• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
AlexanderPrimus said:
I'm really enjoying your AAR. Well done. :)
Thankyou, AlexanderPrimus! :cool:

To all my readAARs, I'm sorry it took me a whole extra week to get this chapter up. But, as they say, better late than never! :D

So, without further ado, I will now post the next chapter!

BOOK I
The Second Exodus
Book1.jpg

CHAPTER IX – Caleb the Benjamite

The Hebrews awoke early in the morning to find three Greek tunics nicely folded and sitting on a table in their room. Clearly Larissa, or perhaps one of the other slaves, had entered sometime during the night to leave the fresh clothes. Though it felt somewhat awkward, the Hebrews wore the tunics, preferring to wear clean clothes after their bath last night. Their only alternative would be to continue wearing their dirty, smelly robes.

After changing clothes, they opened the door to their room, and found Larissa standing there, waiting for them. She bowed, and motioned for them to proceed down the hall. As she did so, she said, “Good morning to you, masters. My master requests your presence at his breakfast table. I will show you the way.”

As the three Hebrews followed the girl, Jehu was surprised to notice that he found her attractive somehow. Being only ten years old, he had never before developed an interest in girls. But now, suddenly, he found himself entranced by this young slave girl who looked to be about his age. It was a strange, new feeling for him, and one he did not yet fully understand. Her straight brown hair was tied in a loose ponytail that reached down to her shoulders. What had really caught his attention were the freckles on her face, and her blue eyes that looked to be the colour of the sky.

At last they reached the dining room. There were six tables, each with a couch in front of it. Sitting in one couch was Nikodemos, with his wife and son on couches at either end. Across from them were the other three couches, which were currently vacant.

Nikodemos waved his guests over, and said, “Friends! Come, have a seat! I want you to meet my family!”

Larissa showed them to their couches, and then Nikodemos dismissed her. Jehu was sad to see her go. His gaze followed her until she left the room.

“This is my wife, Anastasia,” said the Greek, “and my son, Petros. He is 11 years old, about your age, Jehu, like I said.” Then, motioning to each of his guests, Nikodemos said, “Wife, son, I want you to meet Ahaz Bar-Caleb, Chief of the Hebrews. To his right is his son, Jehu. And to his left, this is his trusted friend and guardian, Ezra.”

Pleasantries were then exchanged. Food was brought in, but the Hebrews did not each much of it. Not wanting to be rude, Ahaz explained to Nikodemos about the Laws that Adonai had given them concerning food. He explained that some foods were Kosher, and therefore eatable by the Hebrews, and other foods were not Kosher, and could not be eaten without the Hebrew becoming unclean. Nikodemos seemed to understand, much as he had last night in the bath. Ahaz smiled and thanked him for being so understanding.

After breakfast, Nikodemos arranged for the tour of the city. Petros could not come. He had to go to the Didaskaleion, the school, for his education. But Nikodemos did bring along Larissa, who carried around a purse of her master’s money, in case the guests should find anything at the Agora which they wanted, Nikodemos wanted to be ready to purchase it for them. Jehu was very pleased to have her accompany the group.

And so the five left the house. As they walked through the streets of Kerkinitis, Nikodemos pointed out many different little points of interest. From time to time, Jehu would sneak a look at Larissa again. His attention was torn between her and the many wonders of Kerkinitis.

The first major stop in the tour was the reservoir. Nikodemos explained that this was where the city’s fresh water came from. There was an underground aqueduct which brought water from distant places and deposited it here in the heart of Kerkinitis. The Hebrews were all amazed by this. Nikodemos, being modest, replied, “This is nothing. To the west, the Romans have developed a more efficient and awe-inspiring method of transporting water in above-ground aqueducts. I hear that the Seleukid Empire even has a few brining water to their capitals of Seleukeia-on-the-Tigris and Antiocheia-on-the-Orontes. They are indeed amazing sights to behold. Perhaps one day we will build one ourselves.”

Nikodemos next showed them the public bath house. There was no need to enter it, he said. From inside it was basically just a larger version of the one in his home. But the building’s architecture was astonishing, and that was what he wanted his guests to see. And indeed they were awe struck.

Next he led them to the religious district of town. There they found shrines to many of the Greek gods, including Zeus, Area, Apollo, Poseidon, and others. The architecture was impressive, but the Hebrews felt uncomfortable around pagan centres of worship. Ahaz at last expressed his discomfort, and Nikodemos quickly led them away from there.

They next visited the Agora, the market place. There were many vendors there, selling everything from food and clothes to jewelry and perfumes. There were philosophers discussing the latest issues of the day. The Hebrews saw priests of the pagan deities there as well. Even some of the Citizen-Soldiers of Kerkinitis were there, keeping an eye out for thieves and pick-pockets. Amidst all these wonders, Jehu still could not stay focused. His gaze kept straying to Larissa. He hoped she wouldn’t notice him staring at her. If she did, it would be very embarrassing.

Nikodemos told them that there was one place of special interest at the Agora that he really wanted them to see. They asked what it was, but he said he did not want to tell them. They would have to wait and see.

He led them to one of the vendors, and they saw many paintings and writings for sale. The man who sold them did not look Greek at all. Rather… he looked like a Hebrew. The man greeted Nikodemos and said, “Lochagos! How have you been my friend?”

Nikodemos embraced the man and said, “I have been well! I want you to meet my friends. This is Ahaz, Chief of the Hebrews, and his son, Jehu, and his guard Ezra.”

The man shook hands with all of them and said, in Hebrew, “I am most honoured to meet you. I have heard all about your people’s journeys and exploits, and I must say, to be shaking your hands right now is truly a blessing.”

Ahaz replied, “How is it that you know our tongue and look like one of us?”

The man slapped his forehead lightly, as if to say ‘How could I forget?’, and said, “I apologize. I was so excited I did not introduce myself! I am Caleb Bar-Simeon of the Tribe of Benjamin.”

“You… you are a Jew?” asked Ezra.

“I am indeed,” replied Caleb.

“How is it that you came to live in this city, so far from Canaan?” asked Ahaz.

Caleb replied, “My father, Simeon, was a cartographer in the service of King Seleukos during his campaigns to claim his portion of Alexander’s empire. After the founding of the Seleukid Empire, my father retired from the King’s service and came with his whole family here to Kerkinitis. He was tired of the wars between the Diadochi, the Successors, and wanted to get as far away as possible. However, not being very wealthy, he could not afford to take us too far. But, the Diadochi do not often interfere with the Krimea, so this was good enough. We came here ten years ago, when I was only ten years old. I have learnt my father’s trade, and I make maps here in Kerkinitis now. I also use my skills to paint pictures, as you can see here.”

Indeed, Caleb had many paintings. The three Hebrews recognized many of the scenes depicted in Caleb’s paintings. The Garden of Eden, Moses before Pharaoh, Samson bringing down the temple to Baal, David slaying Goliath, Elijah’s contest with the priests of Baal on Mount Carmel, and many many others. Caleb explained that his paintings sold extremely well here in Kerkinitis, and even in other cities in the Krimea, because it provided fresh images to his Greek customers, as opposed to more of the same old mythology they had known all their lives.

Ahaz smiled, “Your work is indeed impressive, Caleb. I could use someone of your talents. What would you think of leaving Kerkinitis to join with my people?”

“I am honoured that you would ask me,” replied Caleb. “But I would like to ask that the offer extend to the other Jews in the city, as well.”

“You mean your family?” asked the Chief.

“Yes, my family. But also, the rest of the Jewish community,” came Caleb’s answer.

“The ‘community’?” asked Ahaz. “You mean, there are more Jews here in Kerkinitis?”

Caleb laughed jovially, “Indeed there are! We Jews have a way of getting around. There are Jewish communities in almost every Greek polis. Some of us have even travelled as far as Rome.”

“I did not know this,” said Ahaz. “But it makes sense. When Cyrus the Great conquered Babylon, he freed your people and returned them to Judea. But my people, the Ten Tribes of the north, we were not freed by him. We remained slaves as we had been since the days of the Assyrians. It wasn’t until Alexander invaded Persia that some of us were able to escape.”

“I would love to hear all the details from an actual participant of the Second Exodus! If Nikodemos doesn’t mind, I would like you all to come over to my home for supper tonight!” exclaimed the Jew.

Nikodemos nodded, “Indeed. But make sure that you return to my house in time to sleep. Tomorrow is your audience with the Tyrant. You should get your rest. Larissa will stay with you, and she will guide you back to my house when you are ready. I think I shall leave now. I will see you tonight.”

With that, Nikodemos left.

“So,” said Ezra, “You said that there were other Jews here? A whole community?”

“Yes,” replied Caleb. “But we are a small community, here. There are only about fifty of us. But I and my family are the only members of the Tribe of Benjamin in this city. Everyone refers to me as ‘Caleb the Benjamite’ to distinguish me from the other Caleb in our community. Most of the Jews here are Judahites. Although we do have one Levite, who serves as our Rabbi in the synagogue.”

The three men talked together all day. Jehu, being too young to understand or care about most of what they said, quickly grew bored. He decided to ask Larissa if she wanted to play. “Are you as bored as I am?” he asked. “Let’s play together!”

“Whatever you wish, master,” she replied.

“Do you not wish to play?” asked Jehu.

“I will do as you wish,” said the slave girl.

“That’s not what I asked,” said the boy.

Larissa’s lips drew into a shy smile, “I do indeed wish to play.”

“What would you like to play?”

Larissa was shocked. Nobody had ever cared about what she wanted before. Nikodemos and his family had always been kind masters. She had never been mistreated by her masters, and she certainly couldn't complain about her life. Though it wasn’t grand, she had seen free men who lived in worse conditions than she had. But, in all her ten years, nobody had ever actually cared about what she wanted. She smiled at this Hebrew boy who showed her such kindness, and said, “I would love to play whatever you want.”

“You not just saying that because you’re a…” Jehu was hesitant to use the word.

“…a slave?” replied Larissa. “No, I’m not just saying that. I really do want to play whatever you want to play.”

That evening, the guests were taken to Caleb’s house. They were introduced to his mother, and his two younger sisters, all of whom lived with Caleb, who was now head of the household, as his father had died a few years ago.

The women made Caleb’s guests feel very much at home. They cooked food and brought it for all of their guests, even Larissa. She was not treated like a slave, but rather she was treated just like the Hebrew guests. It was a nice change for her, and she decided to treasure this night forever, as she would probably never experience such a thing again for as long as she lived.

While they ate, Ahaz told Caleb the story of the Ten Tribes. Because of the Sacred Writings of the Books of the Kings, which recounted the history of Israel’s monarchy from the days of Saul, through David, the greatest of kings, to Solomon the Wise, to the split into the northern and southern kingdoms, and onwards until the fall of each kingdom, Caleb knew all about the kings of the north. Most of the kings had been Ephraimites, starting with Jeroboam I, the first king of the north. Because the Tribe of Ephraim was the dominant tribe in the northern kingdom, that realm was often referred to as the Kingdom of Ephraim, whereas in the south, the kings were all descended from King David, a Judahite, so the southern kingdom was called the Kingdom of Judah. Caleb knew that the last King of Ephraim, Hosea, had been an Ephraimite, and he knew that though Hosea had at last abolished the idols at Dan and Bethel, which Jeroboam I had set up, he had done other evils in the sight of Adonai, and together with all the people of the Ten Tribes, Hosea had angered Adonai to such an extent that He sent the Assyrians upon them, to destroy their kingdom and enslave them. Hosea was imprisoned, and his family, along with most of the Israelites in the Kingdom of Ephraim, were carried off and enslaved. But this was where Caleb’s knowledge ended. Nothing in the Sacred Writings discussed what happened to the Ten Tribes after the fall of Samaria.

This was where Ahaz began his story. Hosea had had three sons: Jonathan, Ahaziah, and Ish-Bosheth. Jonathon and Ish-Bosheth had both fallen in the battle at Samaria. The Assyrians had planned to kill Ahaziah, so that Hosea’s line would be ended and the Hebrews would have no more hope of resistance. But a loyal servant of the House of Hosea offered to wear Ahaziah’s royal robes, and to pose as the prince. The servant was slain, and the Assyrians thought they had wiped out the Hoseid line. But Ahaziah lived on. The people of the Ten Tribes looked to him for leadership. Unlike his father, and nearly all of the kings who had come before him, Ahaziah loved Adonai. According to Ahaz, only two other kings had ever had as much love for Adonai as Ahaziah Bar-Hosea, and those two kings were David, and Hezekiah of Judah.

Ahaziah told his people to be faithful, to beg Adonai for mercy, and to hope that one day their enslavement would end, as it had in Egypt 700 years earlier. And so, under the leadership of Ahaziah and his descendents, the Hebrews prayed for their deliverance. When the Babylonians conquered the Assyrian Empire, the Hebrews thought their salvation had come. But the Babylonians kept them as slaves, and even enslaved their Jewish brethren. When Cyrus the Great conquered Babylon, founded the Persian Empire, and freed the Jews, the Hebrews again thought their deliverance was at hand. But Cyrus, like the Babylonians before him, kept the Hebrews as slaves. It was not until Alexander III of Makedonia, known the world over as Alexander the Great, invaded Persia, that deliverance would come. In the turmoil and chaos that followed as Persia fell apart before the Conqueror’s onslaught, a descendant of Ahaziah Bar-Hosea, a man named Caleb Bar-Menahem, led the people to their freedom.

Most of the Hebrews had, by now, lost their Faith in Adonai, however. After 400 years of slavery to three different empires, they believed that Adonai had abandoned them, and so they abandoned Adonai. But 25,000 people still believed that Adonai loved them and cared for them, and they trusted Caleb when he said that it was Adonai’s Will for them to leave. They followed him north, out of Persia, and into the mountains, into a place called Iveria.

The Iverians ignored them for the most part, and the initial journey went well. However, when they came to the foot of the mountains of Iveria, they reached a vast plain, the steppes. The Hebrews did not realise that they were entering the land of a people known as the Skythians. Shortly after they reached the steppes, a large Skythian raiding party attacked. Many were killed in the ambush, including Caleb. This left Caleb’s son, Ahaz, a mere boy of 15, to lead the tribes. He led them to the mighty Bosporan Kingdom, the only state in those parts that did not fear the Skythians. The King of the Bosporus refused to help, and sent the Hebrews away. And so they were forced to wander for the past 39 years in the land of the Skythians. Their numbers dwindled over the years, due to Skythian attacks as well as starvation. Now the 11,000 survivors were seeking refuge here in the Krimea.

Caleb thanked his guest for telling him about the Ten Tribes, and expressed his sympathies for the hardships that had befallen them. He encouraged Ahaz to remain strong in the Faith, and to remember that Adonai would never abandon them.

The hour was now late, and so they said their goodbyes. Caleb said he would consider the offer to join the Hebrews, and he would present the offer to the other Jews of Kerkinitis.

Larissa then led the Hebrews to Nikodemos’ house, and took them to their room. After they closed the door, she returned to the room where the slaves of the house slept, and, lying on her mat, she thought of the young boy who treated her so well, and of the horrible history his people had endured. She pitied him. Though he had been free his whole life, he had lived a far worse life than she had. She hoped that somehow, she would be able to repay his kindness and help his life be better…

Last edited:
A touching tale, and one sure to win them endearment.

Hey everyone, I'm going to be away until June 28th, so no updates will come until then. But after my return, I promise to be more regular with updates. See you guys in a week! :cool:

Great history of the Northern Tribes; I enjoyed it very much. I like the budding friendship of Jehu and Larissa. I wonder what will happen next. :)

Enewald said:
aww.... how sweet. :)

and poor jews... never seen their home...

Evil mesopotamians and persians...
Evil Mesopotamians and Persians indeed. But as you will soon see, they aren't the only evil ones to bother the Hebrews...

stnylan said:
A touching tale, and one sure to win them endearment.
Very true, stnylan.

Eber said:
Great history of the Northern Tribes; I enjoyed it very much. I like the budding friendship of Jehu and Larissa. I wonder what will happen next. :)
Well, this next chapter should give some hints as to what will happen next. ;)

AlexanderPrimus said:
Intriguing tale! I look forward to its continuation. :D
Thankyou. I am pleased to announce that its continuation is coming right up! :cool:

Fiftypence said:
Great update. Looking forward to more. :)
Thanks! More is coming right up!

BOOK I
The Second Exodus
Book1.jpg

CHAPTER X – A Great Many Changes

Two years had passed. According to the Hebrew Calendar (the calendar now used by the Ten Tribes, one which differed from the calendar of their Jewish brethren) it was the 42nd year since the Second Exodus. To the Jews, this was the year 3469. By the Greek calendar it was the 488th year since the first Olympiad. In the far off city of Rome, the year was counted as the 462nd year since the founding of the City. And in a calendar that would not be used for centuries, the year was known as 292 B.C.

Jehu was now twelve years old. He had grown tall in the past two years, tall and strong. As he walked down the path, one which ran through many wheat fields, and fields of other assorted crops, he reflected on just how much had happened since that first fateful visit to Kerkinitis.

On the third and final day of the Hebrews’ visit to the city, his father, along with Nikodemos and Ezra, had appeared before the tyrant, Iason. Iason presented his offer again, an offer which was indeed generous. Ahaz had repeated that he would take the offer into consideration, but that he wanted to speak with the Archon of Cherson before making a final decision.

While the adults were away at the meeting, Jehu spent the day playing with Nikodemos’ son, Petros. The two got along well. Jehu also took any chances he could to sneak a peek at beautiful Larissa. It didn’t take Petros long to notice. The Greek boy began to tease Jehu playfully, telling him that it was weird for the son of a Chieftain to have a crush on a slave girl. Jehu spoke up in her defense, and a play fight soon broke out between the two, a fight which Jehu won.

In the afternoon, the adults returned, and Ahaz said it was time to leave. Like Petros, Nikodemos had not failed to notice Jehu’s interest in Larissa. For the sake of friendship, the Lochagos gave her to Jehu as a gift. He could not have been happier. But he wanted her to be happy, too. He had declared her free to go where she pleased. She had said that she wanted to stay with him, and to this day she was the lad’s personal attendant. This made him very happy, as it meant he spent all day, every day with her.

On their way out of the city, the Hebrews had stopped by the Jewish community to see if Caleb the Benjamite was coming with them, and if any other Jews wanted to come. In the end, Caleb, along with his mother and sisters, came. Two Jewish families came as well, both from the Tribe of Judah. This now meant that for the first time since King Solomon’s reign almost 800 years ago, all Twelve Tribes were represented in a single national entity.

The journey to Cherson had not proven to be as fruitful. The Chersonesians were much more xenophobic than the Kerkinitians. It seemed that Cherson did not share Kerkinitis’s love of Alexander’s Dream. Though there was indeed a small Jewish community in Cherson, the last thing the Chersonesians wanted was to have 11,000 more Hebrews living on their land. And so it was decided, the Hebrews would settle of Kerkinitian land. They would farm it, and give a portion of their produce to the polis. And in times of war, they would lend military support.

And so for the last two years the Hebrews had lived and prospered on Kerkinitian soil. Jehu made many trips, with Larissa and Ezra at his side, to Kerkinitis. He would often visit Nikodemos and Petros. He spent much time at the Agora as well. He enjoyed discussing philosophy and history with the learned men there.

Caleb the Benjamite had prospered with the Hebrews. He owned his own farm, and had become a respected member of the community. He was also among the strongest and bravest of warriors of the Hebrew nation. The other Jews were also prospering. Everything was serene.

For his twelfth birthday, Jehu had been given a full set of armour by Nikodemos. The Greek told him that this armour once belonged to a Spartan Peer who had fought at Thermopylae. Jehu didn’t quite know what a Spartan “Peer” was. Nikodemos explained to him that the Spartan society was very hierarchic, with little flexibility. He described it as a sort of step-ladder, with each level of society forming a different “rung” on the ladder. On the bottom rung were the Helots, the near-slaves of the Messenia Race who served the Spartans. Next up were the Squires, Helots who had shown potential in the martial arts, and also immigrants, who served the Spartan warriors as they trained and when they were on campaign. The next rung up were the Perioikoi, freemen without citizenship. They formed the main body of the Spartan Army, providing about 80% of the armed forces (freemen, that is, the Helots would provide at least two men for every one of all three free classes combined). The next class up were the Gentleman-Rankers, men with limited citizenship who were superior soldiers, and provided 15% of the armed forces. Last but not least, the highest rung on the ladder were the Peers, the Spartiatai. These were the full citizen warriors of Sparta. Their numbers were incredibly small. Together with the Gentleman-Rankers, they could field about 6,000 citizen soldiers, with close to 100,000 Perioikoi, and at least 200,000 Helot soldiers and squires. At Thermopylae, however, there had been only 600 soldiers from Sparta: 300 Peers and 300 Helot and Immigrant Squires. This armour belonged to one of the Peers who had fought and died there. Tradition says that this was the armour of Dienekes, the most famous Spartan at Thermopylae, excepting, ofcourse, King Leonidas. However, this claim was impossible to prove.

Jehu loved that armour, and took very good care of it. With the help of Larissa, he kept the bronze cuirass and helmet clean and shiny. The round Hoplon shield was red, with a white Lambda, the symbol of Sparta, on it. While it is true that most Spartan Lambdas were black, tradition said that during the last day of battle, this shield was one of thirty that was given to a Thespian soldier as a gift from the Spartans to honour their courage. The Thespian, according to tradition, did not feel worthy of the black Lambda, and so painted it white, the colour of his polis of Thespiae. Whatever the reason, this shield had a white Lambda. But the item which Jehu loved the most was the Xiphos sword.

Infact, Jehu wore this armour even now. He was on his way to a field in between the Hebrew land and Kerkinitis. There, he would meet some other Hebrew and Greek boys for a training match, under the guidance of an officer from Kerkinitis, who was teaching them not the old-style Hoplite Warfare, but the new Hellenistic style of Peltastai Warfare. This was a far more flexible system, first pioneered by the Diadochi during their wars for Alexander’s Empire. It was far more effective, especially against non-Greek enemies, than traditional Hoplite Warfare. And with the rise of Carthage and Rome to the west, flexibility (which was the strength of those armies) would be needed in the Greek armies as well.

Larissa walked alongside Jehu. He loved her company, and she enjoyed watching him battle with the others. He was the strongest, and most agile of all the boys in the field. He almost always won, and Larissa enjoyed cheering him on. Plus, she said that she had to be near him in case he was injured. If he were hurt while she was not there, she could never forgive herself. He smiled at the thought that she cared so much for him. He was glad that she felt for him as he did for her. He knew he would die for her in an instant.

He was also glad that she had forsaken her pagan ways. After she had become a part of the group, she had studied the Sacred Writings with Eleazar, who absolutely adored the inquisitive, yet always polite, young girl. Shortly after her eleventh birthday, she announced her official conversion. She had forever forsaken the pagan gods, and was now and forevermore, a worshipper of Adonai. This made Jehu very happy, because if she were not of the Faith, he would never be able to marry her, and there was nothing he wanted more than to marry her one day. Ahaz had performed the ceremony which adopted her into the Tribe of Ephraim. She was now an Ephraimite, just like him, which was perfect, because according to the Law, it was a sin to marry outside your tribe, lest the lands you possess, which were given to your tribe by Adonai, should be inherited by another tribe, to whom they do not belong. This was especially forbidden in the case of non-Hebrews. So, now that she was an Ephraimite, there was nothing blocking a future marriage.

He smiled to himself, this day was so good, nothing on earth could go wrong. But he was about to find out just how wrong things could go…

Jehu and Larissa heard the horses galloping quickly. The horses were behind them, but closing in fast. Jehu turned to see who it was, and recognized the plume sticking out of the lead rider’s helmet. It was Nikodemos! He waved at his friend, proud to show off the gift of armour that he was wearing. But Nikodemos did not wave back. The Greek and his two companions rode ride up to the pair, before Nikodemos dismounted and said, “Jehu! You have to come with me, now!”

Greeks2.jpg

Lochagos Nikodemos​

“What’s wrong, Nikodemos?” asked the lad.

“There’s no time! I’ll explain later! You and Larissa need to get on that horse NOW!” Nikodemos indicated to an empty saddle of a horse that one of his men had brought along with them. Understanding the urgency in the Greek’s voice, Jehu did not question again. He quickly led Larissa to the horse. He hopped on it, with his shield strapped to his left arm. Nikodemos helped Larissa up onto the saddle behind Jehu, and she held on to him tightly. Nikodemos quickly remounted his own horse, and said, “Follow me!”

As they rode, Jehu looked over and shouted (so as to be heard over the noise of four horses running at full speed), “Nikodemos! What’s going on?”

The Greek looked back at him and said, “I wouldn’t have believed it had I not seen it with my own eyes! Treachery!”

“What do you mean?” asked Jehu.

“Elihu, Chief of the Reubenites, has led an insurrection against your father! He was backed by all of the tribes except for Ephraim and Manasseh! Even my own polis has supported him! Iason sent an entire Thousand to assist in Elihu’s revolt! As soon as I knew what was planned, I rushed to find you!”

“But where are we going?”

“Away! Far away!”

“Why?”

“Jehu, your father is dead! Murdered by Elihu! Your own people are not safe anymore! We have to get you out of here!”

Jehu couldn’t believe it. Only yesterday he and Larissa had set off for the field. He had said goodbye to his father, and had expected to see him again in a week’s time, when the training exercise was over. Now he would never see Ahaz again.

“Take me back to the encampment!” he shouted, “I want to kill that devil!”

“You’d never reach him, Jehu! My two guards and I will die to defend you, but even with your valour, the four of us cannot overcome 2,000 Hebrew soldiers and 1,000 men from my own city! We have to flee to a safe haven. Perhaps to Olbia, or beyond that, Tyras!”

“But Olbia is a week away!”

“Then we ride for a week!”

They were interrupted by one of Nikodemos’ companions, who said, “Sir! I see six horsemen riding to intercept us! They look like Hebrews!”

“Damn it!” shouted Nikodemos, “Elihu’s men! They’ve caught up to us! Boys, be ready to defend this lad to the death! We’re outnumbered, so let’s try to avoid a fight! Dig your heels into those horses like you’re trying to make them sick! Go! Go! Go!”

The riders drove those horses on as though the Reaper himself were on their tail. But it was no use. The six Hebrew riders caught up to them and blocked their path. Jehu recognized their leader as Caleb the Benjamite.

Caleb said, “Hand over Jehu, you Greek!”

“So you can take him to Elihu? I don’t think so!” was the reply.

“Wait… you are… against Elihu?” asked the Benjamite with a disbelieving tone.

“I am.”

“But what of your city? Surely out of loyalty to your city, which is allied to Elihu and his men, you are bringing Jehu to them for executing?”

“I didn’t realise what a treacherous bastard Iason was. Ahaz was my friend, and so is Jehu. I and my men here will die to defend this boy,” said Nikodemos.

“Then it seems our causes are alike,” said Caleb. “Where were you taking him, then?”

“To Olbia, or perhaps to Tyras.”

“Then we shall come with you! Nine defenders are better than three. Maybe we can find help in Olbia or Tyras.”

“How do I know you aren’t spies for Elihu?” asked the Greek.

“Ahaz was my friend, too,” said the Benjamite. “I’ve known him for two years and I have never known a better man. Besides, if I were for Elihu, my men and I would have killed you by now and taken Jehu for ourselves. We have advantage enough, you know that. The very fact that I am here trying to convince you that I am not for Elihu, should be proof enough of my loyalty to Jehu.”

“I trust him,” said Jehu. “Caleb would never betray us. Trust him, Nikodemos.”

“So be it.”

But before they could set off once more, more horsemen were seen catching up to them. There looked to be about twenty of them.

“More of your men?” Nikodemos asked.

Caleb shook his head, “No, these are all I have.” He indicated to the five men who were with him.

Then one of the companions saw the plumes on the helmets of the pursuing riders. “They're Greeks!” he called out.

“Soldiers from Kerkinitis,” confirmed Nikodemos. “They’ll catch up to us soon. Quick, Jehu, go with Caleb! Caleb, swear to me you will get him to safety!”

“Before Adonai I give you my word!”

With that, Nikodemos and his men wheeled about. Jehu realized what they were doing and shouted, “No, Nikodemos! You can’t!”

Nikodemos looked back to the boy and said, “If we don’t, then they will catch you. Go, Jehu. Go, and live. And come back one day to free your people!”

Caleb said, “Give them hell.”

Nikodemos chuckled and said, “Alright boys, this is what we’ve trained for all our lives! Forget that these men we now face are our own countrymen. They are our countrymen no longer,” then, indicating to the Hebrews, “These now are our countrymen, and we will die to defend them! So on lads! Sell your lives dearly!” With that, he raised a loud battle cry and spurred his horse on towards the enemy, followed by his two loyal guards.

Caleb gestured for the Hebrews to get moving and said, “Jehu! We have to go now! Otherwise, his sacrifice will mean nothing! Come on!”

Jehu took one last look at the friend he had known for two years, the man who had given him the armour he now wore, and, more importantly, the girl he loved. A tear trickled down his cheek and he said, “Thankyou.” Then he spurred his horse onwards, as his six Hebrew guards encircled him and rode with him and Larissa, on the way to Olbia…

Enewald said:
How dramatic! :eek:

Hmm... this makes the story even better... as I am sure he shall have his revenge. :)
Indeed, it wouldn't be a good story if the badguy Elihu gets away with it, now would it? :)

But I won't tell you how or when... that would ruin the story.

gis said:
Hmmm.... But we know Jehu needs to survive in order to get to Britain... hmmm... I wonder how this turns out...
You shall see... you shall see...

AlexanderPrimus said:
Oh my goodness!

Curse those treacherous Reubenites...
One day Jehu will lead the Ephraimites in taking revenge.

Gripping update. :D
Indeed he shall. But how? When? All that is yet to be answered.

Thankyou! I'm glad it was so gripping! I actually wasn't too happy with the way that second part turned out. But since it got responses like this, maybe I didn't screw it up afterall! :)

Fiftypence said:
Wow, death and betrayal. Jehu has a long, difficult journey in front of him.
You have no idea how long or difficult... but soon you shall... :D

Hey everyone, today I got this idea, thanks to canonized and his AAR Timelines: What if Spain Failed to Control the World? The idea was to make a "movie" poster for my AARs. I already made one for The Morea, A Palaeologid AAR, and now I've made one for Regnum Iudaeorum. Ofcourse, you don't know most of the cast just yet, but you'll meet them all soon. Let me know what you think of the poster. Constructive Criticism is just as glady received as praise. :cool:
Jehu1.png

Credit is also due to canonized here. He took my poster and made it the masterpiece that stands before you now. :)

Last edited:
That was an unlikely surprise with Ahaz dying! At least Jehu was able to get away safely with the help of Caleb.

Jehu was extremely happy with Larissa's situation, but then his father dies. Nothing can ever go right for him, huh?

Eber said:
That was an unlikely surprise with Ahaz dying! At least Jehu was able to get away safely with the help of Caleb.

Jehu was extremely happy with Larissa's situation, but then his father dies. Nothing can ever go right for him, huh?
I'm glad that that plot twist was so unexpected. Lately I've felt that I was becoming too predicatble in my Morea AAR, so I wanted to try to improve on that, and that chapter was my guinea pig. I'm glad it worked. :cool:

If you think things have gone wrong now... :eek:

By the way, a new and improved (thankyou canonized!) version of the poster is up! Take a look!

Mhm... Guinea pigs....

What, oh? Yeah. That's right.
Damn nice poster

All hail to the canonized crusader knights! Something something.

Incubux said:
Mhm... Guinea pigs....

What, oh? Yeah. That's right.
Damn nice poster

All hail to the canonized crusader knights! Something something.
Lol. I didn't say you guys were the Guinea pigs. I said the chapter was! :p :)

Thanks for the compliments of the poster. :cool:

Enewald said:
I like the poster, but shouldn't it say 'Episode One'? :p

But still looks nice. :)
I guess, in theory, it should. But, there's already so much writing up there, I didn't want to add "Book I" to that. Besides, now it has a bit more of a Lord of the Rings feel to it. They don't call the movies "Lord of the Rings: Book I: The Fellowship of the Ring" etc.. :cool: :)