work that cannot truly be done safely but still produces a very profitable good (like sugar) and is hard to induce people to migrate over to do that kind of labor.

The racialization of slavery also meant that, essentially, slaves and free people were hardly ever competing for the same kind of work - a white Frenchman would not migrate to Saint-Domingue to work as a domestic servant, as it was known that all those jobs would be filled by slaves. So instead of keeping the poor people under the thumb of the wealthy, you had things like the poor artisan worker petits blancs of Saint-Domingue looking down upon the wealthy free colored people who owned plantations.

So, while you could say your economy would take a hit if you start with slavery in your own metropole, it is pretty hard to justify the player seeing an immediate economic hit to themselves if a certain kind of specialized system is set up at the right time.

Edit: Though of course, a big downside to that kind of intense slavery is uprisings, which would involve a huge number of the populations and see a massive amount of attrition for anyone trying to put it down, thanks to tropical disease

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
With regards to slavery, I'm having trouble finding a good quotable sentence but Chapter 11 of Volume 4 of the Cambridge World History of Slavery is dedicated to India and details how slavery was massively expanded under European colonial rule (the French were just as bad).
To quote Henry Bartle Frer, who sat on the Viceroy's Council in the mid-nineteenth:
Comparing such information, district by district, with the very imperfect estimates of the total population fifty years ago, the lowest estimate I have been able to form of the total slave population of British India, in 1841, is between eight and nine millions of souls. The slaves set free in the British colonies on the 1st of August, 1834, were estimated at between 800,000 and 1,000,000; and the slaves in North and South America, in 1860, were estimated at 4,000,000. So that the number of human beings whose liberties and fortunes, as slaves and owners of slaves, were at stake when the emancipation of the slaves was contemplated in British India, far exceeded the number of the same classes in all the slaveholding colonies and dominions of Great Britain and America put together.

Choice quotes from Andrea Major's Slavery, Abolitionism and Empire in India, 1772–1843:
Legislation brought into force by the EIC after the formalisation of its government under Governor-General Warren Hastings in 1772, together with records of prosecutions brought under that legislation, suggest that slave-trading was rife in both the Bengal and Madras Presidencies until the end of the eighteenth century. ‘The practice of stealing children from their parents, and selling them for slaves, has long prevailed in this country,’ a minute by the Governor-General noted in 1774, ‘and has greatly increased since the establishment of English Government in it.
In the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, Europeans of various nationalities exported Indian slaves to their colonies in South-East Asia, the Mascarenes, the Cape and elsewhere. South India saw a lively commerce in slaves, while coastal regions of Bengal, and especially Arakan, were also subject to slave raiding by Europeans and their agents. Compared to the Atlantic trade, numbers were relatively small, but this does not mean that they were insignificant, being large enough to induce the Mughal state, smaller local Indian kingdoms and the British EIC to attempt to limit the trade and prevent the depopulation of their territories.

Major also quotes a 1758 edition of the East India Chronicle. Not relevant for our purposes, but I thought the Orientalism was very interesting - even before the conquest of the Bengal the EIC was positioning itself as the "liberators" of Indians:
Almost three-fourths of the inhabitants of Arracan [Arakan] are said to be natives of Bengal or descendants of such who pray that the English may deliver them,
and they have agreed among themselves to assist their deliverers.
From time immemorial the Mugs have plundered the Southern parts of Bengal … destroy[ing] what they could not carry away, and carry[ing] the inhabitants into slavery. But since the cession of the province to the Company, the place for the most part has enjoyed quiet.
Or this one:
The relationship between famine, distress sales and perpetual bondage was to become a recurrent theme in colonial discourse on Indian slavery. The idea that Indian peasants entered slavery voluntarily in times of hardship resonated with emerging orientalist tropes about the inherent passivity, indolence and lack of entrepreneurial spirit that supposedly characterised Hindus; traits that were thought to naturally predispose them to both individual and collective subordination. The apparent poverty of the Indian peasantry was exacerbated by an unpredictable environment and an exploitative, despotic Mughal state, rendering them helpless victims of tyrannical rulers, a capricious climate and their own lack of industry. The growing influence of these ideas in the late eighteenth century marked a shift in European interpretations of Indian conditions. As David Arnold notes, during the Enlightenment, the fertility of Indian soil, the abundance of its natural products and the skill of its artisans had contributed to its reputation as a wealthy and favoured location. Under EIC rule, however, a new image emerged that emphasised both its moral degradation and its material poverty; a land that, unlike the West, was not sufficiently developed to control the vagaries of nature.
(all emphases mine)

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Hopefully they will represent slavery fairly and not just as the 'evil' choice, but rather a system that had been in place for a long time with genuine cultural and economic reasons for engaging in it by all parties (except for the slaves obviously).

For the African nations that sold slaves it was a great source of revenue. For the people that traded them it was lucrative. For the plantation owners it was lucrative. Ending it today seems like a no-brainer but that should not be the case for the game. Ending it, or not engaging in it, should come at a cost. Ideally a great one.

Potential Mechanic...

Generating Slaves

Enslaver culture nations could have a mechanic whereby they raid for slaves or capture them naturally after battles, sieges and as part of peace treaties. That increases their slave pop.

Trading Slaves
Non enslaver culture nations would grant slave trade licences to their merchant estate. The merchant estate would pay the slaver culture nations from their own resources.

The slaves would then be 'sold' to and 'owned' by the noble estate of the country. Money would then transfer from the noble estates to the merchant estates of the purchasing nation. This represents the private incentives for slavery and the private transactions.

The player could tax each transaction.

In addition to taxing the trade, the benefits of slaves would be the rapid and reliable source of workers for low population provinces (most likely colonies) that would otherwise find it hard to get the manpower needed to be of any value. The boosts the economy and enriches the noble and merchant estates.

Opportunity Cost
Not engaging in the slave trade would not only lose out on trade income, but hinder the growth of provinces (especially low pop undesirable ones) and losing other benefits/gaining penalties depending on the culture specific. It has to be enough to give the player serious reason to question if they should engage in the trade so the player doesn't get to make a virtuous act without actual cost.

Ending Slavery
Stopping the slave trade within your own country could face opposition from your estates, which may need to be bribed or placated to agree, or could trigger a civil war.

Ending slavery for your subjects should lead to similar issues, perhaps even breakaways or independence movements for those that practice slavery.

Ending the slave trade internationally could be a peace condition, or a threat used as a 'Great Power Action'.

Choosing to end the slave trade in your own land should not come with any bonuses, just turn the slaves into freemen pops. This represents the fact that ending it is a moral act and not an obvious 'win win' act. Choosing to end it in your subjects or internationally should give penalties to enslaver nations and those engaging in the trade, but huge bonus to nations opposed to it.

Note that I did not specify a specific trade. Slavery was endemic and the game should not focus on a single slave trade. I fear that it may put too much focus on the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade for obvious reasons. That would be a mistake. The game should leave open natural routes, ie the trans-Atlantic, trans-Saharan, Berber, etc but allow them to emerge as a useful, even vital, mechanic. This would give a very unique and enjoyable game mechanic, while providing a nuanced understanding of why such a thing even existed in the first place.

Thoughts?

• 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Hopefully they will represent slavery fairly and not just as the 'evil' choice, but rather a system that had been in place for a long time with genuine cultural and economic reasons for engaging in it by all parties (except for the slaves obviously).

For the African nations that sold slaves it was a great source of revenue. For the people that traded them it was lucrative. For the plantation owners it was lucrative. Ending it today seems like a no-brainer but that should not be the case for the game. Ending it, or not engaging in it, should come at a cost. Ideally a great one.

Potential Mechanic...

Generating Slaves

Enslaver culture nations could have a mechanic whereby they raid for slaves or capture them naturally after battles, sieges and as part of peace treaties. That increases their slave pop.

Trading Slaves
Non enslaver culture nations would grant slave trade licences to their merchant estate. The merchant estate would pay the slaver culture nations from their own resources.

The slaves would then be 'sold' to and 'owned' by the noble estate of the country. Money would then transfer from the noble estates to the merchant estates of the purchasing nation. This represents the private incentives for slavery and the private transactions.

The player could tax each transaction.

In addition to taxing the trade, the benefits of slaves would be the rapid and reliable source of workers for low population provinces (most likely colonies) that would otherwise find it hard to get the manpower needed to be of any value. The boosts the economy and enriches the noble and merchant estates.

Opportunity Cost
Not engaging in the slave trade would not only lose out on trade income, but hinder the growth of provinces (especially low pop undesirable ones) and losing other benefits/gaining penalties depending on the culture specific. It has to be enough to give the player serious reason to question if they should engage in the trade so the player doesn't get to make a virtuous act without actual cost.

Ending Slavery
Stopping the slave trade within your own country could face opposition from your estates, which may need to be bribed or placated to agree, or could trigger a civil war.

Ending slavery for your subjects should lead to similar issues, perhaps even breakaways or independence movements for those that practice slavery.

Ending the slave trade internationally could be a peace condition, or a threat used as a 'Great Power Action'.

Choosing to end the slave trade in your own land should not come with any bonuses, just turn the slaves into freemen pops. This represents the fact that ending it is a moral act and not an obvious 'win win' act. Choosing to end it in your subjects or internationally should give penalties to enslaver nations and those engaging in the trade, but huge bonus to nations opposed to it.

Note that I did not specify a specific trade. Slavery was endemic and the game should not focus on a single slave trade. I fear that it may put too much focus on the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade for obvious reasons. That would be a mistake. The game should leave open natural routes, ie the trans-Atlantic, trans-Saharan, Berber, etc but allow them to emerge as a useful, even vital, mechanic. This would give a very unique and enjoyable game mechanic, while providing a nuanced understanding of why such a thing even existed in the first place.

Thoughts?
Really like the Great Power action idea, I was trying to think of how you could do the British navy blockades but that would work great.

Will the player have control over trade ships? I hope not as it was more autonomous