Representation of the Institution of Slavery

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nah thats a genuine question

It was different but I wouldn't say particularly more cruel. Not being castrated is definetly a benefit for male slaves even if for female slaves that means more likely to be raped

No, but african slaves working plantations in iraq under the abbasids is a similar example to slavery in the americas

To the people invovled its terrible, but I wouldn't say economically, socially etc etc it was terrible.

in irt? International relations theory?
"....in regards to..."
Why would I want that? This a gaming forum not a politics board, although for some reason paradox does have an irl sub forum
I don't know. You focused on the fact that I used the year 1619, which was the year that the first Portiguese-captured slaves from Angola arrived in the English colonies of North America. Rightwingers seem to take exception whenever the year "1619" is mentioned the past few years.

But yeah. This is supposed to be about the game mechanics of slavery reflecting a more.historically accurate consequences of that peculiar institution.
;-;

Based and byzpilled

Reactions:
Since we're talking about a game here... I'm going to place a suggestion based on how the history of our world developed.

1- Adoption of slavery

This would depend on the initial situation of the states, and should develop as the colonization of the world progresses, the behavior of the AI should also depend on the culture, for example, the Chinese dynasties would see it as more viable to mobilize the population to new areas before actively seek to adopt slavery, but the player would be free to choose what to do... At least initially... I will explain it at another point.
Of course... There should be a "source" to get slaves, either raids on other countries/tribes or purchases from other nations that are already slavers, or in the worst case trying to enslave the population (AN EXTREMELY IDEA BAD).

2- Laws on slavery and debates about them.

At first there should be different types of slavery, whether debtors, domestic slaves, for plantations or mining, the impact of the estates will depend on how the slaves are obtained or if they already have "slave culture", generally the nobles and vassals ( Colony type) would see it as something positive, the clergy could react negatively depending on who is enslaved (Culture or religion), the bourgeois would depend on the market, at first they would agree (Trade with the new world and the far east) , but when the first factories entered they would progressively see slavery in a bad way (For them they would be potential workers), and the serfs would not care about it at first, but later they could be against or support it.
Now, there should be events that are activated every 25 or more years, those would be debates about the slave trade (Unless the slaves are "special" types of mamlukes or janissaries), there should be three options, either allowing greater cruelty, to have a little more efficiency and satisfaction from the classes that favor it, in exchange for greater mortality in slaves and slave revolts being more common, a neutral option so that things continue as they are, and finally an option that is to place certain limits that would only make slave revolts less common, in exchange for less satisfaction from those who support it. This system would also be compatible with one-off events.
The events would be flags, which could activate other events, for example if you allow a lot of cruelty there may be an event that lowers your relationship with some nations, there may even be one that can lower your relationship with everyone who knows you... In In reality that happened, although in some cases the rest were even more cruel, but it was enough of an excuse to discredit competitors and look better compared to the rest.
In the end, if you decide to restrict cruelty to slaves "effectively" for too long, it will simply be abolished, since a slave culture will not have been created and slave owners would see that at this point it would be better to charge them for the use of land than owning them.

3- Policy management

I will start by saying that in fact Spain was the first to establish 8 working hours and in fact they could be less the harder or riskier the work, that was a decree to regulate mining in the new world... Was that effective? Indeed, none of the aristocrats liked that, so they simply ignored it. In fact, previously when an attempt was made to reform the "Encomiendas", greatly restricting the encomenderos, a civil war broke out between the viceroys of the new world and the crown of Spain... Where do I want to go?, that not everything is reduced to saying "it's bad... please don't do it", but rather it is a fight where you must impose the decision on your colonial subjects by fair means, by the bad ones or reaching an agreement, the more they respect you and the more you can project your naval power (A fairly important sign of control), the more they will obey your laws, you can also change the colonial administration (But it can also cause confrontations), with which The more centralized you have your colonies, the more they will obey you and pay you... But revolutionary feelings can be formed in that way, seeking to free themselves from the commercial monopoly of the metropolis, decide their own laws and above all... Not pay you taxes.

4- Slave culture

The more time you spend with slavery allowed, your population will be more and more tolerant of it and will even support it in the end, which would be difficult to ban it in the middle of the campaign, but in the end things would begin to change, first the bourgeoisie would be increasingly against it, since they see that they would be more useful in the factories, the serfs and some nobles could be more sensitive to slavery and would begin to pressure for its abolition (Thanks to greater education).

• 3Like
Reactions:
Yes. Considering the Royal Navy has surpassed both the French and Spanish navies
The Royal Navy surpassed both French and Spanish navies because Britain had fundamentally changed and become a seapower state, especially in the wake of the Glorious Revolution, whereas France focused on being primarily a land power for much of its existence.
Additionally the Royal Navy become the premier navy of all Europe whilst Britain, France, and Spain all owned and traded in slaves. Britain would remain naval hegemon whilst owning slaves but abolishing the slave trade.
, and the USN eventually surpassed pretty much the rest of the entire world combined.
The US Navy only surpassed Britain during/after WW2. Will you next say being a republic rather than a consititutional monarchy is what caused this to happen if not trading in slaves somehow makes your navy better. Despite how you'll need a large merchant marine to both trade the slaves and then export the products home from the colonies
You completely missed my entire point. It would be a "MODIFIER" that affects innovativeness and corruption "OVER TIME."
How much is this modifier going to affect, if Portugal could reach Japan in 1543 but had been engaged in trading slaves for a century beforehand? For societies without slaves how much more advanced are they going to be due to the lack of this modifier compared to euros? Could rotw get better naval tech than they did irl due to lack of slaves due to euros trading slaves for too long?
If slavery increases corruption and decreases innovation how badly affected with rotw ai be in 1500s if theyve had slavery for 2 centuries. The ottomans tech will still be on par with euros until 1600
Like I've said before, there could be a decent short-term gain. But over the LONG-TERM (I'm pretty sure I very specifically used that particular phrase),
Yes youve said long term, but if its +0.00001 per day once slavery starts thats going to be far more distantly felt than a +1.0 per day, which would be the day after the first slave is traded you now face a big malus
a slave-holding society absolutely does gain corruption (after all, slavery as it's very nature IS corrupt!
if owning someone and their labour is corrupt then this source of corruption would never go away in the time frame unless you become a peasant republic. And corruption as a game mechanic, like unrest, will be something a player eventually wants to turn to 0
; and loses innovativeness.

A society full of free citizens who may pursue their own wishes and talents as they please, combined with the ability to obtain a good education, breeds...well... Talent!

The world of science is much better off with humans who actually naturally have the ability to think rationally and scientifically. Engineering is much better off with people who are natural tinkerers. Music is much better off with people who are naturally musically-inclined.

Slavery, as practiced in the EU through Victorian time periods, takes away entire segments of the populations' ability to pursue their own interests and talents. And yes. That absolutely does accumulate over time.
can we not turn this argument on its head that slavery let the slave owners pursue whatever talents they had, as they didnt have to work a normal job but could instead spend the fortunes they got from slavery on writing poetry and philosophy or inventing things? This inverse is compeltely anti thetical to our notion of universal human rights of course, but in age prior could easily be used to justify slavery itself
Same with corruption. Free people who see others in slavery, increases false perceptions of their own superiority. You wind up with more Preston Brookses, than you do with the Charles Summers of the world False.

Humans are a migratory species. Humans have successfully traveled by foot to the Americas long before the Roman Empire was even established.

Even during the colonial times, such groups as the Puritans and the Quakers were willing to travel across the sea to establish new colonies. Slavery wasn't introduced in the English colonies until 1619.
People facing religiously persecution are more easily moved than your average subject. But if you're trying to move people who are the same as you to new lands it can be hard to convince them all, meanwhile if you own slaves, you just need to employ enough overseers to keep the slaves marching.
Vermont was the first state to abolish slavery in 1777. Pennsylvania gradually abolished slavery beginning in 1780. Followed by New Hampshire and Massachusetts in 1783, then Connecticut and Rhode Island in 1784. By 1804, slavery was completely abolished in all the northern states.
huh thought maryland and delaware were part of the North, seeing how the Capital is there
The transatlantic slave trade abolished in 1808. And the British Empire abolished slavery empire-wide in 1834. All with barely a blip in economic output and/or the willingness of people to move to faraway places.
indentured servitude of irish being swapped for slavery of africans being swapped for indentured servitude of indians from the British Raj
In fact, if anything, the UK and the northern states became fabulously wealthy and powerful compared to slave-owning societies. While correlation does not mean causation, it is still undeniable that there is a VERY STRONG correlation between free states and nations with power and wealth, vs. slave societies that are seemingly always stuck in a backwards agrarian economy.

You will find very few instances of a chattel north America slave-style or European/Russian serfdom-style society that actually outproduces a society without such slaves or serfdom.

The classical empires had slavery, to be sure. But that was more along the lines of indentured servitude, and there were strict laws against the physical abuse of slaves. Roman slaves could and frequently did earn their freedom. Poor Romans would willingly sell themselves into slavery (which is basically what indentured servitude is.)
Poor Romans selling themselves into slavery are going to have very different experiences to Gauls and Carthaginians captured in wars. Roman slaves could be freed and adopted by their master, but they could also all be put to death if one slave killed their master.
The North American style of chattel slavery is unique in the annals of human history, and the regions that practices it, were quickly left behind economically and socially.
Enslaving based on race or ethnicity and the child of a slave being a slave isnt unique
As already explained above. There are people with moral principals. There are also people with their own economic interests. That's EXACTLY how the Civil War occurred:

You had the slave-owning interests of the south that clashed up against the moralistic principals of some northerners, and the economic interests of most of the rest of the Northern labor force.

Slavery is in direct competition with free men with little to no skills other than their own labor they provide in exchange for a wage. Northern factory workers resented the idea of slavery, since it would erode the value of their labor. Again, it's much the same argument that rightwingers make today against immigration.
How is this going to work when theres little industrialisation let alone class conciousness in the 14th to very early 19th century
Too, you had the traditions of the Quakers. Particularly from Pennsylvania, that found chattel slavery morally repugnant and in direct violation of the ideals expressed in the Declaration of Independance that was written in the city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
As theres likely to be bans on same culture same religion being slaves, certain religions will likely also ban slaves as a whole
Wilberforce also had his detractors in Parliament in 1805 when he petitioned to end the slave trade empire-wide. Though the British themselves were no where nearly as divided on the issue as the USA was. They did vote overwhelmingly to end the slave trade.

Yes. Only because it has helped some few greedy and morally corrupt land-owners. It did no favors to anyone else in society.
Weavers back home will like access to american cotton as itll be cheaper than indian cotton
I don't know! That's my entire point about the red Xes! What, exactly, is it that people are disagreeing with?

Are they disagreeing with the idea of implementing new game mechanics or modifiers to reflect the negative aspects of slavery? Or are they disagreeing that slavery is bad? I'm really hoping that everyone on this forum would agree that slavery is bad.
As none of them have the Vic2 CSA flag as their user icon, I think its just game mechanics youre suggesting that they disagree on
Therefore, there must be disagreements regarding game mechanics or modifiers. I'm no computer programmer and certainly not a mathematician. So if there is game play balance or programming issues involved, maybe someone might explain it and I learn something new?

Please don't gloss over my point. You know perfectly well that the northern and southern economies and cultures were extremely dissimilar. You also must know that the free North completely outcompeted the slave-holding south in terms of wealth, productivity, and innovation.

Wait. What!? Are you kidding me!?

Ava Lovelace - first computer programmer

Mary Anderson - invented the windshield wiper

Margaret Knight - inventor of a machine that produces grocery bags.

Marie Curie is an obvious and perhaps most famous example

Eleabor Cloade

And I could go on, right through into the middle of the 20th century.
The industrial revolution lasted until the middle of the 20th century?
Right! That's my entire point! Thank you!
So to mitigate inventions lost to slavery you need a) to abolish slavery b) provide universal education somehow in 14th to 19th centuries c) have funding available enough for said inventions
No. It isnt. People of other cultures tend to hold grudges for a very long time. That's how the Conquistadors were able to conquer the Aztecs. They used all the other local tribes' built-up resentments against them. The Palestinians. Look at Ghandi's Indian and African movements against the British Empire, and they weren't even chattel slaves! Look at all the different slave revolts and uprisings.
yeah by trading your rivals as slaves you continue the blood feud started by your constant wars, but if youre the one trading them as slaves, youre pretty free from the consequences. Especially in the case you've been trading slaves north to muslims since before start and 100 years ingame the Portugese arrive asking for more slaves
Look at all the serf uprisings, to the point where the Romanovs wound up getting slaughtered in their own home!
... they were executed during a civil war having abdicated before even the last gov. The Great Peasants War in Germany meanwhile led to very very few nobles being killed off later on
Enslaving people is a GREAT way to ensure continued hatred and resentment gainst your empire. Not to mention, all those noble and righteous free people in your country who have a conscience.
The nobles helping trade and capture the slaves are fine tho
Um. No. Not at all. What does a hunter-gatherer know about farming or plantation work? They don't have those skills, nor that work ethic. They have to be beaten and chastised to work it like that
They dont have the skills or work ethic but once beaten into them, they would be more productive wouldnt you say
. A freeman with engineering skills can (and have!) singlehandedly increased production beyond the means of billions of human laborers since Elijah McCormick's day!
Whom?
Yeah, because that's EXACTLY what I said.
If having slaves makes you lose innovation, and inventions, along with increasing corruption, would abolishing slavery not instantly get rid of said modifier, or would it tick down as slowly as it increased? If so, who's going to abolish slaves in the late 18th early 19th century, as the modifier wouldnt finish ticking down before the game was done
I don't understand this question at all. If none of your subjects are being sold into slavery, they WOULDNT have any penalties. And that's the entire point!
So Kongo, raiding Ndongo for slaves, holding them briefly, then selling them to Portugal, wont suffer maluses? I think most people read you saying "The game should also reflect penalties on the source countries as well." as, the african kingdom selling the slaves should have a penalty, rather than the african kingdom which has lost both war and men already

Reactions:
The Royal Navy surpassed both French and Spanish navies because Britain had fundamentally changed and become a seapower state, especially in the wake of the Glorious Revolution, whereas France focused on being primarily a land power for much of its existence.
Additionally the Royal Navy become the premier navy of all Europe whilst Britain, France, and Spain all owned and traded in slaves. Britain would remain naval hegemon whilst owning slaves but abolishing the slave trade.

The US Navy only surpassed Britain during/after WW2. Will you next say being a republic rather than a consititutional monarchy is what caused this to happen if not trading in slaves somehow makes your navy better. Despite how you'll need a large merchant marine to both trade the slaves and then export the products home from the colonies

How much is this modifier going to affect, if Portugal could reach Japan in 1543 but had been engaged in trading slaves for a century beforehand? For societies without slaves how much more advanced are they going to be due to the lack of this modifier compared to euros? Could rotw get better naval tech than they did irl due to lack of slaves due to euros trading slaves for too long?
If slavery increases corruption and decreases innovation how badly affected with rotw ai be in 1500s if theyve had slavery for 2 centuries. The ottomans tech will still be on par with euros until 1600

Yes youve said long term, but if its +0.00001 per day once slavery starts thats going to be far more distantly felt than a +1.0 per day, which would be the day after the first slave is traded you now face a big malus

if owning someone and their labour is corrupt then this source of corruption would never go away in the time frame unless you become a peasant republic. And corruption as a game mechanic, like unrest, will be something a player eventually wants to turn to 0

can we not turn this argument on its head that slavery let the slave owners pursue whatever talents they had, as they didnt have to work a normal job but could instead spend the fortunes they got from slavery on writing poetry and philosophy or inventing things? This inverse is compeltely anti thetical to our notion of universal human rights of course, but in age prior could easily be used to justify slavery itself

People facing religiously persecution are more easily moved than your average subject. But if you're trying to move people who are the same as you to new lands it can be hard to convince them all, meanwhile if you own slaves, you just need to employ enough overseers to keep the slaves marching.

huh thought maryland and delaware were part of the North, seeing how the Capital is there

indentured servitude of irish being swapped for slavery of africans being swapped for indentured servitude of indians from the British Raj

Poor Romans selling themselves into slavery are going to have very different experiences to Gauls and Carthaginians captured in wars. Roman slaves could be freed and adopted by their master, but they could also all be put to death if one slave killed their master.

Enslaving based on race or ethnicity and the child of a slave being a slave isnt unique

How is this going to work when theres little industrialisation let alone class conciousness in the 14th to very early 19th century

As theres likely to be bans on same culture same religion being slaves, certain religions will likely also ban slaves as a whole

Weavers back home will like access to american cotton as itll be cheaper than indian cotton

As none of them have the Vic2 CSA flag as their user icon, I think its just game mechanics youre suggesting that they disagree on

The industrial revolution lasted until the middle of the 20th century?

So to mitigate inventions lost to slavery you need a) to abolish slavery b) provide universal education somehow in 14th to 19th centuries c) have funding available enough for said inventions

yeah by trading your rivals as slaves you continue the blood feud started by your constant wars, but if youre the one trading them as slaves, youre pretty free from the consequences. Especially in the case you've been trading slaves north to muslims since before start and 100 years ingame the Portugese arrive asking for more slaves

... they were executed during a civil war having abdicated before even the last gov. The Great Peasants War in Germany meanwhile led to very very few nobles being killed off later on

The nobles helping trade and capture the slaves are fine tho

They dont have the skills or work ethic but once beaten into them, they would be more productive wouldnt you say

Whom?

If having slaves makes you lose innovation, and inventions, along with increasing corruption, would abolishing slavery not instantly get rid of said modifier, or would it tick down as slowly as it increased? If so, who's going to abolish slaves in the late 18th early 19th century, as the modifier wouldnt finish ticking down before the game was done

So Kongo, raiding Ndongo for slaves, holding them briefly, then selling them to Portugal, wont suffer maluses? I think most people read you saying "The game should also reflect penalties on the source countries as well." as, the african kingdom selling the slaves should have a penalty, rather than the african kingdom which has lost both war and men already
I want remember kingdom in africa trade in slaves for european, ok receive horse and rifles,but in very long range they weakened themselves,because the lands they conquer are very depopulated etc

Reactions:
I want remember kingdom in africa trade in slaves for european, ok receive horse and rifles,but in very long range they weakened themselves,because the lands they conquer are very depopulated etc
If you dont conquer them you dont have to care about them being depopulated. If you conquer them, theres now more land open for your group to settle on and spread your culture. In the long term sure your population might be smaller, but if you lacked horses and gunpowder when your enemy had horses and gunpowder, what use is having more of your people subject to another power.

Reactions:
If you dont conquer them you dont have to care about them being depopulated. If you conquer them, theres now more land open for your group to settle on and spread your culture. In the long term sure your population might be smaller, but if you lacked horses and gunpowder when your enemy had horses and gunpowder, what use is having more of your people subject to another power.
Yes, but in long range africa demage himself, with this trade...and after opened himself to european conquest in 300 years of depopulation

Reactions:
Yes, but in long range africa demage himself, with this trade...and after opened himself to european conquest in 300 years of depopulation
But you don't play as Africa, you play as one African kingdom of many. Even without the slave trade Europe would be advanced enough and Africa backwards enough that it would be conquered at the tail end of the 19th century

• 3Like
Reactions:
I think this is one of the main things EU5 has to get right, and that's the SECONDARY consequences of economic decisions and events. For example, a SECONDARY consequence of the black death was a population bounce back, the propagation of burghers and the question of their rights, and the beginning of the questioning of the Catholic church's legitimacy.

A clear secondary consequence of slavery in America was significant underdevelopment of the south. In the short-term, the immediate consequences of plantation culture were to make plantation owners very rich and increase the volume of trade and the standard of living of the people the plantations exported to, while doing very little for the standard of living of anyone but the plantation owners within the south. The long-term consequence was an under-educated and often under-skilled population, including those plantation owners who rarely had any particular need to develop real skills or knowledge, and a severe lack of industrialization and innovation in the American south.

Arguably, the slave trade didn't build up America as much as it held it back for the benefit of European plutocrats who were the primary beneficiaries of large-scale production of cotton, tobacco, and sugar. And if you take this perspective with the game, then you have clear costs and benefits of the slave trade represented and it doesn't become a one-dimensional mechanic like it always has been in EU games (i.e. do I engage in the trade to make lots of money now and sacrifice my future potential?). I think Victoria games have generally done a decent job here and should be the primary model.

• 3Like
Reactions:
"King Cotton" lost the US Civil war for a few reasons, almost none of which had to do with the lack of profitability of cotton leading up to the war.

Southern harvests had been spectacularly good for a few years running at the end of the 1850s. This allowed European textile industries to have excess supply and begin to branch out for more diverse sources of cotton (Egypt and India for example) so they didn't have a few slave states in the USA able to strangle their economies by causing a supply-side shock of the needed input for so many jobs. The south grossly misunderstood their position here and thought if the USA blockaded them, that UK and France would use their fleets to break the blockade to avoid industrial worker riots. The fact that the UK and France would have to be fighting to prop up unseemly slavery also didn't hurt.

The south had a poorly diversified economy where the border states in the east (Maryland and Virginia) had substantive slave breeding enterprises to sell slaves "down the river" where they'd be used in plantations. This was an unintended consequence of the closure of the trans-Atlantic slave trade. The cotton and other raw material plantations in the Carolinas and deep south were highly profitable, despite spending $600-800 a head for adult slaves who weren't older yet (quite the sum during the time), so I think we can rule out them being inviable enterprises. What made them inviable outside of a chattel slavery system was quite simple, nobody would willingly do the labor required in a cost-efficient fashion, so, given the legal structure of the time chattel slavery filled the gap and functionally subsidized lots of US economy. As horrible as it is, the industrial development in the north was substantively funded by banks with a combination of southern plantation owner and northern mercantile (often trans-Atlantic slave made) money. Without the institution of slavery having given the early USA an easily exported set of commodities to send to Europe, industrialization would have been markedly slower.

None of what I'm writing is to justify the prior existence of slavery in America. I deplore that it was ever a thing. But, northern industrialization takes multiple generations longer without the south having had it. I'm not arguing that northern industry depended on cotton directly, I'm saying it did depend on banks filed with the deposits from slave owners who benefitted directly from the slavery. At the time of the start of the US Civil War, if we counted chattel slaves as "capital", they were worth more than all the physical capital in the northern states. Owning the lifetime production of another human being (let alone millions of them) is highly profitable, even if they are mostly stuck doing rote, menial labor

The primary reason the south lost the US Civil War is they underrated the determination of the north to win. Everyone knew the north would marshall larger and better equipped armies. Some southerners thought they could win quickly due to their "superior martial culture" but, that really only applied to cavalry which was not capable of winning wars by itself by 1861. A failure to foresee that they'd get no foreign help was involved. Their inability to capitalize on UK/France/Spain's invasion of Mexico over debt issues during the US Civil War was driven by their unwillingness to side with a country they still had territorial demands on (Mexico, even as the 2nd Empire of Mexico under an Austrian Archduke) even though the US was fairly openly supporting the previously legitimate government's resistance to such. Once Lincoln won a 2nd term in 1864 it was done, no chance for the south to win. But, it wasn't because cotton was not profitable. Perversely, it was because cotton had been "too profitable" leading up to the war and encouraged the south to feel overstrong while not understanding that those bumper crops in the late 1850s created a cushion against a supply shock from a loss of north American cotton.

I assure you I am no fan of the CSA. But, I do assess the situation rationally. The south was roped into the war by foolish arrogance created precisely because cotton had just been king, even helping to prop banks up during the panic of 1857. They didn't understand modern economics enough to know that by the time 1861 rolled around, it was already too late. If they'd wanted to do this more intelligently, they'd have imported more of the means of fighting an extended war before commencing aggressions. They certainly had the gold and silver to back such buying. Let us all be thankful that they did not.

That aside, perhaps we should move this portion of the discussion to the Vicky 4 forums ;)

Well there are pop demands, pop radicalisms, control levels of provinces equivalent to the debuffs of vicky 2, production methods, building inputs etc......we arguably are in a hosted Vicky 4 mod that takes us back to the EU period :) .

I actually agree that southern planters weren't complete idiots they had to engage in capitalism or either a Northern or European merchant would cheat them our of everything, and that the northerners would be willing to make the sacrifices to conquer the 11 seceding states wasn't a given (Lincoln at the very least feared McClellan in the 1864 election). Thinking King Cotton could work however didn't just take misunderstanding the British mood towards slavery it also took overlooking the source of Britain's food imports. Northerners didn't understand other people either (i.e. nearly bringing Britain to war with the unprovoked Trent Affair, thinking that if they pointed a sword at Spain they could awaken latent nationalism in the south getting them to back down etc) so I don't blame them for failing to understand non-southerners when the same was true of northerners failing to understand non-northerners but the failure was pretty spectacular.

While southern planters have had their reputations as idiots who couldn't understand a ledger if you wrote it out for a child is undeserved Northern business and industry was doing just fine before the invention of the cotton gin, it would become dominated by cotton but prior to cotton American Capitalism was important enough for Thomas Jefferson to go to war with the barbary states at a time before Cotton's triumph (the cotton gin was invented and cotton was expanding but the merchants, farmers and industrialists who had their goods seized by barbary corsairs weren't dealing in cotton yet).

Where I disagree with you is mainly the American capitalism developed from southern cotton which I think is a cultural remnant of the civil war. The way the American economy functioned didn't change as cotton became larger and larger it just become bigger. Even the bigger economy thing varies, in Wisconsin prior to the civil war you would be asked "what cotton mills".

I also should mention you didn't come across as an apologist at all, I apologize if it seemed like I was calling you of one. It isn't just the civil war, if you have the impression that Japan had horrible pilots and horrible planes in WW2 how ever could they have sunk the Prince of Wales?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Well there are pop demands, pop radicalisms, control levels of provinces equivalent to the debuffs of vicky 2, production methods, building inputs etc......we arguably are in a hosted Vicky 4 mod that takes us back to the EU period :) .

I actually agree that southern planters weren't complete idiots they had to engage in capitalism or either a Northern or European merchant would cheat them our of everything, and that the northerners would be willing to make the sacrifices to conquer the 11 seceding states wasn't a given (Lincoln at the very least feared McClellan in the 1864 election). Thinking King Cotton could work however didn't just take misunderstanding the British mood towards slavery it also took overlooking the source of Britain's food imports. Northerners didn't understand other people either (i.e. nearly bringing Britain to war with the unprovoked Trent Affair, thinking that if they pointed a sword at Spain they could awaken latent nationalism in the south getting them to back down etc) so I don't blame them for failing to understand non-southerners when the same was true of northerners failing to understand non-northerners but the failure was pretty spectacular.

While southern planters have had their reputations as idiots who couldn't understand a ledger if you wrote it out for a child is undeserved Northern business and industry was doing just fine before the invention of the cotton gin, it would become dominated by cotton but prior to cotton American Capitalism was important enough for Thomas Jefferson to go to war with the barbary states at a time before Cotton's triumph (the cotton gin was invented and cotton was expanding but the merchants, farmers and industrialists who had their goods seized by barbary corsairs weren't dealing in cotton yet).

Where I disagree with you is mainly the American capitalism developed from southern cotton which I think is a cultural remnant of the civil war. The way the American economy functioned didn't change as cotton became larger and larger it just become bigger. Even the bigger economy thing varies, in Wisconsin prior to the civil war you would be asked "what cotton mills".

I also should mention you didn't come across as an apologist at all, I apologize if it seemed like I was calling you of one. It isn't just the civil war, if you have the impression that Japan had horrible pilots and horrible planes in WW2 how ever could they have sunk the Prince of Wales?

Japan's airforce had terrible pilots by the end of WWII, mainly because they had run their airforce so hard for so long that many/most of their best pilots were dead and they were short on refined fuel to fly planes at all. Late Japan airforce was putting people in the air with little training time and it went as badly as you'd expect.

American capitalism's rapid financial capital growth, used to create physical capital, mostly in the north, was heavily propped up by southern deposits from plantation owners and the merchants who shipped slaves from West Africa to the south. Obviously it would have developed eventually regardless. The speed of its development was heavily dependent on that excess profit generated by either finding and selling chattel slaves or working them, even in industries which had nothing to do with slavery at all.

And yeah, the last thing I want people to think I'm doing is being a CSA-apologist. I assure you I'm not. Had I been in charge of reconstruction, the pre-CSA states would have been dissolved and reconstructed with different borders and names to make wholly clear that the "old ways" were over. I probably also would have held treason trials for people who were heavily involved in the CSA government. I don't believe it would have been worth going after common soldiers though, perhaps some of the top generals.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Japan's airforce had terrible pilots by the end of WWII, mainly because they had run their airforce so hard for so long that many/most of their best pilots were dead and they were short on refined fuel to fly planes at all. Late Japan airforce was putting people in the air with little training time and it went as badly as you'd expect.

American capitalism's rapid financial capital growth, used to create physical capital, mostly in the north, was heavily propped up by southern deposits from plantation owners and the merchants who shipped slaves from West Africa to the south. Obviously it would have developed eventually regardless. The speed of its development was heavily dependent on that excess profit generated by either finding and selling chattel slaves or working them, even in industries which had nothing to do with slavery at all.

And yeah, the last thing I want people to think I'm doing is being a CSA-apologist. I assure you I'm not. Had I been in charge of reconstruction, the pre-CSA states would have been dissolved and reconstructed with different borders and names to make wholly clear that the "old ways" were over. I probably also would have held treason trials for people who were heavily involved in the CSA government. I don't believe it would have been worth going after common soldiers though, perhaps some of the top generals.
well not is apologism, is only fact. Is like today a bank is a "mafia bank" can offer lower interest rate for attract clients and clean the money easier. If my enterprise become gigantic...i am a criminal? No. I can be helped by normal bank? sure. The mafia bank offering me lower interest rate, helped me more? sure.